Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Way of the Hunter
PC, Xbox X/S, PS5

Subreddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/WayOfTheHunter/
Official Discord: https://discord.com/invite/wayofthehunter

Game has multiplayer where the host is the one who provides the game area and persistence, and clients hunt on "their" property. Sadly the main story can not be progressed by multiplayer!
PC has 4 player coop, Xbox has 3, and PS5 has 2 person coop.

Way of the Hunter is a realistic hunting game released on August 16th, 2022, which is available on PC, PlayStation 5, and Xbox Series X/S. In Way of the Hunter, you take on the role of a seasoned hunter who has just taken over his grandfather's hunting cabin and the opportunity to proceed with the family tradition of selling high-quality game meat.
Way of the Hunter © 2022 THQ Nordic AB, Sweden. Developed by Nine Rocks Games, published by THQ Nordic GmbH, Austria.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jH6Y06ZzGkA

What's this game about?

As the name implies, we're here to hunt. Base game comes with the Pacific Northwest and Transylvania, Romania. Basic premise is a young adult taking over their granddad's ethical hunting business, selling organic meat. There's a story told with voice acting and comics, emails and letters, and environmental story telling. However, basic premise is still about free form hunting. I'm sure most here are familiar with theHunter: Call of the Wild. This game is similar, but WOTH has a much slower pace, and less emphasis on perks. This game also veers bit more on the realistic side on most comparisons.

This game has a cool bullet cam that shows energy transfered, and vitals hit.

You can see more information about the trophy, and choose to sell the meat and antlers, or taxidermy and show it at your lodge.

Some of the gear available:

Animals leave tracks, poop, urine, and other marks on the wild. You can find them roaming from one place to another, and even spot deer travel paths, like in this picture.

These paths will take you to drinking spots, feeding zones, and even rest areas. Those will populate your map and show up on trackers, allowing you to find herds again.

GENETICS
Each animal is persistent. By shooting weaker bucks and leaving your stronger bucks, you can improve the overall fitness. By shooting mature does you make room for more junior does to take their place. If you go ham by eradicating all high trophy value and high meat value animals, the quality of the herd will be terrible. You can no poo poo practice wildlife management by selectively culling herds.

TRACKING
Most animals won't go down on one hit. You can check the blood from the impact. Pink? Hit the lungs. Green? Hit the stomach. Weird black streaks? Probably liver. The animal will run away and the blood will be smeared on leaves, blades of grass, and trees as it runs away. Rarely on a straight line. Sometimes to find your animal, you'll have to do loops, mark last seen blood mark and try different directions. It's ultimately very rewarding to try to find your trophy.

SHOOTING

You can change your scopes, buy different ones, or use iron sights. You can zero your sights, and wind and angle does affect shot travel. You can use Hunter Sense to get an approximation of the impact area and Joules on impact, or you can be a cool guy and eyeball it. Even a white tail is a large animal, and just nailing flesh won't bring it down. For best meat and trophies, you have to get a proper side shot into the lungs, but watch out for the scapula!

LODGE

At your lodge you can display animals, access the gun safe, buy new poo poo. You can choose what to display and how to display it.

ANIMALS

There's a lot of animals.

GAME ROADMAP

Current incoming stuff devs have been posting about as of August 2022:

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Aug 19, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Currently there are a bunch launch bugs in the game:

FOV is locked at 60. Dreadful for ultrawide.
Multiplayer has desync if anyone uses the Jeep.
ANimal behaviour can glitch out and either deer become super skittish, or fearless. Seems rare though.
Some perks make your sounds double?????

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

This sounds great! Anyone try it on the steam deck?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Actually I don't know! I'm not super familiar with Deck, what's some reasons in a game that it might not be great on it?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

The main thing this game has proved to me is that i'm a terrible hunter.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Been enjoying this so far
Hope they bring more guns and sights

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I know devs already nudged about it but I really want different grain loads on rifle rounds, because the game accounts for hit energy instead of arbitrary class alone. So .338 at 700m might be appropriate for a moose, but not at 100 meters. So having a few different rounds with you would be nice.

Same applies to shotguns and their shots. And some sort of weapon work bench for chokes would be amazing.

So far I've stalked same moose couple for 40-50 minutes once, finally lining up my shot, and the moose turns and only faces at me, slowly walking away. I lost them, and never got the shot. Yet it was a super rewarding experience.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Lumme
Mar 2, 2013
As alright this is at this point, it has some pretty odd things with environmetal sounds, small swamp puddles make wave sounds more suitable for large lakes or oceans, and ambient animal sounds are wery directional and rotate with you, which is not disorienting at all. And goddamn I hope they hurry up with the FOV slider, the current one is just an atrocity to the eyes. Anyways, here's some screenshots from driving around opening rhe map, maybe next I'll actually learn to hunt properly:

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Last few times I've played it has been LOUD with wind noise. I see the wind Guage and it's reading 30 to 40 ft/s. Which is a pretty freaking strong wind. Lol. Like 25 to 30 mph.
Interesting

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Lumme posted:

As alright this is at this point, it has some pretty odd things with environmetal sounds, small swamp puddles make wave sounds more suitable for large lakes or oceans, and ambient animal sounds are wery directional and rotate with you, which is not disorienting at all. And goddamn I hope they hurry up with the FOV slider, the current one is just an atrocity to the eyes. Anyways, here's some screenshots from driving around opening rhe map, maybe next I'll actually learn to hunt properly:

So.. this is probably not a specific National Park, but if you had to say it was, would you say Yellowstone or Yosemite?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
It takes very heavy inspiration, with some ridgelines matching photos, of the Nez Perce reservation area.

The ingame area is called "Nez Perce Valley" and it has private properties inside some sort of national forest or game reserve owned by the government. It's this semi sorta area, gamefied:

I'd imagine the devs didn't want to specifically state that it is a reservation in the game universe to avoid A METRIC ASSTON of american cultural baggage, but today in real life the Nez Perce tribe manage hunting, fishing, and other activities still in that area.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Aug 21, 2022

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Is there a bipod in the game?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
There isn’t but the community rep Michal said bipods are a common feedback and that it is noted on the discord.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Game needs a dog to retriever birds. And to pet. And to give funny names.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Here's a neat video that gives a good overview of the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-q6hkhdIRQ

Also agreed on dog.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Someone buy this and try it on the deck.

I’m not confident it will run very well on the deck.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

CainFortea posted:

Game needs a dog to retriever birds. And to pet. And to give funny names.

100% we need a huntin' dog.

They could easily balance it by giving the dog like a 2x or even 3x scent penalty (so you scare game off more easily if you're not careful) and by making it slow while tracking, and but make it good (slow) at tracking scent trails, very good (medium) at tracking blood trails, and drat Good (fast/run) at retrieving fowl shot within 100 yds.

(Maybe have dog be loud too, until you level it up)

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
**(PC) Version 1.16 patch notes:**
- Fixed: Disappearing blood tracks, partially (full fix is being worked on)
- Added: Ability to change Keybindings (work in progress, localized characters do not show in tutorials / encyclopedia)
- Added: FOV slider to Game options menu
- Tuned: Ultra widescreen support
- Tuned: Hunter sense blur is reduced
- Fixed: Clipping of player / firearms during movement
- Tuned: Lake sounds volume reduced
- Tuned: Wind sound volume reduced
- Tuned: Sleep spamming no longer advances animal age
- Tuned: Explorer difficulty is even easier (reduced speed of animal reactions, added more blood to streamline tracking)
- Tuned: Sell prices of meat
- Fixed: Mission Riddle Me This Part 3 blocking progress if player dies during walkie talkie dialogue
- Added: Limited photo mode boundaries in Ranger difficulty
- Fixed: Steyr Monobloc animation
- Added: Clipping mask for blur
- Tuned: Visual improvements to vital organs in Bullet camera
- Tuned: Improved and optimized save files
- Fixed: Rare crash connected with animal signs interaction
- Fixed: Improper synchronization of animal trophies and parameters in Multiplayer
- Tuned: Improved synchronization of character in Multiplayer
- Fixed: Climbing ladders no longer corrupts animations
- Fixed: Weather synchronization in Multiplayer

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Why is there no dog in this game? Game needs dog.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

FrozenVent posted:

Why is there no dog in this game? Game needs dog.

Please email the game devs my dog idea. T.i.a.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I do want a dog for company. Let's cyberbully devs.

Also patch is good. Nice to have proper FOV on ultrawide, and been able to play multiplayer without major issues.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

quote:

New development version of Steam patch 1.16 (build: 79649) & Steam Trading Cards are now available

Since the release of the 1.16 version, which brought PC players various fixes and features like keybinding, FOV slider, and Ultrawide screen support, we have identified a number of new issues. To address them, we have prepared a hotfix that should make your experience as originally intended. In order to bring you the fix as soon as possible, but also to allow ourselves the necessary time for more testing, we are releasing a beta version of the fix on Steam, accessible to every owner of the game on an opt-in basis. Please be aware that opting in means playing a version of the game that may not be 100% stable.

WARNING: Before you opt-in to play the Development branch on Steam, we strongly recommend that you back up your current save files. Your new saves will most likely not be compatible with the regular game if you later opt out of the Development branch.

See patch-notes for details.

How to back up WOTH save files on Windows:
1. Locate your local save files here: %localappdata%\WayOfTheHunter\Saved
2. Copy the files to a different folder for later use

How to opt in to the Development branch on Steam:
1. Go to your Steam Library, right-click on Way of the Hunter and select "Properties"
2. Go to the tab titled "Betas"
3. Enter the code "WotHBugHunting" in the empty field and click "Check code"
4. In the drop-down box, select the newly appeared "Development branch"
5. Let the game download the new patch (edited)

Again, playing the game on the Development branch will most likely ruin your save for the stable version. Back up your save files
We will be grateful for any and all feedback and bug reports via Redmine (when creating a ticket, please make sure that you enter the correct version): https://redmine.thqnordic.com/projects/way-of-the-hunter-community/issues/new

Oh, and before you check out the Development branch, some pleasant news. Steam Trading Cards are now available for Way of the Hunter. Gotta hunt them all!

Have a great weekend and good hunting!

(Development branch, Steam) Version 1.16 (build: 79649) patch notes:
- Fixed: Performance loss in woods
- Fixed: Displaying the wrong age class of animals (new hunted animals will show correct age but those already in the hunting log will not have correct age; this will be fixed in 1.17)
- Fixed: Removing the last purchased item after loading
- Fixed: Territory pass recovery after broken save
- Fixed: Puskin (Red deer with rifle stuck in antlers) sometimes spawning without one antler
- Fixed: Incorrect wolf meat degradation even if shot with recommended energy

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Despite there being desync, the multiplayer coop is so drat neat, too. Myself and Yooper were on the trail of some Mule Deer, and we both took a shot when they lined up well. Our deer ran away and we tracked them both and discovered both deer went to die in the same place, sticking together to bed down. My deer expired, and Yooper's was still alive, head down, mouth open, panting. He shot it again and it dropped right there and then for the final time.

Deer are known to bed down together, so that was a neat touch from the game. The fact that the game also has the bed down behaviour was super neat to confirm.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
**(Development branch, Steam) Version 1.16 (build: 79899) patch notes:**
- Fixed: Disappearing animals
- Fixed: Animals spawning next to the player during gameplay
- Fixed: Binoculars animation with FOV above 110
- Fixed: Crash on load
- Fixed: Crash after an infinite reload in Photo mode
- Fixed: Crash during “Ain't no cinnamon when sky's gone” cutscene
- Partially fixed: Stability issues in Swamps resulting in crashes
- Fixed: Riddle me this Part III progress blocker - dialogue can be re-triggered by interacting with the photo/dialogue will play automatically after player respawn following player death or exiting the game

Known issues:
- Crashes can still occur with low probability while shooting waterfowl for an extended period of time
- Previously disappeared mission animals will not reappear. We hope to be able to bring them back in a later patch, but sadly, right now the only way to progress is from the beginning, by deleting the current save file.
- Missing ladder sound

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Is this patch just for PC or console too?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

The Bananana posted:

Is this patch just for PC or console too?

The Dev branch patches are only for Steam for those who opt into them. When they hit stable, usually some days after, they become available for all.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Steam version is out stable.
GOG, Epic, and consoles are updating soon.

**(PC) Version 1.16.1.79899 patch notes:**
- Fixed: Performance loss in woods
- Fixed: Displaying the wrong age class of animals (new hunted animals will show correct age but those already in the hunting log will not have correct age; this will be fixed in 1.17)
- Fixed: Removing the last purchased item after loading
- Fixed: Territory pass recovery after broken save
- Fixed: Puskin (Red deer with rifle stuck in antlers) sometimes spawning without one antler
- Fixed: Incorrect wolf meat degradation even if shot with recommended energy
- Fixed: Animals disappearing when hit
- Fixed: Animals spawning next to the player during gameplay
- Fixed: Binoculars animation with FOV above 110
- Fixed: Crash on load resulting in a Fatal Error
- Fixed: Crash after an infinite reload in Photo mode resulting in a Fatal Error
- Fixed: Crash during “Ain't no cinnamon when sky's gone” cutscene resulting in a Fatal Error
- Partially fixed: Stability issues in Swamps resulting in a Fatal Error
- Fixed: Riddle me this Part III progress blocker - dialogue can be re-triggered by interacting with the photo/dialogue will play automatically after player respawn following player death or exiting the game

Known issues:
- Crashes can still occur with low probability while shooting waterfowl for an extended period of time
- Previously disappeared mission animals will not reappear. We hope to be able to bring them back in a later patch, but unfortunately, right now the only way to progress is from the beginning, by deleting the current save file.
Some players may experience certain story dialogue playing after every game load - holding Enter will skip it.
- During the mission "Not a huffle badger", badgers may disappear from the designated location. Resting until the following day should respawn them.
- Missing ladder sound

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

quote:

PC, PS5, and Xbox Series X/S version 1.16.2.80362 is now live for all players

Please find patch details in patch-notes

If you encounter issues or bugs, please report them via the THQ Nordic Redmine with your "Saved" folder attached (found in AppData/Local/WayOfTheHunter): https://redmine.thqnordic.com/projects/way-of-the-hunter-community/issues/new

As we continue to move ahead with more patches and updates, we understand that many players expect fixes and improvements to the co-op multiplayer. Issues with multiplayer remain highest priority items for us and the team is hard at work addressing them. We hope to bring you fixes to these issues in the near future.

Thank you for your patience and happy hunting!

(PC, PS5, Xbox Series X/S) Version 1.16.2.80362 patch notes:
- Fixed: Noah dialogue playing after every game load
- Fixed: Rivers missing after changing video settings
- Fixed: Small tree branches sometimes stopping bullets
- Partially fixed: Player getting stuck in trees (should happen less often)
- Tuned: Player noise in forests reduced
- Tuned: Hunter sense sound analysis now displays the distance in 20m intervals instead of rounding up to 50m

Known issues:
- Missing shot sound on the .338

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I still need that MP patch to get rid of the desync, but...

(PC, PS5, Xbox Series X/S) Version 1.17 patch notes:
- Added: Brown bear in Transylvania
- Tuned: Reduced chromatic aberration and vignetting
- Tuned: Multiple environmental visual bugs (e.g. levitating stones)
- Tuned: Multiple animations related to firearms handling and player movement
- Tuned: Firearm synchronization audio
- Fixed: (PS5/Xbox Series X/S) Difficulty reset after the game is rebooted
- Fixed: Hunting log data not updating properly if the animal was younger at the time of an earlier bullet hit (Fix is only for newly created hunting log entries. Older hunting log entries will be fixed in a future update)
- Fixed: Missing shot sound on the .338
- Fixed: Analytics turn off option
- Fixed: Animal reward update after integrity loss
- Fixed: Fixed Hunting log displaying all animals as 'Young' when no taxidermy data is available
- Fixed: Animation of small game animals stuttering when seen through optics
- Fixed: Individual animals straying too far from their herd and causing unintended spooking behavior
- Fixed: Looping vehicle audio
- Fixed: Crashes
- Crash when switching to window mode
- Random crash after the animal has been shot
- Shooting an animal with shotgun in MP resulting in server crash
- Rare crash when interacting with a static animal sign
- Fixed: Notifications of discoveries around the map
- Fixed: Continuously shooting with shotgun leading to a drop in FPS
- Fixed: Infinite jumping loop
- Fixed: Multiple localization issues

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Supposedly this is the MP patch.

quote:

Regarding update 1.20

Hey there, hunters! We are fully aware that the next update for Way of the Hunter is very eagerly anticipated by many of you, as you await new features and fixes to a handful of pressing issues. Though we are just as eager to bring you update 1.20 containing more items from our roadmap, some surprises, and many fixes and improvements, we need a little more time to get it ready for you. We would like to ask you for a bit more patience while we resolve the remaining lingering issues, and we hope to bring update 1.20 to the Development branch on Steam next week, and a public release not long after.

Thank you for understanding and good hunting!

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Aight finally the 1.20 patch is out on public branch.

quote:

(PC, PS5, Xbox Series X/S) Version 1.20 patch notes:
- (PS5) Added: Adaptive triggers functionality
- Added: Colorblind options
- Added: New animals - Golden jackal (Transylvania) and Snowshoe hare (Nez Perce Valley)
- Added: 5 New tasks in campsites (2 for Brown bear, 3 for Golden jackal and Snowshoe hare)
- (MP) Added: Character selection screen
- (MP) Added: Sleeping - server can now change time
- Added: Roaming lone deer in both maps
- Added: Save corruption dialog on PC and backup save corruption fix
- Tweaked: Ambient sounds mix
- Tweaked: Firearm sway in hunting stand reduced. Standing with the perk is now equal to crouching with the perk
- Tweaked: Storage UI
- Tweaked: Improved waterfowl lifecycle
- Tweaked: Vehicle screen is closed after selecting a vehicle
- Tweaked: Wind affecting shotgun pellets
- Tweaked: Reduced the effect of maximum hunting pressure
- Balanced: Taste the world mission requirements changed from 4 star+ badger, to 3 star+ badger. Required meat amount increased to 20kg.
- Fixed: Animals dying in T-pose
- Fixed: Localization issues (Misspelling in mission descriptions (Czech and Slovak language), misspelling in dialog window for Polish language, variables displayed in Encyclopedia for Czech, Japanese and Chinese languages)
- Fixed: Swapped Red Deer caller calls
- Fixed: Eurasian badger and Roe deer missing from the filter section in Hunting map
- Fixed: Player’s falling under the terrain near Yi’s cabin
- Fixed: Animals shot down in water while running kept splashing the water
- Fixed: Rounding up imperial unit format when zeroing firearms
- Fixed: Visual environmental issues
- Fixed: Dust particles in high altitude
- Fixed: Body in prone position in Photo mode
- Fixed: Animation transitions when changing stances
- Fixed: Sibyl Eyes perk description
- (MP) Fixed: Animal animation desync
- (MP) Fixed: Animals constantly looking at Client while running away
- (MP) Fixed: Gamer tag sometimes not displayed in hunting map
- (MP) Fixed: Player start location in Transylvania (Characters should no longer spawn in each other in Transylvania)
- (MP) Fixed: Infinite jumping loop

Here's the two other character you can choose in MP right now:

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Oh fun, I just got really into theHunter Call of the Wild, and saw one of the Youtubers I had clicked a few videos for showing this off. I like my pretty walking-stoned/animal-murder simulators, and more realism is always welcome.

Patches look like they've done a lot of heavy lifting since release?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
They have!

This game is much heavier on the walking side. It is far more demanding to even run into animals, and getting near them takes a challenge.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Well this is just lovely so far - the narrative lead-in is pretty nice, it's very pretty and fun to get around, and I'm just vibing with it and following along with the tasks. Just got Hollywood, and I'm stepping into the restaurant request missions. Next one's for duck! I'm pretty iffy on Call of the Wild's duck hunting, so I'm eager to see what that looks like here.

One thing I can't figure out: for the callers that have different kinds of calls possible, how do you...change? I've got the deer grunt caller, but can only figure out how to do doe grunts.

Digging the more realistic treatment! It definitely seems like some of the poo poo people were complaining about in early reviews has been fixed. A lot of the things in that roadmap screen shot up through Coming Soon seem to be good to go.

EDIT: One negative is it's cut into my interest in Call of the Wild, which I just bought...a lot of DLC for, figuring well it's not like there are any other hunting games :saddowns:

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Dec 6, 2022

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Funnily enough I arrived at this game the exact same way. I bought COTW Deluxe edition or Gold or whatever to myself and my friends when it was on sale last June and just played it hard in coop. But very quickly I found out about this one. I played COTW until this game released and then it was really hard to go back, sadly.

WOTH is slower paced and just overall feels better for that walking simulator.

While all gear and weapons can be bought right away, there's some peculiarities. You gotta use the caller for doe bleats and KILL does that respond and you'll soon "learn" to do buck grunts.

Lumme
Mar 2, 2013
It seems that the blood trails work finally in MP after the patch, although seems there are some animation problems with animals sliding around instead of running when viewed at range sometimes.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
Multiplayer actually working would be a god send in this game. Theres just something so rad about hunting with others, or even just hearing their shots off in the distance.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
The DLC map is very likely Alaska based on datamining.

In addition the devs who are active on Discord and the subreddit said this on a post wanting to either invite others to play one's MP map, or creating a special MP-version of the persistence:

It is more than empty talk, considering that most items on that roadmap have been popular request and the devs give direct feedback constantly about what they are considering. So seems good!

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Dec 7, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Free DLC, an all terrain vehicle whatever ATV.

https://ninerocksgames.com/posts/with-wheels-like-these-who-needs-roads

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzMKhTUcQ1Y