Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

StashAugustine posted:

Out of curiosity how appropriate is Pathfinder for running am Eberron game? It seems like an interesting system but idk how easy it'd be to reflavor to some of the specifics of the setting, especially Artificers
An Inventor who sinks all his feats into Alchemist dedication is basically and Artificer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I've always found that website to be so slow
Apparently they've been having server issues for months but things have been working better recently

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Is 8 PCs too many for PF2e? I have an upcoming campaign with potentially that many players

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
I'm looking hard at the Kineticist playtest for my upcoming Eberron Pathfinder game.

Gonna very much enjoy being a viking hobgoblin with water powers

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Eastmabl posted:

So before I buy it, Mwangi Expanse isn't "Paizo does a racism duct-taped to a bigotry", right?
The Mwangi Expanse is Paizo deliberately un-racisming central Garund

It's great, highly recommend

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Skeletons have a ton of flavorful and powerful options. I can kinda tell whoever wrote it had a blast.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Toshimo posted:

Yeah, but should that compete against class features like crafting alchemy items or scribing spells?
In a protracted campaign? Yeah, probably.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
no you don't

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
So if I'm an occult caster (like, say, a Bard) who takes Psychic Dedication at 2 and Basic Thoughtform at 4 to get Psi Burst, it would key off my Psychic class DC and not my Bard class DC, correct?

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Duergar Dwarf Heritage you cowards

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Syrinxx posted:

The Ghoran ancestry is pretty rad thematically and I am a sucker for cool unarmed attacks. Now I just need to find a game I can play one in

https://2e.aonprd.com/Ancestries.aspx?ID=52

e: I never played PF1 but I assume they were in it since there seems to be a lot of info about them already
I also was looking at the needles build.

Looks neat.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
If you are the kind of player who's playing a sentient puppet and tries to argue that you should be immune to bleed damage even though there's nothing in the rules to support it, then you should probably not play as a sentient puppet

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
"You could be an Intelligent-based Fighter in Dungeons and Dragons 3.5!", I say as I make a Bard with 14 Charisma in Pathfinder 2e, a game that is not Dungeons and Dragons 3.5

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Honestly, out of all of the classes to try to go against the grain on, Bard isn't the worst idea? Inspire Courage is Charisma agnostic without Lingering Performance. Multiclass into something martial-oriented, mostly cast spells that don't rely on Charisma (read: True Strike and buffs), and smash dudes with a guitar.

Optimal? Eh. A detriment to the party? Probably not.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
+1 isn't just an extra 5% chance to succeed in PF2e, it's also a 5% chance to turn a success into a critical, and a 5% chance to turn a critical failure into a failure. All the +1 / +2 bonuses floating around are way, way stronger this edition

Being down -2 in your main stat will gimp your character significantly unless you have a game plan

Froghammer fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Feb 19, 2023

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Anything Charisma focused (Sorcerer, Champion, Summoner, Bard, etc) would obviously work, but if you're going ranged then Sniping Duo is fantastic

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
I'm playing a Fighter with Blessed One and spamming Lay On Hands is very, very effective.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Weapon sizes and restrictions on small PCs are a classic example of rules as a way to preserve verisimilitude being at odds with player empowerment. One the one hand, yes, it makes sense logically that smaller races would wield smaller weapons and that the rules should reflect that.

On the other hand, halflings with 18 Strength wielding great swords is awesome and the rules shouldn't disincentivise things that are awesome

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
"Actual play podcasts are perverting the hobby, get that poo poo away from my table" has the same energy that "Storygames are perverting the hobby, get that poo poo away from my table" did ten years ago. Everything old is new again, grognards gonna grognard, gatekeepers gonna gatekeep

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Right, except for the part where you're accusing people, presumably people that you're gaming with, that they're having fun incorrectly and / or perverting the hobby

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
The fact that you'd have a violent overreaction to a player doing something they've seen in an actual play, which is how people get into this hobby in 2023, says more about you than it does about Critical Role or Matt Mercer

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Zurai posted:

Anyone who thinks CR is scripted clearly hasn't tried to sit through a shopping episode. And it's not like there aren't plenty of Actual Plays that are just actual recordings of actual people actually playing their actual real-life tabletop games, even if you're so self-absorbed that you think the professional actors are out to pervert the purity of your players. Foaming at the mouth about Actual Plays just makes you sound like a rabid stoneage grognard.
There are people on the internet playing games wrong

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Kyrosiris posted:

Honestly it seems like he's trying to do thirty seven different things at once and sucking at all of them.
This. I recall having this discussion about the same player six months ago, and (again) it sounds like trying to apply older edition logic to game where a lot of stuff is fundamentally different, so he's prioritizing the wrong things. +2 Wisdom is...not ideal, but fine for someone spamming DC 15 Medicine checks, especially when it's out of combat and other PCs can Aid more easily. He's also got Soothe and (potentially) Hymn of Healing, so it's not like he's relying entirely on Wisdom for heals. Insisting on the +3 is coming at the expense of Strength and Dex, which means his AC is pitiful unless he's compulsively raising his shield, which is eating into his action economy fairly hard.

There's a bunch of stuff he could do to fix it. Off the top of my head, switching from melee to ranged and switching from an actual shield to cantrip Shield would both bump up his AC and allow for smoother turns (Shoot + Move + Shield is almost always a solid turn, regardless of the situation). If he's an Ancestry with an unarmed attack (Ifrit has a feat that gives one if he doesn't wanna switch to being a Lizardfolk or whatever), then he can still Warp Step in to threaten flanking while not dropping his bow. That's just system talk, though. If he's stuck in his ways, then he's stuck in his ways and it's a player problem.

Froghammer fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Aug 11, 2023

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Summon Fey is a 1st level spell. If he wants to provide flanking bonuses so badly, that's what he should be doing

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Zoomies Bard man is super perplexing because, if that's a playstyle that you wanted, it's totally doable and a thing that the system allows for. A Gnome Fighter with a Flickmace and Psychic Dedication can Warp Step in, take a swing, raise their shield, and lock down everything around them with Opportunity Attacks.

Bard's one of the strongest classes in the game, with access to the strongest spell list and probably the strongest single action ability in the game. Only using it to rush in and give a +2 to a single ally's attack is completely baffling. That's not even how they worked in 5e, either. Misty Step's great, but teleporting into the fray in order to give someone a clutch flanking bonus is pretty far down in the list of useful things to do with Misty Step.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Ninja should be a Rogue Racket, Samurai should be an Archetype

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Blockhouse posted:

The thing I'd want from a samurai archetype that the pf1 version didn't really deliver on is iaijutsu poo poo

make me as anime as possible please
This sounds a lot more feasible in 2e given the action economy. Iaijutsu in 1e was limited to a single Samurai archetype that, all told, added up to it being Worse Mortal Strike. Action to sheathe + bonuses when you attack while unsheathing? Yeah, you could make an archetype out of that.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Zarick posted:

Every table I've played at enjoys the "crit fail gives you obviously false and hopefully amusing misinformation". Basically makes it the same as a regular fail but with a joke attached.

Like you're fighting a wolf and you tell them "pretty sure that's a cat".
"A wolf's teeth are famously brittle; you don't need to worry about it biting you"

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Chevy Slyme posted:

The biggest trap I’ve seen people playing a thaum fall into is forgetting that at the end of the day, you’re still a striker and you need to invest in being good at attacking.

Pick one of high Str or high Dex and set that stat to 16 at character creation. (Str is way way way way better, unless you’re doing a very specific kind of ranged build), or you’re going to have a bad time. I’ll reiterate a strong recommendation for melee for a new player because dealing with reloading is fiddly and ammunition thaumaturgy is a feat tax on top of that. (Regular bows don’t work for thaumaturge because the class is fairly specific about what is in your hands at all times, etc etc)

So a thaum will generally look something like 16/12/12/10/10/18 or 10/16/12/10/12/18.
Basically this. Thaumaturge's loop is Recall Knowledge > Wail on something until it dies > Recall Knowledge on something else. As usual for any class that can't use shields in 2e, any Ancestry that gives you a cantrip should be prioritized because Shield / Glass Shield ups survivability significantly.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
My favorite thing to do with Alchemist is to take Duelist dedication with a set of Doubling Rings so you can Quick Draw anything from bombs to poison daggers without sacrificing being a potential melee threat (are you poisoning your weapon? You should be poisoning your weapon).

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

gurragadon posted:

You're in a good position with fighter, they are awesome and a lot of fun to play in PF2e. I'd recommend trying to get flanking with the barbarian and inventor if they are melee. The -2 to enemy AC really helps with hitting, and you will crit more because of the +10-crit rule. Because your using the pick and it has the fatal d10 modifier you will really do a ton of damage on crits. I would still raise my shield as a third action pretty frequently even with reactive shield because fighters get attack of opportunity, and I would hate to miss a chance to use it.
Piggybacking on this, Reactive Shield is stronger later in combat because it makes move + double swing less of a risk. Sudden Charge lets you zoomies to get into position, which is great either early in combat when you need to get stuck in or late in combat when you need to chase down runners or disrupt things charging your backline. I've gotten a lot of use out of Sudden Charge and honestly I recommend it over Reactive Shield, but I'm also an Ancestry with access to Shield and wielding a reach weapon to maximize Opportunity Attacks Reactive Strikes, which makes getting into position more important than it would be if I were going sword and board.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

boxen posted:

I'm confused here... You need a shield raised to use shield block, and if you're using reactive shield, you didn't have a shield raised. I don't see a case (at least at low levels, I think later feats change things) where you have to pick between using your reaction to shield block or use it to raise the shield.

It seems like reactive shield is useful in a case where you didn't have an action to raise the shield, and while you won't get to use shield block you'll at least have the higher AC. And you don't HAVE to use the reaction to reactive shield, you could just take the hit and still use an AoO or whatever if the opportunity comes up.
At low levels, Fighters' average turns have very low variance. If you're going sword and board, it's almost always one of the following:

Move + Strike + Strike
Move + Strike + Shield
Strike + Strike + Shield
Strike + Strike + Strike

Reactive Shield only helps in the first and last scenarios, both of which are rather rare; you're not going to want to move and then double swing on something unless you're reasonably sure you can finish it off with those two attacks, and triple swinging is a Hail Mary.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Mending's also not a bad idea if you find yourself burning through shields, and I'm a huge fan of Blood Vendetta at Rank 2, but yeah that's a good list.

Also Shield is the best cantrip in the game and there's never a reason not to take it.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Chevy Slyme posted:

This is mostly just Level 1 Problems.

As soon as you can get expert proficiency and a couple of the key skill feats, it goes away.
Echoing this. Raw Medicine checks are rough at 1st level, but once Medic Dedication and subsequent feats come online (Doctor's Visitation is great) you'll start sailing past that DC 15. The Sorcerer can start throwing around Soothes to take the pressure off as well, once spell slots stop being so precious.

Honestly the bigger problem is Medic plus sword and board; Medicine checks require a free hand and constantly stowing / dropping to get off a clutch heal mid-combat will start to eat into your action economy. Keeping that hand free and spamming Glass Shield via Bone Magic might be the way to go in the long run. Better yet, you could also switch to a versatile 1/2 hander like bastard sword, gada, or katana and only drop to 1 hand (which is a free action) when you need to.

Froghammer fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Sep 20, 2023

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

ZZT the Fifth posted:

There isn't another healer in the party (yet, we're at level 1), unfortunately, and I'm kinda pulling double duty as the tank and medic. :sigh:
Your other long-term option is to go with unarmed attacks, which would let you keep your shield. Lizardfolk get their choice of Razor Claws, Sharp Fangs, or Tail Whip.

Beyond that I actually think you and your group are going to be fine. The healing issues will clear up after level 1, which is always going to have a degree of being survival horror regardless of party makeup.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Piell posted:

Leshy seems like a weird ancestry to make core considering they all have to be individually created by druids
Yeah but they're super cute and I want to see more pictures of them in official art

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Dexo posted:

Define pretty modern, because uh, "Others" have been discriminated against/forced to assimilate in various societies, for a pretty large chunk of human history lol.

This is not me saying it should be in a game, because fantasy racism is like not something I want to experience in a game and I would bounce if a GM took that path to deal with a character I created.
This is a really important point, and the touches on the thing that bothered me the most about the post that kicked this whole thing off. Being the victim of systemic oppression should be a thing you opt into or out of in a roleplaying game context, and that decision should 100% be divorced from wanting to be a lizard person or having devil horns.

"Your character will face discrimination and bigotry based being what they are" can be incredibly triggering and is a bullshit thing to spring on a player without their enthusiastic consent, verisimilitude be damned.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

gurragadon posted:

I hate darkvision so much on PC's. Any ancestry that see's the sun ever shouldn't have anything above low-light vision. Going to the surface should just burn anyone's eyes with darkvision. I kind of want to remove it from my games but that's just a blatant weakening of a bunch of ancestries in the game and I wouldn't know how to compensate for it.
Run your party through a dungeon filled with luminescent crystals that radiate light not visible on humanity's spectrum. Mechanically, it's inverse darkness. Regular vision can see fine ("it's just glowing crystals, what's the problem"). Low-light vision treats everything as dim light, as the glint from the crystals makes everything beyond 30 feet blinding. Darkvision is completely overwhelmed; PCs will need portable shade or sunglasses to see anything at all, and even that will only let them see little beyond their own hands and feet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Dexo posted:

Hmmm. This would be a fun mechanic for like a dungeon or area made by a group of humans who loving hated elves or some other creature/ancestry with dark/low light vision.

I am going to steal the poo poo out of this.

Usually to gently caress with darkvision in the rare rare time when I want to have stuff be actually dark I just make the darkness generated by a macguffin of magical darkness. Once they find what is generating it in the area it can be turned off.
It's neat trick to pull Exactly Once in a campaign. Darkvision's an edge case because it's usually tacked on for free rather than something the PCs seek out, but in general players that take options that let them be good at something expect to be rewarded for being good at said things. Pulling a "SURPRISE everyone who's good at something is now bad at it and vice versa" gets old very, very quickly.

A weirdo inverse gravity dungeon where everyone can fly except for the flying PCs (who now have to walk) feels extremely bad for the person who built their character to be able to fly, because they wanted to be able to fly.