Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
It's over, wokecels!

P.S.: please do not bully me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I don't think "the divinity of the womb" is necessarily antithetical to the chud viewpoint.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Xealot posted:

That said, I don't know that 2049 is well-liked by conservatives. The only people I can think of who did like it are from a kind of film-crit strata of art movie fans. Mass audiences seem to have found it plodding and indulgent regardless of their politics.

Have there been any movies the Go Broke people have liked? I don't think "appreciating things" — even art that might align with their ideology — is really part of their deal.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Ghost Leviathan posted:

What might be called the Tipper Gore alliance of pearl-clutching liberals with the moralising right is something that's had a lasting legacy. Remember Hillary Clinton teaming up with Jack Thompson? Unfortunately the idea of ignorant and hysterical critics demanding ham-fisted censorship of media based on mostly imagined unjustifiable violence and depravity is still fresh in the minds of a lot of nerds, and there's still a sliver of truth to it.

I think there's more than a sliver of truth, it's just the targets have changed. (And so older nerds with older nerd interests (ie: us folks) are largely off the hook.)

Pokemon, Dungeons and Dragons, and Grand Theft Auto are safe but media aimed at the YA audience — especially novels and cartoons, and especially especially when it features queer/feminist/"woke" themes — is a loving minefield. This goes hand-in-hand with a sentiment in these circles that liking the wrong books/movies/games/whatever is evidence against a person's moral character.

(Max Graves is the artist/author of What Happens Next)

A lot of this is aided by a youth culture that feels a strong need to self-police. A critic isn't going to convince anyone to censor something simply for having queer characters, but if they can make the argument that those characters are bad representation...

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Sep 27, 2022

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Jaxyon posted:

Again, it doesn't matter how smart or dumb it is. If you make a movie about a 6'5" aryan warrior badass and cast exactly zero nonwhite people, the white supremacists are going to enjoy your movie, even if you explicitly don't want them to. That's how it plays into white supremacist culture. You don't get to opt-out, because you don't get to opt-out of western society and it's inherent white supremacy.

I agree with this, in a sense, but you're not taking this far enough: any story produced by anyone starring any people is a product of white supremacy society, because society is white supremacist and these stories are products of that. Positing "white" stories as being uniquely culpable is failing to engage with this. You don't get to opt-out.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Unfortunately like a lot of media it's the fringe stuff that often has the worst ageing and yet also some of the best and most progressive sexual themes, because it was all on the fringe back then. (the more horrible stuff less so)

80s anime in particular was when the "otaku" community was first firmly established and also when Japan was most glut from the economic bubble. There was a lot of money being thrown around pretty freely and a lot of amateurs vacuuming those funds up to produce either independent projects or studio projects with little over sight. It's not surprising that what that period produced stretched the full range from gross to progressive.

(All that aside, gnarly cyberpunk having gross sexual politics is kind of part and parcel for the genre.)

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

I AM GRANDO posted:

Of course, that gets into that weird inappropriate sympathy from villains territory, like Dr. Doom crying over 9/11.

I was going to joke "Dr. Doom should go after bigots too" but then I remembered Magneto, so I guess that base is already covered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Das Boo posted:

It is, specifically with Pearl vs her doubles. There's a huge cultural exchange now with Western and Eastern animation because we all grew up watching each other's poo poo. Despite being told in art school that we have to be purists to find work, lol.

My showrunner on Superman literally called me last night to chat about anime. Oh, but Lois is Korean-American and Jimmy is black, so I guess we're ruining Superman with wokeness!

This has always been the case to one degree or another, too. All the big anime studios in the 60s and 70s where extremely cognizant of Hanna-Barbera and Jay Ward Productions and the like, while on the other end you have Wacky Races and Dynomutt which are basically more comedic takes on Speed Racer and Casshern.