Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

cursedshitbox posted:

I've seen a string of failures with the Dana S110/130/M300 axle, running extremely heavy, and the 42s. With the duals the load is centered over the massive bearings. Going super single, does this, loading the races in incorrect ways. Those tires are rated for 68mph. The G275 is rated for 81mph. That's a lot of rotational speed on incorrectly loaded bearings. I do not think that a wheel bearing failure would have caused the driveline to fail. It's a full float axle.

I think the dumbest part of that is it appears they didn't do it for a good reason. There is nothing occupying the space where the inner tire would go. They didn't gain cabin space or lower floor height or articulation or anything. And they sure as gently caress didn't save any money on this piece of poo poo. The only reason I can imagine is they wanted cooler wheels on it. Are there really no cool dual wheels? Could they not put a more appropriate axle on it?

edit: Mother of god, it can carry over 1000 lb of diesel.

And yeah it looks like they didn't do any weight saving on it. Motorized bed/table? Glass shower door? External subwoofers? I bet the countertop is actual 3/4" thick quartz. This thing is not intended to go off road at all, it is intended to park near other people at a paved park and annoy the poo poo out of them by blasting Skynyrd at 127 dB.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jul 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

It's a niche vehicle marketed towards people with more money than sense. The ultimate Mall Crawler to park on pavement and sip martinis in, it's more of a suggestion of overlanding really.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
It's the offset in converting a drw hub to srw.
https://www.dbldesign.com/
https://1stattack.com/super-single-wheels-2/
https://www.elevationoffgrid.com/

It's around 10 thou for tires wheels.
Recommend regearing to 6.17:1 gear from 4.88:1. effectively a little deeper than stock with 42s. Needed with the detuned 6.7. iirc 5.13 is close to the 4.30 that my 550 is equipped with, but the 19,500lb gvrs are 4.88:1 only. Those suckers are spun out at 60mph. Mine is turning 2100 at 68. Over that and it drinks fuel while aggressively filling the dpf.
Kelderman/Liquidspring is another 10-15 large. I'm not familiar with the air ride kit on this specific 550.

MPT81s like above last 15-20k mi if rotated 5k on the nose. If I ran those I'd be most of the way through my second set, at $1200 per.
The GSA275 will last around 30k. Those are around 2k/tire.

The 19.5's tire support ends around a 35. Otherwise it's going to a 10 hole budd (semi truck) pattern and running 20s/22.5s.

A possible (bad) combo at this class would be a bus 365/70R22.5 front with dual 11R22.5 rears.
Why is it bad? 20 thousand pounds of capacity in rubber on a front axle good for 7500. Unless someone spends for the D80 upgrade from dbl and it's 11k-lb now.
Get a 4wd ex powerline truck and put this rubber on that tbh.

The M300 i'm pretty sure is spec built for the domestic duty pickups.
It replaced the S110/S130 like my 550 has. These have drop out thirds. And there's a larger version used in class 6 trucks rated up to 17,500. Biggest difference is the housing thickness and the splines of the stub axles. Air brakes optional; juice comes standard.

Honestly I've never seen one of these integrated overlanders go somewhere that would warrant the conversion to a tire this large. They would be a hard sale at the price even for my use case, not when the stock works work nearly as good.

150 gallons of fuel would be nice on a platform that gets... 5mpg. the 40 gal tank my trucks have is a real limiter in off-road range.

There's so much inefficiency in the design of this thing. The table absolutely won't work after a trip to Burningtechbro. Which, that's its core demographic. fesh fesh will get into the mechanism and immediately seize it.... halfway between states.
Glass shower door on the cheapest shittiest integrated wetbath. Have fun pooping into a garbage bag after your buddy just showered.

Tezer
Jul 9, 2001

cursedshitbox posted:

tbh? heat pump and get the big heckin aircon unit off the roof. Lay it all in solar. Delete the cranky generator and put the heat pump there. Air handler where the furnace once was.

Any theories on what equipment you would buy for this, or would you just home brew the entire thing? Not sure I've seen any 12v/24v split systems with a reversing valve, but I'm also pretty ignorant on the subject.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
run whatever single zone off the shelf minisplit on 110V since the inverter can power it without issue. I'll reinvent a ford, however there's no need to reinvent refrigeration.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Platform Hot Springs, Nowhere, NV.

It's been wet lately and the flats are kinda floody. Jeeping it in to make sure the new to us 550 will make it.

This Promaster, however didn't. For some reason rather than drive through the flooded section they tried a go around with a fwd van. It did not work to plan. The washout is maybe a foot or two deep.

Being that the jeep has a winch we rendered assistance and easily pulled them back onto the road.

We followed them back out to get the rig since this looks all passable to us.

Turns out not only is there natural hotsprings here, but also old mining remnants.

There's so much garnet just laying around.

We're parked by what is known as the Conquest Mine. Largely a tungsten mine and Molybdenum

A free range furnace.

Please don't take the artifacts.

Looking down the nearby shaft.

The miners worked this area over pretty well. Just stripping the mountain down.

Down in the lowest pit. It's blocked off so I can't enter.

Bore holes still visible.

Look at this heckin unit of garnet. The crystal structure is gorgeous.

Overview of some of the workings.

The other working is the Linka Mine. More tungsten here and garnetite. Lots of limestone and intrusive granitic rock here.
This is the main haulage.

If you ever come here, approach with caution, The supporting rock is undercut under the metal grate.
And it's a long long way down.

Some other findings. This is the good stuff.

I'm parked right behind the old mill. This is the view.

Another round of peesha courtesy of the exploding oven.

And burritos, again, as always.

The hot springs are natural, and with that comes varying temperatures. Sometimes hot enough to cook someone to medium well, other times too cold.

The hot spring is good. Very good. Too good. How can I get this onboard. drat.

The MTBing around here is all gravel biking. This is fine.

Exploding oven I said? Yes. Exploding oven.
These things were Designed in about 1934. And not much has changed.
Ours loving exploded because safety critical components aren't really meant for high intensity vibrations it turns out. Coupled with getting beat up by the road and the cast irons that live around. Yeah.

We were hanging out and I was warming up the oven to do a round of the three hour potate project and it fireballed. Neither of us smelled gas. It blew the heavy sprung oven door open. Luckily the hatches and windows were open otherwise it would have blown the glass out. I saw the fireball and jumped clean out of the back and landed on broken class gashing my foot open. My brain went full on adhd reboot. He's yelling to shut the gas off, I figure my poo poo out after what seemed like an hour, and shut the gas bottles off. My ears are ringing. We're both in in a panic and pumped full of adrenaline.

Jesus loving gently caress this thing almost killed us.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
Seeing that Promaster reminds me of my upcoming trip where I'll be spending a couple nights in a promaster. We won't be fording any flooded roads, though... I often wonder what this thread would be like if you had gone the camper van route, likely a merc 4x4 with the turbo diesel? We'd probably miss out on a lot of the structural engineering bits you've had to do, but it would be cool seeing how you went about wiring the solar and ac and whatnot on the roof and the custom cabinetry you'd have had to make. Doubt you'd have gone for the built in exploding oven, though. Maybe just a toaster and a weber Q hanging off the back with the bikes?

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Rock lickin', Ford tickin', oven (whats a synonym for explosion that's rhymes with lickin' and tickin'?) BICin'?

One nice thing about keeping our hair as short as you, your hubby, and I do is that incidental explosions don't leave us looking all... disheveled.

Happy 4th of July!

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Saw this, thought of you and that million dollar shitpile.

Isuzu NPS 75/155, Stessco 4.09 Bass Explorer with side console and 40HP Yamaha motor, Lotus Off Grid 23’3ft caravan. 10.5 tons (with 500l water), 26l/100km (9mpg). Approx $400k dollarydoos. Touring Oz with 3 kids.

https://www.lotuscaravans.com.au/assets/media/pdf/lotus_caravans_off-grid_233-foot-og233dt_13032020.pdf

tinned owl
Oct 5, 2021
That looks miserable to drive

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Presumably you can't really take a caravan on anything significantly hilly off-road. Descending would be a nightmare.

Got to say having a boat sounds a lot of fun exploring coastal areas. I guess no slipways so getting it into the water is a bit ???

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

knox_harrington posted:

Presumably you can't really take a caravan on anything significantly hilly off-road. Descending would be a nightmare.

Got to say having a boat sounds a lot of fun exploring coastal areas. I guess no slipways so getting it into the water is a bit ???

Judging by the results in the thread, you're not doing any significant hilly stuff in those types of trucks either without risking breaking the poo poo out of the truck or the camper anyway. At least towing a caravan you have the option of leaving the van at a site and exploring in the truck alone.

As for the boat, who needs a ramp/slipway? It's not that big, you just launch it anywhere, a beach is natures boat ramp.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

cursedshitbox posted:

Jesus loving gently caress this thing almost killed us.

Never change, Dometic. :allears:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

El Jebus posted:

Seeing that Promaster reminds me of my upcoming trip where I'll be spending a couple nights in a promaster. We won't be fording any flooded roads, though... I often wonder what this thread would be like if you had gone the camper van route, likely a merc 4x4 with the turbo diesel? We'd probably miss out on a lot of the structural engineering bits you've had to do, but it would be cool seeing how you went about wiring the solar and ac and whatnot on the roof and the custom cabinetry you'd have had to make. Doubt you'd have gone for the built in exploding oven, though. Maybe just a toaster and a weber Q hanging off the back with the bikes?

Promasters have glassomatic slushies. Read a story of some people that built a brand new one up to run the americas with, it poo poo out a transmission somewhere in central america. They hauled one down from the US to fix it.

I'm leery of Merc poo poo because of STAR. HPFP, turbo, transmission, emission systems plagues, just like I'm dealing with now, but with no diagnostic tooling for the end user.
I'd love one of the old 80s merc truck sized vans. I'd be in a world of poo poo here in amerikastan getting parts for it. Maybe if I relocate to Germany.

Serious note if covid didn't kick off I was looking to trade donk for a delica star wagon. Yeah I know they're poo poo. Read my threads. Everything is poo poo.

BuckyDoneGun posted:

Isuzu NPS 75/155, Stessco 4.09 Bass Explorer with side console and 40HP Yamaha motor, Lotus Off Grid 23’3ft caravan. 10.5 tons (with 500l water), 26l/100km (9mpg). Approx $400k dollarydoos. Touring Oz with 3 kids.

I think I follow them on IG. They do some wacky poo poo with that rig. Like absolutely sending it up sandy hill climbs pulling the trailer. Bonkers stuff. Especially with the weight.
It doesn't offer anything donk doesn't, other than half the power and a much better frame/transmission. Maybe aircon.

madeintaipei posted:

One nice thing about keeping our hair as short as you, your hubby, and I do is that incidental explosions don't leave us looking all... disheveled.

I lost my eyebrows and some arm hair in the first one. This one we both were far enough away to be fine. Whatever I'm a mr clean looking mf anyway.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jul 4, 2023

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Like, one of these? This one was a 4-cyl diesel...

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yes! Glacially slow but will get there.

This fucker has been listed for quite a while. Graft in a hightop and send.

(click photo for ad)

E: The holy grail of econolines. The E550 with 4wd.
https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/rvs/d/bellingham-24-quigley-4x4-cutaway/7637739074.html

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jul 4, 2023

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

knox_harrington posted:

I live in Florida, tons of coastline and lakes, and we take our paddleboards everywhere we go for exploring. Getting into the water is almost never an issue. If we want to go further out of range of the boards for fishing or whatever, we just rent a boat or hire a charter. We also have a 14' skiff that the car handles just fine for more local areas, but we may take it on a few road trips soon.

Have thought of getting one of those small and light tent trailers to camp in that my xB could tow, but it's honestly way better and easier to rent a place to stay in especially in the summer when you gotta have AC. And even if I did want to go to a bigger travel trailer and get a truck/suv to tow it, I don't have the room for it anyway. So our mode of travel and adventure is paddleboards/fishing gear/bikes on the roof of the car and/or tow the skiff to a location we want to explore and use an Air BnB for base camp :v:

tinned owl
Oct 5, 2021

That's awesome.

Also paying for gear for the sake of having flashy gear is an awful idea, it just becomes a liability.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

knox_harrington posted:

It's Oz. 3/4 of the country is practically uninhibited no man's land, you can literally just find a beach or shallow enough shoreline and shove it in.

What I love about these set ups is that they seem to be reasonably common and actually get used beyond parking at a campground, to an extreme, like the family that got rescued out of the Simpson Desert when they got too stuck.

Seems to be a pretty proven setup so long as you don't find yourself in a wet Simpson Desert.

Also it's a cabover so you can actually see out of it.

tinned owl
Oct 5, 2021
How's engine access? Do the crew cabs tilt?

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

cursedshitbox posted:

Yes! Glacially slow but will get there.

This fucker has been listed for quite a while. Graft in a hightop and send.

(click photo for ad)

This had me thinking a Pinzgauer would work, and looks like it would!

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1986-pinzgauer-718/

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

tinned owl posted:

As I understand it, the crew cabs don't come with a tilt cab, but I've definitely seen them tilted so there's probably an aftermarket solution of some kind.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

tinned owl posted:

With about 5 extra steps. Still easier than tilting the cab on a superduty.

knox_harrington posted:

Costs about that of a new superduty, with similar parts availability. Way, Way, more character though. If you're going to spend your time broken down in a ditch, might as well do it with something interesting.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I live in Florida, tons of coastline and lakes, and we take our paddleboards everywhere we go for exploring. Getting into the water is almost never an issue. If we want to go further out of range of the boards for fishing or whatever, we just rent a boat or hire a charter. We also have a 14' skiff that the car handles just fine for more local areas, but we may take it on a few road trips soon.

Have thought of getting one of those small and light tent trailers to camp in that my xB could tow, but it's honestly way better and easier to rent a place to stay in especially in the summer when you gotta have AC. And even if I did want to go to a bigger travel trailer and get a truck/suv to tow it, I don't have the room for it anyway. So our mode of travel and adventure is paddleboards/fishing gear/bikes on the roof of the car and/or tow the skiff to a location we want to explore and use an Air BnB for base camp :v:

Just run the XB. Seriously.
Back in the day I ran this hilarious contraption with 50k dollar rubicanalmosts. I camped all over socal back in like 2009 with this thing taking it places I absolutely shouldn't, sometimes burying it up to the doors in sand.

It ran aspire struts, lcas, half shafts, brakes, and 13" wheels. The f3a automatic never gave up despite sometimes blowing cooler lines and pumping itself dry.
The only thing that stopped that car was deep water crossings and emissions tests.
ARB didn't like it when I swapped the aspire head + ems + egr valve on to try and further reduce its emissions. Its hanging out on top of a container at a junkyard somewhere in socal now.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

That's the poo poo

cursedshitbox posted:

Just run the XB. Seriously.

Oh I plan to, it's been all over Florida already, I'm gonna run it into the ground unless I give it to my son then he can.

Thought about getting a Maverick hybrid for awhile but it's not worth the bullshit, and this thread hasn't helped my confidence in Ford either :v:

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

knox_harrington posted:

Speaking of the Pinzgauer, Mogfest seems like a place I might meet CSB at some day. http://www.northwestmogfest.com/2023/05/23/northwest-mogfest-2023/

LightRailTycoon
Mar 24, 2017
Volvo c303?
Edit:too small

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

LightRailTycoon posted:

Volvo c303?
Edit:too small

Fortunately there is a solution to that called the C306.

Probably still too small with the default body though. I wonder what ever happened with Dockers C306.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

tinned owl posted:

The video CSB linked shows the detail but to summarise: the crew cab is bolted down, but has the hinge still, just with no spring assists, and it's heavy as gently caress, so you need something to help lift it - these builds with the boat carrying setup all seem to have like 3 winches (front, rear and one for the boat) so you could rig something up with them to help, plus there's an engine PTO. However, you also have hatches under the front seats for inspection and regular servicing, the tilt is only there for "major" work.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

cursedshitbox posted:

Costs about that of a new superduty, with similar parts availability. Way, Way, more character though. If you're going to spend your time broken down in a ditch, might as well do it with something interesting.

I love this sentiment!

As the owner of a procession of 10-15 year old "unique" foreign and domestic luxury cars, with a good smattering of cheapish Daimler-Chrysler products with the wrong engine worked in, I agree.

The most "normal" vehicle you've ever owned. I'll go first:

1990 Volvo 740GL station wagon, 2.3L non-turbo. Was cheap, is car. Slow, steady, competent feeling. Aftermarket rear diff lock for xxx-treme traction. Lots of room. Surprisingly good parts availability and designed to be easy to fix, with most regular maintenance tasks doable with the included tool kit. Six years as the third owner, finally got too expensive to fix at 320,000 miles.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I'm extremely fascinated by the trekking around southern Nevada/northern Arizona earlier in the thread and enjoy your time there. I do wonder if the 11 is going to change much. I live near the 19 and routinely drove on the 8 for work just having a freeway doesn't magically create business in desolate areas. The 8 especially is full of completely abandoned truck stops and hotels and I think this is gonna be the fate of the stuff they build around the 11, and I think the portion south of Phoenix will never come.

I do think it's weird how little public camping there is around Kingman. I guess they expect everyone to just continue on to the Grand Canyon.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

I wonder what ever happened with Dockers C306.

I too am curious.

madeintaipei posted:

The most "normal" vehicle you've ever owned. I'll go first:

His jeep I think. Tbh I've had a lot of normal un-hosed with cars. 190es, festivas, a volt, that sorta stuff. Typically book ends between the more eclectic poo poo that left me doing road side repairs here and there.

I sold the last rover in 2014. It was stripped and sent away on a flatbed in less than 24 hours after it popped a hg from shitpart headbolts. I should have studded it. Whatever. At the same time I owned a 190e with a 2.6. In the middle of a move it ate the harmonic balancer seal and almost set it self on fire. Taking it apart I discovered that the crank was chewed up and the harmonic balancer mount had been spinning on it, which tore out the seal. I welded the mount to the crank and sold the car for less than the 500E brake kit, 400E wheels and new tires I parts binned and put on it just a few weeks prior. I was planning a 300CE-24V swap because it would sneak under CA's visual inspection test with intact CIS-E. I was done. I didn't own a 'car' again till the volt in 2020. I was moto only till I broke my knee in 2016 and bought the f350 because he wouldn't let me ride to class. Logical solution: bought a stick. Yeah I could push a clutch with my crutch, so what. That fucker was mostly a driveway ornament that was convenient for shop things.

I got out of cars more or less and went all in on moto. I was tired of my fleet always violating my wrench to ride agreement. I sold everything and bought a klr650 in 2014. I killed that a year later when a dingdong on a dirtbike made a left turn into me without checking their six. Good riddance what a terrible bike.
In 2015 came the mutant drz that would usually start but sometimes needed a good kick. 400cc punched out with a 4mm stroke, 4mm bore, to 470cc. wide ratio transmission, sub tanks in the heavily modified drz forks to bridge the gap between dualsport and supermoto. Of course it had two wheelsets for the task at hand. Its cooling system is kind of hokey, it ate a lot of final drive parts and stators. I broke the subframe overloading it doing overlanding poo poo. I needed a bigger bike and knew this. I flew halfway across the country after searching for almost 2 years to buy the ktm 950. I rode it home in 2 days. If it wasn't gonna make this trip, it was never gonna make any trip.The drz saw 3 states. The 950 has been to 7. There were never any threads for this. When Applebees talks about doing the car thing and hoteling it, the 950 was that. With a little extra dirt action. Mostly boondocking. Sometimes hotels. moto + hotel is absolute pro tier stuff. Especially if there's a hotspring involved. I'm a geriatric millennial, poo poo hurts everywhere. One of the biggest sucks of being on the road is doing a full days drive then not getting a nice long hot shower afterwards. That's bullshit.

Thanksgiving 2017, Bowman Lake.
The full enchilada... er.. stuffed bird.

Wine in nalgene containers. packs better.

He was at the end of his rope riding out, I rode both bikes out. Ride half a mile, park, hike back, grab the other, ride, rinse lather repeat.
The too-clever Austrians put a road-sized sidestand on this bike of mine. It fell over often till I welded a big foot on it.

Bodie. There are caretakers that fulltime here. Getting snowed completely in during the winter. The TC has never been here. Visit if you ever pass through the area.

Hwy 1 to Oregon.

Japanese style natural hotsprings in the north eastern corner of CA.

The 950 was not free of issues though. When I got it both intake cams were timed a tooth out and it was jetted for Mount Everest. The steering head bearings were destroyed with false brinnelling. The rear axle was corrosion welded into the swing arm. That's why he didn't put new tires on it. Ah. It made it home though. It was the one.
The PO put a knockoff aliexpress fuel pump in the bike. It died in death valley. A literal mile from where his Suzuki Dr650 swallowed a valve right at 30,000miles back in 2015.

I rode it to Pahrump without the pump by keeping the tanks slam full of fuel and gravity feeding the dual carbs. Fixed it with another knockoff pump in an Oreilly parking lot.

Same trip, it ate the stator in Tuscon. Rode it from Tuscon to home in the SF bay in one sitting by keeping the bike spun over 6k so that it would charge the battery. It doesn't break often but when it does, it makes it count but it still sort of works. It's resilient. I need that. The brick, it's also resilient.

I don't particularly wish to go back to a car. Probably ever.
Where I'm going with all this is, the two trucks and the hab are a cubic sized project. They cost to build, they cost to run, they cost to park, they cost to keep working, etc. Now we're adding extra hassles to this.
CA has passed some legislation to protect consumers with respect to insurance. All but 6 companies have pulled out of this state. This is going to be a problem of running any 'truck' over 5tons gvwr or with a non-traditional-pickup-bed.

The dickbags over at geico sent out a notice 20 days ago that just arrived with 10 days left that they're dropping my entire insurance policy. With two liens. Uh, no. Apparently I need a policy because of the flatbeds on both trucks that's going to run me 14 grand a year plus another 3-4k/yr for the jeep and two bikes. Wasn't a problem for the 7 years I've owned the f350 but now all of a sudden it's a loving crisis. In CA all trucks are titled as 'commercial'. This is a hassle. If the 550 were paid for (and not broken always) I could bolt the camper to it and re-title as a rv, just like everybody and their brother does. Right now, It's hassle city. It's all sorted now till next year but I'm seeing the writing on the wall here. I'm gonna need the magic title that says 'rv' on it. I like the 350 a hell of a lot more than the 550. The 550 has the character of a toaster and the serviceability of a unibody mac. I think long term it's getting sold, I'm looking at 15ish thousand to correct whatever is wrong with the 6.7 and bring it to that of the idi. That's a 2024 problem I hope.

Rick posted:

I'm extremely fascinated by the trekking around southern Nevada/northern Arizona earlier in the thread and enjoy your time there. I do wonder if the 11 is going to change much. I live near the 19 and routinely drove on the 8 for work just having a freeway doesn't magically create business in desolate areas. The 8 especially is full of completely abandoned truck stops and hotels and I think this is gonna be the fate of the stuff they build around the 11, and I think the portion south of Phoenix will never come.

I absolutely love exploring the back country areas of the west as this thread has shown. It's something I want to keep doing for a long, long time. I'm unsure what will happen with 11 and rural NV. I expect that if mining dries up the town is going to die quickly. It's a tale as old as time in this part of the country. Goldfield is getting a truckstop and they seem relatively enthused about 11. I doubt that the town will ever return to its former glory. RTE66 also tells a similar story. Especially with younger cohorts abandoning rural areas in favor of cities. There's nothing here. If I nick an artery faffing about with a piece of sheet stock in a shop here, I'm dead. Groceries are a 2-3 hour drive away. Amazon prime? haha no way. Doordash? not happening. nightlife? nope again.

The oven had three issues.

1. The pilot assembly was bent away from the flame tube, so that delays igniting by several seconds.
2. The pilot safety sensor popped out of its mounting location, so wasn't sensing that the pilot is on and running in ignite mode.
3. The pilot safety valve fell out of calibration and failed open (!!), so pilot on or off it did not care, it'd run the main gas.
When this is working correctly, thermostat asks for more heat. That opens up main gas flow and ignite pilot flow. Pilot is supposed to heat the sensor, and then a few seconds later when the ignition bit is red hot only then does gas flow to the burner after the pilot safety valve opens.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jul 6, 2023

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
God that had to be fun taking the bike out like that. It's definitely a dream at some point.

What were your thoughts in the volt btw? poo poo or just a standard gm car with no bells and whistles?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Loose thermocouple should kill the pilot.

Can't say I've ever heard of an ignitor head/valve failing in the open position :stare:

You two got off easy.

Any ideas what caused it?

tinned owl
Oct 5, 2021
You probably covered it way back in the mists of time but had you ever considered towing a camper of any sort instead of the slide in?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

UCS Hellmaker posted:

God that had to be fun taking the bike out like that. It's definitely a dream at some point.

What were your thoughts in the volt btw? poo poo or just a standard gm car with no bells and whistles?

I've put probably a quarter million miles or better on road going motos. Been in the dirt since a kid. I refuse to change that. After 2020 I have not been riding for reasons this thread goes into detail about.

The voltec system was brilliant. The gas generator was about as refined as the iron duke that powers Grumman LLVs. The platform is very...Opel. I liked it. It's heavy down low and corners like a sled. The car was sold to me having everything. It had everything except ACC. Turns out it was 2 months too old to have the harness. I had the car for maybe 6 months and 1500 miles. Camped in it a couple times. 2020 happened and all of a sudden I didn't need 2 motos, a truck, and a car.

It too made an excellent camper. Plug it in, put a hair scrunchie over the gear switch lockout and the hvac system stays live.

I would totally harvest parts from one to use as a hybrid conversion.

PainterofCrap posted:

Loose thermocouple should kill the pilot.

Can't say I've ever heard of an ignitor head/valve failing in the open position :stare:

You two got off easy.

Any ideas what caused it?

The safety valve has been broken longer than we've owned the camper.
Cast irons did the damage to the thermocouple mount and pilot assembly. That was totally my fault for leaving cast iron down in the bottom of the oven.
The safety valve would have caught this. But it wasn't working. So. Boom.

tinned owl posted:

You probably covered it way back in the mists of time but had you ever considered towing a camper of any sort instead of the slide in?
They're built like hot elkhart garbo and not built to go off-road. Would rather a bus. I explored the idea of doing a 35' fuzion toyhauler in 2019 but ultimately went this direction due to gtfo-ability from other plague infested humans.
I sometimes posit the loading from a air-hitch mounted 5er would have been gentler on the 350 than a slide in.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

cursedshitbox posted:

The voltec system was brilliant. The gas generator was about as refined as the iron duke that powers Grumman LLVs. The platform is very...Opel. I liked it. It's heavy down low and corners like a sled. The car was sold to me having everything. It had everything except ACC. Turns out it was 2 months too old to have the harness. I had the car for maybe 6 months and 1500 miles. Camped in it a couple times. 2020 happened and all of a sudden I didn't need 2 motos, a truck, and a car.

It too made an excellent camper. Plug it in, put a hair scrunchie over the gear switch lockout and the hvac system stays live.

Its a shame GM killed it off. I have a 2017 I brought brand new in December of 2016. 6 years and 90k miles later I still love it. Only issue I had was the infamous BECM failure back in April of this year. Fixed under warranty thankfully.

And it is great for camping! I wired up a Anderson connector directly to the DC-DC converter output terminals (conveniently located in the trunk). Makes attaching an inverter very easy. Great for camping and power outages.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
It is interesting they killed off the volt when it was a great system, but makes sense when they got rid of everything for crossovers as the smallest models. The tech however I think is being used in their hybrids, and the electric drivetrain is what they based the bolt and other new plugins off of.

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Patron Saint of Chickencheese

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Fortunately there is a solution to that called the C306.

Probably still too small with the default body though. I wonder what ever happened with Dockers C306.

I SLUMBER...

I'm afraid to disappoint the thread, but...

not much.

In my defense, shortly after I moved out here, I lucked into a job that catapaulted my career considerably. I've tripled my salary (more if you include healthcare benefits, which I did not have prior), and have been ... extremely busy, doing other things. Like building an entire homelab from scratch to learn how to do full sysadmin stuff. And then having to put myself through school for a full 4 year degree while working - My boss fought for me, and got them to "hold" a position for 3 years while I worked on the degree that it required. (I stuffed a 4 year degree into 3 years while working full time).

In the meanwhile, the Volvo experienced a total failure of the old brake system. I have completely replaced it, and the brakes WORK, but I'm having a lot of difficulty getting the non-adjustable drum system dialed in. I need to double-pump in order to fully engage them, and I'm 99.9% certain it's not air in the system, as it feels solid and doesn't "Fade" after 30 seconds, it stays locked. I THINK it's a case that I'm adjusting them wrong, and they need to be adjusted so they are dragging and not "back off one notch" or it's something I'm missing.
In either case, the whole project is on hold, as I want to completely gut and renovate it, but to do that I need a shop to work on it. And, well, while I have a shop, it's not in good shape right now, the previous owner kinda ramshackle-expanded it and left the back end as dirt and exposed, so humidity got into the building and wrecked the interior, and there's insulation falling off the walls and we still have crap in there from when we moved in etc...

To alleviate THAT, we need to have space to put a lot of the stuff, which means making room on the property for a place to put the boat trailer and a bunch of the other toys (including OpelLady's new... well I'll let her tell that tale when she's ready)...

but to do THAT means levelling off hillside and clearing out trees,
so uh,
welcome to the latest member of the family?

So yeah... I haven't been idle per se, just.... ridiculously busy on other fronts, driving myself insane. I do plan to get the shop rebuilt soon, I just need to finish out a couple of extra rooms in the garage we converted into office/lab/server/comedy 80's rumpus room to clear out materials from the shop. and finish the new parking spaces and storage spaces to clear out the other stuff. so I can gut the interior walls of the shop and rebuild it with a loft, with a nice HVAC controlled room for the machine equipment downstairs and storage up top....

plans. y'know.

What shocks me is the car I bought when I first got this job (my first new car I ever bought) ... I make the final payment on in 3 months. Where the everloving gently caress did the last 5 years go?

Anyways, Hi. I'm still here.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
how in the world do you have enough focus to do like 1/10 of that, much less all of it? superpowers, gotta be.

also i forgot five-ton lady had another name (and the car to go with it), lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Doccers posted:

I SLUMBER...

...Where the everloving gently caress did the last 5 years go?

Anyways, Hi. I'm still here.

Awesome. Glad to hear things are going well for you, however hectic they may be. Look forward to a new Doccers topic when life permits.