Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.

a few DRUNK BONERS posted:

We should learn how to eat rocks and sunlight

solar panels let us eat hydroponically, not sure about rocks but you can probably figure it out op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

tokin opposition posted:

solar panels let us eat hydroponically, not sure about rocks but you can probably figure it out op

you have to make the rocks think to turn them into solar panels

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

tokin opposition posted:

isn't that a good thing? are there other times when the threat has communism has lead to good things and can we use this somehow in other contexts?

In the moment yeah, it definitely helped the U.S. in the Cold War.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
it has been nice to make some pickles, because you can get the cheap mediocre vegetables when they're in season and turn them into a tasty treat

also like you don't need to them shipped and it's a low energy food-preservation method or whatever

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

tokin opposition posted:

smythe is semen vegan yes or no

we had this discussion b4 and i forget what the resolution was

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

There are people whose job is to masturbate turkeys, collect the semen, and then inject it into female turkeys.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
but I'd do it for free B)

FreeRangeHexagon
Apr 17, 2022

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

tokin opposition posted:

isn't that a good thing? are there other times when the threat has communism has lead to good things and can we use this somehow in other contexts?
the green revolution destroyed the earth

err
Apr 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/sovietvisuals/status/1556886493255254016?t=uwq-OJHFz9_RwO6pdIItTQ&s=19

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
I always insist we need to collectivize the farm, and then my ADC gets mad for some reason

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

They don't even bother to put fences around fields lol

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
i tried to germinate rice from the store but couldn't figure it out

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

the green revolution destroyed the earth

How do?

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

How did the communists do it?

err
Apr 11, 2005

Reliance on oil.

Attempting to reduce oil consumption will just affect food security. The green revolution just kicked the can down the road.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

err posted:

Reliance on oil.

Attempting to reduce oil consumption will just affect food security. The green revolution just kicked the can down the road.
not just oil, but also every derived effect from increasing food production, such as making agricultural lands less and less productive. we're hurtling towards towards a scenario where we've increased food demand, but reduced the carrying capacity of the earth to well below where it used to be. So for example, 10 billion people on a planet that can now comfortably support 1 billion, rather than 4 billion on a planet that could comfortably support 3 billion.

err
Apr 11, 2005

A Buttery Pastry posted:

not just oil, but also every derived effect from increasing food production, such as making agricultural lands less and less productive. we're hurtling towards towards a scenario where we've increased food demand, but reduced the carrying capacity of the earth to well below where it used to be. So for example, 10 billion people on a planet that can now comfortably support 1 billion, rather than 4 billion on a planet that could comfortably support 3 billion.

I agree. People often mistake these arguments as pro-malthusian or something. But it's simply a result of new technologies rapidly entering the agricultural space and finding out we overextended later on.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

A Buttery Pastry posted:

err posted:

Reliance on oil.

Well then, What Is To Be Done?

err
Apr 11, 2005

tokin opposition posted:

Centralized government able to react and respond to changing conditions in a rapidly warming world.

Experts know things like feedlots and farming in a desert shouldn't exist, but there is no political power to stop it.

I started farming locally but I know this isn't available to everyone and is simply a coping strategy for many people.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

tokin opposition posted:

the answer is literally mtw

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

maybe we could make like a mobile app for growing, harvesting and processing food

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

ben shapino posted:

maybe we could make like a mobile app for growing, harvesting and processing food

i'll start the wiki

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

ben shapino posted:

Fudr

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

A Buttery Pastry posted:

err posted:

I agree. People often mistake these arguments as pro-malthusian or something. But it's simply a result of new technologies rapidly entering the agricultural space and finding out we overextended later on.

err posted:

Centralized government able to react and respond to changing conditions in a rapidly warming world.

Hypothetically what do you think a strong centralized government should do as a reaction to a world that it (the government) believes can only support 1/10th of the current world population

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

The Oldest Man posted:

Hypothetically what do you think a strong centralized government should do as a reaction to a world that it (the government) believes can only support 1/10th of the current world population
Kill everyone over 30.

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

tokin opposition posted:

this is what they mean when they say that competition breeds innovation. in a globally competitive marketplace of ideas, capitalism is forced to compete with communism, and has to do good things in addition to torture, murder, etc.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Kill everyone over 30.

Ok I think gets you less than half-way, who else do you kill

e: is state mandated cannibalism an option

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

To be clear, the creation of the mechanisms of control required for state mandated cannibalism present a clear and present danger to the community interest and bodily autonomy of the people. Once the bureaus and departments of human harvesting distribution are created, and their halls populated with careerist cannibureaucrats, how will the state react when confronted with a new problem? With more cannibalism of course. That is the way of the cannibal-state.

That's why I think it makes more sense to adopt anarcho-cannibalism where everyone just freestyle hunts and eats each other

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Smythe posted:

the answer is literally mtw

that's right.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

how would food be produced under mtw?

err
Apr 11, 2005

The Oldest Man posted:

International cooperation is all we can do and hope for. We are going to get major disruptions to food security regardless.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

The Oldest Man posted:

To be clear, the creation of the mechanisms of control required for state mandated cannibalism present a clear and present danger to the community interest and bodily autonomy of the people. Once the bureaus and departments of human harvesting distribution are created, and their halls populated with careerist cannibureaucrats, how will the state react when confronted with a new problem? With more cannibalism of course. That is the way of the cannibal-state.

That's why I think it makes more sense to adopt anarcho-cannibalism where everyone just freestyle hunts and eats each other
that's why you kill everyone over 30. you can't make a real bureaucracy with under-30s, because they'll just eat the dweebs who tries to bureaucratize cannibalism.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFaY13f6UI0

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Corporate farms, but they're state owned. Also the animals are happier for some reason

err
Apr 11, 2005

Force the proles to go vegan or eat grubs.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
Effort post:
This is something I have been giving a lot of thought to in the past few years.

Strong community helps so much. Both with physical safety, but also labor, food, all your basic needs. Amish people all coming together to build a barn in a day, etc. Neighbor farm with milk cows has excess manure that you can take to grow vegetables. One person's crop failure can be supported by their neighbors so they do not starve.

This year (or was it last year) my partner and I purchased 90 acres in a subtropical region where they are a citizen.

Long term plans(5-10 years):
We plan for solar + nickel iron batteries (non-hazardous). The batteries are heavy, and take up space (in a house it doesn't matter as much vs as in a car), so you just build a shed to store them. They can last 60+ years if well maintained, and uses an electrolyte of potassium. You can dump old batteries on your farm and its literally fertilizer.

A well, rain water catchment tanks, and a series of swales and small ponds for drinking water and irrigation. Sand charcoal gravel water filter for drinking?(not sure about that) Plan to stock the ponds with tilapia.

Composting toilets, and a septic tank for sewage. Reed beds using biodegradable soap with a grease trap, for kitchen and laundry waste water.

Set aside 10+ acres to grow sunflowers for the oil. Use the oil to make biodiesel for a small 4x4 pickup truck to be your transportation. Maybe an electric ATV for shorter travel distances.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rtj6ktUVjac

HAM radio, cell phones, satellite internet for communication.

Permaculture, food forest, agroforestry for our fruit and vegetable gardens. Integrating livestock to eat and clear weeds, along with their manure to fertilize. Fish that are in the ponds.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEBelPUM8tA

e: I forgot, my in-laws have already hung up 20 bee hives in the trees. Can't wait to move there permanently!

Fozzy The Bear has issued a correction as of 23:35 on Aug 9, 2022

pissinthewind
Nov 11, 2021

guess ill b hitting up ur place with my ar15 and rest of the cannibal crew when the rich start running out

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
you got us penn jillette, only the market can sustain humanity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

The Oldest Man posted:

Is it the planet that can only support 1/10th of the population or is it our technology? China just invented rice that can grow in sea water, I bet there are technological innovations that could theoretically help sustain that amount of people.