Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Hunter Noventa posted:

Ah not a huge deal. I was trying to make a weapon-using monk and it seemed to really discourage that.

I'm really more interested int he difference in gameplay overall. My current group is doing Starfinder which is definitely halfway between the two.

Look into the Monastic Weaponry feat and Peafowl Stance at low levels. At high levels, Whirling Blade Stance absolutely rules.

Chevy Slyme fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Aug 19, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Character Idea: Goblin Monk with Monastic Weaponry/Ancestral Weaponry, Bullet Dancer Archetype, and an Explosive Dogslicer.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

StashAugustine posted:

Out of curiosity how appropriate is Pathfinder for running am Eberron game? It seems like an interesting system but idk how easy it'd be to reflavor to some of the specifics of the setting, especially Artificers

Inventors don’t work quite like Artificers, but they capture a lot of the same flavor.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Lurks With Wolves posted:

There's also the Automaton ancestry, which is at minimum close enough to work for Warforged. Other than that, dragonmarks would probably take a bit of homebrew but there's enough examples of feats that give limited access to spells to figure something out.

The new Deviant Feat chains from Dark Archive seems like a good answer here.

https://2e.aonprd.com/DeviantFeats.aspx
https://2e.aonprd.com/Rules.aspx?ID=1718

The Relic rules are also a good place to look https://2e.aonprd.com/Rules.aspx?ID=1096

Chevy Slyme fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Aug 19, 2022

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Is there a separate Pathfinder GM book or is it in the core rulebook?

The core rulebook has all the rules necessary to run a game. The Game Mastery Guide has GM advice, optional rules, and guidance for turning a session into a campaign. It’s extremely helpful but not needed to get up and running.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Gamerofthegame posted:

Someone needs to get a srd version up for pathfinder 2: path harder so I don't have to pretend I'm using a geocities site in 2022

Archives of Nethys also has alternate themes that look less like poo poo.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

GimpInBlack posted:

Honestly this map makes me more hype to try Pathfinder 2e.

It’s an accurate map of Golarion

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

sugar free jazz posted:

I mean I guess but there was also like nothing written about the mwangi expanse other than the 30 page sargava companion which kinda counts?

Can’t say I’ve noticed any huge shifts in style personally

Actually paying attention to the Mwangi Expanse in a way that isn’t 30 pages of stereotypes and vaguely racist caricatures is itself a shift in style.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Epi Lepi posted:

If you're a Strength Ranger is there a maximum Dex score that you shouldn't bother going over?

Whatever the max dex bonus of the heaviest armor you can wear is. Usually that means 12 for medium armor types, but a case can be made for 14 if you want to do occasional ranged attacks or something, and you can’t find a use for putting those two points into Charisma for some reason or whatever.

In general, for all characters, if you’re not using Dexterity for attack rolls, you should stop at the max dex bonus for whatever the heaviest armor you can wear is. If that means heavy armor, then by all means stop at 10 because that’s what Bulwark is for.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Epi Lepi posted:

Thank you, just hit lvl 5 and initially took Dex from 14 to 16, but wanted to be sure it was worth it.

Yeah, 16 Dex on a Str ranger almost certainly not a priority choice. Assuming 3 of your other boosts are Str/Con/Wis (they should be), you're basically choosing between:

+1 Reflex (already your best save remember) and +1 to dex based skills
+1 to Int based skills, and another whole trained skill (IMO this is usually the best choice at 5)
or
+1 to Cha based skills (which, IMO, Deception/Intimidate are probably the two best/most important skill rolls to keep high and sharp from a pure combat charop perspective so...)

I'd usually go Int or Cha, but Dex isn't horribly wrong at that point. The big thing is that at character creation, 12 is best, and 14 is fine and 16 is extremely questionable.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

the_steve posted:

What little bit of PF2 I've gotten to play was in Organized Play, and I've only ever played a Monk so far, so armor was never an issue for me. But, I was looking at it earlier since I'm really liking how kineticist looks so far and wanted to pregame a little bit about what I'd need/want for gear, so that means finally looking at armor.

Now, is it just me, or is the chain shirt awful? I mean, same stats as studded leather, except it costs more and has that Noisy trait.
What possible reason is there to want to use it? Especially if you have the 12 STR needed to ignore the check penalty.

Most of the “bad trade” armor types like that exist to provide a template for specific magic items that are built on them. You should basically never buy them as starting gear.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Mechayahiko posted:

They have different armor specialization effects and also I think there are some unique magical chain shirts.

Armor specialization effects don’t apply to light armor though. So it’s just for the unique magical
Items really.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

the_steve posted:

Ok, but if you have 12 STR, the check penalties don't apply anyways, so flexible would be moot unless you had low STR, wouldn't it?

Correct. The edge case for optimal chain shirt is:

You have exactly 16 Dex. (Or less, but are only proficient in light armor)

You have 10 or less Str.

You care about Acrobatics and/or Athletics (perhaps you are planning to do things like Squeeze or Jump), but you don't care as much about Sneaking or Thievery.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Jack B Nimble posted:

Hey, is there a recommended horror themed PF2 pre made campaign? I'd like to squirrel that knowledge away in case I get to pick or influence our group's next game.

The newest AP currently getting monthly releases is Blood Lord’s an Evil-ish campaign set in Geb, the Nectomancer empire ruled by undead.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

PastaBakeWizard posted:

I've run the beginner box for two people (liberal application of the weak template or halving the number of monsters) and this system seems cool. About to run Trouble in Otari for a full party of 4, and one of the players is showing up with a wit swashbuckler. Their level 2 pickups are weapon improviser dedication for the class feat and juggle for the skill feat. Both of these seem like they are going to cost the player actions for not that much actual benefit, which I suppose is alright because they're both fun, showy and unusual and when the swashbuckler is doing fun, showy and unusual things I can give them panache, which is a good reward. But just to be sure, am I underestimating these options on their own? Am I right to think that weapon improvisation just means they'll spend an action to pick up a chair when they could just get their sword out, and juggle basically just makes them spend actions getting their items into the juggle, which they will then utilize the same way as if they weren't juggling?

Juggle isn’t going to do anything fundamentally; it’s a way to maintain a free hand while using a weapon and a shield… which is handy for some spellcasting builds but a swashbuckler can and should just… leave a hand free. It’s flavorful but not really useful!

Weapon improviser though is a really strong chain actually. It doesn’t actually cost an action if, for example, before combat he picks up a bottle off of the bar because he’s expecting a fight. The dedication feat doesn’t do anything that just buying a rapier wouldn’t, mechanically (though, flavor off the charts), but there are feats down the chain that essentially give improvised weapons scaling potency/striking runes for free and other goodies. It’s a fun archetype.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

PastaBakeWizard posted:

Awesome, thanks for the help guys! I think that doing something unique and flavourful is more valuable than combat effectiveness to this person, and I do not consider that a problem, so I'll not mention it and be a little more liberal with panache. If they feel unhappy with their performance down the line, I'll suggest retraining juggle and possibly leaving it as a flavour-only informed ability that the character has.

Fortunately for the player, Juggle is a skill feat and most skill feats are borderline useless anyway. I would give them a bonus on perform checks that use it and call it a day.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I'm GMing a Pf2e game, and one of the challenges I'm having is that each creature has multiple actions that synergizes with each other and they're always different from one creature to the next and it's a bit annoying. Is running monsters in pathfinder just... more involved? I seems to take a lot more effort to run the pf2e encounters than it does 5e encounters.

More effort to run, but less effort to set up, and with experience and system mastery that effort will be more automatic and you’ll move faster.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

pog boyfriend posted:

i think 5e DnD is better than this game, actually

:frogout:

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Can someone TLDR what makes p2e so much more complicated/crunchy whatever than 5e?

Because p2e just doesn't seem that complex to me? I've only played Fighter/Rogues so far though.

Like I've got a friend who showed some interest in getting a ttg going, but refused to do pathfinder because it's way to complicated.

So, a simple and ubiquitous example is degrees of success.

In 5e, things either succeed or fail - bounded accuracy means that the general numbers involved don’t change too much from 1-20, and attacks will crit on a nat 20.

In pf2e, the target numbers escalate pretty dramatically from 1-20 (as do the size of your bonuses to your roll), and you need to be cognizant if results that are -10 and +10 from the success mark because crit success and crit failure is a thing on dozens of different rolls.

Now, this isn’t that complicated or crunchy. But it is definitely more so than 5e.

Similarly, character building in pathfinder just involves making many many more choices over the course of building and leveling a character compared to 5e - and each of those choices in turn is going to be linked to a table with ten or a dozen or a hundred choices.

There’s just a lot more there, for better and worse.

This is further compounded by the bad reputation of the Mathfinder 1e/3.5 days which were even crunchier still with a ton more interactions and systemic complexity. A lot of the criticisms from those days no longer apply, but when we’re talking about someone who is hard disinterested based purely on reputation, it’s likely a factor.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Arrrthritis posted:

Is there a good reference for companion rules? One of my players rolled up an inventor with two robot companions and this conversation became very relevant to me.

Not sure how they have two robots, but in general, the Tl;dr for companions and summons is the player can give up one action on their turn to direct the companion to take two actions. They do not have their own initiative, and cannot act independently unless a specific feature says otherwise (a good example is a lot of the Mature Animal Companion upgrades allow them to move once undirected)

The net result is basically that if you have a companion or summon something, you get 4 actions, but the companion has to take two of them.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Arrrthritis posted:

So my understanding of animal/robot companions is this, then.

1) If a character has multiple sources of companions, only one can be active at a time
-Unless they're a beastmaster, then they can have two out at the same time.

No, a character can’t have multiple companions at all, even from multiple sources, unless explicitly allowed to do so, such as the beast master. Even then, the beast master can only have one out at a time without a level 16 Feat, so probably best to just forget it works when thinking about this stuff)

quote:

2) They can only command one creature at a time, if more than one creature is out
-Innovator can spend up to two actions to give two/three actions to one companion
-Otherwise, a high level beastmaster can spend one action to give to multiple companions

In general, anyone with a companion spends one action to give the companion two. Construct Innovator inventors can spend two to give three, changing the action ratio to PC1, minion 3. A fairly common mid level feat for companion classes allows companions to use one action to Stride or Strike without being commanded - so, still 4 actions total, but the ratio becomes PC3/Minon 1 instead of 2/2. The 16th level beastmaster thing (again, better to forget it!) allows more bodies on the field but does not change this action economy formula in any way. It’s still 2/2 or 3/1

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Failboattootoot posted:

Thanks all, that all sounds pretty great, and looking up the specific spells mentioned does make it look like it's gone in a pretty good direction. Are there any particularly cool examples of martials getting spell-like utility? I saw that medicine gives a pretty similar effect to Heal (well, assuming you keep up with training it).

The Demoralize skill action and it’s related feats is extremely good and there are several classes and ancestries that offer different and interesting ways to buff it and change how it works.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Rythian posted:

Yeah I just finished my first session as well. Beginner's Box on FoundryVTT with six people, most of whom I've ran through D&D5e campaigns on Roll20 in the past.

I had a great time and they did too. Prep was effortless, but mostly I loved that things just made sense for me as a DM. There were a lot more direct mechanical rules for doing things, and I had to do so much less rulings on the fly. Except the Aid action which felt surprisingly vague. Felt like 5e with having to make rulings based on their suggestions of what they thought would count as Aid. Only thing that stood out to me compared to all the other actions in and out of combat.

We're not done yet, probably have one more session for the Beginner's Box, maybe two. Then into Troubles in Otari!

Super impressed so far with both PF2e and Foundry and the premium module.

90% of the time, the answer for Aid is "They make the same skill roll, against a flat DC 20".

If they're aiding an attack roll, have them literally just roll an attack roll (as in their normal weapon strike), as if against an AC of 20.

If the player would like to use a different skill or use a skill in place of an attack roll, and is capable of conjuring up sufficiently convincing bullshit to allow them to do so, go ahead and allow it, and adjust the DC of the check up or down as appropriate.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Toshimo posted:

Yeah. The Core Rulebook says "20, but feel free to mod easier/harder", so I'd start with a 16 at level 1 and just crank it by 1 per level until it hits 20 at level 5 and just leave it there forever with exceptions for especially novel edge cases.

A good rule of thumb is that the Aid check should never be harder than the actual check. (Unless something weird is going on).

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Arrrthritis posted:

What are good item rewards for a construct inventor? I'm adjusting some of the loot tables/shops in Abomination Vaults to account for a Monk, Inventor, Swashbuckler, and Wizard, but I kind of have no idea what a pet class like that would want/use. Are there any specific items that Inventors want to keep a lookout for? Or are they good if they're able to keep a steady stream of gold flowing their way?

Crafters Eyepiece is as mandatory as level appropriate weapon and armor runes.

Beyond that, the Backfire Mantle specifies splash damage from alchemical items, but if you want to houserule something similar for inventor explosions/splashes, it would probably be a welcome thing for both the Inventor, AND his melee friends.

A lot of the Companion Items https://2e.aonprd.com/Equipment.aspx?Category=41&Subcategory=43 Provide nice bits of utility or roleplay fun and would work well w/ a construct innovation as well.

Beyond that, it’s the usual mix of items that anyone would want. For consumables, have a look at Gadgets as flavorful alternatives to potions and talismans. https://2e.aonprd.com/Equipment.aspx?Category=15&Subcategory=71

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Is there a combo in any TTRPG as satisfying as the one two punch of Bon Mot into Demoralize?

It’s just, Action One: Say something profoundly mean about the goblins mother. Action two: “what are you gonna do about it little goblin? Are you gonna cry and run away like a scared little goblin?”, and thanks to the -2 from the Bon Mot, it’s a crit success and now it’s frightened 2 and you and all of your friends proceed to murder the target.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

clusterfuck posted:

Would be nice but it's the other way around, Demoralize into Bon Mot, no?

Bon Mot will reduce Perception checks and Will saves, but that won't help a Demoralize attempt, as Demoralize is an Intimidation check against target Will DC.

If you instead first successfully Demoralize the Frightened condition will reduce the targets DCs, so the Bon Mot Diplomacy roll will target a reduced Will DC.

I mean…. That’s a reading of the rules, I guess.

But will DC’s are derived from will saves, inclusive of penalties. https://2e.aonprd.com/Rules.aspx?ID=328

quote:

Will saving throws measure how well you can resist attacks to your mind and spirit. They use your Wisdom modifier and are calculated as shown in the formula below.
Will save result = d20 roll + Wisdom modifier + proficiency bonus + other bonuses + penalties

Sometimes you'll need to know your DC for a given saving throw. The DC for a saving throw is 10 + the total modifier for that saving throw.

The total modifier includes any penalties. Bon Mot applies a penalty to the saving throw, which in turn reduces the DC.

It is an extremely strong and cool and good combo.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Froghammer posted:

So if I'm an occult caster (like, say, a Bard) who takes Psychic Dedication at 2 and Basic Thoughtform at 4 to get Psi Burst, it would key off my Psychic class DC and not my Bard class DC, correct?

Spells don’t key off your class DC, they key specifically off of your DC in the relevant spellcasting tradition, which, in the case of a Bard/Psychic is occult for both, so you’ll use whatever the Bard’s proficiency is.

(Class DC’s don’t get T/E/M/L unless specifically noted, as with the Alchemist)

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Saw this described as “New York City for Dwarves” and yes hello I am interested

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

the_steve posted:

How's Kineticist looking lately? I haven't heard anything since they first released the playtest, though to be fair, I really haven't been involved in any Pathfinder stuff for awhile.

They did a blog post talking about the playtest feedback and making some broad strokes statements about what that might mean for the class design and it’s been radio silence since. Probably will be until the book drops late next year. They tend not to do second rounds of play tests I don’t think.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Ataxerxes posted:

I was considering a Champion character with Barbarian dedication for a game and was wondering how the Titan Mauler thing works. In that case you would get the ability to use oversized weapons at lv 6? But how do you calculate their damage? The basic rulebook has rules for hoe their bulk changes, but tables for large sized weapons don't seem to be there.

Also, is there a martial class based book coming out at some time? Samurai at least doesn't exist in 2nd ed yet, or does it?

The samurai seems exceptionally unlikely as a class. I could see an archetype showing up if/when we get a Tian Xia
Book, but until then, you can mostly get there as a Champion with some Cavalier and Marshal archetype feats. It never really occupied a particularly unique or interesting niche mechanically in 1e, as, essentially, a reskinned Cavalier, and they’ve been pretty clear about trying to avoid new classes that don’t bring something mechanically unique to the table at this stage of 2e.

As for big weapons, the increased rage damage for a Titan mauler is the benefit for large weapons. There’s no damage difference inherent to them.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Big Mouth Billy Basshole posted:

I'm planning on playing my first game of 2e soon. I've been thinking about making either a bard or barbarian.

For the barbarian, I'm leaning towards the animal instinct subclass. Are the intimidation feats worth investing in? It seems like it be hard to invest enough points into Charisma, along with Str/Con/Dex. An Athletics build that focuses on either trip or grapple seems like it would be easier to build.

Both are really strong options - intimidation builds own bones and I love demoralize and barbarians in particular get some fun toys and get to avoid some of the skill feat taxes for going all in on demoralize. The Charisma investment is real, but remember that you only need 14 Dex at start (Hide/Scale armor) and 16 Dex at level 5 (if taking Animal Skin at 6, which, as a net +4 AC vs. Medium Armor while raging is a Good Trade), which makes the overall build pretty manageable. So, for example, on a human, a starting stat line of something like 18/14/12/10/10/14 is fine

A Goblin, Azarketi, Catfolk, or Skeleton could do 18/14/14/8/10/14 or 18/14/12/8/10/16 (flip Wis/Int for Skeleton).

As to which is better a lot of that depends on how you’ll support your allies and how they’ll support you. If the party has a high Charisma face type who can grab Bon Mot, that’s a tremendous enabler for an intimidator and you should absolutely play into that combo. If on the other hand you’re gonna have a fighter buddy with attack of opportunity, maybe consider athletics for the ability to use force enemies into provoking Attacks of Opportunity (forced movement doesn’t provoke… but forced movement can… y’know, force someone to move on their own turn which absolutely does provoke.)

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Thanks! Both sound reasonable, so I'll see what the rest of the group ends up playing to see which fits best.

Also, is it worthwhile to use a shield? I would still have one free hand for maneuvers and just one action needed to raise a shield. I'm not sure how combat tends to play out with barbarians. I imagine once you get in to melee range, one action would be to intimidate or grapple/trip, one for a strike, and then either a second strike or raise shield. At least that's how it's looking to me at lower levels.

It’s worth having a shield on hand absolutely; if nothing else, it’s a third action to gain +2AC, which is never a bad choice. Whether you invest in that further for things like blocking is much more of a thing to build around. Keep in mind also that Grapple and Trip are attack actions, so they increase (and are affected by) your Multiple Attack Penalty the same as a Strike does.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Arivia posted:

It's not super difficult to support having four good stats in Pathfinder 2e (presuming one is Wisdom) due to how ability boosts work. Things even out in the long-run except for your #1 stat and you're getting increases to four stats as that happens.

And it’s not the end of the world if wisdom starts a little low, so long as you’re boosting it later. The trick is that, for most characters that care about doing this (generally Str based martials) there’s a hard cap on how much DEX is useful, so you can stop boosting it at 5 at the latest.

(That said, Dex up to that cap is probably the single most important early game Defensive stat, and is worth skipping Con for in a way that would be anathema to players of most other editions of d20 based games)

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

appropriatemetaphor posted:

To mitigate the trip = attack issues there's some feats that only start counting MAP after you've done the attacks, so like this one for Fighter:

https://2e.aonprd.com/Feats.aspx?ID=372

Lets you attack and trip at your max bonus which is pretty cool. Not sure if there's a barbarian equivalent.

You can also take the Assurance (Athletics) skill which lets you use trip/grapple but doesn't consider it an attack. Trouble is you can't get a good roll with Assurance since you aren't rolling, so it could just be an auto-fail.

Assurance athletics is great Vs mooks or enemies with lopsided saves where you can identify a clear weak point, but it’s not as good as it seems at first glance. Unless of course, your use case is jumping. Assurance + Athletics rules for jumping. You can jump so goddamn far.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

I think the idea is to play the Outlaws of Alkenstar adventure path, which I think ends at level 10. If strength starts at 18, I wouldn't be able to get +5 until the end. Is it worth skipping leveling it up in place for wis and con?

Also thanks for clarifying that trip/grabble count as attacks. I totally glossed over that reading through the rules.

Absolutely a valid choice to not chase the 20 Str if you won’t go past 10.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Vanguard Warden posted:

This isn't really correct. Attempting to trip or grapple someone while using the Assurance feat would still be an attack that increased your MAP penalty for any following attacks that turn, as the Trip and Grapple actions both have the 'attack' trait. Assurance just replaces the part of the Athletics check where you would make a d20 roll with a flat result that ignores modifiers other than your proficiency bonus, so it wouldn't include any existing multiple attack penalty.

The combo is to make a bunch of attacks as normal first, and then use Assurance to trip or grapple last while your MAP is high to ignore it. This should be especially effective early on or for skills that use an ability score that isn't a priority for you, but even later on when your Strength modifier might be maxed out at +7 with equipment for a +3 item bonus that still washes out against a -10 MAP.

Just raw swinging a hammer or flail that automatically inflicts prone on crit is still going to be a better bet most of the time, though. Even a -10 MAP strike could still roll a nat 20.

At -10 that’s at 20 is likely to be a hit, not a crit though. Remember, nat 20 is +1 degree of success - if that 20, -10 MAP, and let’s say, +10 to hit from Str/Proficiency/Items, a 20 will hit sometimes, but often won’t, so the nat turns it into a hit, not a crit.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Also “this big boy with thick armor doesn’t seem very agile. I’m having trouble hitting it’s AC but I bet it has a weak reflex save, let me try a maneuver” is not metagaming either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

KPC_Mammon posted:

I have a player in Alkenstar who is also a pistolero. Their special reload has no effect 90% of the time because enemies are either immune to mental effects or can only be demoralized 1/combat.

Reminder that the Demoralize 'cooldown' is per target and per player using demoralize. If the Barbarian Demoralizes a target on turn one, the Pistolero absolutely can demoralize them on round 2 and so on and so forth. This obviously doesn't help in Construct fights, but I've played through about half of Outlaws of Alkenstar now, and I'd say there's humanoids or animals in roughly half or more of the combats we've had. Plenty of opportunities to scare someone.