Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Peggy Edson posted:

I've tried making homemade pizza a bunch of times. The best I can say is that turns out... fine. The crust never seems to have a lot of flavor and it's neither crispy or soft, just somewhere inbetween. I have a baking stone and bake on the highest temp my oven will go but it's never any better. I've heard of baking steel, does that really make a huge difference in crust quality?

For toppings, the cheese doesn't have the same tang as a restaurant pizza and I've used shredded whole milk mozzarella. I've heard whole block mozzarella that you shred fresh is better for this but grocery stores don't carry it around me.

What's the secret, pizza goons?

Really depends on what kind of pizza you are trying to make, but anything Brian Lagerstrom does will work. He's great and if you search "pizza" there's a bunch of options.

The one thing I would add that he does not do is just putting the dough on a sheet of parchment paper rather than trusting the cornmeal or whatever will keep it off of the peel. Parchment works great and you can pull it out as you rotate the pizza if you want, and most importantly, totally removes the moment when you might gently caress up your entire pizza when sliding it off the peel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Smugworth posted:

Have you tried totinos op

There really is no substitute. It's designed to fit in a toaster oven. How do you beat that??

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

drat there are some good fuckin' tips itt, thank you goons.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Goons by and large are fat pieces of poo poo who love to eat and more than a handful of us enjoy cooking nearly as much if not more than microwaving a colon-melting beefy bean n' cheez burrito.

I was for example a pro chef for a long while but I'll also microwave equal parts hormel beanless chili and velveeta and eat until I poo poo my pants next to a truck

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo

Glottis posted:

The one thing I would add that he does not do is just putting the dough on a sheet of parchment paper rather than trusting the cornmeal or whatever will keep it off of the peel. Parchment works great and you can pull it out as you rotate the pizza if you want, and most importantly, totally removes the moment when you might gently caress up your entire pizza when sliding it off the peel.

i used to use a sheet of parchment paper, but semolina flour works wonders and makes for a better crust imo. corn meal impacted the flavor when used in sufficient quantities.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

a couple more pizza tips:

you may want to add a pinch or so of extra salt to the sauce you put on the dough, especially if you're using generic marinara sauce and not something specifically made for pizza. marina sauce is pretty salty already but since you're using such a thin layer of it, it may not be enough to bring out the flavor without that extra pinch.

my local deli doesn't shred cheese for you and i don't have a machine shredder. so if i'm really lazy or time crunched, i'll buy the thinnest sliced mozzarella from the deli instead of a block and just lay the slices out on the pizza instead of hand shredding it. you can tear pieces from a slice to fill in gaps, but it doesn't need to be perfect because it will melt together and fill in just fine. this method will taste just as good, but the cheese may have a little less of that stringy pull to it when you bite into it.

i spread my dough by hand on parchment (from a no-knead recipe), and spread some olive oil under the dough to stop it from tearing when i spread it. when the pizza cooks, the olive oil helps it gets nice and crisp without burning. also it tastes great as you'd expect because, well, it's olive oil toasted on crispy bread. i don't know if this works for other kinds of dough, but i assume so.

toppings - for homemade pizza, cut veggies very thin and you'll probably be fine. sliced onion and tomato are my favorites, and of course minced garlic. but anything thin should cook well in a few minutes at ~500 F. i don't recommend mushrooms unless they're very dry or precooked. i don't do meat, but i assume the same rules about thin slices apply to get it crispy.

if you do decide to use parchment, buy some pre-cut sheets that are about the same size as your pizza steel/stone. that way you have a good size guide to assemble the pizza on while the steel is heating up in the oven.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
You don't need to shred da cheese, just chop it off the block - it'll melt all the same :)

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Silhouette posted:

don't use all mozzarella, it's bland by itself

use a blend of 25% cheddar, 25% colby and 50% mozzarella

I like to mix in provolone, it adds a great bite

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I like to mix in provolone, it adds a great bite

You gotta hit it with the PROVEL if you're feeling especially Midwestern American:

Lazy Fair
Sep 23, 2019
there are some foods that are all about the quality of the ingredients, if you don't have high quality ingredients even the best chef can't make it any good.

pizza is not one of those foods. pizza is all about the technique of the person making it.

not to say ingredient quality doesn't matter at all. for example there's a huge difference in flavor between a quality san marzano canned tomato and a can of hunt's tomatoes... but a next level pizza maker can make incredible pizza out of completely mundane ingredients, while otherwise talented chefs frequently make mediocre pizza out of great ingredients.

this is why all the best pizza comes out of places run by some guy who's done nothing but make pizza every day for the last 40 years, and why your home pizza is always disappointing even though you bought that fancy cheese or whatever to put on it.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

i keep a little italian man under the sink and tell him I'll let him go after he makes me 1,000 pizzas

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
Good dough

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-jPoROGHGE

Pizza stone/pizza iron also brought immense benefits.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Glottis posted:

Really depends on what kind of pizza you are trying to make, but anything Brian Lagerstrom does will work. He's great and if you search "pizza" there's a bunch of options.

Lol. The pizza that made me post this thread was Brian's Chicago style thin crust. But still thanks all for the great tips itt. Lots of stuff to try now.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Before I got an oven that could get hot enough I was making this one:

https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/now-or-later-pizza-crust-recipe

You pre-bake the crust, then put the toppings on right away and finish baking, or save the crust for later.

Rhadamanthus
Dec 12, 2004

I roll a lotta sushi, roll 'em fat like John Belushi; call me Desi Arnaz, dogg, I love the Lucy.
Pizza stones are bullshit, they don't conduct well enough to transfer the appropriate amount of energy to the pizza.

Use a cast iron pizza pan, then transfer to a crisper pan once it's out of the oven so the moisture can leave the bottom of the pizza.

Moisture management is big if you want a good, crispy crust.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Actually idiot you just put the loving pizza pocket into the crisp and carry sleeve to get a crispy crust

Bozo

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Hot pockets have been lapped, it's outdated junk; get with the new hotness, stouffer's bistro crustini.

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012
Everyone in this thread is lying to you OP, the secret to good pizza is actually raw natural talent, It's all about genetics, sorry.

You can wear the same sneakers as Usain Bolt and do the same training as Usain Bolt but you will never run as fast as Usain Bolt.

Now replace Usain Bolt with Papa John Schnatter and you get the idea.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

use basil you loving rear end in a top hat

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
I'm pretty sure I could eat an unlimited amount of bagel bites. I know I can eat a disgusting amount, at least 36, but I could probably take down a whole 72 count box in about as long as it took to cook them

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

i made za

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
A lil burnt but E for effort

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Colonel Cancer posted:

A lil burnt but E for effort

wrong

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

It’s a little burnt, but I like it a little burnt

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

When i home make pizza dough i do 2/3 flour and 1/3 sesame seeds.

Its good

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Extra Large Marge posted:

Before I got an oven that could get hot enough I was making this one:

https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/now-or-later-pizza-crust-recipe

You pre-bake the crust, then put the toppings on right away and finish baking, or save the crust for later.

This is a great tip for most people who want to make their homemade pizza immediately better without lots of effort. I’ve been prebaking crusts for a minute or two before I top it at home for a decade. You even up with a much crispier crust than you would otherwise in a residential oven.

We recently moved and I finally have a nice oven so that might change.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
I've been to Rome
And Chichen Itza
But when I'm home
I make a the pizza

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
season the dough and work on the sauce. the sauce i think is the main flavor profile.

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
yes and always prebake the crust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Please feed your dogs