Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Vegetable posted:

Did Otto really think he could kill Rhaenyra on the DL? I know he wanted the kingsguard to visit dragonstone or whatever but I didn’t think he seriously thought he could get rid of Rhaenyra just like that. His stance wasn’t sketched that clearly imo.

All he would need is 20 good men

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

smoobles posted:

War were declared

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

wilderthanmild posted:

Is the Book worth reading? If it's really gonna be like fall 2 years from now before season 2 comes out, fuccckk.

It's not bad if you're into this stuff. It's a much more straightforward account than asoiaf though.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I like that Winterfell and the Starks are barely featured. They're distant, backwoods lords with little immediate connection to what goes on in the south.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

this shot is brilliant and should be shown in any film study class

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

TyrantWD posted:

It could also just be a case of when dragons fight each other, they do what they feel they need to do, riders will be damned. Have dragons ever had to go up against each other since the doom of Valyria?

Once, I think. Aegon's son (Maegor) and his nephew (Aenys) had a dragon fight during a previous succession dispute. Maegor rode Balerion, so it played out similarly to what just happened in the show.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

DaysBefore posted:

In the book yeah for sure, Aegon the Conqueror's son Maegor fought his nephew (another Aegon) during a succession dispute.

Not really a spoiler (especially for this show) but playing it safe for folks

gently caress I can't keep track of their names. Right, aegon's son was anus. His grandson was another aegon.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

wilderthanmild posted:

I don't think he disowned the ending at all and it appears that is the ending he planned. The difference likely being that his ending would include a lot more lead up than like Dany being sad that Northerners like Jon more. I saw a lot of theories that her downfall probably ties in with the pretend Aegon guy that doesn't exist in the show.

As far as I know, the only major ending for a character that is unambiguously a D&D invention is the Night King getting stabbed by Arya because they basically said they made that part up themselves in the post show stuff.(Edit: I guess that's kinda irrelevant anyway because the Night King himself is a D&D invention, but I guess it's still the ending to the coming winter?)

Assuming he ever finishes the books, the overall ending we got is probably the same or very similar, but the journey to get there will make it make more sense.

It makes total sense that their end to the white walker conflict was essentially the same as the end of every Marvel movie. Out of every bad decision they made, that one had to be the worst.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

CornHolio posted:

I'm another person that ordered the book and started it last night. I could never get through the Silmarllion but after about 20 pages I'm really enjoying this book so far. I wish it came with a map though, I have trouble visualizing the relative locations of a lot of the places they mention.

http://quartermaester.info/

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

bobjr posted:

Wrong sister wife died

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

stephenthinkpad posted:

He could have just told Alicent what he said to her earlier, that the Blacks will kill her and her childrens (which is pretty common scenerio in real history.)

I get the impression this is a self-fulfilling prophecy here

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Eyepatch already looks like a 35-year-old. The casting for him was insane, but I love it.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I always thought the huge numbers were kind of interesting in a mythical way, but I also didn't put much thought into them.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Torquemada posted:

https://www.wikifeet.com/Olivia_Cooke

If it makes you feel better the foot liking community seems to be unhappy with the scene too.

I appreciate that the people visiting and conversing on an actress's feet wiki page are offended that they were portrayed as weird.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I always interpreted the Doom as "what if Rome had been the city under Mt Vesuvius"

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

The mummers are always a hoot

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I like that there was lots of talking and little spectacle. They might ruin it if/when they flip that (e.g. dragon exploding through the floor because they thought it would look cool).

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

One of my favorite details so far was when everything got totally silent during the coronation except for a few quiet echoed background coughs, because those coughs are always there in a big silenced crowd.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

People are going to yell at him whether he writes it or not, and he's already a huge success, so what's the point?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

That DICK! posted:

I would have absolutely loved more Jahaerys stuff but I get why that would be too meandering

I was gonna say the same thing. When I finished his chapters it really felt like an era had ended. But it wouldn't be the same kind of show as hotd/got.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

But I've always thought the whole thing had a whiff of self-mythologizing to prop up their own interests.

I don't think it's fully explained, but this is part of it. There's a whole religious tenet that the targs forced onto the church that states that they're not normal humans and thus can do incest etc.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

roomtone posted:

A working class fantasy show is overdue

"All in the Family"

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

The Flintstones, but Fred works in the dragon pit

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

And as soon as medieval Europe really took off we decided to call it something else

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

You're gonna hate this, but the kids aren't named Daenerys. They're named Khaleesi, because people thought that was her name.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Well yeah, Maegor was a dick.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

It's a very long history of the kingdom, with lots of begats. The main books are better reads, but I did enjoy HotD.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Tender Bender posted:

I'm reading it now and it's okay, a lot of dry history description interspersed with very interesting, detailed, evocative setpieces. The stuff covered by HotD is the best stuff and starts about halfway through the book, there are a bunch of scenes I'm very excited to see. And also in hindsight it's impressive how much the show came up with on its own: Viserys is barely a character and an obese partying drunk, there's almost no characterization given to Alicent or Otto at all, Alicent is much older than Rhaenyra, etc. (all the changes/additions by the show are excellent).

Also, Rhaenyra gets fat and ugly (GRRM wants you to know this)

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

IP is king. Story is just an obstacle.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

TOOT BOOT posted:

I can't actually think of anything that would be that interesting that would be set after the main series. Especially based around Jon Snow being north of the wall in a completely depopulated area. Seems like Bran would have a pretty good handle on political stuff since he can just view the past and spy on people with raven, and killing off Dany and the Night King and then bringing them back would just diminish the ending to the main series which was already diminished by its execution.

One of the interesting things about ASOIAF was that it was a mostly generic low-fantasy medieval world that experienced a last gasp of magic and myth. The death of that marked the end of the story. A sequel would have to either cheapen that aspect of the first series or tell a more generic low-fantasy story, which is not really the reason people like the series. Prequels seem to be more popular with these big series anyway because it's easy to write an origin story and everyone's scared to write a new ending, but it made a lot of sense to do HOTD because that was when the cool stuff sort of necessarily happened.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Yeah but the dragons are dead for good, and all the magic north of the wall is too (giants, white walkers). It had already mostly left Westeros as seen in their inert religion and general lack of day-to-day magic. You see the contrast when characters travel eastward and encounter prophets who seemingly still have magic, faceless men, etc.

You're right about Bran, but I blame some of that on D&D's horrible handling of the ending. It's hard to really know what Martin intended there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Baudolino posted:

There is one thing i dont like about the show.
Why did they make the incest and grooming sexy and romantic? When it happens between uncle and niece irl its abusive and damaging as hell. I dont beleive that being cultural indoctrinated to reject the taboo against incest will somehow prevent that. But it appears like the only downside is that the two lovers are unfairly condemned by a small minded society?

it's also pretty problematic that they make dragons look so cool, when their actual purpose is murder