Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Rotten posted:

Not to derail this amazing thread, but are the tiger campers that are built with a pass through to the cab any good?

I'd not heard of this and was intrigued. $110K + the chassis cost. Got drat.

e: I know that "it's not a fifth wheel" is part of the appeal but boy you can get a decent fifth wheel for that.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Dec 17, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Is it okay to ask for recommendations ITT? Seems like the right crowd, happy to post elsewhere.

Can anyone point me to some good options for bolt in campers for late model pickups? Do places like Outdoor World have ones I can go see?

More context:
I am thinking of buying a 21/22/New 4 door F150 or similar in the next year. My wife and I love road trips, shes loves camping, I...prefer a 3+ star hotel. She'd be scared to tow a trailer so I'm looking at bolt in options for a camper that can be put in the bed of an F-150. I'm a Mech Eng, was a machinist, not scared of fiberglass work, so I'd happily do a DIY. Budget would be flexible (~$25K I pulled from thin air), I want to make a 3 star hotel on wheels. Should be able to use A/C with engine on, hot plate cook, microwave, fridge, etc.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Dec 29, 2022

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

cursedshitbox posted:

There's a dedicated tow pig thread for truckfuckling. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4011015
TGO has a dedicated rv thread. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3895768

Outside looking in? You won't get what you seek on a F350 let alone a F150. Luxury while parked and or moving is not light weight nor is it cheap. This thread is a testament to that.

TY! Ill read those.

Sounds like it is questionably made carbon fiber RV time.

EDIT: the RV thread and your posts in it are super helpful, thank you!

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Dec 29, 2022

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

sharkytm posted:

Hahahaha. No. Add a zero and you're on the cheap end of a 3-star hotel on wheels. A new diesel F350 is going to run you $65k alone.

I meant not including the cost of the car, obvs

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

builds character posted:

*cost of the van.

yea that too

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

SpeedFreek posted:

A van might work but any I've driven have had poo poo leg room for the driver, ymmv.

Not enough leg room?
I am a little person
Shame for the bourgois

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Been to Cruces and ABQ several times. Cruces has/had a good hole-in-the-wall donut place called Bosa Donuts, worth getting if you're still there.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

armpit_enjoyer posted:

Those camping photos make me so jealous. It's the middle of winter here, and last week we had tons of snow and extremely heavy winds.

(Which poses an interesting question: how would the truck hold up in winter conditions? Having to devote plenty of energy to heating and less solar output aside, how would, say, a -10, -15 degree centigrade cold affect the frame and welding and stuff?)

The ductile to brittle transition of materials that exhibit that phenomena, like steel, change how much impact strength the material has and it's an S shaped curve. If you arent banging the frame around or dont already have preexisting visible cracks you prob don't need to worry about it much. Here's an example curve:

Charpy V-notch curve for a 0.06C 0.5Ni steel weld metal

Aluminum, copper, lead, and austenitic stainless steels won't have this effect because of their crystal structures.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Feb 16, 2023

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

cursedshitbox posted:

I know where this is going.

Yea it seems like the reinforcement theyre doing won't do a great job of resisting the bending load near the cab caused by rocking about the rear wheels/rear springs. Just from reading ITT and some other pics of failure on line it seems like the fix would be gusseting or boxing that runs vertically near the front isolators and probably wherever xmembers are near those isolators.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

kastein posted:

Hey, this is the worst idea in the goddamn world, but wanna take a field trip to Abbotsford with me for, uh, reasons, and then meet CSB for, uh, other reasons?

Goon orgies never end well