Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

If you’ve had it in a screw down for that long your chances of getting it out in one piece are very slim.

Re: grading, grading a single card is pretty pricey. There are places that do group submissions where everyone interested can send their cards to one vetted person who then submits them for grading to get bulk pricing. Another thing to ask is are you grading it to sell it or grading it to make you happy? If you intend to keep it yourself and it already makes you happy, is it (1) worth the price of grading, and (2) will you somehow be less happy or disappointed with it if it comes back a 7 or 8 vs. a 9 or 10?

Chief McHeath fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Nov 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Shrecknet posted:

https://www.ebay.com/vault

what the actual gently caress.

Buy a card, and then send it to a vault where you can never see it or hold it, but trust us bro, it's there, you can even re-sell it!

Of course, if you're buying something that's already in the vault, it doesn't go anywhere, just the seller get money (and eBay takes a cut) and nothing happens at all to the card.

This feels insane

That’s what eBay vault is? I’ve seen ads but just guessed it was some sort of additional layer of authentication by eBay for high value cards maybe with secure storage or something.

There are a lot of strange coincidences with a lot of grades 6 and 8 becoming 9s and 10s (the coincidences are they’re trimming the cards): https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1298835

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

bill malarkey is full of poo poo

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

If Panini (or any of them) asked me if I wanted a replacement for a high end redemption I’d put the ball in their court and ask directly what they intended to replace it with. There’s always a chance they offer something of similar value and something extra.

Or just be like “yeah I’ll do six cases of Optic if you think that’s fair.”

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Gorman Thomas posted:

This is so bad I need to make a full set of the inserts

http://www.baseballcardpedia.com/index.php/1995_Studio

Want to slap a McGriff card on the check and tell my friends that the Crimedog's got this one.

I remember those. Funny enough I read the description and had a thought, "was it the base cards or a parallel that was actually embossed?" and sure enough, there are the gold and platinum parallels "printed on plastic stock with die-cut corners," gotta imagine those are the embossed ones I was thinking of.

I was reminded of these two sets of inserts by a post in a group on facebook:

Collectors Choice silver and gold signatures. I believe silvers were one per pack, don't remember the odds on the golds, one per box or maybe case? The gold border looked so, so good.

Upper Deck Electric Diamond. Upper Deck was always the premium brand, but I feel like this was about when they started separating themselves from the pack. Super condition sensitive.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

that guy you never heard of... albert einstein

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Sorry they’re all baseball cards some of them just have hockey or basketball players on them :shrug:

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Almost time to finish up the series one master set then

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

I’ve seen it called the “junk slab era”

Out of 9291 base Topps Ohtani rookies submitted to PSA for grading, 5610 came back PSA 10

Not saying a PSA 10 wouldn’t be cool, but a high grade early Mantle, Koufax, Aaron, Mays, etc, it never will be

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Bank posted:

I might wait for prices to go down (they will, right????). I watched a highlight reel of him last night and it's pretty incredible how he's been playing.

I don’t know the release schedules, but it’d be smart to look for auctions during the off-season and/or right after basketball and football products with new rookies start dropping in the fall.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

no that's not three six year olds in a suit, it's ichiro

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

I'm in a similar boat, primarily ripping just for sets, Topps S1/2/Update now. Almost all other hobby stuff is outside of my budget, but I might pick up a blaster of the occasional new release if I'm interested in it. I do like the look and feel of Stadium Club so I'm usually good for one of those a year. I'm a sucker though for discounted blasters or hangers, but I hadn't seen anything in those bins for months until I recently saw some 2021 and 2022 Optic at $17 and passed.

The only time I ever bought a case was 2010 Topps Chrome from Blowout. I believe that was the worst year ever for the chrome warping the absolute poo poo out of every card from top left to bottom right and the centering was right out of the 60s. But the real reason I hate 2010 Topps Chrome is in that case plus six additional boxes I got 0 Strasburg autos, 0 Heyward autos and 0 Stanton autos. Just got absolutely washed.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

whos rookie ricket some udfa or

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Who knows if I'll ever see them, but I just hit two $0.99 BINs that had to have been meant for auction for a total of $4.50 shipped. A 2013 Topps Tribute dual-jersey Strasburg to 99 and a 2011 Topps Diamond Duos Ryan Howard (jersey) and Jason Heyward (bat) out of 50.

Chief McHeath fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Oct 14, 2023

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Just how prevalent are bogus PSA certs? I put a Joey Votto jersey in my watchlist not intending to buy any time soon and got an offer from the seller pretty quickly. Looked up the number on the certification sticker and oops it’s nowhere in the PSA database!

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Monday_ posted:

Was going through some old baseball cards today and found this gem.

A 1992 Leaf, from the days before photoshop, you just know Boggs was totally down to wear that.

he was probably drunk as hell and didnt need much convincing

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

I lol at the people who post on instagram/reddit/card forums their personal breaks that are just so shockingly bullshit in search of some kind of clout

“Hey guys I bought two blasters of topps chrome at target and got this orange auto /25 of The Main Guy, a gold auto /50 of The Second Guy, the Matt Olson superfractor and a red /5 refractor of Julio Rodriguez did I do good???????”

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

everwake posted:

Does anyone want to break this box of 1989 Topps baseball with me? This is your chance for a very valuable John Smoltz rookie card.

I’ll take the Gary Sheffield Future Stars spot if this break is still open

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

I haven't spent a cent on wax in months and have been living on the low end $1-4 shipped cards. Taking advantage of Buy X Get Y free sales, combined shipping deals, sometimes just being the only person to bid on an item, adding the lowest BIN to my watchlist for a day to see if the seller offers a little lower.

Just Reds cards in all blends and colors of parallels and refractors, die cuts and minis, and inserts and rookies. Low-end game used of Reds guys and Other Guys, too. Singles are The Way and I've been enlightened. For the price of a blaster I can get 5-15 cards I like or find unique instead of growing towers of base cards. I like Chrome, Finest, numbered Topps, refractors and rookie parallels and Joey Votto.

Also, from the low-end, I'd like to say that Lava and Wave and RayWave and Sonar and Blue Prism and whatever refractors are Okay. I get it if you think they're wack or you think they water down the product. There are varieties that I think bite (anything black & white), but from this garbage bidder's perspective, they're fantastic! If it sells for the same price as a base refractor, I'll take (most) whatever wack, numbered and/or colored refractor you don't want.

Purple refractors can go, while pink refractors are disrespected. IMO pink refractors should be /50 or better.

If anyone has a 2009 or 2011 Joey Votto base Topps Chrome refractors please PM me I will buy them.

Chief McHeath fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jan 20, 2024

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

when i was ten i thought my Frank Thomas and Ken Griffey rookies would pay for college, now ten year olds carry around cases with baseball cards worth a year of tuition in them

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

mdemone posted:

Topps Heritage looks really cool. drat them for knowing what I want in a card.

Topps Archives (maybe but probably not including all the Signature Series versions they do) might be up your lane too.

I can't mess with Big League because it reminds me too much of all the lovely cards I got when I was a kid. While many of my friends were able to get their hands on Pinnacle, Flair, Upper Deck, the good stuff, I was stuck with Donruss Triple Play, O-Pee-Chee Premier, The Conlon Collection, K-Mart All-Star sets and whatever old Fleer and Score packs were at discount.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

is an oj rookie surge on the horizon

he cant sue for defamation anymore!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

i may be mistaken but i think they sort of emerged when psa and beckett had huge backlogs

some like the modern look of the slab itself