Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

It's been a long time since I read the book but the king married Aemma when she was like 10 or 11 and got her knocked up when she was 12,, which probably explains why she had so many issues with childbirth.

I really dislike the whole concept in GRRM's world that girls are wife material as soon as they hit puberty. It doesn't track with what we know of medieval society. Betrothals and arranged marriage was common amongst nobility, but nobody was loving and making babies until both parties were in their 20s.

yeah ironically GoT show making everyone ~5 years older made it -more- historically arcuate than GRRM books

a quick glance at wikipedia article for Queens of England of medieval era show avg age of marriage was late teens, and in cases where marriage occurred earlier than late teens the first kids only came when she reached her late teens.

That being said you do have cases like Isabella of Valois whose husband ummmm

wikipedia posted:

On 29 June 1406 Isabella, aged 16, married her paternal cousin, Charles (1394–1465), aged 11.[9]

Her husband became Duke of Orléans in 1407 following the assassination of his father. She died in childbirth on 13 September 1409 at the age of 19. Her daughter, Joan of Valois (1409–1432) survived and married John II, Duke of Alençon (1409–1476) in 1424.[10]

Typo fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Sep 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes
GoT battle scenes were always bad, the heart of GoT was never the battles

the best battle in GoT was prob Blackwater in S2, mostly because of the Tyrion rally speech was memorable

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

ghouldaddy07 posted:

Remind me what the actors actual age is and what I.P we are watching.

Alicent was 18 in the books when she got married

I'm assuming she's the same in the show?

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

CapnAndy posted:

And that is obviously the reason why they aged her down, so they could make the two best friends.

I don't see why they can't be best friend with a 2 year age gap

Blue Nation posted:

Seeing how Otto sent his daughter to seduce the king now I wonder if Otto had a hand in Rhaenyra's and Alicent's frienship. I also lol'd at Alicent's "it doesn't have to be this way", as if she hadn't torpedoed her relationship with Rhaenyra.

The reason why nobles bring their kids to court in the first place is explicitly to intermingle/befriend nobles from other families. It's important for political reasons, so it's not a secret or anything.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah, it was pretty dumb of her after having just pulled rank to make her bard go away.

for a moment I thought the bard was suppposed to be the show's version of mushroom

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

E: here's the link in case anyone's interested. It's not a masterpiece retelling but it's far superior in just about every way.

it's stuff like this that convinces me D&D just wasn't trying anymore by S8 and just wanted to get it over with so they can move onto STAR WARS

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Baron Porkface posted:

It didn't decapitate anyone except a papacy that famously bounces back from having it's popes burned.

You don't decapitate a feudal system there's always some guy getting a promotion.

The Tyrells were wiped out except Olenna

unlike in the books Loras/Magarey were the only Tyrell kids, so the line is just dead cuz I'm pretty sure Olenna is past child bearing age

it's another early warning sign the series was going to poo poo, D&D couldn't figure out how to resolve the Tyrell/King's landing storyline properly, so they literally blew everyone up

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Pattonesque posted:

yeah and like, even if Mace, Margaery and Loras all die, the Tyrells all still have their soldiers in that city? And the religious troops are still there? And like, unless they got literally every lord pledged to the Tyrells in the city, their next step has to be immediately besieging Cersei in the Red Keep, right?

D&D kinda forgot about their existence

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

BigglesSWE posted:

I think the last interesting thing that went beyond very obvious shallow poo poo in GoT was the reveal that the Red Witch was actually very old and frail. One of those things that didn’t really amount to much but it was an interesting idea.

I thought Hold-the-door was the last good reveal of the show (IIRC this was post-melisandre) and one of the best scenes in the whole series period, like this was something very few people even in the fandom predicted

also you can tell this is like the last thing GRRM gave them details on

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Chemtrailologist posted:

Don't forget Jon having to go into exile so the Dothraki and Unsullied don't riot after he kills their queen. They leave two minutes later and he still goes north.

If the plot made sense Grey worm would have just killed Jon on the spot

Dany also made every Dothraki her blood rider, so they are honor bond to kill Jon on sight

yet in the last eps they just ignore him while he's walking by lol

D&D kinda forgot about those things

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes
So right in the show the most sympathetic character by far is Alicent

pretty big improvement on the books imo, in the books you just kinda hate the Greens off the bat

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes
she seems to genuinely care about Viserys as a person she just doesn't want to have sex with him

at this point of the story she has almost zero agency, so it's kinda hard to tell whether she's a good person or not, and if they follow her book arc no she's not lol

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Tender Bender posted:

I didn't mention how the final conflict sets up Dany's army as consisting solely of the foreign non-white savages who are consumed by bloodlust and unable to stop killing (the Dothraki, fine, but the unsullied were explicitly the opposite of that), while the white European heroes are shocked and horrified and just want them to stop.

I mean that could still be what GRRM had planned but it sucks either way.

that eps also explicitly showed white northern soldiers raping king's landing unless I'm really misremembering

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes
Let's just not talk about the whole Stannis-plot debacle, I can already feel the disappointment all over again....

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes
realistically both the Dothraki and Unsullied would have stayed in Westeros and carved out their own fiefdoms, there's no real reason to go back, -they- are the strongest military power in this new land. So why go back? Now that Dany is dead her great Khalasar will split and be divided between various strongmen/warlords, at least some of whom will want to rule over portions of Westeros.

the Dothraki would probably have done something similar to what the Mongols did in China/Persia, which is to just turn themselves into sedentary ruling caste of a conquered land over the course of couple of generations

So no Bronn wouldn't have gotten Highgarden (lol wtf was that), some Dothraki warlord would have gotten the Reach and repeat the process by which the Andals intermixed with/displaced the First Men when they showed up

Typo fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Sep 14, 2022

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Typo fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Sep 14, 2022

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Pattonesque posted:

Euron's entrance onto the Sand Snakes' ship where he rides a boarding ladder that crushes some poor Dornish dude was pretty metal tho

show Euron is just so fking wacky you just kinda have to love him

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

ruddiger posted:

Ramsey’s intro was handled so well, all the other silly poo poo was overlooked. That last season is rough tho. I remember the Arya/Sansa “ooh they don’t trust each other!” stuff was really hackneyed, not to mention Gendry running all the way back to the wall impossibly fast.

the LittleFinger dies storyline was the worst fking thing ever

it's like Bran/Sansa randomly accused him of a bunch of crimes and instead of being the super smooth talker he had being S1-S4, he doesn't even try to contest the charges he just gives up and dies.

It's an early warning of a pattern where every single character just start becoming complete loving idiots.

at very least he should have demanded to take the black or something: this is LF, he would have said -anything- to keep breathing.

If D&D wanted to kill him it should have being by him demanding a trial by combat as a last resort, so at least it circles back to his duel with Brandon and thus completing his character arc

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Darko posted:

It all started with his explicitly weird plan to turn the sisters on each other while psychic Bran is blatantly telling him that he sees everything in the meantime. And then the "trial" is stuff that was irrelevant, already exonerated with Santa's testimony, or stuff he could have easily denied (in some cases where he already framed someone else). I mean, if he knew Bran was psychic, why is he even there - and if not, why not challenge his stupid psychic testimony?

Varys also acted like a complete idiot in the end in trying to commit the most obvious treason ever while sitting in the vulnerable position of being surrounded by people who could execute him for treason.

yeah also the specific thing bran accused him of (betraying ned) wasn't even some secret which required psychic powers, there were literally hundreds of eye witnesses to LF putting a dagger to Ned's throat: in fact given how much people talk it's prob common knowledge by now

moreover, it's not even really a crime: Ned Stark publicly confessed that he was mounting an illegal coup d'etat against Robert's children, so LF could legit claim that he was just defending his rightful king.

If the whole thing is supposed to be a kangaroo court and Sansa was gonna kill him anyway fine the point isn't whether LF lives or dies the point is he's not some idiot he turned into by that point of the show

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes
Also the political/religious implications Jon Snow's resurrection among the nobility was just NEVER dealt with

So he could legally leave the Nights watch cuz he died and got resurrected, so he didn't break his vow. Deserting Night's Watch carries the death sentence otherwise.

Then it's just never brought up again when he's trying to gather support amongst the northern nobility, but he's either

1) A deserter, and need to be hung on sight, or at least have some sort of excuse for why this is ok -this time-

2) A man who literally came back from the dead, thanks to the magics of a priestess of the Red God, proving that a god anathema to the old gods of the north is real. And you can legit claim that Jon is now some sort of actual demi-god.

Either would have huge implications on the entire north, the whole thing is just ignored

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Tender Bender posted:

The actual trial is fine, it's the "power is power" dynamic that made Ned's play fail in the first place. The facts and law are irrelevant, what matters is that Littlefinger had no power in that situation and his enemies had all the power.

That's fine, the point is book/early season LF would have tried to talk his way out of it, and done a pretty good job

if Sansa just said idgaf still wanted to just execute him afterwards that's 100% fine, the point isn't' what Sansa did, it's what LF -didn't- do

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Tender Bender posted:

Yea I mostly agree, but my point is that by the time he's in that room with those people in that situation, there's no talking his way out and no one would listen. It's how he got to that position that's stupid. Littlefinger gets himself on top of the vale and then just starts engaging in incredibly stupid plots designed to get himself killed, like a 3-season version of Varys' "I'm done being a character I want to die now" from S8
the "turning sisters against each other" thing was dumb af

I actually kinda wonder if it came down to a vote ala tyrion's trial what would have happened "realistically"

since there were 2 factions in the room at the time: the Stark bannermen/wildlings and the Arryn Bannermen. The northerners prob would have sided with w/e Sansa wanted, but it seems like LF had a pretty positive working relationship with Yohn Royce dude, so how the Arryn vassals would have reacted is far more ambiguous

at very least there would have being some protest at the kangaroo nature of the trial, not following due process for executing high ranking members of the nobility was what got Aerys overthrown. And LF is the lord of Harrenhal/Lord Protector of the Vale and near the very top run of the nobility at this point

Typo fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Sep 15, 2022

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

roomtone posted:

i'm expecting house valerion and hightower to get absolutely loving obliterated at some point because they are never brought up in the GOT era.

They are, House Velaryion is sworn to Stannis in the books

the show "kinda forgot" about them

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes
Oldtown is kinda like the NYC to kings landing's washington DC

quote:

House Velaryon is the oldest ally of Targaryens even before Aegon the Conqueror
Aegon's mother was a Velaryon in the books

so it's kinda amazing how far they had fallen by the events of GoT, when they were reduced to a minor house sworn to Dragonstone

Typo fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Sep 16, 2022

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes
the world of HoTD is just much smaller than GoT

which is good and bad at the same time, one of the best parts of GoT (esp the books) was the very beginning when you get shown just enough to make the GoT universe feel big enough to be "real".

Rather than just a stage for a play you feel like the universe is this thing where everything has an origin and the cogs would keep turning even if you weren't watching it.

E: first couple of chapters had such good foreshadowing too: like the Direwolf and the Stag killing each other, the direwolf pups, and:

quote:

When he opened the door, the light from within threw his shadow clear across the yard, and for just a moment Tyrion Lannister stood tall as a king.”

Typo fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Sep 18, 2022

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

PostNouveau posted:

The most destabilizing thing to have happened so far is the birth of a prince which Otto caused.

betrothing rhaenyra and aegon frankly isn't that bad an idea from a political stability standpoint

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Gresh posted:

Looks like Amazon is finding out that the only thing that could tear down the House of the Dragon is itself.

https://twitter.com/TheWrap/status/1572758934808576000

HoTD S1 has less than half the budget of Ring of Power S1 (it's like $200 mil vs $450 mil)

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Roman Reigns posted:

Honestly surprised the more family friendly fantasy show with high production values and established fanbase isn't more popular.

as it turns out, decent writing is a lot rarer than good CGI nowadays, and the audience do care about the former

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OLA3mHaTPY

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Odoyle posted:

I conjecture the Dragons House and Power Rings quality battle boils down to lighting and camera lens selection. Ring show looks like the Time Wheel show and that show looked like Princess Xena. The cinematographer(s?) chose a lens that didn’t open up wide enough to provide a challenging depth of field to isolate the subject from the background in intimate shots. Everything is therefore in focus and looks like it was shot on a cheap fixed-lens camera with a narrow f-stop. I guess they want their expensive digital mattes to look sharp on a 4K home display or something?
isn't saving money why "poor lighting" gets used in scenes?

the darker it is, the less you have to show, the less the CGI budget

like ppl complained about how in GoT "long night" episode where they fight white walkers at winterfell is "too dark to see anything", but that's the point. If it's too dark to see anything then you don't have to spend nearly as much CGI budget to create stuff for the audience to see.

Typo fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Sep 22, 2022

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

roomtone posted:

you want a good girl but you need the bad pussy

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Tender Bender posted:

Found this on twitter, it's good

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

zoux posted:

My recs are gonna be hosed for this one

:barf:

I did not fking look at the guy's channel except that one vid lol

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Toplowtech posted:

To be honest Asoiaf is published at a glacial pace. I mean a whole mountain of ice in the Alps actually melted faster than GRRM wrote his books. Years and years of book-readers' blue-balls are exploding with those TV shows. And people are trying not to spoil you the good poo poo for 3 seasons in 5 lines, believe it or not, so you get the tangential insane poo poo.

At this point...why not just outsource the writing to Preston Jacobs or whatever, or at least ask them how on how they think <X subplot> should be resolved so he doesn't need to spend 5 years slowly coming up with the conclusion to the all-important Rosby inheritence subplot or w/e

I mean it's not like GRRM actually has a stake anymore, he's rich either way, might as well as just get it over with

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

stephenthinkpad posted:

HBO is redoing the best part of GOT, which is S1 low fantasy royal intrigue. At least that's what the hardest core of hardcore fans consider the most important part of GOT. If they stick the landing on this show, they can make many more spinoff shows in the same property.

I can see 2-3 seasons each on the blackfyre rebellion/robert's rebellion/Aegon's conquest after the Dance of Dragons arc is done

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

stev posted:

I know I'm just torturing myself but I still want to know how the Griff and Stoneheart plots were going to turn out and how they'd have changed/recontextualised things. Everything else was sort of rushed through poorly by the show so I'm not as bothered as I was a decade ago. Those two though...

it's pretty obvs that Griffington will be the one to sack/destroy king's landing

the bells ringing which made Dany go on insane murderous rampage make complete sense if it makes Connington do the same.

His entire backstory is him feeling guilt/regret for not burning down a city during the battle of the bells to kill Robert when he had the chance. His failure led to the death of his love Rhaegar. His core motivation is to fix that one mistake by putting "Rhaegar's son" on the throne. The implications are obvious.

Typo fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Sep 23, 2022

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes
I can't think of any reason why the Blackfyres would get brought up over and over again in the first 3 books if Young griff isn't one

If Chekov's gun haven't started firing 5/7 through the story I don't know when it would

Typo fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Sep 23, 2022

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Interesting interpretation. I actually thought it was going to be the presence of young Griff that would drive Dany over the edge. A charismatic young man claiming to be the real heir, who the people love, who is already king by the time she arrives, combined with Dany spiralling into schizophrenia and Tyrion whispering foul things into her ear. That might be because I am brain poisoned by the Blackfyre theory though....

the bells ringing are a dead giveaway

it's clearly something GRRM told them was going to happen, but they cut the Griff boat from the show so it made no sense

it also make Connington's story go full circle: he will prob end up killing Tommen imo, thus making him the same as the monsters who killed Rhaegar's children. Fits with one of the overarching themes of ASOIAF: which is that pursuing vengeance is ultimately self-destructive and pointless.

Typo fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Sep 23, 2022

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes
tbf it's not that hard when a lot of it is just doing find-replace on a wiki article of the Han dynasty

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes
Warhammer fantasy also do the "find-replace wiki article" thing to build its own version of not-china, to the point where I get confused between the WH and Asoiaf versions of not-China sometimes, since there are so many similarities

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

stephenthinkpad posted:

Mother of dragons!

I just realized the GoT world completely forgot about dragons in about 100 human years.

yeah like when they talk about dragons they act like it's something which existed 4000 years ago or something, like the way we think about the Wolly Mammoth

The last dragon in Westeros died around 150 years before the events of GoT, to put things in perspective that means it's about as recent as the US Civil War to us. They really shouldn't have being -that- surprised that a couple showed up. Also I think it's mentioned somewhere dragons always existed in Asshai or something.

bobjr posted:

Dragons just seem like a pain to have around in general. Dany herself couldn't keep them free because they would go off and eat people.

That's what the dragondome was for

they are like nuclear weapons: strategic assets which requires a lot of maintenance