Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Problem description: I have a new HP Pavilion laptop whose outgoing audio sounds like it's being recorded from inside a tin can. Audacity can only do so much to repair that.

I thought "Ah, I have a nice little Aukey microphone that I'll use, instead," so I went to plug it in... and the laptop only has one TRRS digital headset jack, instead of two analog TRS jacks. And, yes, I did Google what the difference is between those, and I'm not trying to plug a TRS microphone into a TRRS jack.

Attempted fixes: I picked up a cheap combiner adapter that takes two male TRS inputs (one headphones, one mic) and combines them into one male TRRS plug. Windows recognizes the headphones but not the mic (under Manage Audio Devices -> Sound -> Recording, Microphone Array is active and Jack Mic shows "not plugged in" even when the port is occupied. It does pick up "Headphones" under Sound-Playback appropriately.)

I stopped by Five Below today and got a cheapo TRRS headset, figuring that an all-in-one might be better than older tech with an adapter. Same result (Headphones works, Jack Mic remains 'not plugged in.')

RealTek audio drivers seem up-to-date to my untrained eye.

So, my guesses are:
1) The port is bad.
2) The port is really finicky about what it will accept as headset input.
3) There's some tweak in Windows necessary to get this laptop to accept microphone input through that jack, and I might be just as well picking up a USB microphone to bypass that.

Posting here to rule out #3 before I throw this back at where it came from.

Recent changes: None that I know of, besides the above.

--

Operating system: Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

System specs: HP Pavilion 3560. 11G i5-1135G7 processor, 32GB RAM.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Make sure W10 is fully updated.

I've seen Realtek issues with HP laptops lately. You could try opening up device manager and then deleting the Realek drivers and letting Windows reinstall them. Also, trying the latest drivers too if the reinstalled ones don't help.

I'm assuming that laptop has a warranty so you might just contact them and see if they have any good ideas as well.