Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Here, please enjoy my not-actually-an-entry, past the deadline as it is, to ICSA: Summer. Thanks to Liquid Communism for mastering ceremonies! Just sharing for fun :)

Seasonal cooking is wonderful, in exactly the way all cooking is wonderful but more-so. Cooking allows us to make a dish which is greater than the sum of its parts, which nourishes and brings people together to enjoy it. The actual cooking is either a shared experience, or a gift of one person's efforts for others' labor-free enjoyment. Seasonal cooking gives you excuses and contexts for these gatherings, as well as direction for the ingredients and dishes. Specifically, summer cooking to me and my family means:
  • Mostly cook-ahead and/or very brief cook-together, leaning towards the "let me take care of you" side rather than the "let's get together for this project" side.
  • Cold veggies that still have texture
  • Fresh fruit
  • A dessert that can get boozy if you're into it
We originally made this menu, plus quite a few more options, for my son's 2nd birthday in mid-July. I really intended on photographing that as my entry, and I would've definitely made the deadline if I had. However, cooking and organizing toddler events and hosting family took precedent over documenting, so we did a simplified encore just a few days ago to share with y'all!

Ham and cheese sliders from Once Upon a Chef
Make some poppy-mustard butter. This step is probably the most important, takes them from "oh sandwiches nice" to "ooh recipe please!"

Halve and slather with more mustard some sweet Hawaiian rolls:

Top with a layer of cheese, a layer of ham, and another layer of cheese:

Do some topping and slathering:

Bake it all at 350°F for around 20 minutes. Serve warm, though cold leftovers can hit the spot too!

Broccoli slaw from Smitten Kitchen
Broccoli choppoli

Take non-toasted sliced almonds and transmogrify into the other kind

Marinate red onion in an acid (cider vinegar here) and some sugar

Mix with buttermilk and mayonnaise, then toss all of the above plus cranberries together-like. Use a silvery bowl so the reflection looks neat.

Orange sorbet, with banana for the kids but leaving it very tart for adults. Kids get it on an orange half (from the juiced oranges), adults get it in a bowl floating on rum if desired!
750 ml orange juice
150 ml sugar
Heat ~250g juice with the sugar to dissolve, then add the rest. Add zest of 2 oranges if the spirit guides you.

Cherries as your fresh fruit, and Bob's your uncle!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU