Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Mat Cauthon posted:

And tbh they hopefully have learned the right lessons from BP2 where they should've just recast T'Challa, make the correct noises about honoring Boseman's legacy, and then moved on.

There's a big difference between filmmakers not recasting T'Challa to mourn the death of their actual friend and not recasting Kang because they don't want to talk about what Majors did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
Keith David should not be Kang in the MCU, that would be a waste.

Keith David should be MEPHISTO in the MCU, so he can drop one of these on Dr. Strange in his next movie:

https://twitter.com/DarylSurat/status/1730046888928276812?s=20

In regards to Smith, I think his reaction has actually gotten less sympathetic as more and more of the details of his and Jada's relationship have become public.

It's gone from "Man Defends Beloved Wife" to "Man Makes Desperate Attempt to Garner Approval From Woman Who Has Openly Not Given A poo poo About Him For Years."

I don't feel bad for Chris Rock, you make a career out of talking poo poo, you take on the risk of getting hit.

I don't think Smith is a good replacement for Kang though. Donald Glover could work.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
If we are wish-casting, I'd love to see Sam Richardson in the role.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

live with fruit posted:

There's a big difference between filmmakers not recasting T'Challa to mourn the death of their actual friend and not recasting Kang because they don't want to talk about what Majors did.

I agree with you, and yeah obviously these things are not equivalent in any way.

That said, Disney letting Coogler turn BP2 into a 2 hour mourning exercise dragged the movie down. Not that it was ever going to be a great work of art but at that point in the Phase 4 rollout they didn't need yet another lackluster product.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Mat Cauthon posted:

Public sentiment has come out pretty strongly on Smith's side about the Oscar thing, especially after people pointed out that Jada Pinkett Smith has been the butt of some of Rock's jokes for years, way before the Oscars even.

Chris Rock has always been a comic who relied on a lot of misogynoir-ish tropes in his routines and he's not really evolved much, despite his support for movies like Good Hair (which is not quite as good as it gets credit for, IMO). I think he attempted to launder some of his reputation when he did that big press tour like a decade ago for Top Five but it didn't really stick because his personal opinions are clearly borderline reprehensible.

This is probably the biggest risk with Smith, he has just not transitioned well to the current era of celebrity where part of the formula for success is sharing a bunch of personal stuff so as to create the sense of a parasocial relationship with the audience. All the stuff about the open relationship with JPS, his stage dad tendencies with his kids, the stuff with Margot Robbie, etc - there's no small chance something really weird comes out and throws off the marketing for a big tentpole MCU thing but honestly Smith has been Teflon to any lasting reputation hits. Little reason to think that won't continue.

Yeah this didn't land as hard as it could have because a lot of people in Hollywood low-key hate Chris Rock. Will Smith was very high-key about it.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
A guy slapped a guy. Ultimately, it's not that important. We're all collectively trying to cope with the perceived need to have The Correct Take on an event that has nothing to do with any of us personally. This social pressure exists because those two douchebags are rich and famous. It's sick!

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

well why not posted:

Also, I don’t know why his deadshot wasn’t Evil Mike Lowery.

I think that's just mike lowery.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Tim heidecker is Kang.

He's already Whale Man.

Besides, I doubt Disney would want to team up with him again after his business partner Gregg Turkington famously and successfully sued George Lucas for stealing the Master Codebreaker character for Last Jedi.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Name Change posted:

Yeah this didn't land as hard as it could have because a lot of people in Hollywood low-key hate Chris Rock. Will Smith was very high-key about it.

I get the feeling the overall reaction was a mix of 'About drat time' and just finding it hilarious. It's probably the most genuine and relatable thing Will Smith has done in years.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Just reuse Chukwudi Iwuji. Who cares if he already played another insane villain, he's too perfect.

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

Hannibal Buress as Kang.

"Kang, I've done irreversible damage to my spine. Can you kill the Avengers for me?"
"I'll call you back, I'm about to get into something."

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I think all comedians should be wearing shock collars with remotes given to their audiences.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

anatomi posted:

Just reuse Chukwudi Iwuji. Who cares if he already played another insane villain, he's too perfect.

That actually would rule, I mean with the multiverse stuff would it even be weird? Just have him drop a quip about how after getting his face fixed he also found out the multiverse is a thing and decided he needed to evolve with the times and is Kang now, deal with it, no further explanation. Then he can just be regular insane Kang from then on.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I think they’ll just cut and run from Kang by throwing money at the original Avengers cast till they can get Xmen going.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Invalid Validation posted:

I think they’ll just cut and run from Kang by throwing money at the original Avengers cast till they can get Xmen going.

I wonder how many times the more recently appearing Young Avengers will be recast until a movie featuring them actually happens.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 13 days!)

other than the new Deadpool movie which I still count as the old stuff.

i feel the new x-men stuff are all gonna bomb as usual because too many fingers in the cookie jar.
Is there a tracker somewhere of the score?
Like I was surprised Aquaman 1 made that much money. Is there a tally of counting all the bombs and all the success and seeing where the entire DCU venture ended at?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I feel like whatever the first X-Men MCU movie they do is is going to do $$$$ no matter what because it will be the first X-flick in awhile and is enough of its own thing that people will be hype for something "new." Whatever the NEXT X-Men movie they do after that though? Unless the first one is legit outstanding I doubt it will do well if it's just another template MCU flick.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

didn't realize What If..S2 started already.
though looking at some the titles, it looks like a lot reminds me of just rehashes of the first season.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I wonder how long before memory of the Flash wears off and Disney puts in a cameo from a CG Chadwick Boseman in an MCU movie, like maybe by 2026?

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001
Morbid curiosity and an Alamo giftcard led me to watch Aquaman 2 yesterday, and holy poo poo.

Worst DCEU movie by far. The degree to which everyone seems completely checked out is unlike anything I’ve seen outside of a late-season sitcom episode. Momoa especially glides through the movie just whooping and wooing in a sad and forced way, and it feels like he ad-libbed a bunch of his lines. Patrick Wilson mostly seems embarrassed to be there as he delivers tons of obviously-shot-in-reshoots expository dialogue. Nicole Kidman seems like she doesn’t even know she’s in the movie, she’s got some real rehearsal/first-take energy going on, especially in this scene where she pauses because she’s unsure how everyone else in the cast is pronouncing the word “orichcalcum.” The movie opens with Arthur and Mera caring for what looks like a 6-month old baby, then there’s a large time jump, but the baby doesn’t age at all. There are so many scenes recapping the events of the first Aquaman, as if it didn’t make over a billion dollars and wasn’t probably the most widely-seen DCEU movie. At a certain point they just start making MCU references.

What a mess.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
The joke that Orm doesn’t know how to run is pretty funny, I guess

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

GateOfD posted:

didn't realize What If..S2 started already.
though looking at some the titles, it looks like a lot reminds me of just rehashes of the first season.

I haven't seen today's episode, but the first six have been overall good. Probably the weakest one is the first episode where Nebula is part of the Nova Corps, though it at least feels unique with its techno-noir setup. The only real rehash so far is "What If Captain Carter Fought the Hydra Stomper?" as it's a sequel to the first Captain Carter episode and basically mixes elements of Captain America: Winter Soldier and Black Widow.

The Christmas episode does give us more Sam Rockwell as Justin Hammer, which is nice.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

chime_on posted:

Morbid curiosity and an Alamo giftcard led me to watch Aquaman 2 yesterday, and holy poo poo.

Worst DCEU movie by far. The degree to which everyone seems completely checked out is unlike anything I’ve seen outside of a late-season sitcom episode. Momoa especially glides through the movie just whooping and wooing in a sad and forced way, and it feels like he ad-libbed a bunch of his lines. Patrick Wilson mostly seems embarrassed to be there as he delivers tons of obviously-shot-in-reshoots expository dialogue. Nicole Kidman seems like she doesn’t even know she’s in the movie, she’s got some real rehearsal/first-take energy going on, especially in this scene where she pauses because she’s unsure how everyone else in the cast is pronouncing the word “orichcalcum.” The movie opens with Arthur and Mera caring for what looks like a 6-month old baby, then there’s a large time jump, but the baby doesn’t age at all. There are so many scenes recapping the events of the first Aquaman, as if it didn’t make over a billion dollars and wasn’t probably the most widely-seen DCEU movie. At a certain point they just start making MCU references.

What a mess.

It's pronounced "orca cum"

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

If you say Aquaman 2 was the worst, you haven’t seen Shazam 2

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

GateOfD posted:

do they actually kill the baby?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

War and Pieces posted:

No zach Levi made it though the movie

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

War and Pieces posted:

You're thinking of the Flash.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Neo Rasa posted:

I feel like whatever the first X-Men MCU movie they do is is going to do $$$$ no matter what because it will be the first X-flick in awhile and is enough of its own thing that people will be hype for something "new." Whatever the NEXT X-Men movie they do after that though? Unless the first one is legit outstanding I doubt it will do well if it's just another template MCU flick.

I'm actually extremely curious about the next X-Men film because it seems like people have made it into this big "break glass in case of emergency" guaranteed mega-hit to save the MCU despite the fact that the X-Men films have never exactly been box office juggernauts (pun partially intended). The highest grossing movies of the entire franchise are DoFP and the two Deadpools and even those are barely passing stuff like the mid-range Phase 2 MCU stuff and topping out under the Guardians movies and basically anything from MCU Phase 3.

To put it another way, when the entire super hero movie landscape in the early 2000s was essentially only Spider-Man, X-Men and a handful of subpar stand-alones, the X-Men franchise was still doing half of the box-office that Spider-Man was

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

CelticPredator posted:

No zach Levi made it though the movie

Only after mommyWonder Woman halfheartedly resurrects him.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

GateOfD posted:

Like I was surprised Aquaman 1 made that much money. Is there a tally of counting all the bombs and all the success and seeing where the entire DCU venture ended at?

Whatever Zack Snyder was involved in bombed the hardest, is the official line.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
They should try making good movies.

Sounds wild but all the superhero movies released this year ranged from mediocre to bad with the exception of Spiderverse 2, going by the metric of Metacritic critic review scores as well as my own personal ratings.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I don't think there's any excitement for an x-men movie at this point that isn't Deadpool.

Still, if Marvel is that desperate, I'm not sure any sort of modern attempt is going to go well. I think you'd need to lean in hard with the 90's era because Deadpool at least sort of leaned into it. That's part of why I like it, anyway.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

best way I could imagine the X-men joining the MCU is to make them deathly serious and straightforward, pretty much like the 90s cartoon versions. Just have them completely not mesh with the MCU ironic detachment thing so they're constantly clashing with everyone else and all the MCU people think they're weird assholes

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

Martman posted:

best way I could imagine the X-men joining the MCU is to make them deathly serious and straightforward, pretty much like the 90s cartoon versions. Just have them completely not mesh with the MCU ironic detachment thing so they're constantly clashing with everyone else and all the MCU people think they're weird assholes

This. I really wish they'd set X-Men in the 90s and the F4 in the 60s, without it just being: Remember this?!

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Gavok posted:

I haven't seen today's episode, but the first six have been overall good. Probably the weakest one is the first episode where Nebula is part of the Nova Corps, though it at least feels unique with its techno-noir setup. The only real rehash so far is "What If Captain Carter Fought the Hydra Stomper?" as it's a sequel to the first Captain Carter episode and basically mixes elements of Captain America: Winter Soldier and Black Widow.

The Christmas episode does give us more Sam Rockwell as Justin Hammer, which is nice.

I haven't watched What If at all but isn't the entirety of the MCU right now just a big "What If?" anyways? Given the time travel and the dimensions and the multiverse this and retcon that where death is trivial, where's the payoff where "what if this other thing happened?"

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

GateOfD posted:

I have seen every DCEU movie. Shazam 2 was mostly generic, with a few flashes of cool and weird poo poo. Aquaman 2 didn't even feel like it was trying to do anything, aside from the VFX teams' contributions.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

BiggerBoat posted:

I haven't watched What If at all but isn't the entirety of the MCU right now just a big "What If?" anyways? Given the time travel and the dimensions and the multiverse this and retcon that where death is trivial, where's the payoff where "what if this other thing happened?"

16 new funko pops per what-if character (Default, Inverse, Zombie, Zombie Neon,..)

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

GateOfD posted:

other than the new Deadpool movie which I still count as the old stuff.

i feel the new x-men stuff are all gonna bomb as usual because too many fingers in the cookie jar.

Its kinda hard to say, for a variety of reasons, Domestic gross vs International, movie budgets being kinda just bullshit, streaming and merchandising being invisible (I think MoS made its budget back entirely through licensing or something like that) etc, etc...

That said, Wikipedia does have a list of highest grossing superhero movies, the first non-marvel movie on the list is #7, which is Incredibles 2. Aquaman is #10.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_superhero_films

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

koolkal posted:

They should try making good movies.

Sounds wild but all the superhero movies released this year ranged from mediocre to bad with the exception of Spiderverse 2, going by the metric of Metacritic critic review scores as well as my own personal ratings.

Critic consensus doesn’t exist in a vacuum tho and neither they nor you are going to be immune to fatigue or malaise from lack of momentum.

IMO if something like Quantimania or Marvels had been released between Infinity War and Endgame and featured whatever mcguffin was important to those movies they’d probably have been reviewed better and made considerably more. Ant-Man and the Wasp definitely wasn’t that much better than its sequel, but it has an 87 RT score and 70 metacritic compared to sub-50s on both and almost 200 million less at the box office for Quantumania.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

One More Fat Nerd posted:

Its kinda hard to say, for a variety of reasons, Domestic gross vs International, movie budgets being kinda just bullshit, streaming and merchandising being invisible (I think MoS made its budget back entirely through licensing or something like that) etc, etc...

That said, Wikipedia does have a list of highest grossing superhero movies, the first non-marvel movie on the list is #7, which is Incredibles 2. Aquaman is #10.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_superhero_films

Yeah IIRC Man of Steel and BvS were turning a profit like a few months before the movies were even out.

Great job with the cape flicks Warner Bros. lmao