Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ograbme
Jul 26, 2003

D--n it, how he nicks 'em
The virus will just die out in the summer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee

Das Boo posted:

I liked when you couldn't suddenly buy stuff because doomers were stockpiling poo poo. Need some paper plates? Should've been quicker. Pickles? Not in my county. Laundry detergent? Hey, how about gently caress you.

lol why did you need paper plates? were you hosting a bbq?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Gasmask posted:

lol why did you need paper plates? were you hosting a bbq?

Short answer? Cats.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Are you saying you buy paper plates because you can't just wash plates after the cat(s) eats?

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Ograbme posted:

The virus You will just die out in the summer.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

I use paper plates because I'm a lazy slob personally.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
That coffin dance meme was pretty good

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

satanic splash-back posted:

Are you saying you buy paper plates because you can't just wash plates after the cat(s) eats?

Long answer is that one of my dogs is a rescue with food trauma. He'll sneak or steal any food at ground level, so the cat food gets set atop a freezer chest. So part one is that paper plates don't shatter if/when they get knocked over. Part two is that dishes became both overwhelming and scarce when my sister's family fled Malaysia and had to live with us, bringing the household from 4 to 9 people.

The cats got paper plates. If it makes you feel any better, they went back to plastic ones once my sister's family left.

Billy Ray Blowjob
Nov 30, 2011

by Pragmatica
I made this in June 2020 and yeah I guess it came true

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
At the start of the pandemic, the country I live in (Japan) had a hard requirement of a fever of 37.5 or higher for four days or recent overseas travel in order to get tested. Near the end of March of 2020, I got a low fever that hovered around 37.4 and had difficulty breathing. Counting my blessings that I wasn't living in the US anymore, I tried to go to a doctor, only to get turned away because I had a fever. I called the government's covid testing hotline, only to be told to go to a doctor because my fever wasn't high enough. :thumbsup: I got tossed around in this bureaucratic loop for like two weeks while my pulse oximeter was regularly dropping below 94%, all while my job was threatening to fire me if I didn't get a doctor's note.

Eventually my fever fell enough that I was able to see a doctor, and they did a whole bunch of tests (but no coivd test!) that wound up entirely inconclusive. I've been left with random bouts of breathlessness and similar fevers that come up a couple times a year and last a week or two, which I suspect might be long covid, but I've never popped positive on a test so who knows. :shrug:

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

My wife and I did an escape room with some friends in February of 2020. We were all talking about covid and wondering if it was something to worry about. The escape room smelled like hand sanitizer and I remember just soaking my hands with the stuff afterwards, thinking "Was this a mistake?".

The first time someone I knew said they were "tired" of taking precautions (this was June of 2020) and realizing that covid was going to become another left wing vs right wing thing.

Telling my in-laws that we weren't doing Thanksgiving 2020 and them acting like we were completely insane.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

I remember hearing the phrase "social distancing" for the first time and wondering what the gently caress it meant. Also all the social media posts from dipshits cooking food at home for the first time in their lives.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

advertisements for Corona beer completely vanished

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Peggy Edson posted:

lol i completely forgot about this

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
everyone downloaded tiktok

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Peggy Edson posted:

i drank a lot of corona in the first few weeks because it was marked down a lot

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
i spent 800 dollars on booze once I realized I was gonna be locked in my 1br apartment with my girlfriend for the next few months.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
The first mask I tried to buy off amazon because I didn't want to leave the house was a literal hairband they slapped a "medical mask" title on. It covered either my nose or mouth but not both and cost over 30 dollars.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

i miss audience-less sports

they were all way wackier and better and nobody will admit it

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Corona-chan: the viral waifu who will leave you breathless.

https://i.imgur.com/lhooWTe.mp4

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009

Tristesse posted:

The first mask I tried to buy off amazon because I didn't want to leave the house was a literal hairband they slapped a "medical mask" title on. It covered either my nose or mouth but not both and cost over 30 dollars.

For a while at the start of the pandemic, disposable surgical masks were impossible to find anywhere in Japan. The prime minister decided to send a pair of washable cloth masks to every household in the country, except it ended up taking so long that they only started showing up in peoples' mailboxes months after production had ramped back up and masks were back on the shelves. When they did come, they were tiny, uncomfortable, and a lot of them had defects or were delivered with hair and other contaminants inside the packaging. The entire fiasco cost taxpayers several hundred million dollars.

To top things off, after Abe got merked last month, some people started rewriting history on Japanese Twitter and other social media sites, praising his lovely mask program and how he saved so many lives (he didn't) by taking prompt action (it was not prompt).

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Das Boo posted:

Also Mom's fine!

That’s a good thing :)

My mom is going into the hospital this Monday to have her spleen removed and I know she’ll be fine, too :hai:

My coworker had no toilet paper at home in the beginning and he was desperate. During work hours, we went to two Costcos, one Sam’s Club, and a few Walmarts and Targets in between work orders to find nothing but empty shelves. He didn’t know what to do.

Just by chance, the custodial part of work got sent two boxes of the wrong toilet paper. The company couldn’t return it because of Covid protocols, so he took a box and I took a box after slipping the guy who orders supplies a couple of :10bux: without the company’s involvement. I didn’t need TP at the time because I had plenty, but I bought the box anyway because I wasn’t sure how long the TP shortage was gonna last. Of course, coworker complained because it was single-ply, but he was always a chronic complainer :milk:

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Peggy Edson posted:

drinking corona is a massive self own. overpriced piss. :haibrow:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeiCpt1iKks

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

This isn't weird but I remember listening to this song on repeat because frankly, it slaps and it slaps hard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9o6-TELdvRY

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

I remember for like 3 weeks, people wouldn't stand right next to others and I could almost go a whole day without smelling some stranger's BO.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER
ALL DOGS LOVED, ALL THE TIME
pee your pants challenge on tik tok or w/e

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
Watching the world lock down but everything being exactly the same here other than masks and restaurants closing because I live in MAGAland

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

this becoming a real thing that did not offend delivery drivers

thomawesome
Jul 19, 2009
Pigeons taking over a completely ghost land downtown Chicago was weird. Having an entire train car to myself on the L during peak rush hour was really strange too. Also it was weird getting paid more while on unemployment than working was pretty sweet, except Florida still owes me multiple months in back pay that I never saw.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

The time the New England Patriots team plan was used to fly in PPE to avoid the Trump administration's tendency to steal supplies purchased by states was...a thing.

I ordered toilet paper, by coincidence, right before there was a run on it and ended up taking trips to my relatives places to drop off extra rolls (it's just two of us and I bought a year's worth) at the height of the supply chain problems.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

people being stupid enough to buy a years supply of toilet paper

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

Daytime soap opera actors kissing mannequins.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

I hate the chuds

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Peggy Edson posted:

I remember going to the local Harris Teeter and people were buying literal boxes of toilet paper

idk if they were trying to resell or what but I do remember checking like every day to see if they restocked lol

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

FreeRangeHexagon
Apr 17, 2022

Ograbme posted:

The virus will just die out in the summer.

has there ever been a link established between covid transmission and climate? people were so confident that it would spread more in cold climates, or dry climates, or wet climates or something like that. The exact details were very inconsistent but people were confident that seasons would affect it, and that certain countries would have it better/worse because of their local climate.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Peggy Edson posted:

With just two people the large packs last forever, especially if both of you are out of the house for 12 hours five days a week. Back before we were remote a 24 pack was a once a year purchase.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe
I changed jobs in March 2020...to events management. That worked well! I was in the role for three weeks and then all the company's events were cancelled, half the staff were made redundant (inc. myself) and they closed the office in my city. The last time I saw my colleague who I shared a desk with we were talking about "this coronavirus thing" and she was saying how if it gets over to Europe we'd have to cancel all our shows and I breezily said that "oh, it'll be like SARS and bird flu...it won't come to that". Displaying my usual level of success in predicting the future there!

We had the sudden shortages of toilet rolls and anything vaguely fitting the description of 'hand wash' here too.

When the schools were shut but before lockdown was called all the kids on my street spent a day doing morale-boosting pavement art in chalk:

When the first lockdown happened it was genuinely eerie how quiet it was - the house is about 1/4 mile from an elevated motorway so there's usually at least a background swish of traffic noise...but then there was nothing. You could hear only birdsong, trees rustling and if someone so much as slammed a door several streets away you could hear it. Really odd to cycle to the shops and be the only traffic.

I should have taken pics, but it was strange seeing posters and flyers up around town for events in the summer of 2020 - some with 'cancelled' stuck or scrawled over them buy others just left to slowly fade and rot. Like something out of an apocalyptic movie.

For the first couple of weeks of lockdown everyone was pretty good about wearing masks, sanitising, keeping distance, filling in the tracing book in places that had it and so on, and generally people seemed to be making the effort to be aware and understanding of others. I briefly wondered if this was going to remind people that Society Actually Exists. Then the pandemic measures began to cleave along left/right political lines and suddenly wearing a face mask was just like the holocaust and furlough was a plot to destroy our work ethic and half the country instantly stopped giving a poo poo and became petty, aggressive assholes again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I liked when absolutely everyone hosed off to a cabin for holiday in autumn of 2020.