Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ohtori Akio
i like this one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ohtori Akio
this one's freaking sweet i'll embed the pics https://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/27599

Ohtori Akio
anybody else think swords are rad

Ohtori Akio
some chinese researchers dug this bad boy out of a grave perfectly preserved covered in words basically saying I AM THE SWORD OF CHINESE KING ARTHUR it's sick as hell. then they lent it out of country to some museum where someone dropped it and put a huge crack in it lol

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae
Salamander

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae
Sassafras

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae
Sabbatarian

Ohtori Akio
sword

biosterous

i appreciate that whoever designed anduril for the lotr movies made it first and foremost a functional sword. some elf runes carved into the fuller, some ornamentation at the pommel and the edges of the crossguard, but other than that it's Just A Sword and i appreciate that a lot

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

google THIS

Is this a cool thread?

Sworda

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag
don't fuckin mess with swords

http://www.channel101.com/episode/477

thanks deep dish pete moss and Plant MONSTER

nut

cool swords

Mummy Napkin
does a keyblade count as a sword?

Manifisto

Ohtori Akio posted:

anybody else think swords are rad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdGpvnNUehM

ty nesamdoom!

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag
it's tape
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jb3UobSZl34

thanks deep dish pete moss and Plant MONSTER

free hubcaps

Szczerbiec (try saying that five times fast!) is the Polish coronation sword and is pretty neat looking! it has some magical formula on the hilt or something

ty Saoshyant!

Ohtori Akio

biosterous posted:

i appreciate that whoever designed anduril for the lotr movies made it first and foremost a functional sword. some elf runes carved into the fuller, some ornamentation at the pommel and the edges of the crossguard, but other than that it's Just A Sword and i appreciate that a lot

i agree a lot i like it when fantasy swords look like they'd hurt if someone whacked you with em

Mummy Napkin posted:

does a keyblade count as a sword?

yeah definitely

free hubcaps posted:

Szczerbiec (try saying that five times fast!) is the Polish coronation sword and is pretty neat looking! it has some magical formula on the hilt or something

this is sick i love how many important national swords are still around. ill never be able to pronounce polish though

baka of lathspell

what are keyblades keys to? unfortunate peoples skulls?

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae
How do you open doors in Florida? With Florida keys

Ohtori Akio

baka fwocka fwame posted:

what are keyblades keys to? unfortunate peoples skulls?

you open and close symbolic keys to disney franchises with them. but also yeah clubbing dudes

kitten riot

lol

Ohtori Akio posted:

i like this one

this looks sharp, like sharper than a usual sword

Ohtori Akio

kitten riot posted:

this looks sharp, like sharper than a usual sword

to me? it looks like a friend

Heather Papps

hello friend

i like swords. here is a page with information about my favourite swords.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulfberht_swords
whoever produced these (it had to be a workshop, production of them was longer than one lifespan) was making just loving killer swords. they were status items as well as weapons because they were crafted at a higher standard than the average sword of the time. none of them are in as good shape as the japanese blades but that's partially because swords ended up buried with people instead of being passed down reverently i guess.

also if you like swords reading about the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oakeshott_typology is pretty fascinating. look at all these dang swords!

lastly somehow in my teenage years i came into possession of a weird small and dull copy of tizona. i found it in my front yard and have kept it ever since. it was hanging on a wall but i renovated that room and now i'm not sure where it is. a cool sword but i don't know enough about el cid to be sure if it's cool to have.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tizona

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Ohtori Akio

Heather Papps posted:

whoever produced these (it had to be a workshop, production of them was longer than one lifespan) was making just loving killer swords. they were status items as well as weapons because they were crafted at a higher standard than the average sword of the time. none of them are in as good shape as the japanese blades but that's partially because swords ended up buried with people instead of being passed down reverently i guess.

imo the northern european pagan tradition of swords is sick as hell, partly because when you died and they held a funeral for you somebody would gently caress up your sword before tucking it in your grave with you. iirc its really cool Symbolism yeah but also: so nobody messes with your grave trying to get your sick rear end sword

Ohtori Akio
also it rules that for centuries and centuries metalwork was an area where Closely Guarded Trade Secrets mattered a hell of a lot. even super specific origins, apparently back in the day when you got a sword through damascene trade routes it'd be likely to have been made with better ore. but at the time people were just like ah poo poo these fancy eastern weapons...must have been made by the True Masters

Ohtori Akio
in conclusion, did you know that naginata are swords under japanese reckoning? check out this sick rear end sword (missing its really long handle)

most of the important european antiques don't get polished up because like, that slowly eats them away right? whereas the japanese museums keep them polished and pretty. everything gets destroyed eventually, let's see that hamon while we can

Heather Papps

hello friend

so the modern idea of a dude being like master chief and just loving mowing thru mountains of enemies is a modern myth but the idea that a samurai with a good sword could destroy a peasant rebellion almost singlehandedly makes perfect sense, or that a mounted plate armoured dude with a halberd could singlehandedly defeat a bunch of bronze age tech folk is completely reasonable. someone made a very funny post about seeing a warrior kings skeleton and realizing that he is half your size, but if that dude had a really sharp sword and good armour and was fighting people clothed in furs and swinging stone axes everything makes sense.

the past must have been pretty intense.

Ohtori Akio
oh absolutely. even at late eras and without military nobility, heavy infantry loving shreds light infantry. let alone a dude on a horse with a spear booking it towards you? no thanks buddy i'm going back to farming

Heather Papps

hello friend

a proto ninja, looking back and forth rapidly at a chain and sickle

poverty goat

a wise man once said "don't gently caress with swords. swords will cut a loving baby in half" but I don't believe him

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

Heather Papps posted:

so the modern idea of a dude being like master chief and just loving mowing thru mountains of enemies is a modern myth but the idea that a samurai with a good sword could destroy a peasant rebellion almost singlehandedly makes perfect sense, or that a mounted plate armoured dude with a halberd could singlehandedly defeat a bunch of bronze age tech folk is completely reasonable. someone made a very funny post about seeing a warrior kings skeleton and realizing that he is half your size, but if that dude had a really sharp sword and good armour and was fighting people clothed in furs and swinging stone axes everything makes sense.

the past must have been pretty intense.

tbf, if i was facing a warrior king skeleton, i'd be pretty hosed regardless of being taller

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Areola Grande

it's a free country u pervs

me and Ol' Trusty, summer of '19

spring sigs by nesamdoom and Ravenous Scoot

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae
Which one carries whom?

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

this is wonderful

https://i.imgur.com/R8ctked.mp4
ty Manifisto for this wonderful sig!

Barco Fiesta

a fantasy of olives

biosterous posted:

That would be John Howe of Weta Workshop in New Zealand.

Ohtori Akio

Areola Grande posted:

me and Ol' Trusty, summer of '19

hell yeah brother

Dip Viscous

i don't know much about swords but i always thought the dadao was a neat design, looks like it'd be good for barbecuing

biosterous

Barco Fiesta posted:

That would be John Howe of Weta Workshop in New Zealand.

thanks john howe you did a good job designing that sword

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

Ohtori Akio

biosterous posted:

thanks john howe you did a good job designing that sword

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince

My guilty pleasure is watching skellagrim on YouTube. It's so unapologetically nerdy about ancient and fantasy weapons. It would not surprise me at all if he posted in GBS, but that's all part of the charm.