Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Grundma posted:

Will skills level up on Lord or do I have to get the better versions on the other classes then transfer them. EG if I have Phalanx II unlocked on Denam and equip it on him as lord will I get III then IV?

You have to switch him back to other classes to get the upgraded versions, since Lord doesn't learn many skills on its own. Personally I did one lap through the classes when I unlocked Lord just to get a baseline, then did one more at level 50 to get the final versions of each of the skills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
At what point can I get those POTD floorplans to skip the lower levels? I'm doing my second run through the game and am post-Heim, pre-Hanging Gardens and have reached the 75th floor.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Floor 100 boss drops either them as random drops or, the recipe to craft them

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007
Got this game last month and it's my first experience with the franchise and I am hooked. But I really don't like the mechanic of being pushed off the ledge.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Unknownmass posted:

Got this game last month and it's my first experience with the franchise and I am hooked. But I really don't like the mechanic of being pushed off the ledge.

It's very bad, yes. It's introduced really late in the game, really only exists in dungeons that are already way too long, and doesn't really change how you play except you have to take some stages incredibly slowly.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
The AI recognizes the opportunity to instant kill with ledges and will focus on targets for a quick kill. Conversely, the AI also does not recognize that standing next to a pit is dangerous and will make them a prime target.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Just use the steadfast skill until you get items that prevent knock backs

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Yeah - Teleport or Fly movement modes will allow you to pop back on the ledge after being knocked off, making them just as good as having Steadfast in practice. I would recommend farming a bunch of Winged/Sidhe Ring/Boots and putting them on every character who isn't Canopus or Iuria, then you just don't have to think about it.

Mike_V posted:

At what point can I get those POTD floorplans to skip the lower levels? I'm doing my second run through the game and am post-Heim, pre-Hanging Gardens and have reached the 75th floor.

You'll specifically get one of the Guidebook III (51->76 teleport) from Floor 100, as well as the recipe book for making all three guidebooks. As ingredients they take Shiftstones which are best found from a couple enemies in Ch2 Law, and monster bits which are going to be easy to auto-battle farm from Phorampa for any party that can clear PotD.

As far as the level scaling, the 5 levels that PotD enemies have on you are roughly comparable to ~15 of each stat (except HP and MP) - see this page for the detailed growths: https://www.neoseeker.com/tactics-ogre-reborn/guides/Stat_Growths

By the time you reach 51+ where the enemies are scaling past 40, you should have a substantial number of relics and charms from the lower levels to make up much of the difference. Between retreat farming relics and redoing floors (with AI control to make it less of a chore, if you prefer) for charms, you can get as much as you need of these to make up the gap. My experience was that on the first PotD trip I planned to just go to 25 for the Enchiridions, but ended up gaining so much power in the process that I made it to 64 and got quite a lot of relics before calling it. Coming back with the extra crafted gear and no fear of pits, I had no issues clearing the whole thing and was able to farm even a lot of the 76-99 floors with AI control.

Also, Ji'ygla's bow used to be unavailable until after Nybeth (102?) but because of how they changed the drop tables, you can now farm it on 99. Having the full set on a Dark-element Arycelle seems to make her actually do good damage as an Archer again, which I'd hope since her ranged attack jumped from ~1000 to ~1750.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jan 22, 2023

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

The main case in which teleport or flight won't save you from falling is if you are incapacitated and moved at the same time, either from a knockout blow, petrification, or being leadened.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
I'm pretty sure I've seen characters who take a knockback+K.O. fly back onto the platform and then collapse, but I'm not sure if that's reliable and yeah petrified/leadened will definitely kill you. That said, in practice I found that those types of death are a lot less common and having fly/teleport made the difference for me to be able to auto-battle farm whatever. Of course, when you're doing this you should check the Warren Report before saving to make sure you haven't lost someone without noticing.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Eletriarnation posted:

I'm pretty sure I've seen characters who take a knockback+K.O. fly back onto the platform and then collapse

I haven't, and I suspect you saw a different chain of events that led to them dying after the initial hit (e.g. poison tick damage). It's why you need to keep an eye on the number of units you have while grinding using AI.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
I mean yeah, I said I wasn't sure if it was reliable and that there are other reasons that you need to check. I'll test to see if I can get it to happen, and you can assume I saw something else and misunderstood unless I report back otherwise.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Eletriarnation posted:

Yeah - Teleport or Fly movement modes will allow you to pop back on the ledge after being knocked off, making them just as good as having Steadfast in practice. I would recommend farming a bunch of Winged/Sidhe Ring/Boots and putting them on every character who isn't Canopus or Iuria, then you just don't have to think about it.

You'll specifically get one of the Guidebook III (51->76 teleport) from Floor 100, as well as the recipe book for making all three guidebooks. As ingredients they take Shiftstones which are best found from a couple enemies in Ch2 Law, and monster bits which are going to be easy to auto-battle farm from Phorampa for any party that can clear PotD.

As far as the level scaling, the 5 levels that PotD enemies have on you are roughly comparable to ~15 of each stat (except HP and MP) - see this page for the detailed growths: https://www.neoseeker.com/tactics-ogre-reborn/guides/Stat_Growths

By the time you reach 51+ where the enemies are scaling past 40, you should have a substantial number of relics and charms from the lower levels to make up much of the difference. Between retreat farming relics and redoing floors (with AI control to make it less of a chore, if you prefer) for charms, you can get as much as you need of these to make up the gap. My experience was that on the first PotD trip I planned to just go to 25 for the Enchiridions, but ended up gaining so much power in the process that I made it to 64 and got quite a lot of relics before calling it. Coming back with the extra crafted gear and no fear of pits, I had no issues clearing the whole thing and was able to farm even a lot of the 76-99 floors with AI control.

Also, Ji'ygla's bow used to be unavailable until after Nybeth (102?) but because of how they changed the drop tables, you can now farm it on 99. Having the full set on a Dark-element Arycelle seems to make her actually do good damage as an Archer again, which I'd hope since her ranged attack jumped from ~1000 to ~1750.

Yeah, I'm not farming any relics, but just in the course of hitting every room I've collected enough to make my regular roster able to handle everything fairly easily at this point. I've only once had the Super Enemies spawn in the level (the ones that have the level 65 special enemy) and I just retreated from that and came back in. It'll be interesting to see how the Nybeth fight goes.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Barely worth its own post, but in case anyone else is thinking of changing Deneb or Iuria into a Shaman and hasn't done it yet - you need to set her element before her class. For some reason Shaman isn't allowed to change element at all, and the only Dark spell they can cast is Diablo's Spite which is a bit of a letdown. I do like that they can use Starfall though, since they don't have access to Exorcism except through items.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jan 23, 2023

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Mike_V posted:

Yeah, I'm not farming any relics, but just in the course of hitting every room I've collected enough to make my regular roster able to handle everything fairly easily at this point. I've only once had the Super Enemies spawn in the level (the ones that have the level 65 special enemy) and I just retreated from that and came back in. It'll be interesting to see how the Nybeth fight goes.

Those "super" enemies are honestly not that hard. The number looks scary but if you've been picking up relics and using your charms, fight those battles. They go down to summon magic like everything else does: quickly.

Mea Tulpa
Sep 4, 2006

I thought Allocer was tough because her adds kept tossing elemental orbs that inflicted frighten. The terrain on that particular floor also put my team at a real disadvantage. Aym was much easier. He only ever managed to attack one time, but it was a rock throw that hit for like 1k.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

Mea Tulpa posted:

I thought Allocer was tough because her adds kept tossing elemental orbs that inflicted frighten. The terrain on that particular floor also put my team at a real disadvantage. Aym was much easier. He only ever managed to attack one time, but it was a rock throw that hit for like 1k.

Check out the range on her "shortbow"

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Mea Tulpa posted:

I had not-Hoborym or whatever. He's just a naked dude who punches you and throws rocks for like 600-800 a shot. The orbs are obnoxious as heck though. I think I beat it before I had a ton of gear and just Lv 1 Summons. Turtling up and taking on early-comers made it a bit easier to advance.

That said, the rewards aren't that important. You get some of the later San Bronsa stuff (orichalcum, etc) but nothing unique as far as I know.

Mea Tulpa
Sep 4, 2006

Aym is the Hobyrim-like and Allocer is the Arycelle-like with ridiculous range. Allocer was much harder because you're getting pelted with orbs, status effects, and arrows that deal 700+ a hit while you try to get magic users in range. The rewards aren't that interesting but it's more about trying out the fights to see what the game throws at you.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

my library copy of this arrived and I will pick it up today.

is there anything missable or should I just go through it completely blind?

how many playthroughs to see everything?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Fate Accomplice posted:

There's plenty missable, none of it permanently missable. Beating the game gives you a time travel mechanic that lets you turn the clock back to certain story events.

There's three routes to get to the ending, and a post-game epilogue chapter that requires you to be on the Canon route to unlock.

I'd say follow a spoiler free guide if you want to go for that route first, otherwise, just play as your conscience dictates.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Fate Accomplice posted:

I'd say like half the roster of recruitable characters are missable, some more than others :v:

One playthrough if you go back to complete the other branching paths. If you start from scratch every time, three playthroughs (which will take considerably longer than just going back on a completed file)

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Azran posted:

I'd say like half the roster of recruitable characters are missable, some more than others :v:

One playthrough if you go back to complete the other branching paths. If you start from scratch every time, three playthroughs (which will take considerably longer than just going back on a completed file)

Yeah if you go in blind you will miss some unique recruits for sure, they are not the most intuitive things in the world. I would recommend having a recruit guide even though you could World to get them because it's sorta tedious to redo the same story fights again.

The only things permanently missable on a save file with World are the unique titles you get for 0 deaths/0 incaps otherwise but those don't really matter.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Mea Tulpa posted:

Aym is the Hobyrim-like and Allocer is the Arycelle-like with ridiculous range. Allocer was much harder because you're getting pelted with orbs, status effects, and arrows that deal 700+ a hit while you try to get magic users in range. The rewards aren't that interesting but it's more about trying out the fights to see what the game throws at you.

Ah gotcha. I never paid attention to the names, just what they were doing to me. I do appreciate those battles because more than any other, they make you prioritize positioning and movement. You do get some materials to make Heaven's Forks and some of the Daedalus gear, but the latter is way outclassed by Relics by the time you can make it.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I started the game up finally, and I love it. Having adored Ogre Battle, I was hoping I would like this, and I do! But I do have a couple questions for the PC.

I can usually progress dialog by hitting A on a Xbox controller. Sometimes, though, that doesn't work, and I need to press B. I can't figure out what the pattern is, is there a reason why skipping dialog doesn't always work with the same button?

It doesn't look like the game supports more than 60 fps. Is there any way to increase it? The game doesn't need it, but going back to 60Hz from 120Hz feels sluggish.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Making my way through POTD a second time after clearing the game on the Law route and it seems like enemies are hitting harder and taking less damage. My Union Level is up to 50 now (even though I'm sync'd at 40), so I'm wondering if POTD gets harder in postgame

Mea Tulpa
Sep 4, 2006

If you return after clearing the game, you get level sync'd to level 40. A side effect is that it drops the stats on your equipment, I think to around damascus tier. You can tell because some of the stats are yellow in the menu. My guess is that's making the difference for you. I noticed it more in terms of dealing less damage.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Might be that. Now that the level cap is at 50, maybe I should just use some of the million EXP Charms that I have to get everyone there to boost the baseline stats (I don't think the game nerfs those?)

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Mike_V posted:

Might be that. Now that the level cap is at 50, maybe I should just use some of the million EXP Charms that I have to get everyone there to boost the baseline stats (I don't think the game nerfs those?)

Yes. Not just baseline stats, but any skills that you unlock 40-50 are also available, which is paramount for Valkyrie/Rune Fencer's Nature's Blessing.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

San Bronsa is a breath of fresh air after POTD. Even if I'm getting hammered by some of these enemy units, it's a lot more fun than the dreary underworld

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Yeah, and getting the level 2 summons in the Floating Ruins is amazing. Just took down my first Heavenly General and wow, their weapons have taken a pretty massive buff from what they were before if I recall correctly. 115 HP?!

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Regarding Cursed Weapons, can I recruit some generic, pump them up to level max with my millions of unused EXP charms, then use Snapdragon or whatever on them to jack up the weapon stats? I'm still unclear on how that works

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mike_V posted:

Regarding Cursed Weapons, can I recruit some generic, pump them up to level max with my millions of unused EXP charms, then use Snapdragon or whatever on them to jack up the weapon stats? I'm still unclear on how that works

Sure can. The unit's name will even become the weapon's name, so you get to name the weapon, too.

This is a decent guide for how the stats and features of the weapon will be determined: https://www.neoseeker.com/tactics-ogre-reborn/guides/Cursed_Weapons

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Harrow posted:

Sure can. The unit's name will even become the weapon's name, so you get to name the weapon, too.

This is a decent guide for how the stats and features of the weapon will be determined: https://www.neoseeker.com/tactics-ogre-reborn/guides/Cursed_Weapons

Badass, thanks

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

God this CODA 2 end fight is by far my least favorite. Not only does it have the mirror fight aspect, but throw in a dumbass AI incapable of preserving its own life as a treat

EDIT: Looked up a guide to tell me what loadout to use and I feel no shame in that

Mike_V fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Feb 7, 2023

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Mike_V posted:

God this CODA 2 end fight is by far my least favorite. Not only does it have the mirror fight aspect, but throw in a dumbass AI incapable of preserving its own life as a treat

EDIT: Looked up a guide to tell me what loadout to use and I feel no shame in that

I think I ended up taking like Denam and Catuia and flying over the gap to make the AI ignore Warren. Once I got there I just used my Cursed Hammer to one round the boss. It's super finnicky and the stronger your team the dicier it seems. Definitely the hardest fight in the game thanks to the NPC aspect.

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

When you go into that fight, at the party deployment screen, you see warren as a Guest, correct? At that point you can edit his loadout.

I didn't remember to do this the first time I did the battle but I did the 2nd.

I gave Warren the Smelly armor set. It makes the AI completely ignore that character.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

edit: whoops wrong thread

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

akkristor posted:

When you go into that fight, at the party deployment screen, you see warren as a Guest, correct? At that point you can edit his loadout.

I didn't remember to do this the first time I did the battle but I did the 2nd.

I gave Warren the Smelly armor set. It makes the AI completely ignore that character.

I had no idea this was even possible despite playing the game for 200 hours. That's a cool tip!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Levantine posted:

I think I ended up taking like Denam and Catuia and flying over the gap to make the AI ignore Warren. Once I got there I just used my Cursed Hammer to one round the boss. It's super finnicky and the stronger your team the dicier it seems. Definitely the hardest fight in the game thanks to the NPC aspect.

Yeah I had Denam and Deneb with Deneb's only move/item being Charm. AI didn't seem to drop Charm for whatever reason and I kept Evil Denam under Deneb's spell. Wasn't too bad after that