Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Can anyone recommend a good network setup? I need access points and a router.

Router should support SFP+ for WAN and LAN and be preferably rackmountable. Access points should be low profile, ceiling mountable (would look good in a house), and PoE. Ideally it would support authentication through AD via RADIUS or other for the main network, as well as provide a guest network. Being able to manage it all centrally would be a huge plus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmaniac
Jul 10, 2010
Have you considered products from Ubiquiti ? I know they support most of what you're looking for.

- PoE
- SFP +
- Low profile access points that are wall/ceiling mountable w/ PoE
- RADIUS authentication (I have used their RADIUS auth hosted by their own hardware. I am not sure if they support user info being hosted elsewhere)
- Central management
- Rack mountable (do not buy their rack. It uses a proprietary mounting system that only works with their hardware)

An additional plus is that some of their hardware is fan-less.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

What's the use case? Home or business? I've got Ubiquiti at home and love it.

If business, what scale?
- How many APs?
- What speed internets?
- How many switch ports?

What's your budget, or ball park expectations?

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

What's the use case? Home or business? I've got Ubiquiti at home and love it.

If business, what scale?
- How many APs?
- What speed internets?
- How many switch ports?

What's your budget, or ball park expectations?

Home, lab environment and adding 6 poe cameras around the outside. 2 APs, fiber coming in will be 5gbps over SFP+ adapted to cat 6e copper. Thinking of running VyOS as a router with SFP+ input from fiber and out to the switch, then an SFP run to the file server and one to my own desktop because epeen. The rest of the network is fine on 1000, but a total of 8 devices need PoE.

Specifically, will ubiquity APs handle both internal network traffic and a guest network on a separate vlan? Will the choice in router work as well? What pitfalls are there in running something like that?

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Home, lab environment and adding 6 poe cameras around the outside. 2 APs, fiber coming in will be 5gbps over SFP+ adapted to cat 6e copper. Thinking of running VyOS as a router with SFP+ input from fiber and out to the switch, then an SFP run to the file server and one to my own desktop because epeen. The rest of the network is fine on 1000, but a total of 8 devices need PoE.

Specifically, will ubiquity APs handle both internal network traffic and a guest network on a separate vlan? Will the choice in router work as well? What pitfalls are there in running something like that?

I've had good luck with Mikrotik's stuff. The routers basically just work, and unless you're doing ISP tier stuff with BGP routes and whatnot are pretty great. The CCR2004-1G-12S+2XS is what I have for my multi-gig service, and it does anything I ask it to without really noticing the load. I have yet to use the two 25 gig ports, but the siren song of 2.5 GB/sec network shares compels me.

Ubiquity wifi devices will do vlans and multiple SSIDs, so as long as you don't need to constantly mess with things, tend to just run until they fail or get replaced. Get the Pro models, they take real PoE vs. the junk passive PoE, and tend to be pretty solid in my experience. The UniFi6 Pro does require PoE+, but injectors are like $12.

I wouldn't get a PoE switch, as they're absurdly hard to find right now, and prices are reflecting that.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

I wouldn't get a PoE switch, as they're absurdly hard to find right now, and prices are reflecting that.

hm i have a rack mount 24 port gigabit PoE injector, wonder how much I could get for it

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
theres a whole thread about this poo poo here:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3442319

where you might get more and better answers/discussion

GrunkleStalin
Aug 13, 2021
Unifi has been a good set it and forget it solution for my home & lab networks.
It has some quirks but overall it’s been the easiest solution I’ve deployed so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
+1 to Unifi, still my favorite