Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

This still has the CHARIOT system, right? I remember going most of the game without touching it and then in act...3N? There was a dark knight I needed to keep alive and I spent over and hour just rewinding time and manipulating luck so she didn't get ganked immediately and I had a prayer of keeping her dumb rear end alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

marshmallow creep posted:

This still has the CHARIOT system, right? I remember going most of the game without touching it and then in act...3N? There was a dark knight I needed to keep alive and I spent over and hour just luck manipulating that stage so she didn't get ganked immediately and I had a prayer of keeping her dumb rear end alive.
Yes, chariot is still in. It's shown in the trailer with an updated UI.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Gearhead posted:

The great thing about this is, if this engine is the same sort of work as the FF Pixel Remaster engine we could see a lot of stuff re-released. I'd love a War of the Lions remake without the framerate jank.

Me too on the War of the Lions thing, so long as they also do right by the multiplayer elements as well. Having a bunch of cool stuff locked behind MP in a PSP game of all things is so stupid it hurts *my* brain, and I'm not the idiot who thought of it.

By the way, is this remake really in the FFPR engine? The graphics look extremely similar to the PSP version, which is a Very Good Thing, except for the font which I now admit looks more appropriate to a sci-fi game.

marshmallow creep posted:

This still has the CHARIOT system, right? I remember going most of the game without touching it and then in act...3N? There was a dark knight I needed to keep alive and I spent over and hour just rewinding time and manipulating luck so she didn't get ganked immediately and I had a prayer of keeping her dumb rear end alive.

Sadly, there is probably no chance that they will get rid of non-controllable characters that one has to protect. They can say that they are redoing the AI, but I will believe it when I bloody see it especially as it concerns non-hostiles. I refuse to say 'friendly' in this context.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

JustJeff88 posted:

By the way, is this remake really in the FFPR engine? The graphics look extremely similar to the PSP version, which is a Very Good Thing, except for the font which I now admit looks more appropriate to a sci-fi game.

What I meant was, if they made this to be LIKE the FFPRs, they could reuse this engine for any TO or FFT game they wanted.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Also, this remake ought to have had a Queen subtitle again, like "The Show Must Go On" or "Who Wants to Live Forever"

I've been calling LUCT "I Want to Break Free"

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

I'm torn on this announcement, because on one hand "gently caress yeah ogre battle series release," but on the other hand I did literally everything in the PsP remake. It doesn't sound like there's any new actual content, and I'll be hosed if I'm grinding through the palace of the dead twice a second time.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Hipster Occultist posted:

I'm torn on this announcement, because on one hand "gently caress yeah ogre battle series release," but on the other hand I did literally everything in the PsP remake. It doesn't sound like there's any new actual content, and I'll be hosed if I'm grinding through the palace of the dead twice a second time.

I'd like to think that they will streamline the process in some of the end-game grind, but I doubt it.

Gearhead posted:

What I meant was, if they made this to be LIKE the FFPRs, they could reuse this engine for any TO or FFT game they wanted.

Ah, I see. Why that engine specifically?

tom bob-ombadil posted:

I'd call it 'Don't Stop Me Now', referring to the development process and estimated release date.

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

With improved AI, and this new skill system, I think it's going to be different enough to be worthwhile.

no more "Oh god I accidentally taught my wizard something the AI will constantly use to no effect now i can never auto-battle again".

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

tom bob-ombadil posted:

Tactics Ogre: Staying Power

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

JustJeff88 posted:

Ah, I see. Why that engine specifically?

The impression I got from the PRs was that they made a common engine they could make a bunch of games with. The Live A Live remake runs in Octopath's engine. It seems they have a fever for remaking games using shared engine resources.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

akkristor posted:

no more "Oh god I accidentally taught my wizard something the AI will constantly use to no effect now i can never auto-battle again".

Mitsuru casts Marin Karin

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Kiryl casts Thwack... but it doesn't work.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

On the one hand this is basically my favorite tactical rpg of all time

On the other I've put hundreds of hours into it already and I'm not entirely convinced they'll address the myriad design flaws the original and psp releases had

If they do though, ho boy, I'll absolutely dig back in again

If you've never played this game, buy it immediately if you like this genre even a little, it is absolutely one of the best (note I'm a gigantic loving Matsuno stan so I'll defend even his shittier games, but TO is legitimately great whether you go for a single storyline playthrough or dozens of hours exploring the tapestry of wartime chaos he's woven here)

victrix fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Aug 10, 2022

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Fun fact, I never got past like mission 5 in the PSP game because my Vita ate poo poo and died while playing this game.

I look forward to getting it on PS5 or PC and actually trying it out again.

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

The Tarot Cards and Map from the Japanese collector's edition are available separately in the US:

https://store.na.square-enix-games.com/en_US/product/767982/tactics-ogre-reborn-tarot-card-set

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Like others, I would definitely enjoy a new game in the series, and if Matsuno actually had a hand in this enhanced port, then that's a good sign for the future (if not overly hopeful).

This seems like a hybrid of the original title and the PSP's mechanics, in part, since they are reintroducing unit elements, individual levels, and the equip/item system has seemingly compromised between the two. It could very well mean a lot of mechanics have once again been adjusted in response.

I would have said "Cool that's awesome, but whatever," if it were just a port, but it's more than that.

Too bad everyone is always screaming all the time still. I wonder if the default font has lower case characters. Automating sentence caps would be easy, but I'm sure it'd miss a lot of proper nounds.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Prowler posted:

I wonder if the default font has lower case characters. Automating sentence caps would be easy, but I'm sure it'd miss a lot of proper nounds.
It's a font thing. On PSP the dialogue font has lowercase characters represented with uppercase ones. The actual text is all written as you'd expect.

A mod to replace the font with one that has actual lowercase letters is possible on PSP LUCT and should be possible on Reborn when it's out.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

gibbed posted:

It's a font thing. On PSP the dialogue font has lowercase characters represented with uppercase ones. The actual text is all written as you'd expect.

A mod to replace the font with one that has actual lowercase letters is possible on PSP LUCT and should be possible on Reborn when it's out.

The problem is that modding will be essentially reserved for PC players only.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
It's too bad that the Collector's Edition isn't being sold in the States, it looks pretty sweet.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Unrelated to TO, Diofield Chronicles Square's other, new SRPG franchise, is also coming to PC with a demo out now - anyone played it? how's it looking rn?

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

Node posted:

It's too bad that the Collector's Edition isn't being sold in the States, it looks pretty sweet.

The CE comes with:

Soundtrack
Artbook
Tarot Cards and Map Mat
Printed Script Book.

Of those 4, only 1 is not available in the US. The Script Book.

Soundtrack is included in the Premium Edition
Artbook is available for purchase from Square Enix store here: https://store.na.square-enix-games.com/en_US/product/764419/the-art-of-tactics-ogre-let-us-cling-together-artbook
Tarot Cards and Map Mat are available for purchase from Square Enix store here: https://store.na.square-enix-games.com/en_US/product/767982/tactics-ogre-reborn-tarot-card-set

The Script Book is now available to preorder from Square Enix Japan. https://store.jp.square-enix.com/item/4988601502894.html

akkristor fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Aug 15, 2022

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

tithin posted:

Unrelated to TO, Diofield Chronicles Square's other, new SRPG franchise, is also coming to PC with a demo out now - anyone played it? how's it looking rn?

I tried out the demo on steam.

It's not bad, but taking me some getting used to as a "Real Time Tactical RPG". The demo is the first few missions (i'm only two missions in) but it has a good flow to it so far. I see it getting a bit more hectic when i have more than 4 units on the field.

I went ahead and ordered the collector's edition because I have no self control and it comes with a freaking board game.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

JustJeff88 posted:

The problem is that modding will be essentially reserved for PC players only.
Switch too, since Switches are easily hacked. I'll probably look at the PS4 version too at some point, but that's super low priority since PS4 is a pain in the rear end.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

gibbed posted:

Switch too, since Switches are easily hacked. I'll probably look at the PS4 version too at some point, but that's super low priority since PS4 is a pain in the rear end.

Everyone says that about the Switch, but I'm still scared to try it. You'll understand if I'm protective of a $300 piece of hardware and I don't want to brick it without a very, very good reason.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

JustJeff88 posted:

Everyone says that about the Switch, but I'm still scared to try it. You'll understand if I'm protective of a $300 piece of hardware and I don't want to brick it without a very, very good reason.
That's completely fair, there's always that risk. My own experience with it was pretty smooth, though by the time I got to doing it, it was an extremely well documented process.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

akkristor posted:

The CE comes with:

Soundtrack
Artbook
Tarot Cards and Map Mat
Printed Script Book.

Of those 4, only 1 is not available in the US. The Script Book.

Soundtrack is included in the Premium Edition
Artbook is available for purchase from Square Enix store here: https://store.na.square-enix-games.com/en_US/product/764419/the-art-of-tactics-ogre-let-us-cling-together-artbook
Tarot Cards and Map Mat are available for purchase from Square Enix store here: https://store.na.square-enix-games.com/en_US/product/767982/tactics-ogre-reborn-tarot-card-set

Thanks dude.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

What's the general consensus on the GBA prequel game? Thinking I might play it in the leadup to Reborn.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

What's the general consensus on the GBA prequel game? Thinking I might play it in the leadup to Reborn.

I remember the gameplay just being ok and the story being surprisingly well done, but I have absolutely no idea if it holds up today, that was ages ago

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Detective No. 27 posted:

I fondly remember Knight of Lodis. Story was pretty good, it has some interesting things going on with the world.

En Garde Motherfuckers
Apr 29, 2009

Hey. Is it just me, or do my balls itch?
Knight of Lodis is okay but imo it's nowhere near as enjoyable as LUCT overall. The emblems your characters could earn from doing specific things in fights were cool and I wish more tactics games would steal that system.

I've been playing the PSX release of LUCT lately because I just couldn't wait until November. If nothing else I have a newfound appreciation for any tactics game that doesn't play the spell animations for every single empty tile they target. Also it kinda runs like poo poo? At first I thought it was an emulator issue but it sounds like that's just how it was.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

En Garde Motherfuckers posted:

Also it kinda runs like poo poo? At first I thought it was an emulator issue but it sounds like that's just how it was.

Much like the later CT and FF4/5/6 PSX rereleases, TO's loading times are pretty loving preposterous.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Schwarzwald posted:

Much like the later CT and FF4/5/6 PSX rereleases, TO's loading times are pretty loving preposterous.

I take it that neither in-emulator overlocking nor an SSD help?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Being good but not as good as LUCT is the best case scenario.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

JustJeff88 posted:

Frame skip helps some yeah.

En Garde Motherfuckers
Apr 29, 2009

Hey. Is it just me, or do my balls itch?

JustJeff88 posted:

There might be a way to fix some of those issues with modern emulator features but it's not really as crippling a flaw here as it is in those Squaresoft ports imo. In those you were hitting an absurd ~5 second load time several times a minute in some cases, while in TO it's mostly just an annoyance.

LordOfTheNoobs
Sep 7, 2009

Looking forward to getting this game. Tried it years ago on psx, but got stuck early game. Hopefully I'll be able to do better this time.

Final Fantasy Tactics was one of my favorites growing up, so it'll be neat to experience the original some more.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I hope they get to Ogre Battle some time, or hell, Ogre Battle 64(but please fix legions)

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

JustJeff88 posted:

What helps is having frame skip on a hotkey.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

LordOfTheNoobs posted:

Looking forward to getting this game. Tried it years ago on psx, but got stuck early game. Hopefully I'll be able to do better this time.

Final Fantasy Tactics was one of my favorites growing up, so it'll be neat to experience the original some more.

This is me exactly. Really glad Square’s been going for the deep bench old stuff. Probably a day one buy for me, and I never do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

A clip of a cutscene with Japanese voice acting for Reborn was posted.

https://twitter.com/TacticsOgre_PR/status/1558002522148999168