Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired
It'd also be pretty trivial to whip up a travelling merchant NPC who goes between Otari and Absolom and takes care of the mail orders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm playing Abomination Vaults as a Mastermind Rogue with Magus free Archetype and I found a +1 Starknife. Is it worth investing in as a weapon or is it better to stick with Rapiers/shortwords? I'm considering putting a rune of returning on it which would make it double pretty well as both a ranged and melee option.

Clerical Terrors fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Apr 19, 2023

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

Chevy Slyme posted:

If your GM happens to be the sort to handwave the Rogue’s weird legacy martial proficiencies and allow it to apply to any martial weapon, instead of the shortlist of only Rapier Sap Shortsword and Shortbow, then, yeah, absolutely use the star knife if you’re into it.

This happens to be exactly the case, so going by what you said I think I'll invest a bit in it. Since we're currently level 3 there's the future option of taking Strong Arm to make it more effective at range, but that probably means passing up on either Poison Weapon or Magical Trickster. Poison weapon especially seems like it might offer some interesting potential, not sure Magical Trickster is worth it, but having some extra damage on my cantrips probably can't hurt as long as I can reliably get enemies flat-footed.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

Pinwiz11 posted:

Yeah, it was implied that instead of STR 16 (+3) it would now be STR +3.

Doesn't investing in these yield less at lower levels tho? Like STR +5 becomes STR 19 instead of 20? How will they translate that?

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

Arivia posted:

Owlcat was always pretty clearly into the 3.5 optimization culture, which was why they did the Pathfinder 1e games. It makes sense they wouldn't be into Pathfinder 2e, which really doesn't play like that at all.

From perusing their discord it seems like they don't like the idea of switching to 2e because they'd have to completely rethink their game instead of building on what they had in Kingmaker and WotR, which is understandable.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I will show my rear end and admit that I'm on my 2nd playthrough of WotR, and occasionally just turn the difficulty to story mode, turn of tactics mode, and pretty much win instantly when I don't feel like doing some bullshit fight.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

Scrap Dragon posted:

Any advice for someone running Abomination Vaults for the first time? This'll also be my first time running Pathfinder and I'll be running it for people who have only ever played 5e before

Being a player in a similar situation rn: give them some opportunities to correct or rethink builds. It's really easy to grab traits or feats that just don't work for you in Pathfinder.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

Doing the third floor of Abomination Vaults. Our Fighter rolls 7 natural 20s in one night, two of them on attacks of opportunity, and basically deletes half the floor enemies all by himself with a +1 striking long hammer while our swashbuckler gets paralyzed and stands t-posing in another room and my rogue lies bleeding on the floor.

Can I still blame it on faulty dice if we're using Foundry?

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

Funny thing is my current AV group is coming from 5e after having just done Trouble in Otari and the GM has had to remind everyone that strategically repositioning is a completely valid thing to do in Pathfinder and that you do not need to pile into a small room or a hallway just to make sure you get at least a hit off.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

We actually don't have anyone who speaks Aklo in our party and we're managing just fine tho.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

Megazver posted:

He's a tiny-rear end 7 inch tall sprite, so he built the character ranged and picked Mastermind because it's the best way to get Flatfooted at a distance. He's not too eager to run closer and start stabbing the enemy in its ankle.

He might be a little screwed then, I've been playing Mastermind in AV as well and despite having some more specific lores I still find Recall Knowledge to be a somewhat unreliable source of flat-footing. I know it's the thing people usually point to but I would say Mastermind still isn't great for making ranged Rogue work.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

We're playing a one-shot tomorrow with characters starting at level 3, I rolled an Alchemist Bomber and after I got done with the basics I'm left with 59 gold to spend however I want in prep. Any tips on cool stuff to spend it on? I'm deliberately not going with the Alchemical Crossbow since I feel like swapping between 1 and 2 hands constantly is probably not worth it in the long run, and I have Wizard free archetype for extra ranged options if I can't use bombs.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

Honestly I feel like Combat Assessment is not super worth on Fighter, both for the reasons KPC mentioned, but also because it's an action INT based characters potentially benefit more from because it's a good first or third action to take after casting a spell or to find out if they need to select for damage. And since INT usually gives you more skills to play with and adds to all Lore skills their builds tend to be more suited towards it. So if you have any INT based characters in the group at all you're liable to be outshined.

Meanwhile if you're going Sword-and-Board fighter Reactive Shield is great, and Sudden Charge really helps with positioning while also giving you an extra attack.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

There's also a class and archetype (Draconic Bloodline Sorcerer and Dragon Disciple respectively) that let you be such a big Dragon stan you eventually end up becoming one.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

Facebook Aunt posted:

Some spells are quirky as hell.

Whyyyyyy? What is this for? Even if the power fantasy you want to live out is "Rain Man" this doesn't get you there because it is rounded to the largest digit. Were they afraid someone would use this cantrip to cheat at the "guess how many jelly beans are in the jar" game?

The thing I love about Approximate is that it's just a worse version of Eye for Numbers:

quote:

You've learned to subitize, quickly estimating the number of items in a group with relative accuracy at only a glance. You immediately learn the number of visually similar items in a group you can see (such as coins, books, or people), rounded to the first digit in the total number. For example, you could look at a case of potion vials and learn that it held about 30 vials, but you wouldn't know that it was exactly 33 vials, how many different types of potions there were, or how many of which type. Similarly, you could look at a pile of 2,805 coins and know that there were about 3,000 coins in all. You can use this ability only on items that can typically be counted, so you can't use it on grains of sand or stars in the sky, for example.

In addition, when you attempt to Decipher Writing that is primarily numerical or mathematical, you gain a +2 circumstance bonus to your check.

The way these are written really does make it seem like the designers were extremely worried about people using this to count all of the grains of sand in a hallway to determine there's too many and there must be a hidden trap door under the sand, even though that would absolutely kick rear end.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

My current AV group is:

Cavern Elf Rogue
Dwarf Fighter
Fungus Leshy Cleric
Goblin Thaumaturge
Human Swashbuckler

Poor human is the only one without Darkvision and constantly needs to turn of their light to help me sneak.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

Kinda wondering if Piazo's plan for cantrips is to move more of the bread-and-butter damage stuff into focus spells and mostly have cantrips be the bargain bin spells with only a few specific standouts so that non-caster classes that spec into magic can have some fun with it.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

Whenever somebody in our AV party can't show and we have an important encounter ahead our GM simply asks one of us to pilot two instead of one characters. It works alright even if Foundry permissions can be a bit clunky sometimes.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm a little out of the loop. Did they explain the reasoning behind the cantrip changes discussed before? Or give any more clarification?

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

Can you cast Magic Weapon on your bite attack to give yourself magic +1 striking teeth?

More importantly would that make you chew food faster?

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

Chevy Slyme posted:

No but you can cast magic fang.

(Also Handwraps of mighty blows work just fine.)

They really thought of everything

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

My AV group has been cancelled, reason given that our (first-timer) GM just could not handle the stress and anxiety of the weekly prep anymore. Pretty sad about that both because I was enjoying the AP and because I hate to think that this has apparently been such a strain on the poor guy's mental health. :smith:

On the other hand he vouched for me and got me an invite at his table which is currently running a Gatewalkers campaign, so I get to test out a Wizard build with Witch archetype starting at level 4, and I don't lose my weekly Pathfinder session. :unsmith:

Also question: do we do build critiques or discussions in this thread? Like linking a Pathbuilder build or a character sheet and giving some input? I've not done a full-on prepared caster before so I'm curious if there's any pitfalls I'm falling into.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

Have at it: https://pathbuilder2e.com/launch.html?build=502652

Should mention that I'm playing this tonight, so unlikely to make major changes. You may take that as leave to critique it however you like, including suggesting I should've picked a Hobgoblin Duskwalker instead.

KPC_Mammon posted:

The biggest pitfall for wizards is spell selection. Spells are the least balanced thing in 2e and if you pick good ones you'll have a great time and if you pick bad ones you'll complain on the internet about how wizards suck and Paizo are hacks. There is no middle ground.

This is definitely the thing I'm most worried about, but in no small part because I find it hard to really read into a spell's utility without first-hand experience. Something like Magic Weapon seems really good until you find out your martials already have +1 striking weapons. Really part of the reason I rolled Wizard in the first place is to try stuff out and see what sticks.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

First session ended pretty well, had some talk with the GM and he agreed to let me turn down the number of pure attack cantrips for more utility. Since we have a Pscyhic blaster caster on the team already having more than a few really wasn't necessary and having brought Detect Magic instead would've been useful.

Chevy Slyme posted:

Forbidding Ward (your witch cantrip), and Protective Ward (from your Abjuration school) don't stack. And since the latter is a focus spell, it's basically always the better choice, and you shouldn't really ever use the former. I'd recommend Rousing Splash as a nice, complementary defensive cantrip option; you can use it to essentially throw up warding bubbles on allies. Wash your Luck might also be a thematically fun option that you don't have access to from your Arcane list.

So my thinking is that, because Protective Ward is an aura that starts at 5 feet, it's going to require me to stand next to whoever I'm trying to buff. And if that's one or both of our martials I might end up in a spot I really would rather not be in. This way I have more options available to me.

Cyouni posted:

The problem is that if they get forced into a social role, literally all their social skills are untrained. So it barely does anything anyways. (And this feels intentional, given that 4/7 of their untrained skills are the Cha ones.)

Good point actually, we already have 2 people with Cha skills trained up so putting a point there is just a waste.

sugar free jazz posted:

pick any non wizard caster and you'll have more fun.

I might've been better off picking an Investigator (party already has a Cha Psychic blaster caster and was lacking in Int characters), but goddammit I wanted to at least try Wizard before I knock it.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

Does anyone know how the Hellknight test works in second edition? In first you apparently had to fight a devil of equal or more hit die than your character but fighting a devil of same level as you, alone, in 2e seems much more daunting.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

Arivia posted:

It’s in the Lost Omens Character Guide. “The Hellknight Test is simple: an armiger must best an immortal champion of Hell whose power in combat mirrors her own.” is the definition it gives (also says it must be single combat). A strict reading of the signifer archetype feats suggests it’s a level 5 or below devil summoned using summon fiend, but the text itself doesn’t specify. I think it’s got some leeway so the GM can make it appropriately challenging, but it is supposed to be a fight to the death and by level 5 a character is probably pretty resilient.

I suppose that means part of it will be up to GM fiat anyways but so far from what I'm reading you are kind of required to link back up with your order to take this test? Since they summon the devil for you? Or does beating any devil count?

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

Jen X posted:

Oh sweet, they finally said what the new Recall Knowledge procedure actually is:

1) Use the action
2) Ask a question to the GM about the topic
3) Roll happens (still secret it seems)
4)

Crit Success: either extra info or a second question on top of success answer
Success: question is answered honestly
Failure: no info
Crit Failure: lie for an answer

There are supposed to be a list of hypothetical questions and more GM guidance in the books, but this is the gist of it

and questions like "what's this thing's weakest save?" or "what is this weak to?" are explicitly valid

Is the Mastermind racket still going to break the "lie on crit fail" bit by telling you you failed when you don't get off-guard on the enemy?

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

Tbh in combat I find it a lot harder to willingly act on information I know to be false, which is where my resistance to the "lie on crit fail" bit comes from. Even if I'm not playing Thaumaturge or Mastermind Rogue there might be times I just happen to know from experience what a type of monster's saves and weaknesses tend to be like, so having the GM lie to me about that just feels like wasted effort on their part.

I can definitely see it being interesting in non-combat scenarios, like attempting a RK on a unique NPC to find a way to approach them only to have that backfire hilariously.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

Jen X posted:

No. There are implicit player expectations of how the world works (i.e. physics works like real life physics, if gamified in places) that restrict most martial characters in a way the lack of implicit expectations of how magic works (beyond "supernatural and impossible") does not restrict casters. This is because we're familiar with what happens when real people swing weapons around and not familiar with real people obliterating natural laws in consistent ways across media and lived experience.

It's a matter of player expectations, given class narrative, class feature flavor, and worldbuilding, not narrative prominence or control. The tension comes from the fact that a lower-level martial character doing something impossible has a greater player perception barrier to overcome than a caster doing so, so the caster feels capable of things the martial isn't while a caster can in theory (though obviously not in practice) do the mundane things the martial does too.

If a rogue stabs someone, and the sorcerer summons lightning, only one of them did something the other is not physically capable of, in theory; a wizard can grab a dagger but a rogue can't grab an ethereal thundercloud.

Is this really a Pathfinder specific issue? I feel like this is something you run into very fast in any setting where some people just swing swords around while others speak in tongues and shoot lightning from their fingertips. Hell I think I've heard this same discussion before with regards to Force users vs. everyone else in Star Wars (although lbf, Star Wars is basically Space Fantasy anyways)

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

Jen X posted:

I wish all martials did even cooler impossible poo poo sooner tbh

Personally I found our AV Fighter using sudden charge and smashing the ever-unliving poo poo out of a bunch of ghouls at level 3 to be extremely cool, even if he didn't have to bend the laws of the universe to do so.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

Every time I re-rolled a low roll using a hero point in Foundry I ended up rolling one point higher and still failing.
My personal conspiracy theory is that the Foundry devs have hardcoded this into the app on purpose to attack me, specifically.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

Member of my Gatewalkers group alerted me to this: a long twitter thread by Paizo design manager Michael Sayre on balancing classes from PF1E to 2E, and spellcasters in particular: https://twitter.com/MichaelJSayre1/status/1700183812452569261

Michael Sayre posted:

An interesting anecdote from PF1 that has some bearing on how #Pathfinder2E came to be what it is:

Once upon a time, PF1 introduced a class called the arcanist. The arcanist was regarded by many to be a very strong class. The thing is, it actually wasn't.

For a player with even a modicum of system mastery, the arcanist was strictly worse than either of the classes who informed its design, the wizard and the sorcerer. The sorcerer had significantly more spells to throw around, and the wizard had both a faster spell progression and more versatility in its ability to prepare for a wide array of encounters. Both classes were strictly better than the arcanist if you knew PF1 well enough to play them to their potential.

What the arcanist had going for it was that it was extremely forgiving. It didn't require anywhere near the same level of system mastery to excel. You could make a lot more mistakes, both in building it and while playing, and still feel powerful. You could adjust your plans a lot more easily on the fly if you hadn't done a very good job planning in advance. The class's ability to elevate the player rather than requiring the player to elevate the class made it quite popular and created the general impression that it was very strong.

It was also just more fun to play, with bespoke abilities and little design flourishes that at least filled up the action economy and gave you ways to feel valuable, even if the core chassis was weaker and less able to reach the highest performance levels.

In many TTRPGs and TTRPG communities, the options that are considered "strongest" are often actually the options that are simplest. Even if a spellcaster in a game like PF1 or PF2 is actually capable of handling significantly more types and kinds of challenges more effectively, achieving that can be a difficult feat. A class that simply has the raw power to do a basic function well with a minimal amount of technical skill applied, like the fighter, will generally feel more powerful because a wider array of players can more easily access and exploit that power.

This can be compounded when you have goals that require complicating solutions. PF2 has goals of depth, customization, and balance. Compared to other games, PF1 sacrificed balance in favor of depth and customization, and 5E forgoes depth and limits customization. In attempting to hit all three goals, PF2 sets a very high and difficult bar for itself. This is further complicated by the fact that PF2 attempts to emulate the spellcasters of traditional TTRPG gaming, with tropes of deep possibility within every single character.

It's been many years and editions of multiple games since things that were actually balance points in older editions were true of d20 spellcasters. D20 TTRPG wizards, generally, have a humongous breadth of spells available to every single individual spellcaster, and their only cohesive theme is "magic". They are expected to be able to do almost anything (except heal), and even "specialists" in most fantasy TTRPGs of the last couple decades are really generalists with an extra bit of flavor and flair in the form of an extra spell slot or ability dedicated to a particular theme.

So bringing it back to balance and customization: if a character has the potential to do anything and a goal of your game is balance, it must be assumed that the character will do all those things they're capable of. Since a wizard very much can have a spell for every situation that targets every possible defense, the game has to assume they do, otherwise you cannot meet the goal of balance. Customization, on the other side, demands that the player be allowed to make other choices and not prepare to the degree that the game assumes they must, which creates striations in the player base where classes are interpreted based on a given person's preferences and ability/desire to engage with the meta of the game. It's ultimately not possible to have the same class provide both endless possibilities and a balanced experience without assuming that those possibilities are capitalized on.

So if you want the fantasy of a wizard, and want a balanced game, but also don't want to have the game force you into having to use particular strategies to succeed, how do you square the circle? I suspect the best answer is "change your idea of what the wizard must be." D20 fantasy TTRPG wizards are heavily influenced by the dominating presence of D&D and, to a significantly lesser degree, the works of Jack Vance. But Vance hasn't been a particularly popular fantasy author for several generations now, and many popular fantasy wizards don't have massively diverse bags of tricks and fire and forget spells. They often have a smaller bag of focused abilities that they get increasingly competent with, with maybe some expansions into specific new themes and abilities as they grow in power. The PF2 kineticist is an example of how limiting the theme and degree of customization of a character can lead to a more overall satisfying and accessible play experience. Modernizing the idea of what a wizard is and can do, and rebuilding to that spec, could make the class more satisfying to those who find it inaccessible.

Of course, the other side of that equation is that a notable number of people like the wizard exactly as the current trope presents it, a fact that's further complicated by people's tendency to want a specific name on the tin for their character. A kineticist isn't a satisfying "elemental wizard" to some people simply because it isn't called a wizard, and that speaks to psychology in a way that you often can't design around. You can create the field of options to give everyone what they want, but it does require drawing lines in places where some people will just never want to see the line, and that's difficult to do anything about without revisiting your core assumptions regarding balance, depth, and customization.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

Blockhouse posted:

apropos of nothing how are you liking Gatewalkers? A friend is thinking of GMing it since we don't want to do Season of Ghosts until the Tian Xia books are out

I like it so far, the core mystery is compelling and you get dripfed more information which raises more questions in a way I think works to keep the plot engaging without becoming predictable. It's generally a lot more plot and interaction-heavy than something like Abomination Vaults where it doesn't really kick in until much later. Also a lot less geographically constrained: you end up going all over Golarion.

Mechanically it's also pretty good so far but your GM has to pick and choose what systems they like or dislike. Our GM has actually reduced the number of "filler" fights because there's a few near the middle that just don't contribute much or offer any interesting mechanical puzzle to solve. There's also more emphasis on traversal and using mechanics like survival checks, rationing etc. though no true exploration so far. Instead the AP apparently recommends you keep track of the party's progress geographically and just throw random encounters at them at your leisure, our GM swapped this for a few higher level random encounters instead of just throwing roaming packs of disposable mooks at us.

Clerical Terrors fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Sep 12, 2023

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

SilverMike posted:

An alternate use of your Free Archetype is to go into Blessed One. Lay on Hands is a single action for guaranteed 6/level HP and +2 status bonus to AC for 1 round and you'll get that back for every fight unless you can't spend 10 minutes Refocusing.

Obviously this is only really relevant whenever the GM is keeping precise track of the time but treat wounds is a 10 minute activity which means if you're the designated medic you'll only refocus by taking an extra 10 minutes after you're finished treating people.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

Blockhouse posted:

Got a couple more weeks to figure out my Gatewalkers character and I'm largely moving to looking at martials with intelligence and/or skill monkey ability. Spent a lot of time reading up on Inventor guides, enough to think up a weapon inventor with the simple weapon boosting die and a gauntlet that will eventually with improvements and Offense Boost become a pile bunker, or just going full construct rider and living out my Cait Sith fantasies (and also probably taking gunslinger dedications so I have a reload for a gun because an inventor with a shortbow is thematically bleh to me)

Next up is Investigator, then Magus and then probably Rogue which would be the most generic of the options but who doesn't like rogues

Played a Mastermind rogue in AV for a bit and Pathfinder Rogues are pretty customizable through the various rackets. Definitely not hard to break away from the "sneaky thief" archetype, you will keep sneak attack as a mechanic but why would you say no to extra damage dice?

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

Our Gatewalkers group is about to hit book 3 and the GM's hinted that everyone's going to get a level 10 item soon and asked us to think of one we'd want specifically to avoid giving us useless random stuff. I'm thinking I'll probably just default to Shadow Signet but I was wondering if there are other level 10 items that are really good for a Wizard with Witch Free Archetype?

I currently have a pretty reasonable spread of spells targeting different saves and don't do spell attack rolls much aside from the occasional Reach + Shocking Grasp, so I was thinking maybe a Type 2 Ring of Wizardry would be good: https://2e.aonprd.com/Equipment.aspx?ID=462

Clerical Terrors fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Sep 21, 2023

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

Hasn't the core balance of cantrips been kind of dumb for a while now? One reason everyone always takes electric arks is specifically because it is so strong compared to some of the other choices. It'd be great if they did some kind of general errata on the numbers of most damage cantrips so that Daze isn't a complete waste of cantrip slot.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

Cyouni posted:

I actually have felt like they were too strong, especially when I was swashbuckling. Electric Arc, mainly, but that's besides the point.

I think it was at level 3 where our wizard used one and did 9 damage to two targets, while I was looking at 3d6+1 on a single target (with panache).

at Level 3 your wizard's electric arc does 2d4+INT mod of electrical damage. Assuming the Wizard's INT mod was 4 that's 5 damage from the dice, which means he rolled relatively well and that the two enemies apparently failed their reflex saves, which isn't a given. 2d4+4 on two targets for two actions vs 3d6+1 single target for two actions (assuming you took one to get panache) doesn't seem like it comes out unfairly favoring the spell caster, especially given that the martial attack in this scenario has a lot more possibilities for further interactions and enhancements, whereas that electric arc is about as good as it's ever going to get.

Clerical Terrors fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Sep 22, 2023

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

Chevy Slyme posted:

Five damage on 2d4 is exactly average, not “rolled relatively well”

Yeah true, I might be projecting a bit given my own horrible luck with damage rolls on d4s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

appropriatemetaphor posted:

No magic user in any of my games has ever bought or used a scroll.

I've done it a couple of times as a rogue and it failed every single time which kind of bummed me out on using them. Especially because it tends to eat an entire turn of actions The one guy I see using them more consistently is our Psychic in Gatewalkers, but he mostly uses the ones we find in loot and doesn't go out of his way to purchase any.

Clerical Terrors fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Sep 22, 2023