Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SithDrummer
Jun 8, 2005
Hi Rocky!

Lamuella posted:

and in Bestiary 2:

Dark Creeper
Dark Stalker

Don't have b3 to hand, sorry.
I wonder if the Dark Creeper/Stalker were the first things to kick off the Caligni as a whole.

To the question about Bestiary 3, the Flumph is the only thing there that's from the Tome of Horrors (going off of the OGL disclaimer page).
Edit: Dang, beaten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SithDrummer
Jun 8, 2005
Hi Rocky!
Per the Precise Strike ability:

quote:

Precise Strike
You strike with flair. When you have panache and you Strike with an agile or finesse melee weapon or agile or finesse unarmed attack, you deal 2 additional precision damage. If the strike is part of a finisher, the additional damage is 2d6 precision damage instead.

From https://2e.aonprd.com/Classes.aspx?ID=15

SithDrummer
Jun 8, 2005
Hi Rocky!
Ha, no worries!

SithDrummer
Jun 8, 2005
Hi Rocky!
Cantrips/Focus Spells/Slotted Spells are just occupying the same design space as At Will/Encounter/Daily powers from DnD 4e.

The idea that you have options whose power scales in inverse proportion to how quickly they are replenished is a common mechanic, and removing focus spells would push us back toward the old "15-minute adventuring day" concept for full casters.

SithDrummer
Jun 8, 2005
Hi Rocky!
Yeah, they could stand to be made more consistent with one another, or to have options to choose from.

Aa far as DnD 4e, I don't know if Paizo borrowed the idea, or came to it independently - I'm just saying that, however they got there, the two constructions adhere to the same design scheme.

SithDrummer
Jun 8, 2005
Hi Rocky!
Also, the premise is that the PCs aren't members of the usual city watch; they're basically some of the many temporary rent-a-cops hired specifically because of the massive spike in visitors and merchants resulting from the Golarion-equivalent World's Fair taking place during the AP.

The civil forfeiture is still bogus, but that's the context. It's all basically a thin veneer for the PCs basically doing what all PCs typically do, rather than writing up a whole special subsystem for turning loot into salaries. And of course if you want the latter, then I think there's a variant for that in the Gamemastery Guide anyway.

SithDrummer
Jun 8, 2005
Hi Rocky!

Green Tea Erotica posted:

Any advice on running XP would be appreciated, I've avoided it until now for kinda this reason, but I want to give it a shot atleast once.
Good luck!

The Pathfinder math/guidance on encounter building is going to pretty consistently call for about 12-13 encounters and other XP awards per level-up. Given that the encounter difficulty levels (numerically) are opaque to the players, you can package them into groups of 3 or 4 encounters with an achievement award as a cherry on top; this will let you construct bite-sized narrative arcs with "lieutenants" (if there's a BBEG or adversary organization in play) to defeat.

If you want to accelerate the early levels, what Arivia said about reducing the XP needed to level up will work, or you can grant XP awards more frequently; whatever you prefer.

SithDrummer
Jun 8, 2005
Hi Rocky!
Frankly I wish the focus spells were fully "per-encounter" abilities instead of the current system, where (without a feat) if you use more than one focus spell per encounter, you have one less per-encounter spell to use for the rest of the day.

Though I can't remember if how they handle using multiple focus points was also part of the remaster.

SithDrummer
Jun 8, 2005
Hi Rocky!

Chevy Slyme posted:

This is changing. You can fully recharge up to your focus point cap in 10 minute increments. So 30 minutes per fight and you have 3 focus spells again.
Well, thank goodness for that! That should open up a lot more room for unique and interesting choices in combat without feeling like you're burning up your adventuring day so quickly.

SithDrummer
Jun 8, 2005
Hi Rocky!
I imagine a focus spell on a wizard as thematically being some particularly fundamental theorem of magic that forms the basis for a lot of their particular college or discipline (explaining why they can cast it so frequently/easily).

SithDrummer
Jun 8, 2005
Hi Rocky!
The vishkanya, nagaji, and vanara at least have been around since 1st edition, so they just stuck with the established naming convention there.

Although the design of the nagaji seems to have morphed from (what appeared to be) kind of a turtle/komodo dragon-looking species in 1e to apparently "serpentfolk, but not evil" in 2e.

SithDrummer
Jun 8, 2005
Hi Rocky!

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

It'd be interesting (maybe!) to see a class guide for PF2 that explains the classes primarily in terms of their expected 3-action economies.

I think it'd be illuminating at least.
Just make it part of the classes' sample builds IMO.

SithDrummer
Jun 8, 2005
Hi Rocky!
This is absolutely a post-hoc rationalization, but the kinds of traps a level 12 klutz is going to run into are going to be so creative/intricate/devious that by comparison the trick to a basic lock or trap is going to seem obvious with just a little bit of guidance.

SithDrummer
Jun 8, 2005
Hi Rocky!
If Rovagug explodes into 25 horrific and incomprehensible aberrations it will have been worth it

SithDrummer
Jun 8, 2005
Hi Rocky!

atelier morgan posted:

isn't rovagug already dozens of horrific and incomprehensible aberrations via the various spawn of rovagug?
Yes but we need more. I need more. MORE

SithDrummer
Jun 8, 2005
Hi Rocky!

mind the walrus posted:

Yes, only on Jalmery. That's why I'm asking if there's anything else. I do appreciate the thought.
2nd book of Agents of Edgewatch has a backmatter article on Vudra - pretty sure that is the most in one place that Paizo has written on the entire continent.

SithDrummer
Jun 8, 2005
Hi Rocky!

atelier morgan posted:

it's good in the most annoying and irritating way possible

it doesn't even exist at level 1, which is one of the fundamental problems with dnd that pf2 otherwise completely avoids
What's the "one good wizard subclass" you're talking about?

Edit:

gurragadon posted:

I have a question about items. Can players use an item of any level that they get or do they have to be the level of the item? I've been giving out a bunch of money to encourage people to look at all the items and they are able to afford stuff a level or two above them. It hasn't been an issue yet but I was wondering if there is an actual rule about it I missed.

(https://2e.aonprd.com/Rules.aspx?ID=2147)

quote:

While characters can use items of any level, GMs should keep in mind that allowing characters access to items far above their current level may have a negative impact on the game.

SithDrummer fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Apr 10, 2024

SithDrummer
Jun 8, 2005
Hi Rocky!

Dick Burglar posted:

To be fair, that's been the case with every single edition of D&D and its clones. Gigantic lists of largely underwhelming, worthless, or incredibly (read: overly) niche poo poo that nobody is ever going to know when to prepare ahead of time—and no spontaneous caster will ever take—with a handful of insanely brokenly powerful spells tucked away between mountains of hot garbage.
I have wondered about the idea of a subsystem similar to the background skills subsystem from 1e, but for spells, i.e. you get a couple of extra spell slots/spells known, just for preparing/knowing niche utility spells. Of course, determining which spells fall into which category would almost certainly be a doomed exercise.

Edit:

quote:

spell blending
Ah, okay.

SithDrummer
Jun 8, 2005
Hi Rocky!

Silver2195 posted:

Sure, but the pre-Remaster Bestiary entries for a lot of these creatures pretty much did present them as monolithically evil, to the point where even the still-pretty-unpleasant urdefhans in Extinction Curse are hard to reconcile with their description in Bestiary 3.
Hard to reconcile in what way? The urdefhans are portrayed in both sources as as terrifying, death-obsessed warmongers and Horsemen of the Apocalypse-cultists. The only difference in Extinction Curse is that over the course of book 5, the heroes make themselves known as extremely capable badasses that this particular cult of urdefhans would rather use to their own ends than attempt to kill for no reason.

SithDrummer
Jun 8, 2005
Hi Rocky!

mind the walrus posted:

What country in Golarion would be good to host a game with a Guardian and Commander as characters? I'm thinking Numeria and maybe one of those Northern kingdoms I haven't read enough on.
Iblydos too, I think.

SithDrummer
Jun 8, 2005
Hi Rocky!
I'd say either of these would be acceptable (maybe leaning toward the latter based on how the "circular" area effect templates work), using the other part of the spell effect as a power comparison:

quote:

in a straight line up to 60 feet long

Both of those images consist of 12 five-foot squares of fire, whereas the others don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SithDrummer
Jun 8, 2005
Hi Rocky!
Aside from what has already been mentioned, I would expect a Darklands/underground adventuring book (which honestly could go either way as a Lost Omens book or a larger rulebook) and a 2e version of the NPC Codex or Villain Codex from 1e.