Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mea Tulpa
Sep 4, 2006

The AI doesn't like status or buff abilities, which you can exploit to your advantage against doppelgangers. I view that fight in particular as more like a puzzle that needs to be solved with some trial and error.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

What classes, if any, do you normally keep as AI-controlled? It seems like it really speeds up battles, but you gotta trust the AI not to mess things up too badly.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Usually if I'm running anyone as AI then I'm running the whole team as AI, but clerics or item lobbers are a lot better under manual control. Buffers like swordmasters or Iuria are basically useless under AI control.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Does the date matter for anything more than the weather?

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

The location of Denebs shop changes day-by-day

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Legit impressed they never patched the game again, not even to fix the infinite money exploit lol

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Azran posted:

Legit impressed they never patched the game again, not even to fix the infinite money exploit lol

I'm not. I'm really disappointed by the lack of real support. Whether it's due to internal conflicts, buck-passing, laziness/incompetence or what have you, this game could use some more polish and it looks like it will never happen. Re-releasing a game like this is great, but treating it like a disfavoured step-child afterward is a cruel blow.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it'd be nice if it got a fan patch at some point. if nothing else, the ranged attack formula is still busted.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Patch is out! Wonder what the changes exactly are.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

MonsieurChoc posted:

Patch is out! Wonder what the changes exactly are.

No flipping way

I wonder if the blowgun money trick still works

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Game needs balance fixes, you lazy twats.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

JustJeff88 posted:

Game needs balance fixes, you lazy twats.

Crossbows and guns should do flat amounts, through armor or otherwise, depending on the quality of crossbow/gun and also how close they are to the target.

Dragoons should get jump.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

So I at least want to get 100% battles in the Warren report (lol events), however I'm missing 13 of them in chapter 4. I'm pretty certain I have seen every single event so I'm thinking the game is counting some kind of variation as different but I can't figure out what.

I can't find this info anywhere. Anyone know what is commonly missed in trying to get all the chapter 4 battles?

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

Is there any advantage to using units I already have instead of just recruiting a new one?

For example, I have had a lizard man bro on my team as a Berserker, and I'm thinking of replacing him with a Juggernaut. Is there any advantage to me using a classmark on him, or should I just try to recruit a Juggernaut since iirc they have better base stats?

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Sega 32X posted:

Is there any advantage to using units I already have instead of just recruiting a new one?

For example, I have had a lizard man bro on my team as a Berserker, and I'm thinking of replacing him with a Juggernaut. Is there any advantage to me using a classmark on him, or should I just try to recruit a Juggernaut since iirc they have better base stats?

Base stats, as a concept, does not really apply in this game as it would in others. Different classes modify base stats differently upon leveling, and you're dealing with generics who don't have unique RT values. Because of this, although it is generally always better to use a generic you've invested time into due to skill growth and stat growth in a specific class, the differences would be likely nominal at best, because class-based stat growth in this game has a very minor impact, and stat increasing cards on the battlefield increase stats by a fraction of a point (ignoring HP/MP/Luck ones).

There ARE unique monsters with better stats that generics, but I think they may be limited to the Griffin squad.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, just kill a Juggernaut for their class mark and be done with it, I’m pretty sure the first time you fight one they drop like three so recruiting one might arguably be detrimental if you already have a lizardman/umbra unit.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

MrMidnight posted:

So I at least want to get 100% battles in the Warren report (lol events), however I'm missing 13 of them in chapter 4. I'm pretty certain I have seen every single event so I'm thinking the game is counting some kind of variation as different but I can't figure out what.

I can't find this info anywhere. Anyone know what is commonly missed in trying to get all the chapter 4 battles?

Well I answered my own questions by just keeping on playing lol. The missing battles are the ones past level 100 in PotD.

Edit: Nevermind! Finished to lvl 115 (gently caress you Roderick) and still stuck at 242/252 battles in chapter 4. Those missing 10 really bother me.

MrMidnight fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Mar 24, 2023

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
I'm finally getting around to this, and I love it - it brings me way back. Is there a good build guide out there? I don't have enough brainpower to theorycraft it, and I worry I'm missing obvious things like "take one level in knight" and the like.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Red Crown posted:

I'm finally getting around to this, and I love it - it brings me way back. Is there a good build guide out there? I don't have enough brainpower to theorycraft it, and I worry I'm missing obvious things like "take one level in knight" and the like.

There's really nothing like that which is great, you can swap classes as long as you have class marks so you can play around. The only trap is that generics have bad stats compared to the uniques, but none of the generics have absolutely awful stats so you can do whatever you want. Each unit is probably best just parked in a class and taken out when you need that class in a fight.

There are build guides for the absolute endgame where you just have the AI running your characters farming for rare drops, but most people will never need them.

Full disclosure: I just used cheat engine to have 100% drop rate in PotD cause why waste your time doing that

WarpedLichen fucked around with this message at 00:18 on May 5, 2023

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Red Crown posted:

You can't mix and match classes anymore (it's only relevant for the Lord special class) so don't worry about that.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
Great. I was also worried that I might have to take some levels in various classes Final Fantasy Tactics style, but I see that's not the case. Very enjoyable so far, and a bigger challenge than I was expecting - I've only won a couple of battles by the skin of my teeth. (Maybe I'm just bad)

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
There's a very tiny bit of optimization you could do with raising levels as class x or y but it's frankly not super important and charms will cover that for you anyway.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Looking at the kind of patches they've been doing I guess we're never going to get back Rogues as a playable class.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

in case anyone has had any friends who've balked at the price point and wants to gift TO:R to them at a discount, it's 50% off on steam til Jan 4.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Has there been much in the way of PC mods since the release? I have the Switch version but might double dip if someone figured out how to remove the cards.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Lemon-Lime posted:

Has there been much in the way of PC mods since the release? I have the Switch version but might double dip if someone figured out how to remove the cards.

I too have just the Switch version but would like to now this.

I'm just happy to see anyone posting in this thread. First activity in 7 months.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Lemon-Lime posted:

https://discord.gg/TYwzNgWT

All the modding discussion I've seen happens in there. Apparently you can turn the cards off with Cheat Engine, and people also found ways to disable Union Level and other such stuff.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

I am hoping OV makes its way to TOR, or a similar earnest mod effort does. Reborn might have some flaws but it's still extremely good and manages to stay challenging (generally, until you get really busted OP) into late maps and that's so rare for this genre.

gibbed is actively supporting mod efforts so that gives me a strong sense of hope at least.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

doomfunk posted:

I am hoping OV makes its way to TOR, or a similar earnest mod effort does. Reborn might have some flaws but it's still extremely good and manages to stay challenging (generally, until you get really busted OP) into late maps and that's so rare for this genre.

gibbed is actively supporting mod efforts so that gives me a strong sense of hope at least.

Me too.

In the meantime, though, has anyone really played One Vision? It had the misfortune to come out almost exactly as the same time as Reborn, and my RPG backlog is so ludicrous that I've never tried it.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

JustJeff88 posted:

Me too.

In the meantime, though, has anyone really played One Vision? It had the misfortune to come out almost exactly as the same time as Reborn, and my RPG backlog is so ludicrous that I've never tried it.

I played through it a couple of times while it was still in progress. My feeling on it is that it's a good hack, it's just that it's built on TO PSP and that game's class levels system is still hot garbage. That gets in the way to an incredible degree.

There's a lot of new classes, and a lot more access to special ones. Hobyrim and Lindt and Ganpp aren't a Swordmaster and Fusilier and Beast Tamer, they're special unique versions of those classes; Ravness gets access to Paladin; Denam can be a White Knight or Priest or Ranger, and Canopus can be a Buccaneer; there's a few generics that join in one route that get special access to certain monster classes. Most of the unique classes are cool and fun! It'd be a fantastic feature for a mod of any other game. But it's Tactics Ogre PSP and they start at level 1 and your stats are based on class level not character level, as is your ability to equip items. So you get Ravness and you start to level her up and then you get Hobyrim and you need to level him up too and Vyse joins and oh hey there Ozma, you're joining at level 1 too, aren't you. Of course you are. Now it's mid chapter 4 and Catiua is joining and you just guess what her level is, buddy boy!

There's a code that was created for the game a while ago that redistributes EXP and therefore makes catching up less painful, but that means that getting a new character with a cool new class means less grinding, it doesn't eliminate the need. If you're already feeling an urge to replay the game and you can endure the grind then it's a great version of the game, I just think that's a big ask.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

doomfunk posted:

I don't think OV is gonna get over there. The fundamentals are just so different and OV was custom built for the PSP version's approach. A lot of OV decisions are based on that games' own decisions.

It'd basically be a whole new mod unless they can somehow shove all the PSP formulas/balances/items in which would be a helluva mod on its own!

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
There's some stuff from OV on the remake as it is, or at the very least the devs came to similar design choices. It makes for the three games being very different versions of the same game.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Honest Thief posted:

There's some stuff from OV on the remake as it is, or at the very least the devs came to similar design choices. It makes for the three games being very different versions of the same game.

I'm continually impressed by One Vision. I was looking at it again a few days ago and it's still receiving major balance patches; up to 1.0.5 now I think. Honestly, I think that the PSP game has too many balance issues and too much bullshit to really be a viable version of the game. As far as I see it, it's between either One Vision and Reborn. I have to admit to favouring the latter in part because it's the first time that any TO game was translated into my preferred language.

LeninVS
Nov 8, 2011

I haven't played since release week,
Have they added anything new to the game? I am trying to figure out if I should start from scratch or carry on from where I was. I think the last thing I did was unlock azelstan

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I think it's just been a few bug fixes.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Only bugfixes, but extremely minor ones. They didn't even fix your dual wielding not adding stats correctly, for example.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

They said from the outset that they'd not be adding any new content.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

tithin posted:

They said from the outset that they'd not be adding any new content.

Azran posted:

Only bugfixes, but extremely minor ones. They didn't even fix your dual wielding not adding stats correctly, for example.

That's lazy and pathetic. Not adding content is one thing, but not fixing known, relatively simple bugs is contemptible.

Swabbleflange
Apr 18, 2008

Over the past couple of days I've read through this entire thread. Quite a journey!

My experience with TO has been an extended tinkering with the PSP version on release, but no attempt at a serious play through or even sticking with it (just too many distractions), and a long-term save on emulation where I repeatedly hunkered down on a couple of maps grinding out numbers. When they announced Reborn I wasn't even sure I'd ever buy it, it being "That game I occasionally boot up on an emulator". I did end up buying it a few months after release, at £20 for shame, but again half-heartedly poked at it while other things took my attention away.

Fast-forward to about a month ago and... well I don't know what happened but it became my primary obsession. Timing is everything I guess? I'm still bamboozled by a lot of the talk of hidden stats and late-game content (I'm in C4 and have just unlocked PotD and the Pirate's Graveyard). On Chaos route, blew recruiting Cressida after a clutch rescue thanks to low Galgastani favour. But, I'm just playing the story naturally and taking my lumps. After all, I'm only on hour 75 of what feels like several hundred.

Ironically, the thing I'm digging the most mechanically is the Union Level. It forces me to play strategically and thoughtfully. I broke Final Fantasy Tactics back in the day by OCD levelling my team early on so much that the subsequent ¾ of the game was a walk. I think I two-shotted the final boss, or something equally daft. I'd never appreciated how deep and complex TO was. I'm digging the story, the VA, the setting and characters, and I'm having the best time knuckling down to battles that take me an hour to win.

If the rumoured FFT 'Reborn' materialises I'd probably never have to buy another game again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

this same type of game with open world tomfoolery would be catnip

that's basically battle brothers and wartales, but neither have the fft/to style settings and crazy abilities