Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind

Lycoris Recoil is a girls-with-guns action anime about Takina Inoue (long dark hair on the left) and Chisato Nishikigi (center), two girls raised by the organization "Lycoris" to be secret anti-terrorist state assassins. But where serious Takina is driven by a strong sense of purpose (and maybe just a bit of bloodthirst), playful Chisato has a total aversion to killing that defies her nigh-supernatural talent at gunplay and prefers to goof around as a staffer of the Café they use as a front for their operations.

It's a very well executed show on a technical level, with colourful, expressive character animation, great fight choreography, powerful fashion design, a delightful dynamic between its leads in part carried by Chika Anzai's fantastic vocal performance as Chisato, and a kind of hinky plot with an awkward grasp on the themes it touches on that I don't always feel great about. But of course, the real reason LycoReco is great is that it animated a whole legion of fanartists to draw cute pictures shipping the main duo, which is really what we're here for
https://twitter.com/Farat_irasut/status/1550812983839817728
https://twitter.com/kanariabe/status/1548285708410191872
https://twitter.com/K_Kohjima/status/1550914173483520000
https://twitter.com/yurakubo/status/1551423426577203200

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Show rules.
Japan is Safe.
Move along, citizen.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I was pretty hesitant to actually watch this show because I thought it was going to be like Gunslinger Girl or Noir or any number of other bad girls with guns anime, but the actual show does seem to have an inkling that yes the premise is both weird for anime reasons and weird for rational reasons, so my consternation was probably a lot of hot air

Granted that's only my impression after watching the first episode, but still

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Chisato is very wholesome and makes everyone around her into a better person.

Jomo
Jul 11, 2009

OnimaruXLR posted:

I was pretty hesitant to actually watch this show because I thought it was going to be like Gunslinger Girl or Noir or any number of other bad girls with guns anime, but the actual show does seem to have an inkling that yes the premise is both weird for anime reasons and weird for rational reasons, so my consternation was probably a lot of hot air

Granted that's only my impression after watching the first episode, but still

As someone who use to own the first Gunslinger Girl dvd, and then promptly threw it out last year while moving house because I came to the realisation it's terrible (imo), I feel LycoRyco manages to walk the Cute Girls With Guns tightrope quite well (ep 7 so far) without falling into the same pitfalls that previous series do. It's not perfect, the villains plot-line is still underdeveloped, however the fact that it's given each character space to develop themselves so far has been a real big bonus for me.

This, alongside Call of the Night, have been the top two surprises this season in a sea of mid-level originals and sequels. Recommend from me.

Also...yea, even the production staff are full steam on the Chisato x Takina ship in the most wholesome way.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

it's a really strong show episode to episode, just a ton of fun scenes and details

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
I've seen some very sweet yuri gifs from this anime that made me really want to watch it even though I couldn't care less about the premise. Don't hold a gun, hold each others hands!

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Cephas posted:

I've seen some very sweet yuri gifs from this anime that made me really want to watch it even though I couldn't care less about the premise. Don't hold a gun, hold each others hands!

That's more or less what Chisato is trying to get Takina to do.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Thread title should be tactical Sweets Action

Chisato and Takina had some big time outfits in the latest episode!

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyle/rjs-licorice-recalled-after-using-lead-contaminated-sugar/EGCEB7U7KEJI4XMCCMG2SRNR3E/

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Yo this anim owns

marumaru
May 20, 2013

lol

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Not empty quoting.

There exists no human more terrifying at RPS than Chisato.

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
I'm really really struggling to start this show even though many people have told me it's good, because it's just such an aggressively anime-dumb concept. Why have adults do literally anything when you could have a high schooler do it?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Exactly

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

A jargogle posted:

I'm really really struggling to start this show even though many people have told me it's good, because it's just such an aggressively anime-dumb concept. Why have adults do literally anything when you could have a high schooler do it?

I mean, the show itself seems entirely aware that there's something screwy about a country where the law is enforced by an ancient cult of child soldiers.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Indoctrinated child soldiers as tools of the government, a concept that is exclusive to anime

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

denying children the ability to grow up and have a childhood so that they can more quickly become agents of state violence? anime nonsense

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

jokes aside, please watch this show. it owns

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

studio mujahideen posted:

this. it's my anime of the year unless the second half is entirely about the green haired joker guy.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Big Leg posted:

this. it's my anime of the year unless the second half is entirely about the green haired joker guy.

Why so serious?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Majima and Robota are clearly going to have a quirky romcom character arc to mirror Chisato and Takina.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i thinkt he second half is going to be entirely about the joker

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Endorph posted:

life can be so cruel sometimes

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

studio mujahideen posted:

:hmmyes:

Endorph posted:

When those two meet again the world might end.

Exia
Feb 12, 2014
This week we have a good ol fashion “Save the Cafe!” episode and absolutely nothing else happens!

fuuucck that cliffhanger! what are they gonna do to Chisato, why was her heart GLOWING!!

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Takina making a safety warning system for her girlfriend!

Also related https://twitter.com/toumake/status/1561013368500080641

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnun8y7r8_U

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

This week's episode was really fun and made me actually care about the story for a change. Majima and Chisato hanging out finally made me interested in the plot and the "villain", so I hope he and Chisato end up being friendly rivals if not buds that hang out and watch Die Hard.

Like I said in the seasonal thread I wish there was any sort of explanation for all the random terrorism that requires an entire corps of high school fixers. I get there's a mysterious main plot, but even apart from that they make it seem like dealing with bombs and poo poo is just a part of daily life in Japan now. If it was just crime then yeah I'd buy it, but terrorism needs some kind of motivation or ideology and there hasn't been any of that to speak of. It doesn't even need to be a good one! But a flimsy reason would be better than nothing.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Alan Foundation sure feels like it's Shocker but with a better PR department

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Coxswain Balls posted:

This week's episode was really fun and made me actually care about the story for a change. Majima and Chisato hanging out finally made me interested in the plot and the "villain", so I hope he and Chisato end up being friendly rivals if not buds that hang out and watch Die Hard.

Like I said in the seasonal thread I wish there was any sort of explanation for all the random terrorism that requires an entire corps of high school fixers. I get there's a mysterious main plot, but even apart from that they make it seem like dealing with bombs and poo poo is just a part of daily life in Japan now. If it was just crime then yeah I'd buy it, but terrorism needs some kind of motivation or ideology and there hasn't been any of that to speak of. It doesn't even need to be a good one! But a flimsy reason would be better than nothing.

Most of their actual day-to-day work seems to be cleaning up after the yakuza (see also, the restaurant bombing they were using hardball negotiating tactics on). It's not specified why the DA only works to lightly trim organised crime rather than eliminating it altogether, but there's quite a lot of potential reasons why they might see it as being outside their remit (especially since they're just not an especially moral organisation).

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Darth Walrus posted:

Most of their actual day-to-day work seems to be cleaning up after the yakuza (see also, the restaurant bombing they were using hardball negotiating tactics on). It's not specified why the DA only works to lightly trim organised crime rather than eliminating it altogether, but there's quite a lot of potential reasons why they might see it as being outside their remit (especially since they're just not an especially moral organisation).

I got the feeling that was mostly the cafe crew's daily grind, which is fairly different from the standard lycoris jobs. Takina was surprised when she discovered that Chisato was on speaking terms with the local yakuza.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I got the feeling that was mostly the cafe crew's daily grind, which is fairly different from the standard lycoris jobs. Takina was surprised when she discovered that Chisato was on speaking terms with the local yakuza.

Mind you, that could also just be part of LycoReco having a very different approach to the same problems. Not like the average Lycoris does much talking with their typical targets.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Yeah the entire point of the DA Lycoris program is "No one expects a schoolgirl to be an assassin, it's the ultimate urban camouflage!" which would be completely negated if they regularly interacted with the underworld. (It all went to poo poo pretty much immediately when Majima found out who the Lycorises were)

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

All of the costume design is so good, I love that stretch in the op that shows them in a bunch of different regular fashions.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The show has some really good fashion and it really helps add to the characters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
This show owns, but I'm definitely glad I went in blind when it first popped up on Crunchyroll, I imagine if I knew the premise before going in I would be like a lot of other people turned off by the premise instead of just being blindsided by the assassination montage.