Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
If you're a Strength Ranger is there a maximum Dex score that you shouldn't bother going over?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
Thank you, just hit lvl 5 and initially took Dex from 14 to 16, but wanted to be sure it was worth it.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Chevy Slyme posted:

Yeah, 16 Dex on a Str ranger almost certainly not a priority choice. Assuming 3 of your other boosts are Str/Con/Wis (they should be), you're basically choosing between:

+1 Reflex (already your best save remember) and +1 to dex based skills
+1 to Int based skills, and another whole trained skill (IMO this is usually the best choice at 5)
or
+1 to Cha based skills (which, IMO, Deception/Intimidate are probably the two best/most important skill rolls to keep high and sharp from a pure combat charop perspective so...)

I'd usually go Int or Cha, but Dex isn't horribly wrong at that point. The big thing is that at character creation, 12 is best, and 14 is fine and 16 is extremely questionable.

Decided to up Int instead and take crafting as my character just pissed off the remaining blacksmith in town so we're going to need someone to help install and transfer weapons runes.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Rythian posted:

I play digitally, so I'll be using the Foundry VTT module. I've heard nothing but good things about Foundry itself, and the official Beginner Box module.

Not quite sure what to do after the Beginner's Box though. Troubles in Otari follows afterwards, but that will get my party to level 5, where Abomination Vaults looks like it should start at level 1 or 2. Maybe I should just go directly to AV, but I like the idea of really establishing Otari as a home base with TIO in between.

I suppose I could scale AV up a little in the beginning, not sure how hard it would be. I've DM'd a couple of years of 5e so I know my way around numbers and how to tweak and homebrew stuff there, but PF2e is new to me.

I'm playing in an AV campaign and my DM has been sprinkling in Troubles in Otari quests whenever we're back in town. It's always a little obvious cause we loving destroy the enemies in those bits but its fun to be so overpowered every once in a while.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Jack B Nimble posted:

Hmmn. Not really looking for evilish. Curse of Strahd but PF2 is basically what I'm looking for, isn't there one with a spoooooky carnival?

The Mosquito Witch PFS adventure is a one shot that is pretty spooky. I ran it last Halloween mostly successfully. The ending is a little flat but since then in the Monsters and Myths book they’ve released more Mosquito Witch content that you can probably incorporate. I haven’t actually gotten around to reading it myself though.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
I hate how much Paizo values the familiar for the Witch, they really think it's worth lowering the overall power of the Witch and I just don't see it. Familiars kind of suck and I just can't see the use for them outside of flavor.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
Do you need the Magical Crafting feat to transfer a rune from one weapon to another? Even if you don't need Magical Crafting, do you need to be an expert in crafting to transfer runes? You definitely need to be expert to create runes. I'm very unclear on the requirements are to transfer runes.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Toshimo posted:

There's dozens of pages of back-and-forth on the Paizo forums, reddit, etc. because they wrote the rune transfer rules both vague and bad and have never bothered to clean them up with errata. The PFS OP rules are just "take it to an NPC who waived the labor charge" because people needed a solution. In practice, the answer is: There's no good reason to gate this from your players in any way because it's a fundamental part of system math, so just let them do it as needed.

That was my impression thank you.

I'm looking forward to Treasure Vault and the alternative crafting rules they promised in it. Hopefully they are an actual improvement!

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Enos Cabell posted:

The Paizo Foundry APs are so good it almost makes me wish my group would quit playing in person again lol

I'm glad one of my group lives out of town from the rest of us so we have a good excuse to keep using Foundry.

I'm a Kingmaker backer and I am extremely excited to see what the Foundry module ends up looking like, despite the fact that half my pledge was the Pawn Box and Maps and poo poo.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
As a player and as a GM I don't care if we level up in the middle of the dungeon but I do prefer to have the actual leveling up process happen between sessions so people can take their time researching their options.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
Ambient sounds are some of the coolest things in the foundry models. No major spoilers but there we've run into quite a few in Abomination Vaults and every time is exciting.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Chevy Slyme posted:

Crafters Eyepiece is as mandatory as level appropriate weapon and armor runes.

Beyond that, the Backfire Mantle specifies splash damage from alchemical items, but if you want to houserule something similar for inventor explosions/splashes, it would probably be a welcome thing for both the Inventor, AND his melee friends.

A lot of the Companion Items https://2e.aonprd.com/Equipment.aspx?Category=41&Subcategory=43 Provide nice bits of utility or roleplay fun and would work well w/ a construct innovation as well.

Beyond that, it’s the usual mix of items that anyone would want. For consumables, have a look at Gadgets as flavorful alternatives to potions and talismans. https://2e.aonprd.com/Equipment.aspx?Category=15&Subcategory=71

That Backfire Mantle is sick, my party has a bomb happy alchemist so we all definitely need to save up and buy some of those.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
Yeah that's worded oddly. I would assume its an either/or, either the effect of Cling triggers on a reaction or as part of the attack but it doesn't use the reaction as part of the attack.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Lurks With Wolves posted:

(Also, the old system isn't still being supported so people could make new characters with it. It's so people who made characters with the old system don't feel obligated to completely rework their statline to stay rules-compliant. It's the computer running Windows 98 you keep around for legacy purposes, it's not something you want people to actually use.)

Not entirely though, because it looks like the Flaw system is being relegated to an entirely RP choice even if you're using the old Ability Score rules. People who take flaws so their tertiary stat can be a 14 instead of a 12 can't do that anymore which can lock them out of archetypes, armor or reduce their HP by a significant amount depending on how they arranged their stats.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Toshimo posted:

Idk I just don't think it's as big a deal as you guys are making it that the one specific 18/16/14/12/8/8 statline doesn't exist anymore.

Like I would rather die than have 2 8's but it completely invalidates the build my partner is playing right now and that's kind of bullshit.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Jarvisi posted:

Abomination vaults takes place in the same town as the beginner box if you just want to continue that! It is a incredibly highly rated mega dungeon

AV also allows for a lot of downtime between trips into the Dungeon since there's not an immediate time crunch pressuring you to go go go. My DM has been able to weave in a lot of our parties backstory stuff and let us do trips to Absalom and stuff because of the structure of the AP. We're somewhere in Book 2 right now.

It's a good AP so far!

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

M. Night Skymall posted:

Everyone should just start with the foundry Abomination Vaults module though, new 2.0 version of that is amazing.

Speaking of this, I couldn't actually find a changelog to see what the difference between 1.2 and 2.0 is. Can someone give me a link or a summary if the link has spoilers.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
My group has done a few of the TiO quests, I believe. They haven't been crazy interesting or challenging but they are a nice break from delving the dungeon and makes the town feel a little bigger.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
I used Wanderer's Guide for a while, back when Pathbuilder was android only and it was fine. Sometimes I'd have to refresh a few times to get it to work.

Once Pathbuilder got web browser functionality I haven't gone back. I don't use either at the table though, we play in Foundry and I use all of that functionality for active management. I use Pathbuilder for build planning.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Saxophone posted:

Do we have a Starfinder thread? I looked but didn’t find one. A friend might be DMing it and I thought I’d read up and get general advice. I’m mulling some character builds and currently ‘Dumb as bricks bro goes viral for making GBS threads his pants in public, and is now attempting to capitalize on it by live-posting his hijinks and space adventures’ or as the DM said ‘a character literally posting through it.’ Is winning.

My partner's character in the Starfinder campaign we played in pre-pandemic was a boy band member who was going to livestream his adventures while the group was on hiatus. It was supposed to be a happy funtime romp but then we all almost died and the universe almost ended and now he's an emotional mess. Our GM is a monster :allears:

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Syrinxx posted:

Starfinder has great lore, setting, APs, everything.... and it's a good system* that iterates nicely on PF1. It feels like Pathfinder 1.5e, but after years of PF2 it's hard to step backwards into that.

I'd buy the poo poo out of Starfinder 2e that uses the same rules and mechanics as Pathfinder 2e. Or even some decent conversions

*except space combat which sucks

I have yet to play a space game where space combat is fun. I hope it gets solved at some point. It's just hard because if everyone doesn't have their own dogfighters you have to find a way to make a party equally enjoy being part of a crew.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Chevy Slyme posted:

Ancestry/Heritage: Elf (Cavern Elf)
Background: Necromancer's Apprentice
Class: Barbarian
(Optional) 2nd Level Archetype Ghoul*

I like this a lot.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

MonsterEnvy posted:

There is a thing called the forge that hosts and I remember it being cheap.

Yeah I pay... some amount of money for The Forge.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Roadie posted:

It's not because the rules are 'slightly different', it's because for most classes they're just boring. There are lots of examples, but the most obvious is the optimal operative, whose course of action every single turn in combat for the entire campaign is to move and trick attack with a single minmaxed skill.

My groups biggest gripe with Starfinder is we had an Envoy and an Operative and it felt like everything the Envoy did, the Operative could do better plus it could do more damage. Like both had abilities to make it easier for the group to hit enemies but they were the same type of bonus so they didn't stack etc.

We haven't played since pre-pandemic and I don't think the Envoy was truly optimized so I may not be remembering exactly how it all went but there was definitely some frustration.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

sugar free jazz posted:

???????????

do you actually think making a joke means i was talkin about poo poo in bad faith for pages? is this what debate and discussion is like or something? im so confused

i want paizo to make a good crafting system that's fun, interesting and worthwhile to use because their current system sucks rear end. crafting cool poo poo rules and it seems like the type of thing they could do well. no i do not have a system that has figured this out in mind, but i hope paizo does, and i hope they themselves do it for their own ruleset. thing is bad currently, i would like them to instead make it good.

There’s alternative crafting rules coming out in the Treasure Vault book coming this month. Hopefully they are good, but Toshimo has a point that crafting can easily and frequently become a thing where one player monopolizes the game with minutiae and the rest of the party twiddles their thumbs.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Chevy Slyme posted:

So there’s a new archetype in the Gatewalkers AP that seems extremely cool, but also, like so many of the mechanical options found in APs, reads like it was never even looked at for a second by an editor from the design team to figure out if this poo poo works properly, mechanically.

https://2e.aonprd.com/Archetypes.aspx?ID=199

The two issues that leap out at me at first read:

The Basic/Expert/Master spellcasting feats provide new spells known but they don’t provide spell slots/Basic/Expert/Master spellcasting benefits. Basically, you learn spells but never get any way to cast them.

And then you have feats like Starlight Armor which just straight up doesn’t have a duration for an extremely strong effect.

It’s just lazy stuff that even 30 seconds of proofreading from someone whose primary goal is rule consistency would have caught.

The rules for archetypes in general establish that spellcasting archetypes give slots with each Basic/Expert/Master feat:

https://2e.aonprd.com/Rules.aspx?ID=167

I don't have a clue as to the Armor feat though.

sugar free jazz posted:

you cannot make a system that is completely unable to be abused by assholes! literally just talk to your gm and/or the other players like an adult! that is a player problem and should be handled like any other problem player behavior!

It's not an rear end in a top hat thing it's just intrinsic that crafting is boring unless you're the one doing it and sometimes even then. Like full stop.

I don't even know why you're having a meltdown about crafting of all things. You're mad that the crafting rules as is are bad, which no one disagrees with, but you're also arguing with everyone about it?

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

VikingofRock posted:

That's clearly what's intended, but the relevant feats don't actually say that you gain the basic spellcasting benefits, as feats typically do for other spellcasting archetypes. Between that and the armor feat, it does feel like this was lazy editing to me.

Ah true, I didn't look up if there was a typical way of notating the benefits in other archetypes, just assumed that Basic implied the benefits. I mean, it does, but it's better for things to be spelled out than not. I don't think anyone not being deliberately obtuse would argue that you can't cast those spells because it doesn't say you get slots but the armor is a big deal since there's nothing that gives us context about it's duration.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Chevy Slyme posted:

Every other spellcasting archetype EITHER
1) refers explicitly to granting basic/expert/master spellcasting benefits.

OR

2) explicitly provides some other mechanism for managing spells and slots (see: Captivator with it’s weird innate casting, or Red Mantis Assassin with it’s oddball spellbook for examples.)

There is no spellcasting archetype for which it is implicitly assumed as you’re clsiming here.

Compare:

Or

To

For a system whose main selling points include the extremely clearly defined and carefully curated system of keywords and the lack of rules ambiguity that that creates, this represents, at minimum, pretty slapdash editing. You can say the intent is clear, but I don’t know that it actually is, given that the other spellcasting archetypes either include the spellcasting benefits text, or explicitly include alternative text. This archetype just does neither.

The intent is clear. You're being, as I said, deliberately obtuse. You have a real argument about the armor, stick with that.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Chevy Slyme posted:

There’s a difference between being deliberately obtuse and saying “this is how it works and it’s bad but at my table I go by RAWWWWWWW”, which you seem to think I’m doing, and saying “hey, this is an editing issue, it’s not done the way they’ve always done it, and that’s bad because consistency and key wording are kind of the whole point of why this system is good and functional”

You're right I was reading an adversarial slant to your posts that wasn't there, my bad. I was also indirectly objecting to calling it "lazy" editing since I highly doubt any of the actual editors involved were being lazy and were more likely to have been rushed or overworked but that still results in an issue.

Cyouni posted:

The intent is actually only semi-clear, because master spellcasting benefits usually only include 8th level, whereas the archetype goes up to 9th.

There's a solid argument that it should be akin to Captivator, which also gets 9th level spells, that it's supposed to be an innate slot, but the archetype itself specifies that it's spontaneous.

(I'd assume the armour is either 1 or 10 min duration since that's pretty standard, but that's the difference between being able to precast it or not.)

That's interesting, goes to show that I should have looked at the whole archetype, though without knowing/remembering about the Captivator I wouldn't have had a reason to think differently.

Which goes to prove Chevy Slyme's point that there is an editing issue since now there's two alternate readings with solid justification.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

LaSquida posted:

Hey folks. I'm about to start a Pathfinder 2e game that's going to be running through Abomination vaults and I'm very excited.

I'm making a fighter, and I really like the fact they're great at using just about any weapon they pick up right out of the gate. I really like the idea of playing a character who uses a ton of different weapons rather than monofocusing on one. However, if I do this am I going to be a detriment to the party/notably underpowered as we level up? Between specialization and magic item costs, is this just asking for trouble?

One thing that may or may not matter depending on your GM is that weapons can be heavy especially if you're rocking two hand weapons. My ranger had to trade in his longbow for a shortbow mostly to save on bulk since range is not his primary weapon. It is handy to have every damage type covered though. My main weapon is a bastard sword and I bought a spiked gauntlet and a regular gauntlet so I have all three physical damage types covered.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Hugoon Chavez posted:

:argh: Faulty algorithm :argh:

I'm just getting into Pathfinder in general (well, I've been at it for a month or so, but since I don't get to play or run it, I'm till 'just getting into it') and I've been reading up on Golarion. Pleasantly surprised with the setting as a whole, you can tell Paizo knows their stuff just by the sheer amount of open threads and interesting info they drop throughout the books. Lost Omens #1 has been an interesting read so far and it's made me want to explore the world a lot as a GM.

What are some cool facts or occurrences in your Golarion that you'd like to share? Would love to read stories and anecdotes from people more familiar with the world than me and I know that there's bound to be some good ones ITT.

I don't know a lot about Golarion but, spoilers(?) from a 1E AP our real world Anastasia is alive and well in Golarion and the AP this information comes from has a book titled "Rasputin Must Die!"

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Rescue Toaster posted:

I mean I'll concede that my players don't really have the hang of pf2e tactics.

But also I'm hearing "Oh your party didn't plan their characters and progression to have synergy and debuf for each other? And they aren't setup to kite bosses endlessly while still dealing damage? Get rekt."

And my problem isn't the boss's -10 MAP attack, it's the -0 attack that crits like crazy and drops every character except a tank to dying 2 instantly from full health. The squishies are definitely not just hanging out next to monsters, but always staying past two move actions to deny even a single attack for the entire fight isn't always possible.

EDIT: To be clear, I did kick this off by specifying that Foundry is absolutely trying to loving kill my players. Crit crit crit crit crit crit crit for the first 4 sessions. I've never seen so many crits in 20+ years of playing D&D. Both the barbarian and any of the solo/duo monsters have just been absolutely going insane with crits. If there's not at least one crit every round it's extremely unusual.

You probably should be hitting solo bosses with a weak template if you have a 3 person party. If the healer has to use their turn to prop up one of the other players every turn then only half of a normal party is making any sort of progress on taking down the enemy.

The thing to remember is that when an encounter says Severe they mean it, and sometimes the designers put too many Severe encounters in when there should have been more lower difficulty encounters, especially in the earlier APs.

Edit: And I have seen foundry be very swingy, I swear I went two sessions where I whiffed every attack but 2 or 3 and those 2 or 3 were crits, it was insane.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

CottonWolf posted:

If they carry on the tradition of giving at least one new class in a rule book, this seems like the perfect excuse for Shifter. That would leave Inquisitor as the last heavily requested class.

This isn't the GenCon book for next year so no classes in this one. They always save classes for the GenCon release and they always do a playtest for classes. See this post by the Paizo marketing director if you don't believe me: https://paizo.com/community/blog/v5748dyo6siay?Grandmother-s-Story-Part-5-The-Howl-of-the-Wild#20

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Arivia posted:

the best place to look for this info is paizo's web store - if it's in stock it should also be in stock at other retailers. if it's not in stock, paizo staff will likely discuss when they've ordered the next printing for in the comments to the page.

I have Aaron Shanks' Post History bookmarked on my phone because he answers a lot of these questions, case in point he posted the other day that the Pocket Edition will not be reprinted due to the revised core set coming out.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

mind the walrus posted:

Idk half a decade and my games are popular enough to have waiting lists and callback rosters. Maybe not the crowd you respect but it seems to work with someone.

:jerkbag:

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Government Handjob posted:

My group is starting Abomination Vaults tomorrow, too. I'll be playing a 17 year old orphan out of the Puddles who is heavily into stories about the Roseguard and so becomes a swashbuckler (wit style).
Basically a cheeky Norville Roberts who is really into parkour and bladed weapons.

Really excited to weaponize my puns.

You're almost a mishmash of two of my party members, one is a young human monk from Absalom who is obsessed with the Rosegaurd and the other is a Wit style Catfolk Swashbuckler.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

pearly white spindle aeon stones are the poo poo

The best, makes life so much simpler.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

The Slack Lagoon posted:

So far a Druid, Rogue, Barbarian, Witch, and possibly 1 TBD

Hopefully the TBD doesn't choose Bard because those two classes can overlap hard and the Bard comes out superior.

The problem with Witch is they balanced the class as if the familiar abilities are worth the power nerf of the other aspects when familiars suck actually so it's just a nerf for no reason. Hopefully they fix that in the remaster, preferably by moving away from familiar garbage(they won't they're going to tweak familiars to make them "better" but I just don't think that's possible).

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Facebook Aunt posted:

The familiar is a big part of the flavor though. They aren't going to get rid of that. Some players really really like having a pet.

Yeah sure but the familiars don't really do a whole lot. Paizo needs to either really bump up the usefulness of familiars or acknowledge that Hexes should be more effective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
Things start feeling better by Level 5 when they get 3rd level spells. Wands and Staves are a must as well.