Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Eita's rapidly approaching the Shingo position of basically having done everything in the company. All that's really left for him is a big babyface run with the Dream Gate and I don't think that's happening soon given the current direction of things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Eita wasn't on the Sambo Hall card and he doesn't seem to be on the current house show circuit either, so I think he's either taking a break or he's going to NOAH for at least a while. Or maybe he wants a freelancer contract like Doi. Jae did say people were going to be dropping like flies after the Yoshino retirement, and they're really angling toward younger talent now. It does feel like we're still in a transitional period, and they have to usher in that new generation to make it more viable to new audiences once cheer crowds come back. I'd miss Eita in DG, but all the crossover stuff has gotten me to start watching NOAH a bit more often, so I'll still see him.

Shizuoka house shows from the weekend:
9/24 / 9/25

Some really fun Konomama Ichikawa antics on these shows. The Mocchy/Ichikawa rematch on 9/24 was especially cracking me up. I can't believe how consistently funny he still is after all these years.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Not sure if I'll enjoy seeing Eita in NOAH, he might just get lost in the chaos that is the NOAH Jrs. Plus he'll be grouped with NOSAWA who is just excruciating to watch as a wrestler. At least in DG he's main eventer level (when motivated).

Isn't he friends with Despy (see the Numero Uno/Numero Dos connection)? If he's gonna jump ship, it should be New Japan imo.

That said, any favorite Eita match recs? I liked Eita/Kzy for the Dream Gate a lot, and a couple of his Brave Gate matches (babyface Eita was really weird for me to watch, but he can really go). I haven't seen the rest of his RED run prior to Dead Or Alive 2021 yet, though.

Lily Catts fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Sep 26, 2022

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Eita always had great chemistry with Tozawa. Here's a King of Gate match from 2015 with him that's great: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4dv5nv

And speaking of great chemistry, he had an awesome tag team with T-Hawk as part of the Millennials (and later again in ANTIAS). Their tag team was one of the things that first got me into Dragon Gate.

Here's their Twin Gate match at Kobe World 2014 against Shingo and Tozawa: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x44y7e8

Then there's their sick Twin Gate match against Big Ben at DoA 2018. One of the few highlights of ANTIAS: https://dragongate.live/title/?program=comp_BigEventsFeature&episode=15

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
I don't have a link handy, but the 2014 Summer Adventure Tag League final with Millennials vs Jimmyz was fantastic. I was SUCH a stan for Millennials-era Eita, when everyone was talking about T-Hawk.

For singles, yeah, you can't go wrong with Eita/Tozawa. His Dream Gate match vs Doi at Memorial Gate '20 was great too.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
The key thing about Eita is that since coming back from Mexico in 2013, he wanted to go back. In the previous era, he was constantly in the doghouse (take a guess with whom) because he wanted to go play Perro Aguayo Junior more so than anything else in wrestling.

If he’s doing exclusive freelance it’s probably the best thing for all parties. NOAH isn’t like a destination but he gets to do Perros. New Japan doesn’t fit that. GLEAT sure as hell doesn’t fit that.

Unless he wants to fully commit, we’ve played out the string. He’s still one of the real draws in the company (Doi ceased being one years ago, and everyone else whose left is even less of a draw than Doi), so his full departure would hurt. Working mostly in NOAH so he can sleaze it up with friends, touring Mexico a lot, and bigger Dragongate shows should be what people should be hoping for in all honesty.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
TBH I feel like Dragongate could use a few more big name freelancers who float in and out for big matches so it seems like they're a little more connected.

I don't know if NOAH Jrs are the answer to that, but at least some people who are more of a draw than say, Aagan Iisou and The Bodyguard.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Bonk posted:

TBH I feel like Dragongate could use a few more big name freelancers who float in and out for big matches so it seems like they're a little more connected.

I don't know if NOAH Jrs are the answer to that, but at least some people who are more of a draw than say, Aagan Iisou and The Bodyguard.

Prominent freelancers might be the biggest divide between the native fans and the international fans. Native Dragongate fans by and large aren’t wrestling fans. With almost a quarter century of how they promote, it’s not like young women would much awareness of stars outside of big crossover ones. I had a fan who moved to Japan in my DMs a while back and they went through how little the crowd cared about Ultimo appearances, let alone Hijo del Santo.

They will always bring in Masato Tanaka level people for big shows but in a company where the old are being shown the door, why would they bring in an outsider who probably won’t draw to this fan base over pushing a kid or bringing back Toru Owashi, someone the fan base knows of.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Another DG abroad match to catch

https://vk.com/video-4499945_456249518?t=4m13s

Deadlock Pro give us Jack Evans vs SB KENTo vs Shun Skywalker

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
https://twitter.com/ben_k_1019/status/1576464604909408256
Ben-K won the Ryou Championship from Ultra Soki at a Ryukyu Dragon show. Looks good on him.

Also new house shows:
10/1 Yamagata
10/2 Iwate

Bonk fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Oct 3, 2022

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Posted a new video to my Youtube, it's a 10 minute DG primer you can show new fans who want to check it out. Bunch of history in there too, but let me know if you spot any inaccuracies.

My next one's going to be about the roster/units, but I'm going to wait and see if there's a unit shift before I do that, so it might not be until the end of the year - I did a voice take a few weeks ago and it's already outdated. :v:

edit: Here's the 10/3 show. Also, oof. Kagetora has a torn ligament, so with YAMATO in the US for the next couple months, HxE is literally just Dragon Kid now. I wonder if they'll just bite the bullet and break them up at Korakuen.

Bonk fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Oct 4, 2022

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

RIP High End. I’m a big fan of all the members individually, shame it just never gelled together.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Oh drat. Jae, Ho Ho, and Open the Voice Gate have all given me shoutouts & feedback since I posted that primer.

[impostor syndrome increasing]

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Something fun and DG adjacent is coming up next week: the NPH (Puro Hall of Fame) are running a show on Monday from Korakuen, with a fun mix of talent from everywhere. Specifically the main event has Kota Minoura teaming with Kento Miyahara & Shiro Koshinaka against Madoka Kikuta, Yuma Aoyagi & Hideki Suzuki. Ultimo Dragon is also on the show teaming with Sasuke against Koji Kanemoto & Tatsuhito Takaiwa.

I'm hoping it will be on Samurai TV & end up online somewhere because that is such a fun and wacky combination of guys

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

forkboy84 posted:

I'm hoping it will be on Samurai TV & end up online somewhere because that is such a fun and wacky combination of guys
There are two Youku accounts I follow that post basically everything puro and indie, so if it's posted by one of them I'll link it.

10/5 Kanagawa house show is up.

Tonight's Korakuen has 2 matches revealed:

■Tag Match
Ishin Iihashi & Mochizuki Junior vs Ryu Fuda & Kaito Nagano

■Natural Vibes vs Z-Brats 4 Singles Match Series
Kzy, Shimizu, U-T, JFK vs KAI, BxB, HYO, Diamante
*Match pairings will be decided by lottery

They've done this before, where it's several singles matches right after another, and the opponents are randomly paired. There are a few specific pairings I'd like to see, but man, you can't go wrong with pretty much any combination here.

Free match: English / Japanese

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

I liked the All Out War variant they did last year with Masquerade and R.E.D., that was a lot of fun and did a lot to really cement HYO's gimmick from KoG earlier in the year.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Ben-K wearing all the gold this morning

Card:
Gold Class (Ben-K, Kota Minoura & Minorita) vs M3K (Masaaki Mochizuki, Susumu Mochizuki & Yasushi Kanda)
Ishin Iihashi & Mochi Jr vs Kaito Nagano & Ryu Fuda
Fujii, Horiguchi, Ichikawa & Ultimo vs Problem Dragon, Punch, Maria & Yoshifa
Eita & Ho Ho vs Jason & Machine J
Vibes vs Brats 4 singles matches
D'courage & Kikuta vs YAMATO, DK & Kondo

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
I like this version of Gold Class. Minorita was always fun, but the Ben-K/Minoura dynamic works really well.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

This is already like 16 times the character and life coming from Ben than his entire HIGH-END run. Combined

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
God this rookie match is going hard

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
I'm convinced they're trolling Jae at this point with the string of guest commentators who speak no English.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Bonk posted:

I'm convinced they're trolling Jae at this point with the string of guest commentators who speak no English.

The only reason Ho Ho is no longer stuck in the openers.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Oh dang, Yuki & Kiyomiya vs Minoura & Kenoh at the crossover show.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

The GHC Heavyweight champion on a DG show is cool. Love my Supernova

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
I'm a couple months behind on NOAH, I didn't realize Kenoh's reign was so short.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
BxB got TRUCKED

All 4 of these have been really fun. I'm gonna need more U-T in high profile matches.

Bonk fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Oct 6, 2022

BTF
Oct 15, 2019

I love Matt Taven
Fun Korakuen show, with the highlights being the Z-Brats/Vibez match series, the ethering of Ben-K in the rap battle and the really fun rookie tag.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

It never occurred to me as an option, but Ben-K in Gold Class is such a natural fit lol.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

drat, these kids are loving sprinting. Cool rear end match.

EDIT: Oh my god, the reluctant fist bump.

Dimebags Brain fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Oct 6, 2022

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

Dimebags Brain posted:

drat, these kids are loving sprinting. Cool rear end match.

It felt like a DG Future match with an actual ending.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

0/10 Korakuen, no Yoshida on commentary.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Last night's KBS Hall card, and the free match is M3K vs a Do FIXER reunion. :woop:

Minorita/Fuda work great together. Would not mind at all if they became generational rivals in the vein of Junior/Ishin.

DGN subs, note that this show has two audio tracks - one with just the in-house audio, and one with Japanese commentary. It seems like they're doing this regularly for the touring shows now (Kobe Sambo also had one), so I wonder if they'll push to have English commentary on the touring shows eventually too. I imagine they wouldn't have Jae for that though, unless he wants to do it remotely.

10/9 house show
10/10 house show - if you haven't watched this yet, it contains a great spot from Nagano around 10:30:

Bonk fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Oct 11, 2022

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
10/15 Sambo Hall has a partial card already. Jae says they'll be going back to announcing full cards ahead of time when possible - it was a Covid flexibility measure in case someone had to be pulled, but now they're more capable of reliable scheduling.

So far we've got:

① Tag Team Match
Dragon Dia & Madoka Kikuta vs. Mochizuki Junior & Ishin Iihashi

② 6 Man Tag Team Match
Jacky “Funky” Kamei / Ho Ho Lun / Super Shenlong III vs. Takashi Yoshida / Problem Dragon / Punch Tominaga

③ Singles Match
Yuki Yoshioka vs. Kaito Nagano

Very interested in that Yoshioka/Nagano match. They're putting him up against insurmountable odds so far, and the plucky underdog thing is really working for me.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Both the tag and singles match are very intriguing to me.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
https://twitter.com/dragongatentwk/status/1580936420033966080

Oh drat I might have to stay up for this.

Full card
Free match @2am PST/5am EST

Bonk fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Oct 15, 2022

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Good show. Kikuta is now an official member of D'courage(!!!), so it looks like they're finally expanding the unit. If High-End breaks up, I'm guessing that's where Dragon Kid lands.

Turns out that in addition to being really funny on English commentary, Takashi Yoshida is also very good on Japanese commentary. They put him on the 2nd audio stream after the first couple matches, and he was really enthusiastic and calling every move on PbP. He called Nagano's rad corkscrew rana the "Nagano Special" so its officially A Thing now.

Part 2 of the Sambo Hall double show is tonight, headlined by a M3K/KFM Triangle Gate match.
Full card
Free match @11pm PST/2am EST

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Fun weekend of shows.
-Fake Shun's voice was pretty obviously pre-recorded. Real Shun's back in November! :woop:
-BxB Hulk called Ben-K a gorilla, and told him he should have a banana instead of a yellow rose, so Gold Class leaned into it by eating bananas after their match. I want Victory Banana to be a regular thing.
-Takumi Fujiwara is briefly returning for Gate of Destiny & 11/9 Korakuen, then back to Mexico. Not entirely unheard of, Eita did that before.

Gate of Destiny so far (cheering allowed!):
•Dream Gate: Yuki Yoshioka© vs YAMATO
•Brave Gate: (10/15 winner)H•Y•O© vs Dragon Kid
•Eita vs Takuma Fujiwara
•Triangle Gate: (10/16 winner)M3K© vs KAI, Shun Skywalker, and whoever's under the Fake Shun mask

Bonk fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Oct 24, 2022

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

D'Courage vs M3K Rookies and HYO/Jason kicked rear end. Very good Sambo Hall show on those two alone.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Apparently next week AEW will have Matt Sydal & Dante Martin vs SBK & Estrella on one of the Dark shows. If they give that a good amount of time it's going to be a killer match.

Shame they couldn't bring in Shun for something, but I wouldn't expect them to really be able to sell his character in just a Dark match.

edit: 10/22 house show. Not sure why it has that yellow tint.

ACROS Fukuoka matinee/evening double header tonight. We've got FULL CARDS!

Afternoon:
1) Tag: Kzy/SMJ vs KAI/HYO (free)
2) 10-Man: Fujii/Genki/Mondai/Nagano/HHL vs M3K & Ishin
3) Single: Kikuta vs Shimizu
4) Tag: Eita/Yosuke vs BxB/Diamante
5) Trios: U-T/Jason/JFK vs Gold Class
6) Tag: DKid/Kondo vs Yoshioka/Dia

Evening:
1) Tag: Junior/Iihashi vs Fujii/Nagano (free)
2) Trios: U-T/Jason/JFK vs Mondai/Yosuke/HHL
3) Tag: Genki/Kondo vs Ben-K/Minorita
4) Single: Eita vs Minoura
5) Trios: Kzy/Shimizu/SMJ vs Yoshioka/Kikuta/Saito
6) 8-Man: Mocchy/Susumu/Kanda/DKid vs KAI/BxB/HYO/Diamante

Dia hurt his arm during the matinee show, so Ryo Saito replaced him in the evening semi-main. They're saying it seems to be mild, so he should be back in time for Gate of Destiny.

Bonk fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Oct 23, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

yea ok posted:

i will do anything for anyone who can point me to somewhere that i can rewatch old infinities from 2011-12 blood warriors junction 3 feud. dragon gate network only goes back to 2017 and i have been wanting to relive that time in my life . my PM are open

As if the good Lord above heard my calls, some kind soul on XWT is uploading everything from 04-16 (as that's when DG World has easily accessible archives). So far literally everything from 04-10 has been uploaded except for 3 infinities. Just signal boosting as I think it's okay to talk about pirating puro from 12-18 years ago that is not accessible otherwise.