Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth
https://apnews.com/article/salman-rushdie-attacked-9eae99aea82cb0d39628851ecd42227a

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1558131322081648640?s=20&t=fQUIyA5bYD6zr5V6tV9ROg

:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

hideo kojima how could you

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

are his books good

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
god drat

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020

Smythe posted:

god drat

his last words hahahaa

January 6 Survivor
Jan 6, 2022

The
Nelson Mandela
of clapping
dusty old cheeks

( o(
First those frogs at Charlie and now this loser... why are all the annoying free speech weirdos who think they can criticize Islam and the Prophet such weak little cowards?

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

my bony fealty posted:

are his books good

His upcoming novel sounds interesting https://www.amazon.com/Victory-City...ks%2C116&sr=1-1

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
he was good on curb

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020

January 6 Survivor posted:

First those frogs at Charlie and now this loser... why are all the annoying free speech weirdos who think they can criticize Islam and the Prophet such weak little cowards?

I think they’re taking so long announcing the attacker because it’s some redscare new wave Catholic that saw ‘satanic verses’ and snapped.

50/50 though, idk why someone would wait so long to try cashing in on the Iranian fatwa

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

holy poo poo, so was he stabbed for the bounty?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Marzzle posted:

holy poo poo, so was he stabbed for the bounty?

I'd hope not, they aren't that nice

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Cloks posted:

he was good on curb

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth
He’s likely dead. Probably preparing an official announcement

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

furiously drawing pictures of the Prophet

Mesopotamia
Apr 12, 2010

my bony fealty posted:

are his books good

Yeah they are. From its length, expected Satanic Verses to be a massive slog but it's actually a pretty good page turner.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Maya Fey posted:

furiously drawing pictures of the Prophet

where is padma

is she safe

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin
Dont really care one way or the other op

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

Terminal autist posted:

Dont really care one way or the other op

Oh man look at this cool guy here

TheLemonOfIchabod
Aug 26, 2008
midnights children is a good book

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

The Ground Beneath Her Feet was boring to me and I put it down. maybe there are better ones.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Salman Kushdie and he's smoking that kush

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

mawarannahr posted:

The Ground Beneath Her Feet was boring to me and I put it down. maybe there are better ones.

is it about having giant ladies stomp on your balls?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Egg Moron posted:

is it about having giant ladies stomp on your balls?

here’s what it’s about.

quote:

The book, while at its core detailing the love of two men, Ormus Cama and Umeed "Rai" Merchant (the narrator of the story), for the same woman, Vina Apsara, provides a background and alternate history to the entire 1950s–1990s period of the growth of rock music. Defined by Toni Morrison as "a global novel", the book sets itself in the wide frame of Western and post-colonial culture, through the multilingualism of its characters, the mixture of East and West and the great number of references that span from Greek mythology, European philosophy and contemporaries such as Milan Kundera and the stars of rock'n roll.

The title is taken from a song in the novel, composed by Ormus Cama after Vina's death. The lyrics to the song, with minor changes, were adapted and recorded by U2. The song was used in the 2000 film The Million Dollar Hotel, and the promotional music video featured Rushdie in a cameo appearance. Rushdie re-introduces characters from his previous novels, including Homi Catrack and William Methwold from Midnight's Children (1981), S.S. Sisodia from The Satanic Verses (1988), and Aurora Zogoiby from The Moor's Last Sigh (1995), as well as settings such as Warden Road and Everest Villas.

The novel is set in a parallel universe, as revealed in the second half of the book. Thus, there are several historic events that are altered in the setting of the novel. In the novel, American president John F. Kennedy survives the Dallas assassination but is shot alongside his brother Robert F. Kennedy later on; the Watergate scandal is represented as a novel starring a fictional president Richard Nixon. Rushdie also deliberately miscredits some classic rock songs, such as The Rolling Stones' "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction", which he credits to John Lennon, or Roy Orbison's "Pretty Woman", which he credits to The Kinks. The character named Jesse Garon Parker represents Elvis Presley in every way, while The Who are presented under their original name The High Numbers. In his description of the contribution of Vina's voice to the duet, he compares that of Guinevere Garfunkel to Carly Simon's Bridge over Troubled Waters, where the names of the singers hint at Art Garfunkel and Paul Simon.

January 6 Survivor
Jan 6, 2022

The
Nelson Mandela
of clapping
dusty old cheeks

( o(
So not only did he disrespect Allah but he was also into dad rock? death might be too kind for this kuffar

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

They've already determined that the assailant is sympathetic to the Iranian regime and Revolutionary Guard. :nsallears:

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

honestly man, why you gotta be a prick about the prophet?

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

do you think iran got anne heche too

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

Gleichheit soll gedeihen

lobster shirt posted:

do you think iran got anne heche too

no

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

https://twitter.com/carina_bn/status/85067606909927425

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Egg Moron posted:

honestly man, why you gotta be a prick about the prophet?

idk man if people put a hit out every time someone makes fun of you it kinda gives the impression that you're a fragile little bitch.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
the fact that a guy whose name is Rush Die lived this long with a hit out on him is pretty impressive. wild stuff

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Casey Finnigan posted:

the fact that a guy whose name is Rush Die lived this long with a hit out on him is pretty impressive. wild stuff

Limbaugh is dead so that's his life's purpose fulfilled

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Salman? Rush, die

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

https://twitter.com/semiopath/status/1558208837412339716

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
https://twitter.com/joumana_khatib/status/1558228952736579585

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

gently caress

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
isn't salman a cocksman

like doesn't he gently caress a whole bunch

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

stabber went and made him look like the Dajjal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Lol what, no idea anyone was still after this guy