Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I think I read somewhere that the show was originally intended to be darker so maybe Chisato really did die in the original cut, or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nyoro posted:

I think I read somewhere that the show was originally intended to be darker so maybe Chisato really did die in the original cut, or something
yeah they said so in an interview. entirely possible, say, fuuki and the others would have been iced by DA too. would not be surprised if walnut surviving her intro ep is the pivot point between the dark and light versions of the story because walnut is a walking deus ex machina.

BlitznBurst
Feb 28, 2019

Personally I find the notion that Chisato not getting the heart would be totally out of place in the show very strange, I think an ending where she still only has however long left to live and the focus is just on her and Takina continuing to live in the cafe like they were would be totally fine.

That being said people have pointed out that we never actually see the inside of the case and that Chisato doesn't actually have a scar like the one Yoshi has after supposedly having the heart implanted, so yeah Yoshi is 100% bullshitting and the heart is literally just still in the case.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
I mean I’m not sure how they’d implant a fake heart without cutting her open. Her not having a scar just felt like an aesthetic choice or because it was 10 years ago or whatever.

My first assumption was that yoshi didn’t have the heart implanted as well, but not because of the lack of a scar. Mostly just cause it doesn’t make sense.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
The second he didn't actually open the case to show it was empty after lugging it everywhere in his big dramatic reveal I immediately doubted he actually did it.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Okay me and my wife caught up

Episode 12 was pretty drat great! Solidly emotional.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Tabletops posted:

I mean I’m not sure how they’d implant a fake heart without cutting her open. Her not having a scar just felt like an aesthetic choice or because it was 10 years ago or whatever.

My first assumption was that yoshi didn’t have the heart implanted as well, but not because of the lack of a scar. Mostly just cause it doesn’t make sense.

Fun 3rd option: Chisato gets Majima's heart and doesn't even need Yoshi's heart. That's wraps up all three loose threads nicely!

And uhhhhhh Takina somehow gets Majima's super hearing and Walnut is made head of DA. Sure, why not.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

majima should come work at lycoreco

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

studio mujahideen posted:

Imagine the parfaits he'd design!

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

studio mujahideen posted:

:hmmyes:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I'm glad Majima is doing well, somehow. :)

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I can't believe they managed to make Majima likeable by the end.

Mika plays the long game.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Holy crap Mika :stare:

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
s2 when

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Can't watch the last episode until tonight but I hope I see a post time skip gay marriage

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The biggest sequel hook they left is will Fuki ever be able to finish a parfait

The beach scene was amazing as was the pacing on the final fight. Great show easily one of my favorites of the year

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Aloha

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

that ending was utterly bizarre but in a good way

good show

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
I love the idea that Yoshi and Majima were trying to get the same reaction out of Chisato, but in the end your parents can never understand you like your rival.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

that said while i liked the ending the crowd just instantly forgetting about the girl that got shot ten feet behind them is incredibly funny. seen worse plotholes but they could have at least given a throwaway 'oh, i guess that was a stunt!' line or something and then have a medical crew get to that girl now that the crowd's relaxed

not a big deal or anything, just funny

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Nyoro posted:

Can't watch the last episode until tonight but I hope I see a post time skip gay marriage

sorry, they're post time skip chest bumping frat bros now

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
i'd like to issue a formal apology to majima. even though i think your schemes are silly and probably the worst part of an otherwise wonderful show, you did end up being a good foil to chisato.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

A big part of why Chisato/Majima works as rivals is they're allowed quiet moments to actually talk. Like the fight was really good but when they paused to drink juice and talk it was just really cool

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

SatoshiMiwa posted:

A big part of why Chisato/Majima works as rivals is they're allowed quiet moments to actually talk. Like the fight was really good but when they paused to drink juice and talk it was just really cool

yeah i loved that bit. same with other scene a few episodes ago when they're chilling in chisato's safe house

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Also when they do the movie They need to do it as the in universe movie complete with Bazooka

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

very happy with how this turned out, for a show i was hoping would be good ever since the early promos

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Endorph posted:

that said while i liked the ending the crowd just instantly forgetting about the girl that got shot ten feet behind them is incredibly funny. seen worse plotholes but they could have at least given a throwaway 'oh, i guess that was a stunt!' line or something and then have a medical crew get to that girl now that the crowd's relaxed

not a big deal or anything, just funny

I liked everyone ignoring the press conference with the politician giving incredibly lame excuses for what happened, with the obvious implication that people would just rather not think about it.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3N948w7Jib8

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
To be honest I think it's a bit messed up that Takina and Chisato moved to Hawaii so they could legally get married but they didn't show us the wedding.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

a pipe smoking dog posted:

To be honest I think it's a bit messed up that Takina and Chisato moved to Hawaii so they could legally get married but they didn't show us the wedding.

Season 2 or the movie/OVA/OWA.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Holy hell I love these two

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Symphogear fans: First time?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Yeah, he was a good antagonist

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Chisato was also a really interesting protagonist, the perfect dodge stuff is the perfect ability to have her stand out

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

The thing about Majima, like all the best villains, is that he has a point. Oh, his methods are deplorable, but so are DA's. If DA were right 100% of the time, that'd be one thing, but we saw with the arms deal in the first episode that they sometimes act on bad information. Further, they often kill just to protect their own anonymity. Just look at Kusunoki ordering Walnut's death, or the higher ups ordering the LillyBells to wipe out the Lycoris. How many innocent people have gotten gunned down and "cleaned" because of bad intel or for being in the wrong place at the wrong time?

If this show weren't about cute girls (with guns) doing cute things (sometimes with guns), DA would totally be the villains of the piece!

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

I like how action movies are a thing that keep being brought up, because those always have clearly defined good guys and bad guys and you always know who to root for. Here...not so much. Both DA and Majima have their hands stained.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I think it's important to note here that the entire conflict wasn't framed as something to win, but something to escape from. Just a bunch of reprehensible dumbasses murdering/traumatising each other and getting in the way of weekly board games at the café. It's why the main cast sodding off to Hawaii was the best possible outcome, with the hope that maybe one day Majima and their old Lycoris comrades will see reason and pop round for a paintball tournament and movie night. Leave the DA and the Alan Institute to keep being awful at each other half a planet away.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I find the Chisato/Majima dynamic interesting because in a way it’s an inversion of the usual hero/villain dynamic in that Chisato is fighting for her own values for her own satisfaction, while Majima is fighting for an ideology he truly believes in.

donotpost
Jul 28, 2022
Wasn't really a fan of how the show handled Chisato's heart getting fried. It felt like she gave up too easily and didn't really care about how her death would affect the people that care about her, and everyone else rolled over too easily when she told them to leave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I mean, she'd clearly long made peace with the fact, and everyone except Takina knew it was coming.