Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Thinking about buying a book, because it is easier for me to grok the shape of a thing from a book than a wiki. But which book?

There's the Core Rulebook, and then there's the Core Rulebook Pocket edition, with no real description of the difference between the two except that the first weighs 4.3 pounds and the latter 2.3 pounds, and the heavier book costs :20bux: more. Does it cost more because it has more stuff, or just because it is a hardcover and has more dead tree in it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Thanks guys. Sounds like my best bet might be to go to a physical store and look at them to see which one works better for my elderly genx eyes.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Do big cities usually have all the magic items in large amounts? By level 4 you could have the magical crafting feat and get the formulas for 4 common level 1 or 2 magic items. Make hats of disguise for all your friends. What could your team do with 20 onyx dogs? Quantity has a quality all it's own. Or just healing potions, I guess.

I really like the idea of killing monsters, then skinning them and making them into magic armor or something. Oh you found an owlbear's gallbladder? Lucky, you can use one of those to ???

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

sugar free jazz posted:

“Crafting materials” is honestly such a lazy, insulting and garbage bandaid for a terrible crafting system lmao

In a way it makes sense. Imagine you slay a dragon and wind up with 5,000 gp worth of dragon hide. You could sell it for 2,500 gp to a merchant, or use it and put the full 5,000 of value toward crafting your dragon hide armor. That's where the financial saving in crafting it yourself comes from.

It is disappointing to hear that crafting sucks, when the alchemist and inventor flavor text are all about inventing and crafting poo poo. A rogue could also pick up a few crafting feats without much trouble.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Chevy Slyme posted:

Right, the problem is that it doesn’t even fulfill that goal of “this is a system that provides players with access to the specific items they want instead of the ones the GM gives them” because of the specific requirement for tons of downtime which other players don’t have anything useful to do with.

That's a RP issue, not a mechanics issue. If a character doesn't want to do crafting or income earning activities, that character is very likely to enjoy time off. You go through a grueling adventure where you are constantly looking over your shoulder for danger and never able to get a good night's sleep: getting to spend a couple weeks in town blowing off steam is your character's reward. Just going from fight to fight with no downtime ought to leave the party a bunch of nervous wrecks with PTSD before you reach 5th level.

Maybe it isn't what your player wants to spend time on, but any amount of downtime can be resolved in 10 minutes of player time if that's how you want to resolve it.

One thing that irks me on some live plays is that 3 months of in character time has gone by, and everyone in the party has gone up 10 levels. They've gone from unknown homeless hobos to some of the most powerful people in the world practically overnight. I'd really prefer that they had a few weeks between jobs where they are theoretically studying, practicing, consulting libraries, sparring etc to refine what they've learned. There should be more to godlike power than just committing a few dozen murders.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

disposablewords posted:

Except by that point it's gone beyond kind of sad to keep reusing to downright infuriating and that's why it makes the enemy keep getting debuffed, because they're distracted by this smug twit in their face just constantly telling the same joke like it's funny again and again and aaaaagh.

This guy gets it.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Rythian posted:

It's a little bit less handwavy now (no more 4 days only), and you can make more choices when crafting, but ultimately I still don't like that crafting an item gives you basically no benefit compared to just buying it. I understand the reasons why, but I think there should be something to gain for all the feats and skills spent on becoming a better crafter.

I think I'll just end up letting my players focus on crafting stuff you can't buy normally by letting them find unique formulas, and give out crafting materials used only for crafting, but worth more than just the equivalent in gold. Maybe throw in a custom magic item that lowers cost and/or time spent or something.

Yeah, even 10% off would make it seem worthwhile. Maybe even 20%. At that point not too many adventurers are going to retire to become blacksmiths and crash the economy. By the time you have at least Expert in crafting you should be able to make things for a little below full retail price.

Obviously the NPC professional crafters with shops are all making their goods significantly below the retail price they charge, right? They have equipment, contracts with raw material suppliers, unpaid interns and whatnot to help them get economies of scale so it might only cost them 50% of the final price, including labour. If a PC can make the same items for 80% of retail they aren't going to blow up the economy.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

sugar free jazz posted:

Slimes can be tripped, skeletons can bleed. as long as they’re not expressly immune it happens. If you can’t think of a way for a skeleton to bleed then you’re playing the game wrong.

It's not blood, it's bone hurting juice.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

M. Night Skymall posted:

It's not a big deal, I'm a skeleton in my current campaign and another person is a poppet and I'm not sure the bleed thing has ever come up and we're about to hit level 8. Skeletons apparently eat bones though(or use them to mend themselves somehow?), which is way weirder than being affected by bleed damage. Am I constantly swapping my bones out for new ones? Does that make me look different? Are my legs different length. Much more important questions.

quote:

Bone Missile
Skeleton
You can remove your ribs to use them as arrows or bolts. When you draw a rib, you lose 2 HP, and the projectile deals 2 extra negative damage if you Strike with it before the end of your next turn. The HP loss and extra damage both increase to 3 at 12th level and 4 at 19th level. Your rib cage magically replenishes, and any rib you draw crumbles to dust after being used for a Strike or at the end of your next turn, whichever comes first.
BotD

Seems like you magically retain your 'real' form even if you lose bits. Maybe the bones you eat are just for delicious bonemarrow jelly.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Lamuella posted:

Skellingtons shooting people with their ribs is absolutely fantastic.

It really is. How could you not make a ranged build? You'd be a fool to go melee . . .

Well-Armed

Skeleton
Your detachable limbs offer flexibility. You Interact to remove your arm and wield it in the other one, increasing your reach by 5 feet for any one-handed weapon held in that arm. If your next action is a Strike with that weapon, creatures that were outside your reach that you can now hit are flat-footed against your first attack. You don't have a free hand while holding the arm. You can Interact to reattach the arm while holding it.
BotD

:skeltal:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

If it bleeds we can kill it.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

So my second player has made a 14 CHA Bard. When I tried to talk him out of this he told me that Pathfinder 2e has "fake options" if he can't make a 14 CHA bard, and that it was possible to make an effective INT based Fighter in D&D 3.5E (he saw this in a movie).

We're adults so I was able to reach an agreement/understanding, but it's going to be tough. The party is a Swashbuckler (built pretty well), a Crossbow Ranger with 16 Dex, a Wizard (also built "correctly" and by that I mean didn't sabotage his key ability) and the aforementoned 14 CHA Bard. Wish me luck. This feels like it's going to flop bad and they're going to blame the system.

Min-maxing is the meta, but does a +1 or +2 really make that much of a difference? Losing a +1 to your DC is a 5% difference at level one, and just gets smaller from there. It isn't ideal, but I wouldn't think it is crippling. Especially if they are the sort of bard that focuses on buffing allies rather than damaging enemies. There's loads of bard spells that never use the DC. Instead of being a bard whose weakness is his 8 str, this guy's weakness is that he just isn't that great a bard magic.

It isn't like 5E where you'll have a party of 8 Int morons wandering around because nobody is playing a wizard and Int is pretty useless for everyone else, in pathfinder every attribute is useful. Moving those points to other attributes means his character will be a little better at things bards aren't usually that good at.

I would recommend going into assuming that your players are going to have fun. If you go into it all "you idiot, you moron, what did you think would happen if you didn't max out charisma?" it's definitely not going to be fun for anyone. Look at the things the character is good at, and try to find ways to reward those unconventional choices. He can be useful and 'win' even if he's the worst bard in the world.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Got a text last night and the 14 CHA Bard is now 18 CHA. "I always play intelligent characters" was the real reason btw. That's why all the blah-blah about character motivation didn't make any sense. This guy thinks he has to be a Big Brain in every setting. I'm a little disappointed in him because all his big "explore the system" crap was just cover for him playing a high INT bard (exactly what he plays in 5e) but whatever. At least he's not playing a garbage pile.

Regarding ability scores, in earlier editions of D&D they absolute were Your Genetic Potential but nowadays you should look at them as a "how your character spends their time" meter. A character can be very intelligent but if they don't spend their time being a nerd then they have a low INT stat because if you just randomly ask them a question about lore of who the 10th King of Aquilona is they don't know. So you can be a cunning person or even a smart person but one that had no access to all that stuff, if you like. Just like a nice friendly person who everybody likes but who can't consistently get other people to do what they want is....perfectly normal with a 10 CHA.

For an actual example of this Robert E Howard's Conan is a very clever and cunning guy, but he doesn't know anything academic and doesn't care. He has low charisma (until he's king) because he doesn't bother to convince anyone, either through threats or kindness. He just says "I'll loving kill you if you do that" and then they usually do it and...well...you know.

It's good he pumped his key stat.

But surely Int isn't bad on a bard? Kind of pointless in 5E, but in pathfinder that gets him extra skills and extra languages which very much feeds into the jack of all trades trope. A face having lots of languages is great. As long as it is coming at the expense of other stats rather than Charisma.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Really there is nothing stopping you from just changing the key ability score. Rogues can change from dex to almost any other score depending on racket, there's no reason that couldn't work for some other classes.

An acolyte who was hella book learned and devout (but not at all perceptive or insightful) unexpectedly gets blessed by their god to be an Int based cleric because they are a walking almanac of religious lore. He could even make his religion checks with Int because he's literally memorized the holy books and can recite them from memory. The Religious Nerd doctrine.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

How do bard composition cantrips work with regard to having stuff in your hands? It seems like you're supposed to be playing music. Do you need hands for this?

Like on the "Knights of Everflame" actual play linked above, the actor playing the bard mimes playing a song on her violin with two hands to cast Inspire Courage, and then makes an attack with her sling. Nobody says she has to stow her violin and draw her sling before she can do that, because obviously if she had to do 2 interact actions she then wouldn't have any actions left to make an attack. Maybe it's just fluff?

Looking at the particular spells they don't seem to require an instrument at all, just a 'tune' or whatever. So you could just whistle your composition spells to keep your hands free?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

"Weapon Proficiency" is a level 1 general feat. It's easy to get martial weapon proficiency, but they don't work with sneak attack. You don't big martial weapon dice and sneak attack dice.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Could a nonverbal bard do his verbal components by whistling? Not being able to talk isn't the same as not being able to whistle.

If so, could a Flatulist bard do their verbal components via farts?

It's a legitimate profession. :colbert:

quote:

A flatulist, fartist, or professional farter is an entertainer often associated with a specific type of humor, whose routine consists solely or primarily of passing gas in a creative, musical, or amusing manner.[1]

History
There are a number of scattered references to ancient and medieval flatulists, who could produce various rhythms and pitches with their intestinal wind. Saint Augustine in City of God (De Civitate Dei) (14.24) mentions some performers who did have "such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at will, so as to produce the effect of singing." Juan Luis Vives, in his 1522 commentary to Augustine's work, testifies to having himself witnessed such a feat,[citation needed] a remark referenced by Michel de Montaigne in an essay.[which?]

The professional farters of medieval Ireland were called braigetoír. They are listed together with other performers and musicians in the 12th century Tech Midchúarda, a diagram of the banqueting hall of Tara. As entertainers, these braigetoír ranked at the lower end of a scale headed by bards, fili, and harpers.[2][3]

An entry in the 13th-century English Liber Feodorum or Book of Fees lists one Roland the Farter, who held Hemingstone manor in the county of Suffolk, for which he was obliged to perform "Unum saltum et siffletum et unum bombulum" (one jump and whistle and one fart) annually at the court of King Henry II every Christmas. The Activa Vita character in the 14th century allegorical poem Piers Plowman appears to number farting among the abilities desirable in a good entertainer,[4] saying: "As for me, I can neither drum nor trumpet, nor tell jokes, nor fart amusingly at parties, nor play the harp."

In Japan, during the Edo period, flatulists were known as "heppiri otoko" (放屁男), lit. "farting men."[5] The term He-gassen (屁合戦), "farting competitions", is applied to Edo-period art scrolls depicting flatulence.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Pryce posted:

Yeah, but if you get Silenced it could be deadly.

LOL.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I'm playing Kingmaker, and I was hoping for folks' thoughts on something. Is the whole module the party being colonizers?

We stumbled across somekobolds in a radish patch, with a quest to get some radishes, our diplomacy failed and the koblolds attacked. All over some radishes that we were willing to trade for.

Is the whole module like this? Invading and murdering indigenous peoples in "untamed wilderness"?

I played the crpg version based on the adventure path, but it is probably similar? If anything you should have more ability to bend the story in the p&p version since you aren't restricted to pre-programed choices.

They aren't exactly indigenous, they are recent settlers just like you. Most of them have been in the area less than a hundred years because there's a mysterious reason no civilization big or small endures there despite it being fertile land. You are like british colonizers dealing with spanish colonizers and french colonizers, not an indigenous civilization.

You can make a peaceful alliance with most of them. You are building a kingdom, but not necessarily a human kingdom. You can make it your goal to make the XP fodder settlements safer through alliance, where they agree not to engage in banditry and you formalize their position as legal inhabitants of the kingdom with full protection of the law. They become stronger and more prosperous through the alliance, with their ownership of the land they inhabit enshrined in law. Some might even choose to become inhabitants of your capital city.

If you want to go for a diplomatic victory you're going to need a fantastic diplomat.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

If you turn into a pest form and eat tiny creature amounts of food, do you remain full when you turn back to a medium sized creature???

Anyway, this is a cool video about how a +1 means more in pathfinder than 5e. Useful for DnD folks trying pathfinder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JhgCPQ9MGg

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

If you want to have crafting be useful you need to have lots of downtime built in. There was an old DnD rule that 1 day of downtime IRL = 1 day of downtime in game. The assumption was that the party would leave the dungeon at the end of the session. Helps keep people from shooting through the levels in just a few weeks of IC time.

If you have an alchemist or inventor crafting is easy, they'll probably just need the magical item crafting feat in addition to things they were going to do anyway. A rogue or investigator has enough skill proficiencies to take crafting without harming things they want to take. If you're using the free archetype rule the inventor archetype gives you everything you need to be a decent crafter, and also sometimes you can make your sword explode.

Super cool item for crafters:
https://2e.aonprd.com/Equipment.aspx?ID=1282

quote:

Private Workshop
Item 6
Uncommon Conjuration Magical Structure
Source Grand Bazaar pg. 30
Price 200 gp
Bulk L (when not activated)
A private workshop is a model building about the size of a music box that resembles a smithy, tannery, alchemy lab, or other crafting facility.

Activate 1 minute (command, envision, Interact); Effect The model workshop transforms into a full-sized square workshop of the represented type. The walls are 15 feet wide and the ceiling is 10 feet high. The workshop is stocked with mundane tools and can be used to Craft items appropriate to the workshop with a +1 item bonus, but you must supply any raw materials.

You can pull on a cord hanging from the workshop's ceiling as an Interact action to revert the private workshop to its model form.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Is there a rule written somewhere about whether normal arrows fired from a magical bow count as magical for resistances and stuff?

I've been playing some one-shots with other newbies and people who have been away from the game for a while, and while fighting Shadows nobody could remember. The general lack of magic ammunition makes it seem like the bow is all you need, but we couldn't find that written down anywhere.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

With knowledge checks it seems like you'd have some idea if you are remembering that class really well, or just grasping at straws.

If you are a Mastermind Rogue you're going to know if you aced it or hosed up, because if you succeed the creature is flat footed, and if you crit they are flat footed for a full minute.

Speaking of mastermind rogue, I recall knowledge often for flat footed, but the knowledge mostly doesn't change what I'm going to do. Get 'em flat footed and then stab 'em. What is the best information to ask for to help out my allies?

Immunities and resistances is what I usually go for, so the spell casters don't waste spell slots on forms of energy they are immune to. But maybe weakest save would be better? Help them figure out what spell has the best chance to break through? I tried weaknesses but it seems like hardly anything has weaknesses.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Rythian posted:

Now, obviously, this is all down to how you read things. If you go by the idea that the undead trait isn't applicable for Skeleton (despite it being there) and instead only Basic Undead Benefits count, you can be healed by anything that isn't positive healing - so Elixirs of Life works on you despite you not being living, same for Elixir of Rejuvenation. It also makes Stitch Flesh kind of pointless. What are you gonna use it on? Random zombie minions following you around?

It definitely would make things easier for a party with a skeleton (like mine), but I can't help but feel it's a bit weird for a skeleton to be considered a living creature, that can be healed just the same as anyone else through bandages and salves and whatever, with just a standard Treat Wounds/Battle Medicine check.

I'm torn, honestly. I read the rules the way it makes sense to me, but maybe it would just be easier to be more permissive.

Stitch Flesh could be for PC necromancers who have undead minions. If you've got an undead horse you want to repair it.

Regardless, bandages and salves make perfect sense to me. You use your medical crazy glue and your medical duct tape to patch up your undead buddy. Skeleton buddy fractures a femur? Splint and bandages will work just as well to immobilize the fracture for him as it will for any other member of the party. Maybe better. It's got to be easier to set a fracture when you can actually see the whole bone without a bunch of bleeding flesh in the way, right? Skeleton people should be the easiest people to repair. :skeltal:

You want a head scratcher, try using medicine on a guy with the Ghost archetype.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Initiative order matters too. Tripping a guy whose turn is right after yours doesn't help as much as tripping the guy whose turn was right before yours and forcing him to stay down while all your allies take their shots on him.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Chevy Slyme posted:

why does my mans have bird feet

Some fey have goat feet. Maybe this one has bird feet.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Harold Fjord posted:

If none of you are elves you don't get to navigate socal situations where everyone hates elves

LOL reading this without the context of the posts it is replying to is funny.

It's a culture not a costume. :mad:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I wonder how that works when you would get to 19 in a stat? Normally after 18 it takes 2 bumps to increase from +4 to +5.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I like alignment but it is weird sometimes. Playing the Wrath of the Righteous CRPG I was trying to stay CG for Ataza, but most of the chaotic options were awful -- just being rude for no reason. A cranky teenager's idea of "freedom".

It would be like: You see a beggar. Do you:
Give him a coin? (good)
Flip him the bird? (chaotic)
Kick him? (Evil)
Arrest him for vagrancy? (Lawful)

Like WTF the only "don't be an rear end in a top hat" option is Good, so I kept slipping toward neutral good.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Scoss posted:

-If that tripped enemy tries to stand up or crawl away, Fighters get to attack of opportunity them! (AoO are not ubiquitous anymore, it's a special feature of the Fighter class by default and other martials can acquire it with a feat). The 3-action system and reining in of AoO makes fights less likely to become static melee blobs and you get to think more about tactical movement.

Speaking of tactical movement, I really like that the flanking bonus requires you to be on opposite sides of the opponent, not merely both adjacent to them. You really have to think about how to position your melee guys for best effect.

Critical weapon effect are awesome too. Like with a flail if you crit your enemy is knocked prone. You just did your normal attack, but now the other guy is going to have to spend and action to stand up on his next turn. Or a hammer that knocks them 10 feet away on crit.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The hardcover Core Rulebook is back in stores. :toot: Anyone know when they are going to reprint the pocket edition? I tried google but didn't get anywhere.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Bottom Liner posted:

With the revised editions coming I wouldn't recommend buying any of the core books ATM. Get a cheap PDF if you need, or just use Nethys for the time being.

Yeah that's a good point. I got the pdf at the humble bundle. I'm just old and enjoy holding a book sometimes.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Silver2195 posted:

Chromatic and metallic dragons are a terrible concept. You can tell the good dragons from the bad dragons because the good ones are shiny? Really? Did anyone genuinely think that was an interesting idea?

That way when your druid gets dragon hide armor everyone can tell they are just a weirdo not a loving monster. It's the skin of a person, a fully sapient being. No, but see, it's green so it's okay.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The schools were kind of dumb anyway, especially Enchantment. The school of mind control and making cool magic items.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Arivia posted:

the last time enchantment was required for making magical items was AD&D 2e, c'mon

Yes, and that is when I decided the schools were dumb. That's the system Gygax invented, and it was dumb. Folks can keep patching Gygax's vision, or they can say actually some other wizards categorise magic in a completely different way and move on.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Silver2195 posted:

I'm far from an expert on Pathfinder lore stuff, but didn't Sorshen do things that were really, really bad? Like, "sexual slavery on a massive scale" bad? Should she really have been "redeemed"? :can:

Redemption is for everybody. :colbert:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

appropriatemetaphor posted:

My thing with that is what if you’re flanking an enemy. You’ve attacked twice and now it makes sense to step back, but like now your ally loses the flank.

I feel kinda trapped just tooling around next to a big baddie sometimes. Like you could recall knowledge or whatever but if you’re a martial class you probably suck at that or your mage has done that already.

Okay what you do is get trained in nature. Investing a skill point in nature can be a big ask, but it's easier than trying to invest in charisma skills with no charisma to make intimidate checks. Then take the beastmaster dedication. Now you can use your useless third action to give your pet 2 actions.

There are lots of options, but if you pick the big cat the support benefit will make your rogue very happy. The cat doesn't even attack, it just stands there being supportive and "Until the start of your next turn, your Strikes that deal damage to a creature that your cat threatens make the target flat-footed until the end of your next turn." Tell the cat to support, make your two strikes, and unless you whiff twice that dude is flat footed to everyone for a whole turn.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

appropriatemetaphor posted:

It’s me! But too late melted down to scrap. Or rather reforged into a short sword to one day join a cold iron rapier once I’ve got 40ish golds.

Was looking at martial weapons that would be good, but rapier with that deadly d8 still seems like the best main weapon?

The light hammer is okay. Only a d6 but it's critical effect is knocked prone. All the flails and hammers do knocked prone. The Spiked Chain is finesse and d8, but you'd need the right kind of guy to pull that one off, lol.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Forget the weapons, it's really funny when someone 3 feet tall has 18 strength.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

uh like I said that is just the straight strength score of a basic rear end commoner

https://2e.aonprd.com/NPCs.aspx?ID=898

if a cr -1 commoner isn't a good baseline for an average in shape joe rando off the street I dunno what would be.

Dang. Have you seen the begger? A guy typically unfit for any work, with disease, disability or addiction problems?
Str +1, Dex +3, Con +2, Int +0, Wis +1, Cha +1 A beast! https://2e.aonprd.com/NPCs.aspx?ID=897

The beggar has a total of +8, the commoner a total +7. If I'm reading this right a first level adventurer will have +9, so by design adventurers are not exceptional people. Only very slightly above average to start.