Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

spiderman 2 came out in 2004 good lord

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 28 days!)

they should have just had Sam Raimi do all the post endgame movies.

There was a bunch of stuff you could nitpick with Multivese of Madness, but at least, cinematic-wise, it looked good, and actually felt there was a director's persona touch for the movie and not a robot.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I'd be down for Raimi X-Men movies in the MCU.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

BiggerBoat posted:

I haven't watched What If at all but isn't the entirety of the MCU right now just a big "What If?" anyways? Given the time travel and the dimensions and the multiverse this and retcon that where death is trivial, where's the payoff where "what if this other thing happened?"

No.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

BiggerBoat posted:

I haven't watched What If at all but isn't the entirety of the MCU right now just a big "What If?" anyways? Given the time travel and the dimensions and the multiverse this and retcon that where death is trivial, where's the payoff where "what if this other thing happened?"

That's what could go wrong with the multiverus setup but Coulson, Loki, Gamora, Vision and Bucky are the only dead characters that have been brought back, and all of them had some cost. The dusted characters also returned but that was always going to happen.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Upsidads posted:

spiderman 2 came out in 2004 good lord

almost twenty years since we had a good comic book movie, smh

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

almost twenty years since we had a good comic book movie, smh

Over twenty, Blade came out 1998.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

One More Fat Nerd posted:

Over twenty, Blade came out 1998.

Blade is a vampire movie.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Blade is a vampire movie.

I can't believe its been over 25 years since we've had a good comic book movie, or a good vampire movie.

The Matrix was right, human civilization did peak in the late 90's.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

man, Blade probably is the last good vampire movie, huh? wild.

before you ask, I didn't care for Let the Right One In.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
DRACULA 3D and THIRST, op.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Morbius

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Thirst is okay i guess. kinda b-tier Park Chan-wook imo.

Dracula 3D is perennially on my watchlist but I still haven't gotten around to it. I'm glad you're stumping for it, though.

there's the real answer, thank you for reminding me

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Said it before and I'll say it again, all the meme bad movies are just pretending, DRACULA 3D is genuinely bad.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
loving hell, Aquaman 2 only had an opening domestic weekend of $27.7 million. That's slightly higher than Blue Beetle but a couple mill short of Shazam 2. For comparison, The Marvels had a domestic opening weekend of $46m, Flash had $55m and Eternals pulled in $71m

I don't think word of mouth is going to save this stinker, I'm guessing it'll fall back to second place behind Wonka by next weekend.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Maybe we’ll get Ferrari on some premium screens then. drat that would be nice.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Surprised they didn't push for FERRARI IMAX.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

The funny thing is Aquaman 1 made over a billion, lmao. Good job WB.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

teagone posted:

I blame Gunn just because I want to.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
Poor James Wan hasn’t had a miss in like 15 years and they do this to him

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

teagone posted:

It seems like I was right, and Aquaman 1 made its cash off the residual hype from BVS. People wanted to see an Aquaman movie in the style of Man Of Steel, while Aquaman 2 provides an Aquaman movie in the style of The Flash.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

man, Blade probably is the last good vampire movie, huh? wild.

before you ask, I didn't care for Let the Right One In.

I think there have been more good vampire movies than zombie movies since Blade despite the consensus of this being the big zombie pop culture resurgence. I would personally go to bat for: Blade II, Let the Right One In (and even Let Me In, which is good but definitely redundant), Shadow of the Vampire, Byzantium, What We Do in the Shadows, and Only Lovers Left Alive. I'll also give props to the AHS season with Lady Gaga as the vampire queen and the vampire kids spreading super-mumps to all the LA anti-vaxxer moms, and the short NBC show where Jonathan Rhys Meyers imagined what it would be like if Dracula was Tesla. Wasn't good but at least was entertainingly weird and did something new. And obviously the WWDITS show.

Good zombie movies in that time though are basically just 28 Days Later, Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead, and Fido. Maybe Land of the Dead too but I haven't watched it since it came out. Despite liking Only Lovers Left Alive, I thought The Dead Don't Die was just terrible.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Only Lovers Left Alive was pretty good.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Chairman Capone posted:

I think there have been more good vampire movies than zombie movies since Blade despite the consensus of this being the big zombie pop culture resurgence. I would personally go to bat for: Blade II, Let the Right One In (and even Let Me In, which is good but definitely redundant), Shadow of the Vampire, Byzantium, What We Do in the Shadows, and Only Lovers Left Alive. I'll also give props to the AHS season with Lady Gaga as the vampire queen and the vampire kids spreading super-mumps to all the LA anti-vaxxer moms, and the short NBC show where Jonathan Rhys Meyers imagined what it would be like if Dracula was Tesla. Wasn't good but at least was entertainingly weird and did something new. And obviously the WWDITS show.

Good zombie movies in that time though are basically just 28 Days Later, Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead, and Fido. Maybe Land of the Dead too but I haven't watched it since it came out. Despite liking Only Lovers Left Alive, I thought The Dead Don't Die was just terrible.

Train to Busan, Zombieland, I am legend, pontypool - just off the top of my head

Vampire movies have been miserable

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I don't think word of mouth is going to save this stinker, I'm guessing it'll fall back to second place behind Wonka by next weekend.

Update: this was a pretty dumb thing for me to say. Aquaman 2 had already fallen massively behind Wonka by Tuesday

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

One of my fav vamp flicks tbh

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Surprised they didn't push for FERRARI IMAX.
There were some AMC showings in Dolby Cinema, which is Atmos and a better image than digital IMAX*, and the people I know that saw it were blown away. I might set up my surround system again when it gets to streaming.

*And much worse marketing lol.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Pillowpants posted:

Dracula movies certainly have been.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

teagone posted:

I think it's a prime example of a movie that was fun and popular in the moment, and therefore financially successful, but not something that really left a strong impression on people so it can't stand the test of time. With a movie like that you have to strike while the iron is still hot, you can't delay and delay and delay and then release the movie 5 years later. People have moved on, the idea of an Aquaman sequel doesn't move the needle anymore. You're not getting the natural boost that being a sequel to something successful usually provides, so the movie drat well better be good on it's own merits. And by all accounts Aquaman 2 is not.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Pillowpants posted:

The only excellent new vampire movie I've seen since Only Lovers Left Alive has been Bones and All.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

2023 was also just kind of a poo poo year for the box office in general. Barbie and Mario blew the gently caress up but frigging Ant-Man is both a huge failure and one of the top 10 grossing films of the year which are still dominated almost exclusively by Disney and Marvel.

It's even worse if you just look at the US domestic box office where the loving Sound of Freedom is one of the top 10 for the year.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

The only excellent new vampire movie I've seen since Only Lovers Left Alive has been Bones and All.

that’s a cannibal movie, homie. always bet on a cannibal movie.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
It is not a surprise that Ant-Man 3 is a failure it is a surprise than Ant-Man 1 and 2 are successes

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

2023 was also just kind of a poo poo year for the box office in general. Barbie and Mario blew the gently caress up but frigging Ant-Man is both a huge failure and one of the top 10 grossing films of the year which are still dominated almost exclusively by Disney and Marvel.

It's even worse if you just look at the US domestic box office where the loving Sound of Freedom is one of the top 10 for the year.

It’s been an especially terrible year for Disney, which is fun. Here’s a tidbit i got from Tim Brayton’s review of Wish:

quote:

Meaning, in this case, that out of Disney's eight theatrical feature films in 2023, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 is the only one to have unambiguously turned a good profit, while Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania, The Little Mermaid, and Elemental have all managed to break even, more or less. Meanwhile, fully half of the company's releases this year - Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny, Haunted Mansion, The Marvels, and Wish itself - are all jockeying for spots on the list of the biggest financial bombs in cinema history, and The Marvels stands to be literally the #1 film on that list.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

It’s been an especially terrible year for Disney, which is fun. Here’s a tidbit i got from Tim Brayton’s review of Wish:

Yeah, it's kind of insane that "Disney made most of the biggest movies of the year" and "Disney lost a loving assload of money" are both true. Hell, it's also true of WB where Barbie's unexpected success is basically the only thing that saved them from one of the most dire years a studio has ever had. (And with Aquaman 2 looking to perform extremely poorly even Barbie might not be enough.)

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 28 days!)

Reinfield was a big disappointment of a vampire movie.

How was the Vampire on a Boat movie? The Last Voyage?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GateOfD posted:

Reinfield was a big disappointment of a vampire movie.

Renfield was a terrible vampire movie but a fantastic Vampire Survivor game!

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

loving hell, Aquaman 2 only had an opening domestic weekend of $27.7 million. That's slightly higher than Blue Beetle but a couple mill short of Shazam 2. For comparison, The Marvels had a domestic opening weekend of $46m, Flash had $55m and Eternals pulled in $71m

It's doing OK in China, where it's the highest Superhero opener of the year. They still love water themed blockbusters there. The Meg 2 turned a profit off that audience.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

And Thirst

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

GateOfD posted:

I liked The Last Voyage of the Demeter a lot but I'm probably wrong.