Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Might be good to mention that Paizo has teamed up with Foundry Virtual Tabletop to start releasing full Adventure Paths there. Beginner's Box, Abomination Vaults, Outlaws of Alkenstar, and some Bounties are fully released as of August 2022. The quality (for Abomination Vaults, anyway) is very good and my group will probably pick up more of them after we're done AV.

Content links for Paizo and Foundry VTT are here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Only reason is to take advantage of the Chain armor specialization over the Leather one. Not much of a reason, but I guess it exists?

E: Wait, nevermind. That only applies to Medium and Heavy armor. I guess it's just aesthetic. :/

Double E: And you don't take a -1 to Athletics and Acrobatics since its Flexible. * shrug *

SilverMike fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Aug 31, 2022

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

That's how I read it. You'll still be limited to one active companion at a time though.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

If nothing else, Trip is a nice flex to hit Reflex DC when you're dealing with something large/tough that likely has a high Fortitude DC to make Grapples and Shoves hard to land.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Big Mouth Billy Basshole posted:

Thaumaturge question: on a successful exploit weakness do you learn the value of the target's highest weakness? In the crit success description it specifically calls out that you learn the appropriate values but that wording isn't in the success description.

Logically I think it should, since the player should be able to determine if they want to use the personal antitheses or its mortal weakness.

mind the walrus posted:

I don't have the wording in front of me but that was my interpretation-- on a successful exploit weakness the GM can share the highest or most relevant weakness to the player, unless that GM is a dick.

RAW, you only get its highest weakness on a success, not the numeric value of the weakness. That's fine IMO, since the success is you normally recalling a fact about the creature, while the crit seems like your flash of insight is coming from the magic of empowering your esoterica, not just what you personally remember.

But it wouldn't break the game if you house ruled knowing the value of the weakness on success.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Scrap Dragon posted:

Any advice for someone running Abomination Vaults for the first time? This'll also be my first time running Pathfinder and I'll be running it for people who have only ever played 5e before

Make sure your PCs have discussed their party's combat tactics by the time they get to dungeon level 3. They need to have some sort of understanding of what everyone wants to do and how to help each other do it. Sounds basic, but my group of PCs didn't do this and eventually ate a TPK that could have been avoided.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

my only foundry complaint is that a lot of thaumaturge features aren't in automatically, it's hardly a big deal but it's still kinda annoying

If you haven't seen it yet, check out https://foundryvtt.com/packages/pf2e-thaum-vuln for some help there.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Crafting question.

We’ve got a silver cane sword that no one can use or wants to use. What’s the easiest way to like reforge it into something else?

Otari has a blacksmith so presumably we just ask him to do it but what does that cost vs just buying a new low-grade silver weapon for 40gp?

Earn Income is a decent baseline for how much a job should cost, if materials are being provided. In the case of Otari specifically, Carman from Blades For Glades is level 6 and you can assume he's at least an Expert at Crafting. So 2 GP per day to work on a level 2 item for 4 days.

Or just fudge it and make the reforge cost a % of what the item normally would.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

RAW you use standard weapons with no loss of reach.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

Trying to expand my understanding of different classes, and wanted to make sure I'm reading the Alchemist rules correctly.

1- I end up with 8 alchemy recipes at the end of first level, 4 for the Alchemical Crafting feat, 2 free with the formula book I get, and 2 that come with my research field

2- At character creation, assuming I have an Int bonus of +4, I get 5 Infused Reagents a day. Each Infused Reagent can be used w/ Advanced Alchemy to create 2 temporary alchemical items that last a day, but I can effectively refresh every day. I'm assuming this is the way to balance between Alchemists having infinite items or having to burn all their treasure on stocking their bombs?

3- As such, I could have a starting loadout of 6 alchemical fires, 2 elixirs of life, and 2 of whatever (mutagens, antidotes, etc)

4- My bomb throwing skill is based of Dex, so having that at +3 is the best I can start with, and a total attack modifier of +6 ? I'm sort of relying on pathbuilder for that number and I'm not 100% sure where it's coming from

1) You might have missed that the 2 that come from your research field are 'signature' items.

2) Basically. Just keep in mind you can save some of those daily infusions to use with Quick Alchemy during the day.

3) You can prepare 3 signature items with a single infusion instead of the normal 2.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

The crossbow is also hindered by needing to spend an action to reload after every shot. There're ways to help with that but if you're a Flurry ranger, you pretty much need a weapon with Reload 0.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

gurragadon posted:

Do your parties play with the critical fumble deck? The fumbles are pretty punishing if you play with that deck, one of my players drew one that made him doomed 1 and fatigued while he was doomed. Alot of the effects cause you to drop your weapons. Another guy lost -15 feet to his speed until he was healed. Plenty of failures that cause the player to attack there own party too.

Is there any actual punishment for critical failures on attacks in the base rules?

Strikes don't have a crit fail result listed, so crit fails do nothing except when interacting with other abilities.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Quote != edit

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

CottonWolf posted:

I suspect both Samurai and Ninja or some renamed version of those will end up as archetypes in the Tian Xia character options book.

Isn't Tian Xia more an analog for China while Minkai is Japan?

E: Guess Minkai is still part of the continent, just feels weird to me to go straight for Japanese-themed classes.

Silver2195 posted:

Minkai is part of Tian Xia. Tian Xia is East/Southeast Asia in general.

Yeah, my bad. Was originally thinking Minkai was separate.

SilverMike fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Aug 30, 2023

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Jon posted:

Real Daredevil vibes there

Bring out the Meteor Shield or Razor Disc from Treasure Vault and that'll fit Captain America too.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

ZZT the Fifth posted:

Our GM has proposed having a low investment GMPC to act as a healbot for lower levels. Given how badly we've been getting banged up, this might not be a bad idea.

Any idea how I can help my fellow PCs with tactics?

If you haven't already been, try to avoid taking a 3rd attack on a turn. Demoralize, Stride away, Stride to set up a flank for Flat-Footed/Off-Guard, Recall Knowledge, try to do -something- that isn't an attack at -10 MAP. Striding away is also generally useful to potentially make monsters burn 1 or 2 actions to catch you or someone other target.

Another thing is to keep the Delay action in mind. You can set up better situations with by manipulating your turn order, especially in regards to debuffing. Throw a Demoralize on something when your other 3 party members all act before it, set up a flank so you and the Barb can take advantage of it before the monster gets to move away, or whatever else you can think of.

And if you're facing a single monster, think about things like Grapple or Trip to make it burn 1 of its 3 actions if it wants to act freely. As a bonus, them getting up from Prone after a Trip gives you a chance to AoO if you're not saving the reaction for a block.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

The Slack Lagoon posted:

We wrapped up the Beginner Box tonight and headed to town for selling and buying of equipment and setting up for starting AV next week.

How do shops work? Wrin says shop 5 - is there a list I can filter based on types of items sold and level? Can you just buy anything on that list?

Nethys is good for filtered lists. https://2e.aonprd.com/Equipment.aspx

I'm running AV and I haven't been restricting access to items as long as they fall within the kinds of things the person is supposed to sell. And Otari is close to Absalom, so you can use that as a hook for regional/uncommon/weird items.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

ZZT the Fifth posted:

There isn't another healer in the party (yet, we're at level 1), unfortunately, and I'm kinda pulling double duty as the tank and medic. :sigh:

An alternate use of your Free Archetype is to go into Blessed One. Lay on Hands is a single action for guaranteed 6/level HP and +2 status bonus to AC for 1 round and you'll get that back for every fight unless you can't spend 10 minutes Refocusing.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

With the re-done Refocus rules that allow you to Refocus while doing a suitable activity (one example given was a cleric treating wounds), as long as the DM is onboard, he could combine both.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

I wonder if you could get a satisfying minion feel by dropping defenses 5 or more points. PCs get to crit a bunch and see their cool effects happen, NPCs die faster but aren't completely trivial and can still hurt you if you leave them alive.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

Does anyone have familiarity with the snare rules? https://2e.aonprd.com/Rules.aspx?ID=743

Are there rules about how a snare is deployed? Are there certain snares or feats that allow a character to deploy a snare within a single turn? Sort of seeing if I could create a gimmick around that...

The Ranger has an entire line of feats to make snares more feasible to use.

Edit: Snarecrafter archetype also has good tricks for using snares on short notice.

SilverMike fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Sep 29, 2023

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

gurragadon posted:

I hate darkvision so much on PC's. Any ancestry that see's the sun ever shouldn't have anything above low-light vision. Going to the surface should just burn anyone's eyes with darkvision. I kind of want to remove it from my games but that's just a blatant weakening of a bunch of ancestries in the game and I wouldn't know how to compensate for it.

I doubt whatever you'd give them as compensation for losing darkvision would break your game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

I feel like the better way to address it is to rethink the monsters that get immunity, see which of them need full immunity instead of resistance, and which should just ditch it entirely. Extra effort than trying to patch the classes, but simpler to make sure nothing unexpected happens in the process.

And yeah, I know it's not great to say "let the DMs patch it".