Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Exia
Feb 12, 2014
New Key Visual released
https://twitter.com/lycoris_recoil/status/1562092729903239169?s=20&t=Ktth3MwEP0XP4QAyuoTnXw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Robota looking vastly more chill in that image than he's ever been in the show.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

This series is fun and technically impressive, but the way it's handled its core premise and plotline hasn't worked for me. It's like they had concepts for two shows, one where it's a cute Girls und Panzer-type show and another which was more like "Ghost in the Shell: High School edition" and tried to split the difference in a way that's a detriment to both concepts.

I know there was an interview where one of the creators said they'd originally designed the show to have a more serious tone that they couldn't make work, but then the final product still starts the show with that very serious sizzle reel of the Lycoris disappearing and murdering random people in broad daylight, priming you to take the premise and its implications seriously before almost immediately chucking that overboard so Chisato and Takina have have feel-good fun in the cafe. Then almost every action scene after that opening - while visually exciting and technically impressive - doesn't really have the weight or tension you'd expect.

The show seems so aggressively disinterested in examining the obvious questions that the premise implies that I wonder why they didn't just go full GuP and scrap the part of the show where they're actually assassins because so far I feel like the stuff the show cares about the most doesn't require the premise they went with and tonally the show would feel a lot more cohesive if I wasn't sitting there in every scene wondering if these characters have more kills than years lived and why that doesn't seem to weigh on them at all. The show opens with Takina mulching like half a dozen dudes with an LMG and the biggest mental struggle she has with it is her dismay that she got kicked out of DA and her dorm, and that her classmates don't think she's cool anymore. Hell, the show's first big-stakes job (saving the hacker) actively undermines the tension of the 'to kill or not to kill' conflict between Chisato and Takina with how they resolve the job.

There's a lot to really like, the production quality is top-notch, the characters are fun (Chisato's basically what you'd get if you shoved Chika Fujiwara and Mokoto Kusanagi into the machine from The Fly and her VA sells it wonderfully), they have great chemistry, and pretty much every scene is well written and shot. It just feels like some of the major tentpoles (the setting and premise) of the series are a bit of a mess and it causes the rest of the show to sag around them.

Maybe the show just got unlucky to come out the same year as a different action series about hyper-competent high-school girls who are probably gay for each other that so far has more effectively utilized its setting and premise in both the action and character moments. Birdie Wing

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I just think it’s neat

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

https://twitter.com/crimsonvita/status/1561565013462380544?t=-Pj08iNRAAg65dQKqlCHTA&s=19
https://twitter.com/harrison_fjord/status/1562237251962257408?t=BxAIxJkDWLg_IA7XiX2_Bw&s=19

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

All hail the poop parfait.

Exia
Feb 12, 2014
Official Trailer for the English Dub uploaded on Aniplex’s channel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUsIvVsd1oU

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Exia posted:

I look forward to hearing how they handle the Japanese lesson from last episode (nice choke).

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Exia posted:

"Life counseling" :lmao:

Exia
Feb 12, 2014
This week, Takina finally gains the courage to go on a date with her girlfriend

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind
I really like the Mika & Mr. Yoshi stuff, it's surprisingly low-key and well executed.

"It's a gun for helping people!" made me laugh for all the wrong reasons tho

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Majima kidnapping Shinji is interesting because it's hard to tell whether it's good news or bad news for our protagonists. The former is a very bad person, yes, but it's no longer obvious that he's actually their enemy.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

You know for a show where they could easily just use either DA uniforms or the Cafe uniforms as the main outfits for the cast they really do go the extra mile in using unique clothes.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

I have a veeeeery bad feeling about the outcome of Chisato's situation and the end of the series. Takina dies but they transplant her heart to save Chisato, so she'll always be able to hear Takina's heartbeat.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Takina not pulling her hair up over her scarf bothered me more than it should have.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Kvantum posted:

I have a veeeeery bad feeling about the outcome of Chisato's situation and the end of the series. Takina dies but they transplant her heart to save Chisato, so she'll always be able to hear Takina's heartbeat.

I could see it.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Kvantum posted:

ah, angel beats

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Namtab posted:

ah, angel beats

Yeah, I could be wrong, but I don't think this show is quite as Jun Maeda as that (and not just because, unlike Angel Beats, it isn't actually written by Jun Maeda).

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Jun Maeda my business

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Eh while I can see a twist like that is possible I think this episode makes Either Takina or Chisato dying less likely as it really signals that type of ending too much and the show does like to not do what is obvious. Plus also I doubt were going to get everything with the Allan foundation (shocker) resolved so we'll need a sequel and it feels like it'd be crazy to do a sequel without the main pair. Now Mika OTOH I could see dying

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Funny thought - maybe Majima of all people ends up as the heart donor? He and Chisato have started to develop a strange sort of bond, and there's hints that he's what she might have ended up as if she'd become a pawn of the Alan Foundation (and that he's carrying a great deal of righteous anger about it). Maybe he'll end up giving someone the future he lost his chance at?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the interview where they say it was originally darker and then they changed it kinda precludes any 'one of them dies' imo, and it wouldnt really work tonally. i like the mix of serious and goofy stuff, but that mix existing means that an ending that veers too hard into bittersweet or serious would feel off.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
can't tell if i'm overthinking or underthinking it, but i just assumed that it was a power play by the foundation and they were gonna swoop in with a replacement/improved artificial heart to offer to Chisato on condition that she Fulfills Her Destiny, and that's what's in the briefcase that Yoshi keeps looking it in the end scene.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
i liked the ribbon imagery in the eyecatches this week.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Endorph posted:

the interview where they say it was originally darker and then they changed it kinda precludes any 'one of them dies' imo, and it wouldnt really work tonally. i like the mix of serious and goofy stuff, but that mix existing means that an ending that veers too hard into bittersweet or serious would feel off.

agreed, i think this is about as somber an episode as we're gonna get

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Also if Chisato or Takina was going to did cause of Chisato's heart I don't think we'd be given the 2 months plot line. They'd do it in the last episode as a shock. This is clearly set up as a trial for Chisato and Takina to overcome

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/vestenet/status/1563609616642371584

lamo

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Chisato dying would be a real miscarriage

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

ATP_Power posted:

The show seems so aggressively disinterested in examining the obvious questions that the premise implies that I wonder why they didn't just go full GuP and scrap the part of the show where they're actually assassins because so far I feel like the stuff the show cares about the most doesn't require the premise they went with and tonally the show would feel a lot more cohesive if I wasn't sitting there in every scene wondering if these characters have more kills than years lived and why that doesn't seem to weigh on them at all. The show opens with Takina mulching like half a dozen dudes with an LMG and the biggest mental struggle she has with it is her dismay that she got kicked out of DA and her dorm, and that her classmates don't think she's cool anymore. Hell, the show's first big-stakes job (saving the hacker) actively undermines the tension of the 'to kill or not to kill' conflict between Chisato and Takina with how they resolve the job.

I'm not sure what you are talking about, the show to me is pretty obviously about engaging with that premise. Sure, the focus is more on her destiny as the perfect Lycoris clashing with her desire to be her own person, but the whole show constantly engage on how messed up the situation is and how Lycoreco is her haven of peace that tries very hard to go against the grain of a much darker world.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Takina not pulling her hair up over her scarf bothered me more than it should have.

She's the one who had to ask what kind of underwear to wear so she probably doesn't know how to wear a scarf, or anything other than the DA uniform for that matter.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I mean she was wearing a summer outfit in Winter as it was her only clothes outside of DA/Cafe uniform

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Hey, does anyone get the impression that these war orphans raised to become assassins aren't very well rounded people?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I think that Chisato is unusually well adjusted given the circumstances.

Or she's masterful at faking it

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

I'm guessing that she got kicked out of DA to LycoReco shortly after the Radio Tower Incident, where she (presumably) first went non-lethal. So she's had what, ten years or so out on her own learning how to be a person as opposed to Takina only having a few months. In fact since she was seven at the time of the Radio Tower, she's actually spent more of her life doing that than she did having Lycoris training and indoctriation.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
More to the point, she's had Mika as her dad ever since her surgery, and he seems to have taken deprogramming her extremely seriously.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
I've caught up with this series and I do like it but I'm so confused about whether Lycoris is supposed to be a secret organisation or not. Because all the cover ups of terrorist attacks suggest it is, but on the other hand every character we've met knows what a Lycoris is and also people call the cafe to get them to do jobs.

Also the show better end with Chisato living happily ever after with Takina who she is married to and they run the cafe together and they adopt a dog

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Most of the supporting cast are pretty special themselves, and presumably the random people they do mercenary work for just think they're teen mercenaries, a very common thing in anime.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
This is pretty fun! I wasn't sure if I'd watch anything from this season, but I gave it a shot and was rewarded.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
This episode proves more than ever that they absolutely took cues from Nolan's Joker for Majima.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Arkeus posted:

I'm not sure what you are talking about, the show to me is pretty obviously about engaging with that premise. Sure, the focus is more on her destiny as the perfect Lycoris clashing with her desire to be her own person, but the whole show constantly engage on how messed up the situation is and how Lycoreco is her haven of peace that tries very hard to go against the grain of a much darker world.

I don't think it does that much and I like this show a lot. Only character positioned to think this whole thing is messed up is the villain. Our protagonists do their own thing in their own way but they're still operating and enabled by the very system that, essentially, is a secret police. We, the audience, see what they do to the children and think it's messed up but there isn't any implicit or explicit stance from the show or characters in it. Not in spoken dialogue or imagery. I wish the characters weren't so passive and had some eureka moments about the whole thing. Maybe they'll at least poke holes in the setting in the remaining episodes and maybe have a protagonist character think having children soldiers committing extrajudicial killings is kinda messed up.

Sure, i can say "the safety and prosperity they so enjoy comes at the cost the complete dissolution of their civil liberties and the future generation (because it's maintained by young boys and girls)" but there isn't anything in the direction that hints at that. No contrasting shots or editing, or (lazy) VO. They rely on our own emotional baggage to fill in the gaps left by the direction and writing.