Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heather Papps

hello friend

i like swords. here is a page with information about my favourite swords.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulfberht_swords
whoever produced these (it had to be a workshop, production of them was longer than one lifespan) was making just loving killer swords. they were status items as well as weapons because they were crafted at a higher standard than the average sword of the time. none of them are in as good shape as the japanese blades but that's partially because swords ended up buried with people instead of being passed down reverently i guess.

also if you like swords reading about the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oakeshott_typology is pretty fascinating. look at all these dang swords!

lastly somehow in my teenage years i came into possession of a weird small and dull copy of tizona. i found it in my front yard and have kept it ever since. it was hanging on a wall but i renovated that room and now i'm not sure where it is. a cool sword but i don't know enough about el cid to be sure if it's cool to have.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tizona

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heather Papps

hello friend

so the modern idea of a dude being like master chief and just loving mowing thru mountains of enemies is a modern myth but the idea that a samurai with a good sword could destroy a peasant rebellion almost singlehandedly makes perfect sense, or that a mounted plate armoured dude with a halberd could singlehandedly defeat a bunch of bronze age tech folk is completely reasonable. someone made a very funny post about seeing a warrior kings skeleton and realizing that he is half your size, but if that dude had a really sharp sword and good armour and was fighting people clothed in furs and swinging stone axes everything makes sense.

the past must have been pretty intense.

Heather Papps

hello friend

a proto ninja, looking back and forth rapidly at a chain and sickle

Heather Papps

hello friend

Scuba Trooper posted:

what if a knight fought a samurai…with sowrds

god i miss chivalry: deadliest warrior. vikings fighting pirates fighting samurai fighting spartans. maybe the most fun i've ever had in a multiplayer game ever.

Heather Papps

hello friend

2 v cool swords