Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I just don’t think it’s that kind of show. The lycoris stuff is fairly shallow set dressing for the core conflict of whether chisato is squandering her talents or not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

They could explore the fact that the system is incredibly hosed up and implies a very totalitarian criminal justice system but that’s not what this show is about, and that’s ok.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
the main characters turning toward the audience: it is wrong to do sick rear end stunts while holding a gun

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
i dunno, i mean in this episode we have the commander yelling that of course it's morally correct to have a supra-governmental murder corps of indoctrinated orphans because might makes right, then majima looks directly into the camera and says 'what, you thought we uniquely don't have violence and terrorism because japan's just better? japanese people are more moral? lol. there's an unaccountable cabal orchestrating everything from the shadows, your democratic government's a lie!', and then a cop murders an innocent man because he got scared and felt threatened.

it's not the main focus of the show, and i've no idea if they'll have any useful commentary on it in the end, but it's not like it's being entirely ignored?

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Apraxin posted:

i dunno, i mean in this episode we have the commander yelling that of course it's morally correct to have a supra-governmental murder corps of indoctrinated orphans because might makes right, then majima looks directly into the camera and says 'what, you thought we uniquely don't have violence and terrorism because japan's just better? japanese people are more moral? lol. there's an unaccountable cabal orchestrating everything from the shadows, your democratic government's a lie!', and then a cop murders an innocent man because he got scared and felt threatened.

it's not the main focus of the show, and i've no idea if they'll have any useful commentary on it in the end, but it's not like it's being entirely ignored?

Is that what happened because from what I saw the guy waving the gun starts to slip and fall and you can see before it cuts away that he’s now aiming it towards himself. I think the implication is that the guy accidentally killed himself. I mean, I could be wrong and would have to watch it again to make sure, but I didn’t get that the cop shot him. I don’t think the show wants to go that far but I could be wrong.

Exia
Feb 12, 2014
The cop absolutely shot him, the point of that scene is that the police are completely unprepared to deal with actual problems and when the dude slipped and made a sudden movement, the cop panicked and shot the man.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

The Black Stones posted:

Is that what happened because from what I saw the guy waving the gun starts to slip and fall and you can see before it cuts away that he’s now aiming it towards himself. I think the implication is that the guy accidentally killed himself. I mean, I could be wrong and would have to watch it again to make sure, but I didn’t get that the cop shot him. I don’t think the show wants to go that far but I could be wrong.
Open to being wrong, with animation perspective and all, but to me it looked like:

- cop is scared out of his mind just seeing the guy holding the gun he found with a puzzled look, his arm is shaking as he points his service weapon at him
- guy tries to comply with shouted instructions but trips, falling back onto the bench with the gun pointing well clear of his own head but in the cop's direction
- gunshot, cut to blood pooling over the guy's phone

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

americans can only process political commentary if its a character turning to the camera and telling you something is bad

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Endorph posted:

americans can only process political commentary if its a character turning to the camera and telling you something is bad

I mean that literally happened in this episode a couple of times but it's still too nuanced I guess.

I didn't really like this episode to be honest. The action bits just felt like more setting up for the finale and the scene between Mika and Chisato fell a bit flat because it wasn't really a revelation to the viewer.

I did like Takina going rogue though.

a pipe smoking dog fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Sep 5, 2022

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

the new epidose was good, now that ive watched it

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I definitely think that we're supposed to sympathise with Majima more than the average wannabe-Joker, if only because he's so strongly motivated by righteous outrage at being turned into a living weapon. Shinji talking about how he's still an excellent Alan Child bit deep.

Gahmah
Nov 4, 2009
Majima's plan of ONE THOUSAND GUNS strewn about the city certainly doesn't strike fear into my Texas damaged brain.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Darth Walrus posted:

I definitely think that we're supposed to sympathise with Majima more than the average wannabe-Joker, if only because he's so strongly motivated by righteous outrage at being turned into a living weapon. Shinji talking about how he's still an excellent Alan Child bit deep.

Like any good villain, he is right, but his methods and end vision are where he is wrong.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Yawgmoft posted:

Like any good villain, he is right, but his methods and end vision are where he is wrong.

Right, but even that seems to be because the poor sod's still trapped in the role he was groomed into from childhood.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
To me, it sounded like he's trying to rebel against the system, only to find out he's still considered in scope.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Yawgmoft posted:

To me, it sounded like he's trying to rebel against the system, only to find out he's still considered in scope.

Though that's precisely because the Alan Institute nurtured him as a prodigy of terrorism. The more mayhem he causes, the more he's playing into their weird culty bullshit.

Exia
Feb 12, 2014
Every week I love this show more and more, there’s only two episodes left so I can’t wait to see how this all ends.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Jimbot posted:

I don't think it does that much and I like this show a lot. Only character positioned to think this whole thing is messed up is the villain. Our protagonists do their own thing in their own way but they're still operating and enabled by the very system that, essentially, is a secret police. We, the audience, see what they do to the children and think it's messed up but there isn't any implicit or explicit stance from the show or characters in it. Not in spoken dialogue or imagery. I wish the characters weren't so passive and had some eureka moments about the whole thing. Maybe they'll at least poke holes in the setting in the remaining episodes and maybe have a protagonist character think having children soldiers committing extrajudicial killings is kinda messed up.

But... chisato basically wink at the camera multiple times and say "the Lycoris are hosed up and Takana should learn how the world actually is". She isn't being subtle about it. Mika and Yoshi being a divorced couple fighting about whether it's good or not to make their own kid a child soldier isn't subtle either.

It's kinda... I don't know man, how in your face do you want it to be.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
drat @ Takina busting in like the Kool Aid man

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Computer ENHANCE!

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Majima's ability makes total sense as a series bad guy and I'm disappointed I didn't think of it before but it pales compared to Takina's power of loving Chisato

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Arkeus posted:

But... chisato basically wink at the camera multiple times and say "the Lycoris are hosed up and Takana should learn how the world actually is". She isn't being subtle about it. Mika and Yoshi being a divorced couple fighting about whether it's good or not to make their own kid a child soldier isn't subtle either.

It's kinda... I don't know man, how in your face do you want it to be.

Americans won’t understand unless all the action stops and the character just says that thing

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Namtab posted:

Americans won’t understand unless all the action stops and the character just says that thing

Oh please.

Even that's not enough. Squid Games ended in a quiet room where the main character practically screamed the point at a dead body and people didn't get it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It is amazing to me how at every turn DA has been incompetent and owned, the biggest stretch of the imagination to me is that they'd be able to keep their fascist police state under wraps for more than a day prior to Majima.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
It is pretty funny that their super secret assassins all wear the same uniform at all times.

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013

Sindai posted:

It is pretty funny that their super secret assassins all wear the same uniform at all times.

If you didn't know about the Lycoris thing you'd think it was just a private school uniform.

Man, isn't it nice just how Takina's turning into Chisato's perfect lil' action hero girlfriend.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

It is amazing to me how at every turn DA has been incompetent and owned, the biggest stretch of the imagination to me is that they'd be able to keep their fascist police state under wraps for more than a day prior to Majima.

I think we should give Robota some credit here. He may be a cocky jackass, but he's genuinely good enough to strip away the information warfare tools that are their greatest weapon. That's what they're really floundering around without.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

RangerKarl posted:

If you didn't know about the Lycoris thing you'd think it was just a private school uniform.
Yeah, and you would think they would train their agents to some extent in all the information control that lets them exist. Like instead of shooting at the random guy with a gun in the last episode if the girl had put up her hands and denied the whole thing saying it is just a private school uniform and she has no idea what the joker is going on about then the cover story would have held just fine long enough for the information warfare tools to come back into play and say it was staged actors or CG or any of the other bullshit excuses that always pass in anime.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Indiana_Krom posted:

Yeah, and you would think they would train their agents to some extent in all the information control that lets them exist. Like instead of shooting at the random guy with a gun in the last episode if the girl had put up her hands and denied the whole thing saying it is just a private school uniform and she has no idea what the joker is going on about then the cover story would have held just fine long enough for the information warfare tools to come back into play and say it was staged actors or CG or any of the other bullshit excuses that always pass in anime.

I mean, we've seen from Takina and Chisato that the second they allow their little cultist babies to interact with other human beings, they start having huge problems with morale and retention. This is a very hard-but-brittle system.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I mean look back to the start of episode 1 in the original stand off with Takina's crew. Things went sideways and everyone was frozen except Takina

Anyway one thing that probably will play up in the finale is the fact that Yoshi's chair was clearly shown to be empty after he was shot meaning he probably was playing Possum the whole time. He wanted to be held hostage and probably has some sort of plan to get Chisato to kill

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Its a good thing for a lot of this shows conceits and plot progression that hacking is basically magic

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Sindai posted:

there was a whole conversation/joke about this back in episode 2 about school uniforms being the perfect urban camo. the show is definitely self-aware on this point

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
This episode was extremely good. Once again the power of true love saves the day.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Namtab posted:

Its a good thing for a lot of this shows conceits and plot progression that hacking is basically magic

i believe in walnut

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Chisato busting through the wall and getting some sick two on one fights are everything I wanted from this series. Can't wait for the finale.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

So I watched through all of this so far. All the stuff with Chisato and Takina and Mika and the rest of the group is great stuff and the premise of being a Buddy Cop show but with anime girls is executed very well. The dilemma facing Chisato and her friends, Takina being resolute in trying to support her, Mika's paternal pride coming in conflict with his enormous guilt, all of this works excellently and the show is at high gear when those core conflicts develop and interweave with one another.

The Lycoris organization stuff is comically dumb even by anime standards, but it somehow manages to get more and more farcical as the show goes along, as not only is the initial conceit really silly and stretching credulity enough, but it becomes more obvious over time than the whole organization is staffed by complete and total idiots to the point where I can't suspend my disbelief enough to buy that these buffoons managed to stay hidden in the shadows for so long. I dunno, maybe that's the whole idea, after all, Kurumi did say in episode... 7 I think it was that 'people who can only see data become dumber', or something along those lies, and given that Lycoris seems to have hedged their entire security and information apparatus on an unreliable AI I can see them trying to tie that together by the end, but it still comes off as extremely silly. It's not like it's really a bad thing or ruins the show or anything (the show isn't about any of this crap anyway, that much is clear) but I can't really ignore it regardless.

I like the main villain, he's a cool dude even if he's clearly off his rocker and needs to be put down. I know him revealing the Lycoris was supposed to be this huge climax that drives the rest of the story, but all I could do was nod my head cause yeah, he kinda has a point here and really the Lycoris brought it upon themselves by falling into such an obvious trap when they know their super AI has been compromised and when the main villain already made his intentions to reveal the Lycoris crystal clear to everyone. It's fine though, I'll still be rooting for Chisato and Takina to kick his rear end in the next episode :)

For the record Takina is the best character in this show and she is precious and I get mad when the other Lycoris pick on her. But not Chisato cause she's just being playful. Fuki and Kusunoki and that other girl can pound sand though.

Nate RFB posted:

I wrote all of the above before reading this thread so I'm glad to see I wasn't the only one :downs:

Super Jay Mann fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Sep 13, 2022

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
I’m a little disappointed that the bat joker was just gonna kill Chisato after all considering he could have done that at any moment before like when he was in her apartment

Also it’s been a bit of a thing for the entire show, but kinda had to chuckle @takina walking back to the cafe, then back to the tower new tower, up 700 flights of stairs and then back down and to the top of the d tower in basically the time it took Chisato to drive from the cafe on a loving highway and get to the top and tangle with the joker for a little bit.

Otherwise really enjoyed this show. Looking forward to the finale.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Again, Majima's problem is that he's trapped in his role. Even when he's struggling against the people who ruined his life, he can't think outside the box as the ultimate terrorist. I get the vibe that he's trying to kill Chisato at least partially because he's just not fully equipped for any other kind of interaction with someone who's an obstacle to him, even when he likes them and respects their life choices.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

ftr there's 13 episodes, finale is not this week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I think episode 13 is gonna be a cool down episode and wrap stuff up (and probably also leave some sequel hooks as this is 100% getting a sequel)