Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Welcome to Drum Corps International Finals Week 2022!

Yes, after three years, we are in the midst of the first competitive Finals week since COVID. The corps are converging on Indianapolis for another five (now four) days of competition. So here’s a place to talk about it!

Cool! How do I watch Finals Week?

Besides going to Indy, most everything will be covered via a subscription at flomarching.com. You should be able to pay for a month and get access to everything but World Class Corps 15-1 on Thursday, which you must go to the movie theater to view. The broadcasts are (all times Eastern, double-check all times to be sure):

• Tuesday – 6 pm – Open Class World Championship Finals
• Thursday – 10:30 am – 6ish pm – DCI World Championships Prelims – Open Class and World Class 20 - 16
• Thursday – 6:30 pm – Big, Loud & Live at Movie Theaters – World Class 15-1 (https://www.fathomevents.com/events...athom_EventPage)
• Friday – 1 pm – Semi-Finals – Top 25 corps from Prelims
• Saturday – 5:30 pm – Finals – Top 12 corps from Semis

There are limited VODs on Flomarching where they could get the copyright, and all streams are one-time broadcasts with a few caveats:

• All streams are rebroadcast the following mornings around Noon Eastern(?), but the Thursday-Sat shows may be starting two hours earlier due to total length. Check the schedules accordingly.
• If you are watching on the web, you can rewind the live feeds to replay shows earlier in the stream until they take the stream down.
• Check the available viewing options to see if there’s an app available
• Individual shows tend to migrate to YouTube during the season. Expect them to start disappearing a week or so after Finals, but it’s an excellent way to rewatch/share the shows.

Excellent! What do I need to know for 2022?

1. Blue Devils are going to win.

I mean, I expect it. They’ve been undefeated all season, and I don’t see that changing, but there’s always an outside chance that another corps could take it. Could it be Crown? Could it be Bluecoats? Could it be Boston? (Yes, Boston was within a tenth or two of BD at one point of the season.)

This is where you see how long someone has been out of the loop by their response. Do they double-take when you mention Boston is a championship contender?

2. The last two spaces in Finals are going to be a bloodbath

Usually the Top 12 is pretty much set at this point, maybe there’s a corps in the hunt, but it would take perfect alignment for it to happen.

This year we have four corps fighting for two spots, and while it’s just guesswork based on applying the transitive property to the last few days of shows, I’d say all four corps are within a point of each other.

- Crossmen, the usual dream slayer
- Colts, who are playing their butts off
- Blue Knights, the visual masters, and
- Troopers, one of the 2022 audience favorites who pulled within 0.15 of BK last night

Full disclosure: I am a Troopers Alumni (see the 11 in my username 😊), so I’m biased.

If I had my choice, I’d have Colts and Troop perform on Saturday, and I think Troop has the momentum and the most space to grow over the last couple of days of the season. We’ll see what happens, and no matter the results I want to be able to get professional videos for all four shows. (I’m still mad that Wild Horses and Colts 2015 got lost in the copyright apocalypse.)

(And seriously, watch Troop’s show. IT’S SOOOOOO GOOD, no matter where it ends up.)

3. Will we have a new Open Class champion?

It’s Vanguard Cadets vs. Gold for the Open Class Championship. Both corps tied the weekend before, SCVC won Prelims; we’ll see what happens Tuesday night.

4. Other things of note

To get you up-to-date:

- Make sure you check out Mandarins. Of the rest of the Finalists that I haven’t mentioned, both Mandarins and Phantom are on my “I can’t wait!” list
- There are no bad performances. Even the last corps in Open Class is fun; everyone in World Class is worth your time. I don’t know who will make Friday, but Surf, PC, Academy, Music City, and Genesis deserve your eyeballs. Hopefully, I can make it to the stadium in time for the first corps on Thursday.
- Madison went co-ed after 2019, and it’s a welcome step. They’re kicking off the movie theater show, and they deserve it.
- If you like to watch the corps warm-up in the lot, don’t do it this year. Many corps have locked down warm-ups to keep their covid bubble intact. Watch from the stands/at home until they’re done competing.
- Crown has a companion app that makes your phone flash or something else in time with the show. I’d expect that unless you are going to be in the stadium, I wouldn’t bother.
- Oh, and it’s the 50th Anniversary of DCI. So expect a lot of Anniversary shenanigans, including a performance by the Bluecoats Alumni Corps!

Drum Corps is fun, and everyone is ready to give their final performances their all. Just watch, already!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
Also, if you're jonesing for more drum corps after DCI finals, two weeks later the weekend/all-ages circuit Drum Corps Associates is having their championship in Rochester, NY. (Live event tickets, weekend stream via Box 5 TV).

This is also DCA's first full season in three years, and though the circuit's lost a few corps (Sunrisers, Southern Knights and Highland Regiment all folded over the course of the pandemic, and Carolina Gold moved to DCI Open) it's the start of the new three-division system that should make for some tighter competition for the top spot in each class, along with some shakeups in who's in which class as corps work to rebuild their membership numbers.

World class (85 to 128 members): Reading Buccaneers, Hawthorne Caballeros, Bushwackers (Princeton, NJ), White Sabers (Rochester, NY)
Open class (65 to 85 members): Atlanta CV, Cincinnati Tradition, Connecticut Hurricanes, Rogues Hollow Regiment (Doylestown, OH)
Class A (26 to 64 members): Columbus Saints, Fusion Core (Dover, NJ), Govenaires (St. Peter, MN), Skyliners (Wilkes-Barre, PA)

After being perennial favorites for two decades, the Buccaneers were forced to pull out of last year's partial season, giving the Caballeros their first championship since 2003. Cabs are currently on top of the standings, looking to confirm that last year's result wasn't just a fluke, and the Bushwackers are on the Bucs' heels.

Open class is the new class this year, and it's a four-way race between all the corps jockeying for position to establish themselves. Rogues Hollow Regiment is hoping to continue its upwards trajectory after winning Class A in their first year out as an approved corps.

Class A has lost a couple corps from before the pandemic, either due to promotion to Open or folding, but it's also gained Fusion Core, who are now competing with class A favorites the Govenaires for the top spot.

While it's not as glossy and polished as DCI World Class, the DCA corps are scrappy and entertaining. Consider checking them out if you want to see what the weekend warriors can do.

The Chairman fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Aug 9, 2022

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

I assume the Box 5 broadcasts are "live only" as well? I may check out the DCA Prelims, since I'll be at All Out opposite the Finals.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Pinwiz11 posted:

I assume the Box 5 broadcasts are "live only" as well? I may check out the DCA Prelims, since I'll be at All Out opposite the Finals.

Yeah, they don't have the license necessary for anything but live broadcast.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

PRELIMS DAY WOOOOOOO :woop:

https://twitter.com/DCI/status/1557736095319834624?t=mZ3ADOlCc4qKBT1c3vUTOA&s=19

Pinwiz11 fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Aug 11, 2022

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Prelims update: It's a great year.

Jersey Surf rocked their performance and made Semis. :woop:

That kept Calgary out of Semis. :smith:

But they have an exhibition today anyway so best of both worlds! :woop:

TROOPERS PLACED 12TH AAAAAAAAAAA :supaburn: COLTS GOT 11TH

So many too shows are better live, I love this week.

Boston's guard is so good I want to cuss it out.

Blue Devils are soooo winning.

Semis start in 20 minutes!

https://twitter.com/DCI/status/1558121135576739840?t=VoV9QvexwFtBa9kYQpbMWA&s=19

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Thanks for reminding me this art form exists. As a non-American it’s easy to forget about it even without a pandemic. Rediscovering it about every 5 years is always such a delight!

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

I'm thinking that we may want a general Marching Arts thread going forward. DCI is in my blood so I know the schedule by heart but I'd completely miss out on BOA and WGI if I don't get reminders. (Not sure which forum it should be in.)

FINALS DAY

Troopers and Colts made Finals for the first time in over a decade, with Colts taking 11th by 0.025. I'M SOOOOOO HAPPY AAAAAAAAA HO TROOP!!!

Boston and Bluecoats tied for 2nd.

Boston should have locked up top Guard, and SCV won drums last night but BD still has the lead, BD should win everything else including the championship.

Time for the victory lap!

https://twitter.com/DCI/status/1558455834476089345?t=DaVCyWsAE9ErmibZIq83iA&s=19

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
did someone post this yet no ok

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EDIDCdy5Es

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming