Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Jarvisi posted:

I attempted to implement it but all my players are cheap and refuse to pay for path builder.

You don't need Pathbuilder to use it, though? Surely you can keep track of "free Archetype feat at lvl2 and every even level after that" without it in whatever you use to actually run the game? (Foundry! Roll20! Google Docs! Actual paper sheets!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Jarvisi posted:

If you're playing foundry for the love of god don't update the game until pf2 is released for it.

This is my story.

I've learned this the hard way during a much less comprehensive Foundry update. I'm waiting a month or two, yeah.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

CottonWolf posted:

I'm not sure which one you're thinking about there, but there is Malevolence. I've not played it, so I can't vouch for the quality, but it sounds like the kind of thing you're after.

I ran it. (Or tried to.) It reads a lot better than it runs. They took this guy's homebrew notes for a pretty fun haunted mansion mystery, then to publish it they overstuffed it with extraneous combat to make sure PCs hit those XP thresholds, and made it the showcase for their optional Research mechanic in a most obnoxious, nonfunctional way possible. I ultimately killed the game halfway through the module to stop the pain.

I wouldn't bother using PF2 for a horror-ish game, tbh, the tone and the gameplay clash too much IMO. Just run some horror-themed OSR like Mork Bork or something.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Foundry is :10bux: off

https://foundryvtt.com/purchase/

I guess no real point in getting it if you're just a player though?

Not unless you're planning on GMing, no.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Midig posted:

I mean, he has apparantly played both systems for a while, so some elaboration would be nice. Its not like the guy favors DnD 5th anyhow.

he released pretty poo poo, poorly researched clickbait video and there was a whole bunch of arguments about it online, and now every few weeks someone drags it into here or /r/pathfinder2 or rpg.net or the Paizo forums again and goes "hey guys what do you think about this video, seems legit" and the people who actually play the game try not to pass out from the eyerolling

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Just have a single Proficiency Bonus that goes up with levels and doesn't vary for different characters.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
There are official adaptations of some of the Adventure Paths for Foundry, so you don't need to set those up yourself. Apparently they're pretty good.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Abomination Vaults, as I recall, is just a ten level dungeon and the surface is PC level 1, the first underground level is PC level 2, etc. So you can just only level them up once they've cleared a level.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I refuse to play any game on Foundry without https://foundryvtt.com/packages/quick-insert

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Kwolok posted:

Hello pathfinder thread. Following the drama that has become the future of dnd 5e, I am looking for alternatives. I am hardly a seasoned TTRPG guy, but I have hosted a handful of 5e games and played in even more. I do really enjoy it, largely for the free-form aspects and hte "make poo poo up on the fly as the DM" mindset that allows for some good imrpov and quality campaigns.

It sounds like you might want to look at OSR games. Try Worlds Without Number, the basic rulebook is free to download.

quote:

I have heard a ton of opposing opinions on pathfinder. That is has more freedom, that is has more rules, that is has more freedom because it has more rules. I am not really sure what to expect, and reading the 640 page manual seems daunting. So I guess my question is, for someone who is often times bad and gets confused as to how DnD wants me to do things so we just kind of wing it, is pathfinder a good framework for that style of play? Is it worse? Is it more confusing then DnD's already confusing ruleset?

Oh and before anyone asks, yes I am pretty dumb and bad at reading.

It's notably crunchier that 5e and there is a rule for everything someone might want to do. The rules are usually functional enough, but the expectation is that you *will* remember and use all of procedures instead of just eyeballing it. Some people will find the fact that there is this kind of structure convenient and comforting, some people will chafe at it.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

M. Night Skymall posted:

I think clerics suffer from the same problem as bards: they're very good, but can feel boring to play.

The one time I GM'd a PF2 game with a cleric, it was pretty sad watching them, tbh. You have to really love being nothing but a healbot.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Trouble in Otari wasn't that interesting tbh, just do AV.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Epi Lepi posted:

I have yet to play a space game where space combat is fun. I hope it gets solved at some point. It's just hard because if everyone doesn't have their own dogfighters you have to find a way to make a party equally enjoy being part of a crew.

I think in the Elite Dangerous RPG everyone does get their own space dogfighters. I wonder how well it works.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Syrinxx posted:

If you are a bit of a nerd you can definitely host for free on Oracle Cloud which blows doors on AWS t2.micro, and is still significantly faster than the Forge. The two tricks are (1) waiting until they open up resources to add new free accounts and (2) understanding Linux a little bit. My Foundry instance on Oracle Cloud hasn't incurred a fee for over 2 years and I run 2-3 games a week

https://foundryvtt.wiki/en/setup/hosting/always-free-oracle

I've gone through this a week ago and the hard part was actually registering an Oracle account. I had to switch back to Chrome and turn off my adblock and some other plugins for the account creation process to actually go through. In Edge it would just crap out at the "show a window where you can enter your CC info" stage.

I spent several months paying for Forge about a year ago and back then it was pretty slow and laggy. My current Oracle Free Cloud server is waaaay faster, both for me and my American players.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I checked my Humble Library and whoops the last two Pathfinder bundles I paid for I didn't actually redeem on Paizo's site! And one of them had this:

Note: Redeem code by December 10th, 2021.

Thankfully those codes still worked, phew.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

XenoCrab posted:

I'm glad that I bought so much LEGO recently that I was able to hold off buying a bunch of TTRPG PDFs for a couple weeks at full price. Now all the PDFs are mine!

An unrelated follow-up, what advice would any of you give to someone who is basically starting at zero with TTRPGs but thinks Pathfinder looks like something that would be super fun to GM and/or play and now has a bunch of the resources needed to make that happen?

Two extra bits of information:
1) I've played ~4 one-shot sessions of D&D in my life
2) I have a handle on the basic rules of PF2e and have run some basic encounters on paper by myself to see the rules in motion (which was surprisingly stressful and involved a lot of rereading rules and looking up actions/effects/etc...)

TBH I think PF2e might be a bit much for a newbie GM. My personal stumbling block with it was that while the basic mechanics are pretty logical and functional, there is like a special rule and subsystem for everything, including many things I'd prefer to just do a simple ruling on.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I've read that crafting is balanced to not be any better than just buying whatever it is that you want, to protect the in-game economy. So it's useful if you're, like, stuck in some weird dimension, but if you can go visit a big city between the delves it's not worth the bother.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

M. Night Skymall posted:

The designers of PF2E wanted to get rid of ability scores to maybe prevent this kind of weird rear end thinking, but the people in the playtests voted heavily against it, so we still have vestigial ability scores where your boosts should be decided by your class/subclass choices.

Every time I hear about the designers wanting to do something, but the playtesters voting against it (ability scores, automatic bonus progression, free archetype, etc) I hate those grogs more and more.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

bagrada posted:

We just finished playing our first session of the beginner box on foundry VTT. Almost every time the GM did something with a monster (roll a save or take damage, but not roll attacks or deal damage), the UI elements (but not the battle map or any panels open) shifted up offscreen. Sometimes a little bit, sometimes only the bottom bits are sticking out. No notable way to drag them back down. F5 fixed it with a short reload but it happened for all of us quite a bit, in several browsers. The GM is going to update everything before our next session and see if he can figure it out.

That's really weird. If it happened on multiple browsers, I guess he installed a few modules too many.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Lamuella posted:

How did you find the Foundry setup? I'm considering shifting a campaign from roll20 to Foundry but what's put me off so far is the thought of hosting. It's been enough work trying to get newbies to understand Pathfinder. Trying to get them to understand port forwarding might be a bridge to far.

EDIT: this might be more of a question for your GM than for you.

I'm not in IT and I don't know much about servers and stuff, but I found this guide on hosting FVTT for free on Oracle Cloud intimidating, but ultimately fairly easy to follow:

https://foundryvtt.wiki/en/setup/hosting/always-free-oracle

Now I've got a really fast, stable and always-online FVTT server for free. It's great.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Absalom is supposed to be relatively close. These measurements aren't quite canon, but Otari is about 40-50 miles away from it by leisurely coastal travel. (Sail out in the morning arrive in the evening, if using non-magical sailboat speeds.) I'd go with B) and C) and maybe even let them visit Absalom if you have the book/are willing to set up a whole big city for them.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Mar 27, 2023

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
The info on Absalom is mostly in the Absalom Map Folio and the Absalom guidebook.

I believe Agents just has a big generic map of Absalom without any of the shops etc marked and a whole bunch of specific sites/warehouses/cave systems where the agents-ing takes place.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
it's aight

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
If you're not sure, go "let's go with X for now, but I'll research this and decide during the week" then search/ask on the Internet after the game.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
People are discussing it here:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3849301&pagenumber=1055

No need to spread it across multiple threads.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Have they actually mentioned when this stuff is coming out?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Here's what the devs' previous game looks like:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1969440/Sunday_Gold/

It looks decent.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I still haven't played through Kingmaker or Wrath because I launch them, play for a bit and it's PF1 ughhhhhhhhhhhh.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Roadie posted:

Foundry is fine. Don't be a pseudorandom number generator conspiracist.

pssst, Epi Lepi I think this guy is on the pseudorandom number generator payroll

very sus imo

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I am currently setting up a new Foundry PF2e campaign and I've got like forty modules switched on. Sigh.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Lamuella posted:

Just so everyone avoids the minor irritation I just put myself through: while Version 11 of Foundry is out now, the latest version of Pathfinder for Foundry only works on version 10, so hold off for a while before updating.

"Don't upgrade Foundry to a new version for a while" should be the default behavior for anyone who owns it. It often breaks everything.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Jen X posted:

Pathfinder was super, super edgy early on, and they trafficked in a lot of the misogyny (especially in artwork), bigotry, and ableism of a bunch of 2000s geeky dudes' wildest dreams, but they've at least been consistently inclusive of queer identities since the start

They've been correcting the extra cheesecake in their hot evil chick villains by redeeming them and as a redeemed hot evil chick simp, I am down with it.

1e/2e Nocticula

1e/2e Sorshen

1e/2e Arazni

Looking forward to nicer, chiller Urgathoa in 3e.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Silver2195 posted:

The lore wiki page on Nocticula is pretty vague about what specific bad things she did; her career as a demon lord seems to have consisted mostly of killing other demon lords. Whereas Sorshen's "lustfulness" is specifically tied to her mastery of mind control magic, and this is central to the concept of Thassilonian Rune Magic; even if you ignore all more specific 1e lore, that's unavoidably icky.

Taciturn Tactician posted:

Nocticula was the queen of succubi and was explicitly a sadist, and you think she's responsible for less reprehensible sex crimes than a single rune mage? Have you seen what succubi get up to in Wrath of the Righteous?

i can fix them

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Facebook Aunt posted:

Redemption is for everybody. :colbert:

(As long as they're attractive. If you're a mid dude, just die, sorry.)

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
So I am two sessions into running Abomination Vaults now for a bunch of new players. I only have a few months' experience with the system as well. It's a bit of struggle remembering all the stuff and making it all work, but I'm enjoying it.

One of my players is a Sprite Mastermind Rogue. So the whole Mastermind shtick is using Recall Knowledge on enemies to gain Flatfooted against them and Recall Knowledge in combat is already a pretty complicated affair with a lot of room for interpretation, as seen if you search for "Recall Knowledge combat". What do you tell them, can they do it multiple times, can you do it again if you failed the previous round, etc.

So they fought the mitflits this session and the Rogue has been gaining Flatfooted (which he needs for the Sneak Attack) on the enemies with intermittent success - it's his Nature +5 vs their baseline Nature Recall Knowledge DC13. Then they get to the Boss Mitflit and his Recall Knowledge DC is 25, because he's a named enemy. Compared to the other Rackets the Mastermind is... kinda screwed here and with other boss monsters, no? Is that how it's supposed to be handled?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

As above, but even then he's not screwed - there are a bunch of ways to get flat footed. He's going to need to get the party to help him by either flanking, grabbing, or knocking the boss prone. He can also attack from hidden.

He's a tiny-rear end 7 inch tall sprite, so he built the character ranged and picked Mastermind because it's the best way to get Flatfooted at a distance. He's not too eager to run closer and start stabbing the enemy in its ankle.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Could also take a dedication in a fitting Archetype, like Monk, Martial Artist, Weapon Improviser, Wrestler.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

dex_sda posted:

Yeah I'll have a rapier or something for emergencies or people who really need to get got.

Since you'd need to keep multiple weapons invested with runes and poo poo and since switching between weapons is a hassle in PF2e, it might be easier to learn a feat that lets you do lethal/nonlethal as you choose without penalties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

dex_sda posted:

What kind of a feat would that be?

As mentioned above, Tools of the Trade for the Bounty Hunter. With this you could probably use whatever lethal weapon you want (chainsaw, cough) nonlethally.

https://2e.aonprd.com/Feats.aspx?ID=1915

quote:

You're well-versed in weapons that allow you to bring bounties in alive. You are trained with the following weapons: bola, sap, and whip. You gain access to bolas. Whenever you gain a class feature that grants you expert or greater proficiency in a given weapon or weapons, you also gain that proficiency in the weapons listed.

In addition, you take no penalty when making a nonlethal attack with a weapon without the nonlethal trait.

There are probably more, I don't have an exhaustive knowledge of the entire corpus of PF2e Feats.