Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
CSPAM is pretty good but America is very bad. can someone do something about that?

NHD is a good mod choice but also it's considered cruel and unusual punishment to subject a goon to such horrors. alas

Ardennes is a good poster and if you need more blue stars, they should be re-modded for cspam.

although i don't think we need many more mods/ik though: the forums are dying and there's like maybe <100 posters these days -- though that's a greater trend is just goon hemorrhaging badly the past 2 year.. everyone has become indifferently-jaded and weary and most of the obnoxious righteous fury of scolding has been snuffed out (which is good) so things usually run themselves fairly well except for having to tell zegermans to shut the gently caress up once in awhile. there's still a few main characters that show up once in awhile but it's low-level like cosmic microwave background radiation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Decent subforum, could reign in the casual bigotry by a degree or ten though. It always isn't clear where the line is because different rules apply to different posters.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Probe paul soccer every time they miss a snipe.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

StashAugustine posted:

Yeah this is kinda the problem, it's 90% awful white noise and 10% really funny so it's hard to draw lines around it

my guess is you'd just increase the burden on the mods a lot if this kind of thing got probed outside extreme cases, and in the crossfire you'd whack off a lot of good posters who just have a "don't tell me what to do" attitude

Man Musk posted:

Decent subforum, could reign in the casual bigotry by a degree or ten though. It always isn't clear where the line is because different rules apply to different posters.

any examples of casual bigotry that aren't already punished? r-slur(recession) or something else going on here?

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

speng31b posted:

my guess is you'd just increase the burden on the mods a lot if this kind of thing got probed outside extreme cases, and in the crossfire you'd whack off a lot of good posters who just have a "don't tell me what to do" attitude

Yeah, this is an ongoing issue and a pretty good summary of why it is hard to crack down. I don't come here to read D&D or hear about the internecine slapfights that happen there, and given that we routinely have 2x to 3x the number of people reading us than D&D, I suspect that most other posters don't either.

At a basic level, this place is much better when we have our own identity and not be the place where D&D is bitched about endlessly. I'm sure there's a bunch of discords available for people who like that sort of thing.

But on the other side, there are often enough some absolutely buckwild poo poo that gets posted there (or in GBS) that banning SYQ isn't gonna happen. It's just too rich a vein of content. It just would be nice if people could understand the difference between "look at this tedious slapfight" and "I think this person just invented a new racial slur" levels of content.

quote:

any examples of casual bigotry that aren't already punished? r-slur(recession) or something else going on here?

I would also like to know this.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Azathoth posted:

Yeah, this is an ongoing issue and a pretty good summary of why it is hard to crack down. I don't come here to read D&D or hear about the internecine slapfights that happen there, and given that we routinely have 2x to 3x the number of people reading us than D&D, I suspect that most other posters don't either.

At a basic level, this place is much better when we have our own identity and not be the place where D&D is bitched about endlessly. I'm sure there's a bunch of discords available for people who like that sort of thing.

But on the other side, there are often enough some absolutely buckwild poo poo that gets posted there (or in GBS) that banning SYQ isn't gonna happen. It's just too rich a vein of content. It just would be nice if people could understand the difference between "look at this tedious slapfight" and "I think this person just invented a new racial slur" levels of content.

I've said this before elsewhere but this is more or less my feelings on SYQ as well. CSPAM is at its best when it's a standalone politics forum for jokes and casual posting, and at its worst when it's a forum for helldumping D&D. It's boring and whiny and if I wanted to read all the ins and outs of a D&D thread, I would go read D&D. We're our own forum with our own threads and our own identity, we should be able to have our own discussions that don't revolve around rubbernecking the neighbours.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Azathoth posted:

I would also like to know this.

CSPAM desperately needs to get a better disability analysis then just no slurs.

On an unrelated note, :gas: the glem thread.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Azathoth posted:

It just would be nice if people could understand the difference between "look at this tedious slapfight" and "I think this person just invented a new racial slur" levels of content.

I think the existing rule covers it pretty well:

quote:

10. Do not directly link quotes to D&D threads from CSPAM (i.e. unsourced/unlinked & unattributed quotes are fine). Do not post in D&D and then come back to CSPAM to giggle about owned libs or your imminent probation. What you post in D&D is your business, and when you post there you are subject to their rules and moderation.

When people skirt this rule it's always dumb unfunny slapfights getting posted. Even good posters aren't objective about what's exceptionally funny or deranged if they're mad about it or have a posting grudge

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

speng31b posted:

yeah this weirdo called someone an anti-semite based on more or less literally nothing, huh can't remember who that guy was fan fusk, something like that

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

speng31b posted:

I think they're referring to me because I made a jokey thread about the balkans?

Man Musk posted:

just a dash of antisemitism in the op because it is the balkans and it is ironic for a region with a history of pogroms, and not because the op is antisemitic and needs to be rescued from time to time in QCS 🤌

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.
More posters should be gay

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

StratGoatCom posted:

CSPAM desperately needs to get a better disability analysis then just no slurs.

On an unrelated note, :gas: the glem thread.

Wrong and no

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

living up to that red text.

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

StratGoatCom posted:

living up to that red text.

Thats right and now you've irritated me enough on a saturday morning I'm going to bring the brunt of the entire US security state to track you down and have your rear end on a plane to an Egyptian black site, see you there :wink:

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

I'm open to getting rid of the glenn greenwald thread and banning all of its posters, but I need to hear more details first.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Every thread in CSPAM is already about being disabled though.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Calibanibal posted:

I'm open to getting rid of the glenn greenwald thread and banning all of its posters, but I need to hear more details first.

Hey, that's taking it too far, some of them are capable of being good posters in other threads, but that thread succs.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

StratGoatCom posted:

Hey, that's taking it too far, some of them are capable of being good posters in other threads, but that thread succs.

What specifically do you dislike about the thread? Any problematic posts?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Calibanibal posted:

What specifically do you dislike about the thread? Any problematic posts?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=215880

this guy seems really problematic

:yikes:

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

I think some people dislike Glenn as a person and journalist and assume everyone in the thread is extremely pro Glenn because they've seen aggressive randos get mocked for popping up and refusing to be nice or discuss things outside of epic ownz and "trolling"

Personally my experience there has been really positive and a lot of the posters in the glenn thread are kind and supportive of people learning more about the world. Check it out (but don't jump in with the intention of owning someone over famed liberal glenn greenwald)

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

speng31b posted:

Yeah that's kind of the problem, I don't know if there's a good way to administer a rule about SYQ outside just banning it entirely. I like SYQ in its original form where you trick people into arguing with a post from somewhere else because that's actually putting the content to good use. Like everyone else has said, who gives a poo poo about D&D or GBS, I'd go there and read the posts there if I wanted to read those forums and anyone who posts about their internet argument on those forums here is embarassing.

Best I've done is asked people to tone it down when it turns into like 70% of a thread's posts and most people are happy to chill out.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Every thread in CSPAM is already about being disabled though.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
mods should try being super pro-syq and see how the community reacts

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
one thread for SYQs is borderline too many

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

glenn thread should be moved to that byob subforum

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

speng31b posted:

Man Musk means bigotry against idiots, which is somewhat of a personal issue for them.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

studio mujahideen posted:

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

studio mujahideen posted:

no

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Why do some of us feel that the glenn thread should be moved to a different subforum?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Nothing should ever be moved to byob.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.
glenn thread should be moved to d&d

a cultural exchange sort of thing. we'll merge their politoons thread with ours

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Calibanibal posted:

Why do some of us feel that the glenn thread should be moved to a different subforum?

electra complex

Fart Dumbass
May 31, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Calibanibal posted:

it would upset some nerds, and that would be funny.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

D&D already has a glenn thread, it got closed after 3 pages because people kept on talking about how they wanted to murder glenn.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

tokin opposition posted:

glenn thread should be moved to d&d

a cultural exchange sort of thing. we'll merge their politoons thread with ours

Instead of gassing threads, they should be moved to D&D. Use it as our Hell Circus.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Free Larry
Free cumshitter

Grats to everyone getting stars

The rest is fine.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

AnimeIsTrash posted:

D&D already has a glenn thread, it got closed after 3 pages because people kept on talking about how they wanted to murder glenn.

debaters who get things done

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

There seems to be a legitimate class of poster who thinks that gassing a thread causes physical harm to the posters of that thread. O_o

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Free Larry
Free cumshitter

Grats to everyone getting stars

The rest is fine.

free Alex because some of those Avi’s he was buying made me laugh really hard