Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Anyways, that one cop, the one that kept visiting the store, he had to have been a Columbo reference, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

I think it worked because she was already going to die in the near future, just now it's a much earlier near future. Since LycoReco's existence was in service of the lady going to die it's seems normal for her to be able to say "Okay that's enough, thank you"

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Great final episode. I like just about everything, except I'm not sure how Majima would survive a fall like that. Unless of course he landed on a rooftop somewhere or something

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

his poofy hair is a powerful cushion

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
He heard the ground coming and dodged it

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nyoro posted:

Great final episode. I like just about everything, except I'm not sure how Majima would survive a fall like that. Unless of course he landed on a rooftop somewhere or something
the largest fall survived by a human without a parachute is 33,000 feet. if the new tower is a similar height to tokyo tower, then its only 1,000 feet or so - the glass dome they fell out of also looks like it extended pretty far down the tower. humans have survived falls like that even if they landed on rocks - rarely, but its happened. usually a matter of where the impact happens to get distributed.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Nyoro posted:

The joker never dies

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Endorph posted:

the largest fall survived by a human without a parachute is 33,000 feet. if the new tower is a similar height to tokyo tower, then its only 1,000 feet or so - the glass dome they fell out of also looks like it extended pretty far down the tower. humans have survived falls like that even if they landed on rocks - rarely, but its happened. usually a matter of where the impact happens to get distributed.

Those cases are almost always when the person in question is unconscious. Being limp helps you live, tensing up in terror is what gets you killed. So if Majima had enough self control to become totally relaxed when he hit, it would be possible he could survive.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Super Jay Mann posted:

I find the Chisato/Majima dynamic interesting because in a way it’s an inversion of the usual hero/villain dynamic in that Chisato is fighting for her own values for her own satisfaction, while Majima is fighting for an ideology he truly believes in.

I mean, very very few heroes in movies in hero/villain dynamic have the hero fighting for a big ideology they truly believe in.

It's *extremely* jrpg to have the hero to fight for the little goods and the litte happiness while the villain has his own twisted ideology that's horrible, like Majima does.

Mordja posted:

Anyways, that one cop, the one that kept visiting the store, he had to have been a Columbo reference, right?

*Maybe*. I think he was there mostly to be the Chisato of the adults, in many ways. Someone who cares for the day to day stuff but is a law enforcement/adult, and is shown to both know about the system, try to monitor it but can't go against it.

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014

Sindai posted:

He heard the ground coming and dodged it

If Chisato saw the earth rushing towards her, she'd just daintily get out of the way.

jng2058 posted:

Those cases are almost always when the person in question is unconscious. Being limp helps you live, tensing up in terror is what gets you killed. So if Majima had enough self control to become totally relaxed when he hit, it would be possible he could survive.
Getting shot in the head almost point blank a few times by Chisato punch bullets should do the trick

AtheistMantis fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Sep 26, 2022

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The heart thing was definitely just Chisato rationalising tht she was just going to die a bit earlier than planned, and given that her personal motivation was to make people happy she went with the brief unhappiness of shutting the cafe than the major unhappiness of having those around her witness her having heart failure.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
It's very important to remember that Chisato is a dumb romantic.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I just assumed Majima had a grappling hook pistol stashed away to arrest his fall, because he's a techno-thriller antagonist, why wouldn't he?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

He is dead, just an ideological ghost in the hearts of those who find a gun on the streets of japan

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Amazing that his plan hinged on ordinary people finding a gun and not just putting it down again

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Namtab posted:

Amazing that his plan hinged on ordinary people finding a gun and not just putting it down again

Or calling the police and saying "I found a gun".

I guess Japanese people always have a panic attack when witnessing a gun and he was aware of this.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I mean, that was part of the point of just flooding the country with guns. It only takes a few weirdos to use them to start serious trouble rather than just ignoring them or reporting them to the police. Plus, we know the yakuza exists in this setting, so they'd probably appreciate a little bit more firepower to make going about their business easier.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I think the show in general does a good (but not perfect) balancing act of being irreverent and self-aware with its setting while also not actually half-assing the characters and their motivations. It would have been very easy to make Majima a one-note character and/or have a continuously Mr Bean-esque series of slapstick for how DA is able to cover everything still somehow but there's just enough there that you can take it seriously insofar how the main characters care about the situation but also don't need to sweat the details all that much.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
That show was a really fun ride. I’d give it a solid 8/10, really great but not greatest of all time territory. I’m definitely down for a second season if they do one. Really appreciated the characterization of Majima, particularly the juice break in the last episode and the explosives fake out. He’s a fun character, even if he is a psycho. Definitely not mad that Yoshi but it either.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
s2 should be slice of life pls

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Tabletops posted:

s2 should be slice of life pls

Given the post-credits scene I'm expecting the show to become a Magnum PI reboot :v:

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013
I think the show was really good, and Mika's badass scene was a nice twist for the last ep, but they really dropped the ball by ineffectually trying to make Majima a foil to Chisato.

At least they tried to make it so that Chisato had a chance to spell out her actual philosophy, but Majima ultimately came out like a whining thrill-seeker offended the police is good at their job.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Arkeus posted:

I think the show was really good, and Mika's badass scene was a nice twist for the last ep, but they really dropped the ball by ineffectually trying to make Majima a foil to Chisato.

At least they tried to make it so that Chisato had a chance to spell out her actual philosophy, but Majima ultimately came out like a whining thrill-seeker offended the police is good at their job.

I think he’s mad that the peace in Japan is an illusion created by having children gun down anything that may threaten that illusion but then again I paid attention to the show

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Namtab posted:

I think he’s mad that the peace in Japan is an illusion created by having children gun down anything that may threaten that illusion but then again I paid attention to the show

He doesn't care that the peace is enforced by a totalitarian regime. He cares that they are successfully doing it. If the totalitarian regime wasn't successful then maybe he would be helping it, from his own words.

The 'illusion' is that the japan people are an exception that don't have strict enforcement, not the peace. Yes, he complains that japanese believe they are an exception, but those crux of his rants are that they are *successful* at creating said peace, and it's abnormal/not the right state of affairs.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
He's an Alan Child. There's a strong subtext with him that he is indeed extremely mad about child soldiers being a thing, because he is one and he hates it and even his attempts at rebellion get the people who turned him into a weapon rubbing their hands with glee. The bits where he just sits down and chats with Chisato are the closest he ever manages to get to not being who he is.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

The super secret organisation being called the alan foundation was very funny because every time it got mentioned I thought of alan partridge.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

New anime project announced
https://youtu.be/8R365_tkFBg

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Xelkelvos posted:

The only way I'd see it getting an S2 is if it's to promote the continuation of the spin-off LN or if there's another LN or mobagame for promotion.

Namtab posted:

yes, absolutely. When season 2 exists i won't remember this discussion but you will burn knowing namtab was right

Xelkelvos posted:

That'll be fine because hell would've frozen over too. :v:

:smug:

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Never question me, never doubt me

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

I'm glad Chisato and Takina have defeated Satan

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

They’re just that powerful

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I'm really curious how season 2 will go story wise since this felt complete.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Easy they're gonna solve crimes/do crimes while being gay in Hawaii

(also the main goal of the Alan foundation hasn't really be dealt with we've just had a run in with one of the lower level guys)

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

"new animation project" doesnt necessarily mean a tv season

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Easy they're gonna solve crimes/do crimes while being gay in Hawaii

(also the main goal of the Alan foundation hasn't really be dealt with we've just had a run in with one of the lower level guys)

We also haven't yet had the inevitable action-movie team-up with Majima.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Tales of Woe posted:

"new animation project" doesnt necessarily mean a tv season

This unfortunately. I'm 100% willing to eat crow but I remember when Kaguya-sama had a new project announcement, it was a movie.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Xelkelvos posted:

This unfortunately. I'm 100% willing to eat crow but I remember when Kaguya-sama had a new project announcement, it was a movie.

Hey now, a sequel movie seems like a perfectly fine idea for this show.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
It's time to learn about the boys.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Yawgmoft posted:

It's time to learn about the boys.

no thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Xelkelvos posted:

You say that like kaguya won’t get a s4 when it absolutely will