Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

speaking of th metaverse, that new neal stephenson book sucked rear end. it was loving cringeworthy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dk2m
May 6, 2009
The funniest part about all of this is that NFTs have pretty much died out and crypto is frozen as the VC money faucet dries up. Maybe there will be some artificial hype again but the main premise of a web3 style second life feels like some dot com bubble bullshit and that’s a normal sentiment rather than being exclusive to nerdy corners of the internet like here

They had 5+ years of a head start by buying Oculus and hundreds of very smart people working for absolutely nothing - the premise of professionals slapping on a Rift and doing a sprint standup in a bootleg rear end VRChat sounds so loving hilarious

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

id be more interested in the fetaverse. invest in cr instead.

dot communist
Mar 28, 2005

Buce posted:

speaking of th metaverse, that new neal stephenson book sucked rear end. it was loving cringeworthy.

I assume you mean Fall? I get what you mean but, eh, it was fine.

Really though I just want to see every Facebook user snow crash as soon as they log in.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
whole thing is ten years ago, when there was a huge hype wave about second life. all over again

except now for some reason facebook is spunking billions of dollars into it?

just distracting themselves from the major image problem they have i.e. that nobody likes them and everybody who uses their stuff does so grudgingly

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

dot communist posted:

I assume you mean Fall? I get what you mean but, eh, it was fine.

Really though I just want to see every Facebook user snow crash as soon as they log in.

termination shock

dot communist
Mar 28, 2005

Buce posted:

termination shock

Ah, haven't read that one yet. I didn't realize it was also about the metaverse, I thought it was just about climate change stuff.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

I'm in the metaverse as we speak

in ur metaverse, killin’ ur d00dz

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:
Bay Area tech sovereigns are desperate to sell your individuality back to you on the internet, but they have no sense of aesthetics and that's a blessing for now.

MaliciousBiz
Mar 28, 2010

I Pay to Poast on Internet
You will all be the first against the wall when the Metaverse comes.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

dot communist posted:

Ah, haven't read that one yet. I didn't realize it was also about the metaverse, I thought it was just about climate change stuff.

no, it's not about the metaverse; it's just bad. it should be interesting, but it aint. It made me want to reread peter watts, so that's cool, i guess.

vudan
Dec 11, 2010

Ehud posted:

ok but have you considered this

He blue himself.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I recognize that basically everyone not named Mark Zuckerberg knows this whole thing is a loving digital Ozymandias, but it infuriates me that people with less understanding of society than toddlers are allowed to try to reshape the world in their quasi-sentient image.

I will always stand by my claim that Mark Zuckerberg will have no mourners at his funeral who are not financially benefiting from being there

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Give me six-sensory full immersion VR robo-loving or give me death. No middle ground.

If I can use that for work somehow that's cool too I guess

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

I wanna see the Getaverse come to fruition. Sign up and you’re immediately damnatio memoriaed from history.

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica
Passion projects of the rich and famous are always so delightfully weird. It's normally more focused on aviation though. Collapsing into a fake reality is a bit on the nose.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

it's clear that the metaverse has already failed, but facebook does sell probably the best overall vr headset. i was tempted to buy a quest 2 while it was still being subsidized, but now that it's 2 years old and $100 more than when it launched and still requires a facebook account to use, i'm holding out for valve or some other company to come up with something better in the same price range. might be a couple years though.

both VR and AR seem to be almost useless technologies that tech companies are pouring billions into and the best they can come up with are dumb gimmicks like projecting an ikea sofa in your living room in case you don't own a tape measure and an imagination. and gaming i guess. the downside is that there are countless ways those resources and labor could instead be used on something beneficial to people or our planet, and the upside is that it's very funny watching corporations step on rakes.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Remember ActiveWorlds back in the 90s when you could go into a 3D world and chat with random people and have a fun ol time? How about we take that idea, but instead make it about selling stupid poo poo to put on your avatar? Also instead of having wacky interactions with fun strangers, you just work, with your regular colleagues. But they have a funny hat on their avatar.

ProfessorMarvel
Jan 6, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Hammerite posted:

that's the ugliest Mii ive ever seen

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/83/82/52/8382525fa850d9e0a15af04164c6a285.jpg

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
can't wait for zuck to lock himself in one of his virtual rooms and slowly accumulate a horde of virtual pee jars

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Dr. Quarex posted:

I recognize that basically everyone not named Mark Zuckerberg knows this whole thing is a loving digital Ozymandias, but it infuriates me that people with less understanding of society than toddlers are allowed to try to reshape the world in their quasi-sentient image.

I will always stand by my claim that Mark Zuckerberg will have no mourners at his funeral who are not financially benefiting from being there

Why do you think he’s trying to create a VR world to begin with? Spoiler alert: it’s cause no one loves/likes him.

Has anyone seen his wife recently,btw? I feel like she appeared out of the aether a few years ago right before the Facebook IPO as a way to humanize Zuckerberg and then just as quickly disappeared back into the aether

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
I wonder if Zuck's parents are ashamed of him back on the Lizard Planet.

So, you made a bunch of "money" off the monkeys in their useless monkey money you can't even exchange back to real money.

What have you actually achieved besides increasing their mental illness and political dysfunction with this "social media" thing? Their society still has barely broken. Not a single nuke has been launched.

Your brother completed the genocide of the jellyfish people's system years ago.

He stomped the last one himself and was on the galactic news to show his victory for our race.

You sister is currently High Queen of the Mole People system and has so many billions of slaves nobody is even able to make an accurate count.

And you? You are still playing with toys. You wear that human mask that is so poor, even their tiny monkey brains instinctively reject it.

You bring shame to our family.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
I still think someone pitched "imagine not needing a big monitor or dedicated space for your home office - enter VR!" and he took it to mean people wanted to jerk off around a digital water cooler

ProfessorMarvel
Jan 6, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

The Butcher posted:

I wonder if Zuck's parents are ashamed of him back on the Lizard Planet.

So, you made a bunch of "money" off the monkeys in their useless monkey money you can't even exchange back to real money.

What have you actually achieved besides increasing their mental illness and political dysfunction with this "social media" thing? Their society still has barely broken. Not a single nuke has been launched.

Your brother completed the genocide of the jellyfish people's system years ago.

He stomped the last one himself and was on the galactic news to show his victory for our race.

You sister is currently High Queen of the Mole People system and has so many billions of slaves nobody is even able to make an accurate count.

And you? You are still playing with toys. You wear that human mask that is so poor, even their tiny monkey brains instinctively reject it.

You bring shame to our family.

Keep my boy Kakarot's name out ya mouth. He can't help being born saiyan :ssj:

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
I'm just looking forward to nude tayne

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
So it's... a Zoom call with avatars, right?

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXN7vLPsDSM

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica
When we are all living in apartments smaller than modern cars, VR will be great to make a multimonitor suite. I'd use it now for poo poo like excel over my laptop.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Das Boo posted:

So it's... a Zoom call with avatars, right?

It’s dumber than that, because in zoom you don’t have to “walk” to the conference room.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

The Management posted:

It’s dumber than that, because in zoom you don’t have to “walk” to the conference room.

Step one and I can already tell this is going to be like learning about NFTs where the more I know about it, the less sense it makes.

Carwash Cunt
Aug 21, 2007

Buce posted:

His newest book is Termination Shock and I thought it was good. I skipped "fall", is that a metaverse book?

Termination Shock is a good/terrible summer read. A lot of the detail goes into how to live day to day in 2040s Texas, when everything is way too loving hot. Reading this one during a heat wave, after a spring of intense flooding, after last year was all drought really adds to the book.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

The Management posted:

look at this idiot whose company didn’t buy the teleport upgrade.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

2nd Amendment posted:

VR will be great to make a multimonitor suite. I'd use it now for poo poo like excel over my laptop.

Is there any apps or utilities currently available that does this?

I also think all of this is very stupid but VR games are fun enough and if that was really a thing I could possibly use as an excuse to justify buying one

edit: to answer my own question, apparently Oculus has a dedicated section for this on their website: https://www.oculus.com/vr-for-work/

Shockingly, the experience isn't as great as advertised:

PC Gamer: Working in VR is more stressful and lessens productivity. Big surprise. Doing your day job in the metaverse sounds like a real pain. Turns out, it is.
WIRED: I Spent Hundreds of Hours Working in VR. Here’s What I Learned: This is how it feels in the future Mark Zuckerberg promised—disembodied and unaware of my surroundings.

PC Gamer posted:

Those left worked eight hour days, with 45 minutes to recuperate and inhale some lunch. Each of them scored their VR working experience against working in a physical environment, and it turns out many felt their task load had increased, on average by 35%. Frustration also shot up by 42%, the 'negative affect' stat was up 11%, and anxiety went up by 19%. All in all, mental wellbeing was reported to have decreased by 20%.

I am astonished that a product promoted by Zuck reduces mental wellbeing.

sticksy fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Aug 22, 2022

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Why does this guy feel the need to be the mascot for facebook? He's a black hole of charisma and he looks like an uncanny valley. Hire loving Will Smith if you have to, but for gods sake Mark go away

dot communist
Mar 28, 2005

Carwash oval office posted:

His newest book is Termination Shock and I thought it was good. I skipped "fall", is that a metaverse book?

Termination Shock is a good/terrible summer read. A lot of the detail goes into how to live day to day in 2040s Texas, when everything is way too loving hot. Reading this one during a heat wave, after a spring of intense flooding, after last year was all drought really adds to the book.

Hmm, I asked Buce about this too because I haven't read Termination Shock yet, but I have read Fall. And Fall is about the metaverse, sort of. More like the metaverse for dead people, uploading your consciousness. Kind of. It's got a healthy dose of social commentary on Facebook radicalizing people in a post-truth world as well.

It's another of Neal's "advanced tech is indistinguishable from performing magic, here's a fantasy world based on that idea" like he did with Seveneves. Fall has it's issues but I enjoyed it well enough.

Anyway if Termination Shock isn't about the metaverse then I think Buce is getting them mixed up.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
I would be pounding myself in the face if I was one of the marketing people having to push this obvious money hole failure.

Like gently caress, alien pretending to be human calling itself "Mark"... You've got a bajillion human dollars, you can buy a human that the humans like and are not instinctively repulsed by to use for the ads for your thing that will never take off and disappoint your Lizard People parents further.

Like man, just take up cocaine if it works with your biology, get a mega yacht and pay a melange of humans to lick your cloaca. The human money will still come in and you don't have to lift a finger or flipper. Just chill man. Stop making it weird.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Until they figure out the technology to have people's bottom halves in the metaverse my job is stuck here in meat space so I'm not worried.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

abigserve posted:

I still think someone pitched "imagine not needing a big monitor or dedicated space for your home office - enter VR!" and he took it to mean people wanted to jerk off around a digital water cooler

Okay I'm listening

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

The Lawnmower Man VR when?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe