Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

Bring in David Tennant as a Lannister and Christopher Eccleston as a Stark or a Greyjoy, obviously!

David Tennant Highgarden.

Patrick Capaldi Lannister.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
They spent a lot of money on that anime.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

The opening sequence tries to mirror GoT so hard but serves no purpose. The original big map zooms were tailored for each episode to introduce us to the geography of the world and where the major story beats would take place. This is just a pale imitation that serves no narrative purpose.

They really should have gone for something drastically different.

Not defending the new titles, but the old titles -- though they started well -- quickly became dsynched to the music and wouldn't necessarily update regularly. They were good in concept, but got worse as the show went along IMO.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Whale Vomit posted:

Great episode, and far better than the first. Rhaenyra proved herself as a really compelling character and the actor who plays her did a phenomenal job in that last scene. You really saw her heart break for the person she clearly is in love with.

Oh yeah, right? I'm so ready for what I assume is going to be a very gay war.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

sure okay posted:

Typical Targ hypocrisy for Rhaenyra to first shrug her shoulders at her 12 year old cousin getting shotgun married to her dad, going "Well, he is the king after all!" And then walking out in a huff when it's actually her friend getting married instead.

Yes, her :airquote: friend :airquote:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Sentinel Red posted:

Viserys’ problems are he’s a nice, decent dude and perhaps also obsessed with the bigger picture, ie the annoying prophecy poo poo. He doesn’t want to risk getting into conflict with anyone because he’s thinking poo poo may literally go south at any moment and the realm has to be united and ready to go at a moment’s notice. The poor bastard doesn’t know it won’t happen for over 150 years, he thinks it could happen tomorrow, bless. He just needs to get over not telling people to shut the gently caress up and order some crab broiling to get underway.

IMO he's also kinda an arsehole, given how he'll randomly allow mass slaughter on his streets or his allowing a non-consensual operation on his wife. But not an unusual arsehole in this setting, no.

I'm surprised that, between the growing food / trade crisis and the mass slaughter by, and then subsequent abscondment of, the city guard, that King's Landing hasn't fallen into some sort of civil conflict.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Toplowtech posted:

He was the last of Balerion's riders. Balerion the black dread was the dragon Aegon the first. Powerful symbolism and the suckers who buy into it made him king. Also "if we elect a queen, we may start having female claimants".

I hadn't thought of this -- that legitimising Rhaenyra effectively puts Rhaenyris back on the table.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Damien MyDragons.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Vegetable posted:

Cristian Cole feels like a very GRRM name. Like the dude is obviously gonna be way more significant than his basic rear end name suggests.

They're presenting him as the handsome nice guy knight right now, so I assume he's gonna secretly be an arsehole, since Thrones likes subverting the chivalry stuff.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Tom Tucker posted:

They're using the Volume really well. There's a behind-the-scenes showing how the entire standoff on Dragonstone was filmed on it.

Dragonstone looked decent, but the sept in the same episode looked nowhere near as good.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Elea posted:

Very confused why a dude sprinting directly towards the caves with the entire enemy army inside would somehow lure them out. Was he gonna do a u turn when he got to the entrance and sprint back or start running in circles or something? Hope it's an outlier of stupidity.

I suspect a lot of this is down to the show trying to tell these big war stories through the lens of one or two characters in the conflict, while trying to be classically dramatic about it all. So someone needs to win by doing a big symbolic hero moment, but we're only following the tip top of the hierarchical chain so it has to be one of them that does it, leading to this kind of nonsense.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

No Luck Needed posted:

they are really going to time skip out their main actress? I told a friend it felt like they wanted to start HotD at season 4 and not build up the characters. Imagine if they spent time building this up, maybe I would care more about Otto losing his job

It's kinda the other way around. They cast the older version first, and then found an actress to play them as a younger person.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Groovelord Neato posted:

I'm not a book reader and the quality drop between 4 and 5 (and 4 was itself not as good as 1-3) was massive. It still boggles my mind how even reviewers didn't "get" that the show had gone to poo poo until the final season.

I think it's just that phenomenon where people keep expecting a show to be something different until it ends, and the show finally proves it's not the thing some audience members thought they were watching all along.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

BigglesSWE posted:

Tbf we’re a few eps in and it took a while before GoT got truly wide geographically.

I really wish they’d do some other theme music though. It’s kind of lazy to just slap the same (but poorly cut) theme song to the opening.

Yeah, this is the part that bothers me so so much more than anything else.

Curious to see it they change it next season, though IMO they've done it now and changing it wouldn't imbue me with confidence.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

TheBizzness posted:

Maybe I’m a dumb dumb but why is the Queen so upset?

Yeah, what other people have said about her position and children being threatened is very much a part of it, but a huge part is that she's very, very gay for Rhaenyra. Or at least IMO.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Emily Carey identifies as queer and has flat out said that there were parts of the show where she and Milly thought that their characters were about to kiss at certain points. So, no, it wasn't only you that saw a lot of gay angst between them.

Yeah, I've a friend who's been reading Rhaenyra as potentially trans / genderqueer, partly influenced by Emma D'arcy's casting.

Either way, I've been reading this show through a feminist/queer lens for the most part. If they just crowned Rhaenyra king and Allicent married her as queen, then quite a lot of the brewing conflict could probably be sorted.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I loved the music cue the feature prominently when the dress debuts. Actually, I think it might be the debut of that musical theme as well, I can't remember noticing it before.

The music really sells it as this big moment, you just know that turning up at someone else's wedding in a big showy dress and doing the slow walk while stunting on the King is a big loving deal, but the music sells it as the debut of some kind of big war. The show's saying that this is the bit conflict going forward.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Proto Tyrion was giving me strong baby Iago vibes this episode. He strikes me as being very dumb this week, way overplaying his hand.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

unlimited shrimp posted:

It wouldn't be a pop culture thread without an "intent vs outcome" debate.

but does that matter if it wasn't intentional????

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Watch them cast Milly Alcock in a new role come season two.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Just throwing it out there since a few of you might be unaware, but Emma D'arcy is non-binary i.e. they uses they/them pronouns and is an "actor" rather than an "actress".

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I swear Olivia Cooke is a head taller, or at least giving a more intimidating performance, than Carey.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I do like that this show is leaning more heavily on the magic and magical realism than Thrones did -- they're more interested in thinking about dragons and showing their various manoeuvres as dragons (as opposed to just using them as fire drones). Then there's the king's sickness, his slowly growing model, and even the daughter with what I'm thinking is maybe psychic visions?

It's a lot more frequent and casual about this stuff than the OG series, which, while it certainly didn't lack for low fantasy elements, was IIRC less frequent with its more elaborate fantasy touches and tended to keep them a step or two removed.

I remember being so so disappointed with the red priests in Thrones. The show never seemed to know what to do with them, and I'd occasionally hear about something cool a book version would do and then the show would just choose to not adapt it.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
This show couldn't handle Alfre Woodard.

Few shows could.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Anonymous Zebra posted:

There aren't any book spoilers in there beyond [FUTURE EVENTS]

oh come onnnn

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

That DICK! posted:

Lol cmon pal. 11 years! 11 years you been doin this

...how long have you been doing math?

But, no, seriously. I just don't get the point of having a spoiler free thread if there are multiple posters who'll come in here and indicate the nature of future events, or try to guide people's speculation. I feel like anyone's who's been here for a decade (or nearly a decade in my case, oh gently caress) has seen it a bunch, and I know I've definitely seen posters leave threads because goons overstepped these boundaries -- something I feel it'd be so easy to just not do. I'm struggling to find a way to talk about this, but for the want of a better way: it just feels disrespectful, and against the ostensible goals of the thread.

If a thread's marked as being spoiler free, then surely it should be spoiler free?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Weasling Weasel posted:

Like, are we claiming here that David Tennant doesn't have any dominant genes, being as it is his son?

Ty Tennant is both the son and the grandson of the same time travelling space alien, so the accusation of incest still stands IMO.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

i say swears online posted:

she's doing a manufactured outrage because she's scared, angry and dumb

Yeah, it's manufactured outrage on Alicent's part, partly driven by some of her supporters listing for power (her father, Larys) and partly driven by her rage against, and jealousy of, Rhaenyra's ability to flaunt the system. She feels she's owed something, because of everything she's given up* and is gonna use any public reason excuse available to her to take her satisfaction.

*I'm reading the character as same-sex attracted and in denial about it, but there are plenty of other reasons why she'd be mad for buying into a patriarchal monarchy even if you don't buy that read.

Compare / contrast with Cole, who very much would love to buy into patriarchal ideals (his dumb little fantasy with Rhaenyra) but discovered his maleness didn't prevent him from being on the lovely end of the stick, and lashed out because of it

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

roomtone posted:

I 100% read it that way at least in the first episode. I think the line early on about how Rhaneyra wanted to fly away with Alicent on her dragon was what tipped it along with how touchy they were with each other - but the impression faded over time and at this point I don't really see any hint of it. They just fuckin hate each other.

Yeah, I reckon any love that was there is completely gone now, but the repression fueled anger and jealousy remains.

unlimited shrimp posted:

Homosocial relationships are not allowed.

Pretty sure my original post acknowledged the exact opposite of this, but okay.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Tosk posted:

Relevantly then, I'm really enjoying this so far but a friend mentioned the quality takes a nosedive after episode 6, is that anyone else's experience?

I'm guessing this is because episode six is the first episode with the aged up actors and IMO that's only been an improvement.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Darko posted:

I don't think there would by any fight between them. The crab king obviously wasnt a fighter and was falling apart; the fight would be Daemon swinging once and killing him.

Ah, but you're forgetting about his crab powers.

The powers of strafing.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I kinda hope this show breaks with that tradition, and puts the climax at the end of the season rather than in the second last episode.

It'd stop the season from ending with what's effectively a second season premier, only to be followed by, next year, with a second second season premier.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I 100% expected that sea of swords to finish the job it started all those episodes ago.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Metis of the Hallway posted:

Yeah there was no point in her giving her money if the tea was poison.

Well, their argument was that the money was a trick to convince her to drink the tea, and would be recovered from her corpse pretty quickly after.

Not that I agreed with it -- just stab her if you're gonna kill her, no poison required -- but there's logic to it.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

exmarx posted:

sonoya mizuno doing a bad french accent

I was wondering when they'd get back to her and her spy ring(?)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Oh man, I hope they don't do Starks and Lannisters and all that baggage. I get they're part of the world, but a) I appreciate the show's more specific focus on a handful of families, b) I don't want to be reminded of the original show, and c) Starks suck.

I've had enough of Starks. I hope they do new families, or at least families that didn't get nearly as much of a look in during the original, like the Dorne lot.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I'm not reading that, but I'm fine with one or two rando walk on characters.

You should get better at not spoiling poo poo in this thread tbh. I appreciate the sentiment, and the use of tags, but you've indicated something in that unspoiled part that is still basically a spoiler.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
It's the start of the second sentence, followed by a very large spoiler tag. The implications of that are pretty obvious.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

stephenthinkpad posted:

If you read the Asoiaf books, the Stark history is longer than the Targs. They go back to mythical times.

Like just use common sense.

In fact any of the Asoiaf major houses showing up is not a spoiler. I haven't read the book of this show because gently caress GURM.

Them showing up isn't the spoiler. Them having significant roles to play within this narrative, which was no certainty, is a spoiler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Robobot posted:

Criston and Alicent are gonna/have done sex stuff right? I'm assuming that's what that whole "If you ever loved me....as your queen" stuff meant. Or it's her way of manipulating him.

I don't think they're loving, but there's a sexual valence to their relationship, yeah.

Criston is definitely horny for her, he just sublimates it under chivalric duty. His comment about treating all women with the same reverence you'd treat your mum is probably quite telling; I wonder if he's had sex even once since he did it with Rhaenyra.

Alicent knows this, IMO, and is perfectly happy to use it control him, but I think she's also got enough residual piety to refrain from making a more aggressive overture. (Plus it would be a dumb move to give up her power.) It's similar to the foot scene; she's practical enough to play on her supporter's fascination with her, but she'll never go the full Thomas Pynchon. Look, but don't touch.

She won't gently caress Criston unless she can absolutely help it IMO.