Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

GimpInBlack posted:

Okay, I'm reading through the PF2e rulebook and there's something that's bugging me about the armor chart: namely, there are a few cases where two armor options are identical (or near-identical) in stats, but have different prices. For example, Hide and Scale armor are identical across the board except that Hide armor is in the "leather" group and Scale is in the "composite" group, which boils down to whether the armor specialization effect givesyou resistance to bludgeoning or piercing damage. And yet, Scale armor costs twice what Hide does. The only other difference I can see is that, as predominantly-metal armor, Scale has more hardness and hp, but armor doesn't generally take damage the way shields do, so that seems marginal at best.

Or, for another example, Splint Mail vs. Half Plate. Again, identical except for the composite vs. plate group, but half-plate costs 18 gp to Splint's 13. And in this case they're both metal, so they have the same hardness and hp in the unlikely event that comes up.

Am I missing something here, or is this just one of those annoying D&D legacy issues where certain armor types are still on the chart for "tradition" and one is more expensive for "realism?"

(And yes, I know this is a minor issue that only really matters at level 1 and a few gp difference in the base price of nonmagical armor stos mattering almost immediately, I'm just confused as to why it's there at all.)

It's more or less that yeah. There used to be minor differences in weight (if you cared about carrying capacity), whether druids can wear it, susceptibility to stuff like heat/chill metal, etc. some of which has been smoothed over in 2e.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Kvantum posted:

The 2e campaign setting assumes all previous APs happened already, so there have to be references to adventurers accomplishing the challenges presented by the APs.

On the plus side, this means that if you see one of those hooks that you like, you can probably pick up a first-edition adventure path or module about it and use the story of it as a basis for a campaign even if a direct conversion doesn't work well.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

OgreNoah posted:

There's a 125 page book for the companions, and it includes the two you mentioned. Some are more fleshed out than those, but there's some kineticist stuff for them.

Oh man, I'm pretty sure I missed adding a physical copy of this as an add-on. I hope it will be available separately afterwards...

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

just conceptually the idea of a skeleton bard is amusing to me.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

believe it or not, I didn't have Brook in mind when I was thinking of it...

But also the idea of a colorfully-painted skeleton, or one wearing very colorful clothes and dancing, or something like that.

The Golux fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Sep 13, 2022

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Procrastine posted:

I've never used the chase system before, what's broken about it?

Part of it is that it's generally designed with the assumption of characters on foot with no extraordinary movement abilities and approximately equal base speeds, is my understanding?

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

what do those do in 2e? Do you just mean a staff that is a magical weapon or an actual casting staff? And as a 1e player not familiar with shadow signet.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

sugar free jazz posted:

staves are one of the main items casters use and they basically give you extra spells

Shadow SIgnet:
https://2e.aonprd.com/Equipment.aspx?ID=1073

changes a spell attack to a reflex or fort dc instead, i haven't seen this item before and that is insanely good

Ah that does sound good.

I suppose if staves work similarly to 1e they must have slashed the price on them if they're desirable now, they were good in 1e but generally horrifically expensive.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Carmen Sandiego feat, yes

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Ooh, I missed that that was out... time to update my orders list.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

they were the original option for "So you want to play as a plant?" before playable leshies turned out to be more popular. Possibly because they don't have the "Everything finds you delicious and also you can plant yourself a new body every so often" baggage.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

5-Headed Snake God posted:

So I've been playing in a Blood Lords campaign for the last few months. Great campaign, super cool. But gently caress the player's guide for recommending undead bloodline for a sorcerer. Harm has been great to have (our entire party has negative healing), but when 80% of the enemies are undead and positive energy is super illegal, I've had a real lack of options in most encounters. Even with some of the house rules my GM has used to throw me a bone, it feels like it was mostly a trap option.

I just... needed to get that off my chest.

players guides for PF always have a mix of "this is mechanically good" options and "this makes sense lore/flavor-wise" options, undead sorcerer is definitely the latter (just like all the ice character options in Reign of Winter were...)

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Chevy Slyme posted:

And there’s also this rules clarification which… is interesting.

A variation of that was true in 1e as well, for things like the elemental burst weapon enhancements - you get them on a critical roll even against things immune to crits.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

I've been a little unclear on this, is the Thaumaturge kind of an analogue to the 1e Occultist or are they too different to say that?

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

KPC_Mammon posted:

What about a trash goblin?

...might not want to take a Tome implement but they have good charisma, so it could work?

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

The image of a poppet having stuffing falling out persistently because of a "bleeding" wound works fine for me.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Kvantum posted:

My old favorite 1e sorcerer character would have died to get his hands on the Starfaring Cloak. Any Desnan would.

that is a pretty sweet item yeah! My 1e desnan cartomancer witch would love it.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

bagrada posted:

How do the pocket editions compare to the full hardcovers? Less art, smaller print? Do they just stick to the rules references and leave other stuff out?

I believe they're literally identical in page layout and numbers, just everything is smaller?

EDIT: wait they're thinner so... maybe not?

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Why would they cancel pawns/bases?

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Hmm... Some of the things they're talking about sound decent, some I'm not a huge fan of... And losing a bunch of classic monsters and spells/magic items (even if redesigned alternatives exist) could be a bit rough. But I understand the legal reasons they're doing it.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Yeah, but I really like Owlbears and will need to see what they do with the Original True Dragons (I assume that Imperials and Primals will be fine, along with Outer, Esoteric, and Planar dragons that are actually considered different groups from "True Dragons").

Does anyone else have a convenient list of the other OSR monsters? I haven't found any on a quick search.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

mind the walrus posted:

Given just how hard WotC punched its own gonads the timing really is never going to get any better to make this size of a break.

Oh I don't disagree with that

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Mister Olympus posted:

weirdly, small jousters do tend to work better than medium jousters because of the rule about 'tall' vs 'long' sizes and how reach weapons shrink when mounted

wait does 2e let you hit adjacent to yourself with a reach weapon, or only when mounted, or what? (not that those squares aren't threatened by mount anyway).

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Is dnd just all parties of 5 wizards or something?

So there's a thing dating back to 3e that theoretically a wizard can be as good at any task as another class that is good at it. There's some truth to that, once you get higher in level, but even then it leads to Schroedinger's Wizard arguments - that a wizard can be better at everything than every class that is as good at it, and that isn't true; some of those abilities are mutually exclusive and even getting close costs a lot of money. If your GM lets you have an all-powerful wizard, they're either all in on powergaming, or they're not doing a very good job directing the party.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Sky Shadowing posted:

Made my GM proud today.

Society session; mission into Cheliax to track down the official Venture-Captain of the unofficial Lodge in the Chelaxian capital.

My character is an NG human aasimar, whose backstory is... he was born in Ostenso in eastern Cheliax. His parents were mid-tier merchants who sold their shop and bought a ship when he was six, getting him (and his twin aasimar sister) The gently caress Out Of Cheliax, becoming sailing traders rather than land-bound merchants.

He loving HAAAAAAAAATES Cheliax (the nation and its rulers, not the people).

Get to the end of the dungeon to find a Hellknight torturing people. My dude challenges the Hellknight to single one-on-one combat. GM's eyes light up and the Hellknight accepts at once. My party is blown away by this turn of events, but the enemy mercenaries (or armigers maybe) stand down, my allies stand down, form a ring around the combat. Two fighters duking it out. GM even goes over to the other table running the same adventure to tell them (the other GM is his best friend and my usual GM) because he says "this is cool as poo poo."

Final turn, it's pretty even, until I roll a 19+13. Hellknight had made me flat-footed until the end of his next turn; he had chosen to push the attack and not fight defensively. His AC was 22- if he had parried with his off-hand weapon, it would have been 23. I crit. With a Striking Longsword. Roll max damage; 40 on a single hit. He goes down. Guards flee; adventure completed (until the follow-up Society session in 2 weeks).

Sweet!

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Facebook Aunt posted:

Some people just get a fixation about what their character does. In an online DnD game we saw like 8 trash mobs (goblins or something IDK) up ahead almost 60 feet away (the limit of our vision). This seems like a perfect situation to let the archers and casters take potshots because even if they dash they won't be able to attack us on the first round. Instead the barbarian runs up to them. She decides not to burn a rage, because "these guys aren't worth it". Upon running up to them with a light it turns out there are 12, not 8. They completely surround her, and 12 puny guys all get an attack without her damage resistance up. Now we can't use AoE spells because she's in the center of them. The action economy is against her and she nearly dies.

But why? "I'm a barbarian, that's the only thing I can do." :psyduck:

...is the money or ability score economy in 2e so much tighter that a barbarian can't afford to have and be halfway decent with a bow?

The Golux fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Aug 29, 2023

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

I missed that it was a D&D thing and not a PF2 thing, sorry, but the question still kinda stands I think. -3 isn't THAT much worse for plinking at range before closing I would think, though I know the hit and crit numbers are stricter.

I dunno maybe I just have a weird impression from playing PF1 in a home game that usually uses higher point buys than usual.

The Golux fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Aug 29, 2023

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

CottonWolf posted:

I suspect both Samurai and Ninja or some renamed version of those will end up as archetypes in the Tian Xia character options book.

Yeah, as Cavalier can be a kind of fighter, Samurai can work as a kind of fighter or champion and Ninja can work as a kind of rogue or alchemist or something without having to be a whole separate class. I feel like a lot of the reason they were alternate classes in 1e was because it was the easiest way to rearrange the weapon proficiencies while also including the ki and... resolve mechanics, I guess?

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Vanguard Warden posted:

It's like if you could play a subclass that was entirely about fire damage and the setting had tons of completely fire-immune enemies.

As if, huh? *Pyrokineticist frowns*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Vanguard Warden posted:

I mean Kineticists get abilities that allow them to bypass elemental resistances or immunities specifically for that reason, including Extract Elements as a baseline class feature at 3rd. Meanwhile there are a LOT of enemies with immunity to poison as an effect rather than a damage type, so just the broad categories of constructs, undead, and elementals are immediately off the table.

Yeah that's fair, they have it a bit worse than single-element kineticists, I just thought "a subclass that was entirely about fire damage and the setting had tons of completely fire-immune enemies" was a slightly ironic example.