Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Animal-Mother posted:

what's their yakety-sax-as-the-towers-fall video?

ours as the people in their 30s and 40s during COVID was for sure the HCA's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Jelly posted:

There's a fine line between getting the vaccine and not getting the vaccine.

I could really care less about your mask use at this point if you're vaccinated. Vaccination is the most important thing required to save lives, if you did that, we're square, considering the massive portion of the country that didn't.

Comparing people who simply don't wear masks anymore or want to go to a restaurant after they've been vaccinated and boosted to someone who denied the vaccine existed, killed their grandma and their wife, and uses the phrase "Fauci ouchie" is a wild take.

Pretty wild take to get all red and nude about drunk driving imo, if you wear a seatbelt you've done your duty

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Pretty wild take to get all red and nude about drunk driving imo, if you wear a seatbelt you've done your duty

I see this thread is firmly into "what strained covid comparisons can I use to own someone" territory now.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
Jesus christ we are still doing this poo poo huh

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

satanic splash-back posted:

I see this thread is firmly into "what strained covid comparisons can I use to own someone" territory now.

Does that not count as an early covid thing

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Did anyone mention yoga yet? Because like a lot of people I learned basic yoga out of sheer boredom but I still do yoga a couple days a week because yoga owns and I'm glad I discovered it even if the circumstances sucked

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life
I remember being warned about this by friends in China. I remember feeling like a nutter buying a bunch of n95 masks. Just in case. Just so I can say I was prepared and did something. But I’ll never need them.

Then cases happened in the US and I left for work that Friday knowing I would refuse to come in on Monday. Thinking I could get fired or people would think I was weird. Sort of normal Friday. Everyone acted normal.

Monday nobody went into the office and that Friday was actually my last normal workday with co workers and all that to this day two or so years later.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
The government of a Canadian province officially endorsed glory holes as a covid-safer method for getting your gently caress on

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
The brainiacs of Instacart allow customers to request that their shopper just leave the delivery at the front door, but if they buy cold/flu medication, the shopper must scan their ID to verify the customer is over 18. Thus forcing their employees to interact face-to-face with customers who are specifically too sick to go to the grocery store and are buying flu/covid medication, but not customers who aren’t buying flu/cold medication.

I’m sure that the owners of Instacart don’t give two fucks about their employees though, so they probably don’t care.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Sucrose posted:

The brainiacs of Instacart allow customers to request that their shopper just leave the delivery at the front door, but if they buy cold/flu medication, the shopper must scan their ID to verify the customer is over 18. Thus forcing their employees to interact face-to-face with customers who are specifically too sick to go to the grocery store and are buying flu/covid medication, but not customers who aren’t buying flu/cold medication.

I’m sure that the owners of Instacart don’t give two fucks about their employees though, so they probably don’t care.

They care about avoiding lawsuits and fines

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Elephant Ambush posted:

Did anyone mention yoga yet? Because like a lot of people I learned basic yoga out of sheer boredom but I still do yoga a couple days a week because yoga owns and I'm glad I discovered it even if the circumstances sucked

Out here it was just having kids

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

JetSetGo posted:

The streets being empty of nearly all traffic. Felt like some real apocalyptic poo poo cause where I live its super densely populated.
The highways were nothing but 18 wheeler traffic and V8 cars street racing / just hooning about because gas was $1.30.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
i remember the subways slowing become more and more empty as the days went by. the streets in midtown nyc were empty during the day.

by the end of march 202 (when i ended up losing my job) there was pretty much only a few people in my regular subway car during rush hour.

at the hotel i worked in, the occupancy was 5%, and it was mostly europeans that couldn't travel home. i wasn't there for it, but when the hotel shut down i was told they had to call the police to remove the guests who had nowhere to go.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

I so miss covid driving. Largely empty roads and a nice quick transit to wherever I was going.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020

Elephant Ambush posted:

I did it once, my gf made me stop because of all the noises I made.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Tarkus posted:

I so miss covid driving. Largely empty roads and a nice quick transit to wherever I was going.

I already touched on deserted roads when I was working, but before Covid, my drive time to and from work was an hour round trip. When everything shut down, my round trip commute was half of that; it was so nice not having traffic and stupid drivers on the roads.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Out here it was just having kids

Or learning how to make bread. I only know one couple that ended up with a COVID baby which was kind of funny because they were talking about having another before COVID hit, decided to hold off until things got sorted out just to get pregnant like a week we went to WFH.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Not sure if this is early COVID or already mentioned: Smoking real cigarettes, again.

Pre-Covid, public smoking seemed to have largely vanished in my area. A lot of vaping, e-cigs, etc. But traditional cigarettes seemed largely vanished.

Since Covid started? I seemed to notice people lighting up a hell of a lot more. I'm sure there was a lot of factors at play for it, though. Social isolation, stress, no longer being trapped in situations that prevented you from smoking in the first place, etc.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Lazyfire posted:

Or learning how to make bread. I only know one couple that ended up with a COVID baby which was kind of funny because they were talking about having another before COVID hit, decided to hold off until things got sorted out just to get pregnant like a week we went to WFH.

Don't even get me started on the breadmaking craze. I can't imagine how many pounds of flour went into the dumpster because of dumbass panic buying trends. Stuff like toilet paper was vaguely understandable because of supply chain discrepancies between people who were used to spending a good chunk of their awake hours at work vs at home, but flour being sold out in the initial panic buys was so lovely for people who actually cook because it was so transparently obvious the majority of those bags went towards a single instagram post before the people who never liked cooking and were never going to like cooking just went back to ordering uber eats or whatever. This was made clear in the second round of panic buys/shortages when stuff like toilet paper or tissues went out of stock again but flour and various other dried goods were just fine because the idiots that never cooked a day in their life before 2020 still had 19.5 of the 20 pounds they bought a couple months prior. If you could consolidate the waste of everyone pretending to be an amateur baker for 2 months you could probably fill entire landfills with their leftover flour.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

my grocery store was sold out of flour, rice, and beans for a few weeks, but it eventually came back with a 1 per customer limit. the thing that i remember being completely gone for months (other than toilet paper) is yeast.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

ArbitraryC posted:

Don't even get me started on the breadmaking craze. I can't imagine how many pounds of flour went into the dumpster because of dumbass panic buying trends. Stuff like toilet paper was vaguely understandable because of supply chain discrepancies between people who were used to spending a good chunk of their awake hours at work vs at home, but flour being sold out in the initial panic buys was so lovely for people who actually cook because it was so transparently obvious the majority of those bags went towards a single instagram post before the people who never liked cooking and were never going to like cooking just went back to ordering uber eats or whatever. This was made clear in the second round of panic buys/shortages when stuff like toilet paper or tissues went out of stock again but flour and various other dried goods were just fine because the idiots that never cooked a day in their life before 2020 still had 19.5 of the 20 pounds they bought a couple months prior. If you could consolidate the waste of everyone pretending to be an amateur baker for 2 months you could probably fill entire landfills with their leftover flour.

I still have a 20lb bag of flour and a bunch of stale yeast. Plz don't doxx me.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Some company a few years ago sold a multipack of preportioned 1-cup bags of flour that I bought when they were on clearance. Too expensive at full price, but I have to admit they were pretty cool for just having a small stockpile for infrequent use.

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

ArbitraryC posted:

Maybe if you actually cooked you'd have some extra flour lying around? :thunk:

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Tarkus posted:

I still have a 20lb bag of flour and a bunch of stale yeast. Plz don't doxx me.

I will end you!

Skrill.exe posted:

Maybe if you actually cooked you'd have some extra flour lying around? :thunk:

I had a p good stockpile of shelf stable foods at the start of covid because I'm a loser who gets excited about local crate sales so there's always 2 dedicated cabinets in the house full of stuff like canned tomatoes, boxes of pasta, blah blah blah, but I coincidentally was running low on flour right as the original runs started and by god I was so mad cause I knew the vast majority of those sold out bags never got opened again after their first use. The number of fb posts I saw from friends whom I'm well aware don't really ever cook showing a single lovely loaf they probably didn't finish eating are innumerable but I could count on zero hands the number of bread posts I saw 2 months after the trend passed, that's food some families regularly rely on stretching their budget and would have been particularly important during those tough times but it all just went to the dumpster for shares on instagram.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I finally got over my early covid trauma enough to read Station Eleven, so that's cool

ellasmith
Sep 29, 2021

by Azathoth
I think it's kind of lame that I got a 3 day probe for posting a thread that people liked enough to get to 7 pages and counting, but whatever. I'll keep trying to produce thoughtful conversational pieces for GBS.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

wizard

master

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
fart

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

ArbitraryC posted:

I was one of those people who took up baking during lockdown, so I did indeed buy a bag of flour when I found one in stock. Turns out I love baking for my friends and family, and my cookies are delicious!

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
We're still in the early phase of the pandemic, lmao.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
No we're definitely living in late pandemicism

Petty Haberdasher
Jul 28, 2012
“During this unprecedented time…” in every email and advertisement for 7 months straight. Eventually it stopped when it was a big enough running joke but for a while there was no escaping the phrase.

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

I think "the new normal" as marketing shorthand was worse because it was an early signifier of the fact we were going to do the bare minimum or less and then give up

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
I spent way too much time on goontube

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

Petty Haberdasher posted:

“During this unprecedented time…” in every email and advertisement for 7 months straight. Eventually it stopped when it was a big enough running joke but for a while there was no escaping the phrase.

I liked when the pandemic put a swift end to a decade or so of music in tv commercials being all jolly ukulele/glockenspiel/whistling and replaced that with stark, weepy piano vamping for a while. Now the trend seems to be frantic rhythmic stomping and clapping sounds which I found hilarious once I started noticing it.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
"out of an abundance of caution..."

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

‘We’re all in this together…’

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I enjoyed the near-empty plane the one time I had to fly. Haven't been on anything less than actually-have-enough-overhead-storage in 20 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Petty Haberdasher posted:

People got annoyed when I pointed out that America had a similar plague 100 years ago lol