Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Does the importer import maps?

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Pasha posted:

How does PF2E handle encounters? Is there an XP budget (or something similar)?

Yes. There’s an XP budget based off of difficulty and number of PCs and you choose enemies and hazards to fit that budget. Both enemies and hazards follow mathematically solid design systems, so it hangs together very well.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Blockhouse posted:

yeah I agree but I like that Golarion is just every-loving-thing in one setting, having to co-exist

I think the 2e version just feels less afraid to have poo poo crossover.

I think they're a little emboldened that they have a player base that's bought into the setting, not just "new 3.5 rules" so they can do stuff like focus on Alkenstar and Nidal, and that Pathfinder 2e is also a much easier rules framework for them to bring this stuff in than Pathfinder 1e was.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I'm playing a goblin grandma investigator in an upcoming game. I'm basically gonna be Columbo but everyone gets "tea" with unidentifiable bits in it. "Trust me sweety, it's good for your heart."

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I'd note that hyphz specifically seems to have problems interacting with rules and treating other people like regular human beings while playing so I would take this all with a giant pile of salt, your experience will very likely differ greatly.

e: to be clear i'm not trying to be mean. it is a recurring trend in specifically the general chat thread where hyphz complains about an RPG being broken or not working and the problem turns out to be "hyphz interprets the rules/fiction very weirdly" or "hyphz cannot treat other people as people", including with some of these complaints about the AP.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Sep 8, 2022

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Andrast posted:

It's fine and not going to break anything

I guess it might be somewhat overtuned if the player is specifically a shapeshifting focused druid?

yeah paizo says they're gonna errata it https://twitter.com/paizo/status/1416064818637725698

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Hunter Noventa posted:

My group is going to try out a PF2 game (we're running Trouble in Otari) but something about creating a character higher than level 1 has me a little stumped. This whole 'permanent item' concept doesn't feel very well explained on the wiki, so it'd be great if someone could explain what it means when you're starting at level 2 with a "Level 1 Item" and 20-odd GP.

An item is anything that's not a one-time use consumable, like a potion or an elixir. This is one of those cases where it's much easier to suss this out looking at the printed rulebook since it's got nice tables breaking down consumable versus permanent items by level.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
3.5/PF1e did not have "the rules are the physics of the game world," that's a common misconception but it's absolutely not a physics-simulationist system, far from it.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

jiffypop45 posted:

Does slow stack? My gm ruled it that it does today but, I can't find anything online to support that. (It was in my favor so I wasnt going to complain at the time but dropping an npc from 3 to 1 or even 0 feels unbalanced)

Yes, it does, it's very clear in the condition's definition in the CRB: https://2e.aonprd.com/Conditions.aspx?ID=35

e: unless you mean applying slow 1 multiple times and it going slow 1>2>3 which doesn't work that way, see https://2e.aonprd.com/Rules.aspx?ID=774

Arivia fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Nov 21, 2022

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

jiffypop45 posted:

My sorcerer casts slow. They are slowed 1. They have one less action. My sorcerer casts slow again. Do they have 2 less actions now?

No. See redundant conditions in the second link.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
It's not super difficult to support having four good stats in Pathfinder 2e (presuming one is Wisdom) due to how ability boosts work. Things even out in the long-run except for your #1 stat and you're getting increases to four stats as that happens.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Midig posted:

I ask because I remember back when getting into Pathfinder 1e. Finding niche rules was hard and incredibly unintuitive. Information that I felt like should have been lumped together might be 40 pages across from each other. I was also new when I started playing that. But any reassurance that stuff is easier to find, easier to organize would be nice. Granted that its truthful.

Going from that timestamp, I think he's poorly criticized it.

He's not talking about spelling, grammar, or clarity editing - he's speaking about the size of the core rulebook, and that's a debatable point (the model for pathfinder being two books to play the core game versus D&D's three), but it's importantly not what the idea of a "poorly edited" book generally means. Layout is well done, the Core Rulebook is very well proofread and copy edited, and you're not finding tons of mistakes or parts that disagree with each other (there have been a good variety of errata/updates but the vast majority of those are not for errors as people are discussing here.)

His second part is about layout, and he really doesn't say much. He quotes a reddit post that is fundamentally wrong - it's not his argument, it's the first one he got from a google search. And to explain why, I'll tell you about the great leap ahead in layout in the Pathfinder 2e CRB - a very nice combined glossary/index at the back. The index actually works! It's simple and directs you to where stuff is perfectly fine. But it also contains glossary entries for traits, essential game rules and so on, so you often don't even need to jump to something from the index, it's just IN the index. However, using that index also tells us his quoted example is incorrect - looking up crafting tells me it's literally a skill use under the craft skill, I flip over there and indeed it is, with the basic rules and guidelines right there. Earn Income is a separate thing that everyone can do using Craft or another skill, and which in terms of fiction can include crafting items, but if a PC is actually making a notable item, it's just Craft. Now, feats and the items themselves might add additional complications to the basic craft skill use, but it's reasonable for those to be separate.

However, for your first while as you learn Pathfinder 2e it's likely you'll still find yourself flipping through the book a bunch. Most everything in the game uses a set of interlocking traits to describe how it works (with the traits receiving writeups in the text as appropriate and then also in the index glossary), so you'll be looking at say a feat and checking its traits to figure out how it really works. The difference from Pathfinder 1e is that Pathfinder 1e had a lot of corner cases and extra rules scattered about everywhere to internalize - in Pathfinder 2e as you learn the traits that's all you need to learn. There's no extra gotchas. Do you need a hand free to perform an action? Well, instead of there being a line in every action about whether you need a hand or two free, it's just whether it has the Manipulate trait or not. If you learn how the manipulate trait works, now you can understand everything else. So it's a lot to learn and a lot to connect up front, but once you've learned the game, you don't need to continually be checking for corner cases or weird poo poo like you did in Pathfinder 1e. Stuff just works, again and again and again. It's a very solid, very easy system to run once you learn it.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Vanguard Warden posted:

Oof, very much not a fan of what they've done to voluntary flaws. Instead of an option for characters to gain two flaws in trade for an additional ancestry boost, something that was very helpful for characters with complicated ability score requirements, now you can just... Gain more flaws with absolutely no benefit if you want to make your character strictly worse. Why did anyone think this was a good idea?

Because you can now use the new option to just take a boost to any two ability scores of your choice to do it without any extra finagling.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Harold Fjord posted:

What parts of PF fall under OGL?

All of the rules for the actual RPG. It’s in literally every product.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Doing 4e style diagonals is explicitly supported in the GMG, too.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Rescue Toaster posted:

Hey in pathfinder 2e is there a concept of monster templates? In 4e there were all these mechanics to add some class features to a monster, like if you had a group of goblins and quick wanted to make them a little more unique, you could template a couple of them to clerics/shaman and a couple rangers or something. Of course that was a little easier with how D&D 4e's powers worked.

I guess the closest analogue in pf2e would be something like applying an archetype to a creature. That's not quite the right idea because they included specific powers and abilities rather than just feats, of course. Just thematically that's sort of the idea. Just wondering if there's any mechanics like that anywhere that I'm not finding? The only thing I've seen is monster templates that sort of turn something into a skeleton or zombie or an 'elite' version of a critter, but don't really add powers/unique abilities for the most part.

Look at the "class abilities" sidebar from the GMG about creating NPCs, you'll have to scroll down a bit here but it's the same thing https://2e.aonprd.com/Rules.aspx?ID=1042

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

queeb posted:

yeah i am quickly discovering how much is involved in DMing a system i've never played before. But man this beginner box owns and so far im kinda loving the systems, this 3 action setup is dope.

it seems like encounter building is easier too?

Encounter building works much, much better than in 5e yes.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Base Emitter posted:

That does sound better than the other options, thanks.

We’re definitely starting at first level, starting at high levels sounds suicidal for me as gm, and would probably be rough for the less crunchy members of the group. But the group wants to have a long term plan.

Beginner box - troubles in Otari/abomination vaults - this new AP would take you from 1-20 with little narrative or gameplay trouble

(This new AP starts in Absalom, the City at the Center of the World right by Otari)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Cassa posted:

Are there any good monster building tools? Speaking of 4e I still have great memories of the DM encounter building tools.

This is a highly recommended encounter builder: https://builder.pf2easy.com

This is the best online monster builder I know of, it follows the guidelines from the GMG https://monster.pf2.tools

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Facebook Aunt posted:

Thanks guys. Sounds like my best bet might be to go to a physical store and look at them to see which one works better for my elderly genx eyes.

Yep. They're literally the same book, only difference is size/cover/sometimes minor changes (ie one would have some new errata the other wouldn't, but any such errata is easily available for free on paizo's website). They've been doing them for idk, probably close to a decade now. They're great. Honestly, due to the weight the digest paperbacks feel more sturdy than the hardcovers - both my PF1e and PF2e big hardcover CRBs feel pretty flimsy back there.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Russad posted:

My group is currently in a 5E campaign, but I'm interested in moving to PF2E for our next adventure. I'd also like to move from Roll20 to Foundry. I know that Paizo has committed to supporting Foundry moving forward, but it looks like the currently ported adventure paths is fairly small. I know there's a PDF converter for version 9 of Foundry, but it's not clear to me what that actually does. I own a ton of stuff thanks to various Humble Bundles, so I've got options to import, but up to this point I've only spun out modules for my group, and am not particularly interested in the extra work load of setting up tokens for encounters, etc.

Realistically, based on how often we meet and how far along we are in our current adventure, I don't expect this to happen for probably at least another year. By that time I'm sure there will be more APs available, etc. But if I wanted to run something like Strength of Thousands, I'm just wondering how much work it would be to get that up and running without a Paizo published adventure.

The PDF importer will take your Paizo-official Strength of Thousands PDFs and set up maps, tokens, etc. It works very very well. They only stopped doing it for the modules Paizo themselves are selling on Foundry, it's excellent for everything else.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Saxophone posted:

Do we have a Starfinder thread? I looked but didn’t find one. A friend might be DMing it and I thought I’d read up and get general advice. I’m mulling some character builds and currently ‘Dumb as bricks bro goes viral for making GBS threads his pants in public, and is now attempting to capitalize on it by live-posting his hijinks and space adventures’ or as the DM said ‘a character literally posting through it.’ Is winning.

What little discussion there ever was about it was in the old Pathfinder thread.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

XenoCrab posted:

I'm glad that I bought so much LEGO recently that I was able to hold off buying a bunch of TTRPG PDFs for a couple weeks at full price. Now all the PDFs are mine!

An unrelated follow-up, what advice would any of you give to someone who is basically starting at zero with TTRPGs but thinks Pathfinder looks like something that would be super fun to GM and/or play and now has a bunch of the resources needed to make that happen?

Two extra bits of information:
1) I've played ~4 one-shot sessions of D&D in my life
2) I have a handle on the basic rules of PF2e and have run some basic encounters on paper by myself to see the rules in motion (which was surprisingly stressful and involved a lot of rereading rules and looking up actions/effects/etc...)

Beginner Box. Playing solo is fine, but playing with others increases the complexity a lot.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

AnEdgelord posted:

So through a combination of my current obsession with the Wrath of the Righteous game and everyone online talking about Pathfinder 2e I've decided to try my hand at starting up a PF2e game among some local friends and, while I'm not new to dming I do have a few questions about PF2e, its product line and the free online resources:

1. My plan is to run a game of the Beginner Box into Abomination Vaults (with an eye on potentially taking that into Fist of the Ruby Phoenix if all goes well) and while I know the Beginner Box will have paper mats for us to use minis/pawns on I don't see anything out there for Abomination Vaults. I could get a blank mat with some wet-erase markers and do it myself but I'd prefer to have my players look at the nicely detailed art instead of some marker lines. I found some pdf files of the Abomination Vaults maps online (https://www.reddit.com/r/Pathfinder2e/comments/nnpfsl/abomination_vaults_remade_maps_for_all_3_books/) but am unsure about how I would go about turning them into a playable surface.

In the past Paizo has released battlemaps or poster maps to go with some of their adventure paths, but Abomination Vaults isn't one of them. You'd either want to take those files and get a printing shop to print them out for you large format (1 square = 1 inch), or yeah, just use markers and stuff on a battlemat.

quote:

2. With the humble bundle up I'm looking at a big savings for a lot of the books I want but since I'm going to be playing in person a pdf is actually a little more awkward to use than a physical book I can flip through unless I buy a cheap tablet to read them on, my phone isn't going to cut it. My big question for it though is what it means for the pawn collections to be "digital only" since they're supposed to be cardboard popouts and I have no idea how you would use them if they're a pdf file instead.

The pawn collection PDFs give you the art, so you could possibly print it out and fit it into a standee or something yourself. They're more useful to copy art from for playing digitally, IMO. The physical pawn collections were great, but Paizo's stopped producing them due to the current state of the world (shipping + materials costs).

Arivia fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Feb 3, 2023

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Iron Heart posted:

So I'm a book-learner who abhors SRD sites. I just picked up the third tier of the Humble Bundle package for Pathfinder 2e. I have limited space on my phone and some of these titles are less than indicative. Which books are worth reading through before I consider joining a game? (I have a background of ten years in tabletop spaces, so I'm not asking for anyone to read the book to me, just explain which useful things outside core are found where.)

Core rulebook - advanced player’s guide - the rules variants chapter of the gamemastery guide are the big ones.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Lamuella posted:

It does mean they're perhaps undercutting roll20 as you can upload the book rather than buying the module, but the modules are already discounted.

Paizo has generally always offered discounts on buying modules for use on VTTs if you already own the PDF, anyway.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Toshimo posted:

They got you on the calculation, but I'd highly recommend considering milestone leveling over tracking XP rewards.

It's important to learn those rules for encounter design even if you're doing milestone levelling, and a lot of new people are probably looking at the beginner box, which very prominently introduces them to GMs as part of creating situations (such as highlighting an XP bonus for turning off a trap)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Yeah I meant to ask about that at some point too. I figured maybe after running the Beginner's Box adventure would be a good time to do that instead.

If you move into Troubles In Otari or Abomination Vaults, those are pretty milestone friendly as written.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Boba Pearl posted:

Are there spell cards? Like can I buy a deck of cards for my players so that they can hold their prepared spells in their hands?

yep! https://paizo.com/store/pathfinder/accessories/cards pretty expensive though

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

M. Night Skymall posted:

The worst part is as far as I can tell they hardly converted anyone from PF1E to PF2E anyway. The 1E subreddit basically ran off anyone trying to talk about 2E on it until they made a new 2E subreddit. Most of their influx of new players are coming from 5E, though tbf there're just so many 5E players they dwarf any other demographic anyway. They should have just made the game they wanted, those grogs were never going to play it.

I think this is really uncharitable. Stuff like free archetype and automatic bonus progression was never even presented as part of the playtest from what I remember (it certainly wasn't in the playtest rulebook or doomsday dawn, and the other playtest adventure the public got to try was focusing on attunement), and even if it was, it's okay for them to be variants instead of part of the basic rules. Part of what makes Pathfinder 2e compelling is its flexibility while remaining mechanically/mathematically strong, and while the options you like fit your playstyle, they don't work for everyone. Conversely, I've been having a lot of fun and success with suggesting Pathfinder 2e in OSR spaces, because proficiency without level facilitates really good old-school style play without taking away from the system's strengths.

The Pathfinder 1e reddit was absolutely hostile towards 2e, but that doesn't reflect the larger community that was playing Pathfinder 1e. Paizo very clearly aimed at their enfranchised player base who were interested in Golarion and Paizo's products, not just "more 3.5", as part of 2e, and it was successful for them commercially and creatively (they were up front about Pathfinder 2e doing very well commercially before this whole thing with WotC trying to kill the OGL and people jumping ship). There's more people playing Pathfinder 2e than just "5e converts" and there's more people not playing it than just "grogs."

e: to be clear, this is responding to "the optional systems i like [automatic bonus progression and free archetypes] should be part of the core rules and they only aren't because gently caress grogs" not "well the system should accommodate me only having a 14 in my key stat"

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Toshimo posted:

Maybe some people like to play ttrpgs by being bumbling incompetents carried by their peers because that's what they've become accustomed to IRL.

Stop playing D&D with your boss

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Right, right, I see. Apologies for the crossed wires. When some one says "casters" my brain space goes through all editions of D&D, of which I consider Pathfinder 1e to be 3.55. And I don't know much about Pathfinder 1e's minutia, since I barely played it.

If you remember how 3.5 changed harm to dealing a truck load of damage generated by rolling dice instead of the previous "go to 1 hp", Pathfinder 1e did that to many similar spells, like disintegrate. That's the crux of the confusion right there.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

bagrada posted:

How do the pocket editions compare to the full hardcovers? Less art, smaller print? Do they just stick to the rules references and leave other stuff out?

It's the exact same, just shrunk. Look at one in person to see if you can read the smaller text before you buy your first one, but if you like it they leave nothing out.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Well, Pathfinder says you can't sell on Pathfinder Infinite if you use AI Art. That's too bad, but they're not going to be able to put the toothpaste back in the tube on this one. Eventually they'll capitulate.

no one wants that gross poo poo it's a great policy

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Lamuella posted:

So is the Treasure Vault worth getting? I'm 2 sessions into GMing a Pathfinder campaign for the first time and thus high on the idea of buying all the books. My guys are about to visit a large city, so so having options for them for shopping etc would be good, on the other hand I don't want to lay down significant cash if the items etc in the book are only so-so.

if you're looking for options for shopping, I'd pick up the grand bazaar first - it also has a lot of items, but it's got them packaged as fun shops with shopkeeper npcs to interact with, so it's more immediately gameable than the treasure vault. on the other hand treasure vault fixes alchemists apparently, so

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Oh right, I bought the condition card deck too.

Sleeve them (penny sleeves or clear inner sleeves are good), and then manually hand them to players as they get the conditions to remind them is how I did it.

Also, if you're running in person the wipe-clean/magnetic initiative tracker is worth its weight in gold. In any other system it's whatever, but in PF2e people move around initiative order a lot and it's an excellent way to keep things straight.

e: also if you're homebrewing stuff i think the chase cards are a must-have too, since that way you can lay out the chase on the play surface for everyone to see.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Mar 2, 2023

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Lamuella posted:

Ended up getting the Grand Bazaar, and I love Morhen's Mobility Apparel so much (and I bet they stock the voicebox)

I bet they do!

Also keeping track of spell components matters a lot in PF2e, since that generally determines the actions needed to cast a spell. The encumbrance system is fine, it's general enough to be okay without being super stupid.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Harold Fjord posted:

I'm not sure I understand why this needs to be a separate optional rule. Don't you just set the DC's of these itneractations appropriately anyway?

Proficiency without level removes level from EVERYWHERE proficiency is involved. So it also reduces AC, saves, attack rolls, etc. It changes easily 75% of rolls in the game. It's more than just setting DCs for skill checks.

e: https://2e.aonprd.com/Rules.aspx?ID=1370

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

pumpinglemma posted:

Does anyone know if there are any third-party bases compatible with Pathfinder pawns? Apparently Paizo have just stopped shipping them to the UK or something, I can find pawns for the adventure path I want to run but boxes of bases don't exist any more except for stupid prices on eBay. (Is it even worth getting pawns at this stage, or is the whole line just hosed? I'm a new GM so I have no existing minis to fall back on.)

The whole line has been cancelled. If you can’t find a Pathfinder 2 bestiary 1 box (which comes with bases), don’t bother - the adventure path pawn collections are additions that require the bestiary box, they don’t include all the monsters and NPCs in and of themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

The Golux posted:

Why would they cancel pawns/bases?

Pandemic economy changes to the price of shipping and paper made them incredibly expensive to produce. They were printed on THICK card stock, a box or folio of bestiary pawns is 5 pounds of just cardboard.