Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

mind the walrus posted:

gently caress yes. If it's in the vein of Kingmaker/Wrath of the Righteous with 2e rules that could be very good.

The first glance looks like it's gonna be a Diablo-style hack and slash ARPG. Not really my thing personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Dungeon Meister posted:

I haven't played 2e yet, but I'm curious about the way you take up to three actions on your turn. It sounds like a fun, versatile mechanic, but I was wondering if it slowed combat down or caused balance issues. What's everyone's experience with it?

I built my alchemist with the action economy in mind; I have a lot of options between Quick Bomber, training in every Recall Knowledge monster skill, Battle Medicine, and the witch archetype for Shield + Electric Arc. Every turn I use some combination of these, pretty much, or I just find cover and duck behind it after tossing a bomb. Some sample turns I might do are like Recall Knowledge + move + Quick Bomber, Quick Bomber + Electric Arc, move + Quick Bomber + Take Cover or Shield, etc. I read that alchemists can have difficulties finding useful things to do with their actions if they invest in a lot of pre-combat buff items, so I wanted to make sure I have plenty of options in combat actions.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Fudging behind the screen is a thing that many GMs do all the time. It's neither uncommon or necessarily a bad thing. Different groups have different expectations.

I have tipped things in the favor of the players myself when DMing DnD in the past. I have also had a few character deaths in games I have run. It's not a hard and fast rule in any situation; a TTRPG is not a video game. You have a GM who can make a judgment call in the moment.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

KPC_Mammon posted:

Aklo is uncommon so you can't start the game with it. A single skill feat could give you two uncommon languages. A single multiclass dedication (Linguist) could give you four.

It could be extra worthwhile for characters that rely on Bon Mot.

Aklo is on the list of languages a ratfolk can start with, so my ysoki alchemist started AV knowing it. As far as I know, this is permitted by the rules? I don't see anything explicitly forbidding uncommon languages from being known. If a character feature from ancestry/class/etc. gives you access to it, you have it, unless I'm misreading something.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I am playing a PF2E game on roll20 and it's workable but obviously vastly inferior to Foundry. Foundry does seem to have a higher barrier to entry and ultimately the DM wanted to play on Roll20 so that's what we went with, but I am planning on running a PF2E game in the future once this campaign is over and I'm hoping to switch to Foundry then (hopefully with this same group, but we'll see how it goes, we just finished a multi-year long 5E campaign so I know they're mostly solid people).

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

ZZT the Fifth posted:

I'm currently working on building a level 2 Thaumaturge and trying to decide what to use as the first implement. My basic concept for this character is that she's a princess from some small, minor kingdom who really wants to get out of her sheltered life and be an adventurer, and as such, picks hopefully-unlikely-to-be-missed bits and bobs from the the royal treasury and uses her education and the stories she's read about to become a Thaumaturge.

So far I basically have:

Human Ancestry (Versatile Heritage -> Toughness, Natural Ambition -> Diverse Lore)
STR 16, DEX 12, CON 12, INT 10, WIS 10, CHA 18
Lv1 Class Feat: Scroll Thaumaturgy
Lv1 First Implement: (up in the air - currently between the Amulet, Mirror, Regalia, and Weapon (whip, maybe?). Chalice is also on the table.)
Lv2 Class Feat: Talisman Esoterica
Lv2 Free Archetype: Sentinel Dedication (yay, heavy armor!)
Lv2 Skill Feat: Bon Mot

Unless I'm mistaken - with the weapon, if I successfully bon mot an enemy, and they try to retort, I can strike them as a reaction since the retort requires them to Concentrate, yeah? Seems like it could be a pretty good combination. The other implements seem really good as well, though, and I'm not, like.... extremely locked in on the whip.

I'm open to suggestions for the build.

One suggestion I'd make is consider Champion archetype as opposed to Sentinel; you have the Charisma for it and you still get the heavy armor. And spending free archetype feats to get Lay on Hands and Champion's Reaction is superb.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

ZZT the Fifth posted:

e:

Does this mean I have to follow edicts and anathema?

You do "have" to; I don't know how closely that would match your character concept. Mechanically it's a bit vague what happens if you violate them as an archetype, presumably it's the same as the base Champion, which is just loss of focus points and Divine Ally (you could take Champion's Resiliency instead of Lay on Hands if you were concerned about a violation). So you keep heavy armor. With that said I don't know many GMs that are overly harsh on edicts and anathema, they're more for flavor than trying to gotcha a player.

ZZT the Fifth posted:

e again: also, it was pointed out that Champion dedication would have my heavy armor proficiency fall off at higher levels - it gets trained at 2 and expert at 14, and that's it.

Unless I'm mistaken, that's true for Sentinel as well though? Sentinel would grant expert 1 level earlier and without an extra feat, but it doesn't give you master.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Oct 25, 2023

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

ZZT the Fifth posted:

Hmm. Would my thaum be better staying in medium armor and taking advantage of the archetype's specific features instead? That leaves me with Champion still, and I've also been suggested Marshal as an archetype.

Keep in mind that Armor Mastery isn't until level 19, that's pretty late in the game. Marshal looks great on paper but I can't speak to play experience; it's true that Thaumaturge is already action-hungry so overloading it with more actions to spend on things like activating auras may not work well in play.

I will say that Champion's Reaction can cover more area with the Mirror Implement, which is a neat bit of synergy.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

In fact I'm generally not happy with Abom Vaults in general and wondering why it gets so much love. It has a lot of fights in lovely, cramped locations and frequent encounters against a single hard-hitter (boring) or against stuff with save-or-suck abilities. It's starting to feel like a real grind.

I'm feeling some of this while playing my first campaign in the Abomination Vaults, though we're going in the opposite direction. We have a five-player party, and we're mostly crushing it, but I am suspecting that the DM is going easy on us. I don't think the encounters are being adjusted upward to account for an extra player, and I suspect that some numbers are being tweaked in our favor here and there.

On the one hand, I'm having fun because I feel useful; I invested in knowledge skills and dealing lots of different kinds of damage (bomber alchemist), which turns out is great to have in AV. On the other hand, a single enemy fight that's party level+2 just isn't interesting to fight over and over. Especially since a lot of them are just standing in one place, trading blows and hoping to hit while the cleric heals us.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I wonder if commander will have any ability to heal or not? Regardless I'm looking forward to the PF2E interpretations.

I really liked healing surges, thought it was a great mechanic.

I do too, though more for the "easily scalable healing" part than the "trying to pace out the adventuring day" part. The effectiveness at the latter could vary greatly, especially before the options to redistribute surges released.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Apr 19, 2024

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Yeah I'm just gonna say that the Taunt shouldn't have a save and shouldn't give enemies a bonus to attack you. Also Armored Counterattack should be a base feature instead of a level 12 feat. All in all I think the Guardian looks really bad, there's little there you can't do better with Champion. There's lots more I could say but I think it's already been said.

Commander on the other hand looks fun.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Lol ok, the Guardian's actual Mark is hidden in the class feat, as a one action feat at level 2:

HAMPERING SWEEPS FEAT 2
GUARDIAN
You make it difficult for enemies to move away from you once they have gotten close. Until the beginning of your next turn or until you move, whichever comes first, foes within reach of the weapon you are wielding or your unarmed attack can’t use move actions to move outside of the reach of your weapon or unarmed attack. They can still move to other squares within reach of your weapon or unarmed attack.

So yeah, this is a must take if you want to actually lock down the big boss monsters. It's also pretty busted IMO and I'm saying that as somebody who wants to see the class work.

That feat is imo the best thing about the class

Edit: As a level 2 feat though it'd be pretty easy to archetype for if it stays the way it is, and the dedication will probably grant heavy armor proficiency

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Apr 29, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Tattoo Transformation is a good ability to put on a familiar if you're just looking to get an extra passive benefit of some kind and don't want to worry about tracking it.