Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
You just throw flour in the air then shine a flashlight on it. It's not rocket science!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo

Mooey Cow posted:

I've made holograms in my own dang kitchen and i'm not even that smart

The vegan holograms are better.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i just hate having to convert to holo-ounces all the time

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Mozi posted:

i just hate having to convert to holo-ounces all the time

lol

i piss holokilos

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

Somfin posted:

Love to be the first generation in history that is majority certain that their lives will be worse than previous generations, and for half of that majority to be based on sound material reasons and the other half to be stupid nazi morons who think that folks like Zuckerberg are doing this on purpose instead of this being the obvious end result of giving any capitalist too much power

I dunno, those first generations immediately following the bronze age collapse probably felt like things were going to just get worse and worse for awhile. Imagine being an Egyptian following the last battle against the sea peoples.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I'd like to see how getting the Meatverse to the Sentinelese goes

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

a mysterious cloak posted:

I'd like to see how getting the Meatverse to the Sentinelese goes

just looked this up. neato

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Plan R posted:

The vegan holograms are better.

Here is my vegan laser interferometer

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side

Internet Old One posted:

And what happens if we can’t make holograms?

It’s not like smart people have t been trying for a long time.

Well, there's now transparent oleds, that's the first step.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjTCQMlmG4A

Just have to get rid of the screen part now.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

lol

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Some kids are going to remember the Metaverss the way people now remember BBS.

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh

satanic splash-back posted:

These shitheads are stealing the metaverse name and just invented virtual real estate occurring on this or that captive platform. Not very meta.

To ride the comparison I’m waiting for the fidonet intermediate level of the technology where I can bring the counter strike guns into roblox.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I mean the real fake estate thing was a pretty big part of the metaverse in Snow Crash

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
zuckerburg has made the metaverse into the Meta Hearse

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

JediTalentAgent posted:

Mix VR, Mars, and Twitch.

We launch a bunch of drones to Mars and people spend money for the opportunity to remote pilot them (with delay, for course) via VR and attempt to terraform the planet for us. Their audience pays them, they pay the companies, and the companies trick you into doing work for them by calling it a game.

Can't wait for Mars to be filled with thousands of dicks and balls.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

I've used the internet every day for twenty years and not once have I ever gotten a "people want a metaverse and specifically one corporation owns it" vibe

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side

satanic splash-back posted:

https://synchro.net/sbbslist.html

https://www.fosshub.com/KiTTY.html

:hehe::hf::cool:

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I saw a commercial for the Meta VR experience that was literally the Simpsons VR daydream except it was "Your kids will watch Marc Anthony debate in ancient Rome!"

If anything, it will be that Disney is will just upload all the CG 3D environments they built for the Marvel/Star Wars/Harry Potter*/Matrix* movies onto a server and you can walk around in them for $250 a year.

(*It'll be a while, they'll have bought WB and rebooted the Potter/Matrix films by then. Disney Matrix hype will be nuts when they release the first trailer of Idris Elba as Morpheus and Tom Holland as Neo.)

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I have a vr headset and I used it during the super bowl

I think it would be cool to use it on like...POV video of roller coasters. I'm officially out of ideas

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Bula Vinaka posted:

Well, there's now transparent oleds, that's the first step.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjTCQMlmG4A

Just have to get rid of the screen part now.

That’s legitimately really cool, maybe Zuck should do things like that instead of being a stupid piece of poo poo

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

i've actually got a few holographic displays by Looking Glass Factory. They're neat, but they're just screens. If they were translucent then they'd just be a lot less visible and useful. Sure, having holograms floating around looks really cool and sci-fi, but there has never been any successful 3D professional-grade desktop interface worth a drat, and there's been hilariously bad attempts for decades now.

If you really get down to it, 3D in a desktop UI is really just making things blurrier when you make them smaller. I just don't think the utility of that is that high. Would love to be proved wrong, since I have a bunch of previously-mentioned holographic displays.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Whatever happened to those Microsoft AR goggles? Vaporware, i assume?

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

steinrokkan posted:

Hololens is still out there. It's aimed at professional AR use, like for training jet engine mechanics with contextual popups to show how things fit together or how many newtons to torque a bolt with and so on. It is expensive ($3500), heavy (600 grams). I tried a demo and it was pretty disappointing in actual use - the rectangular overlay FOV is really narrow so whatever graphics you had showing would clip constantly, breaking any illusion of presence or immersion. Resolution is 2K per eye and there's no contrast enhancement LCD layer - the superimposed graphics are just that, light added to the scene. The light engines creating the images are only bright enough for indoor use in moderately illuminated spaces. We had to shut down all but one set of office lights for the demo to "work".

Haven't tried magic leap, seems like their early hype cratered. Probably the prototypes were a lot more impressive than the mass-produced version.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

chaosbreather posted:

Would love to be proved wrong, since I have a bunch of previously-mentioned holographic displays.

They're not holographic, they are advanced lenticular displays. Like the 3D effect on the Nintendo 3DS, only instead of two pictures sent in two directions via cylindrical lenses, they send 40-something views in various directions using spherical lenses. It's still just a flat image with no depth information, and you can't e.g. refocus the image like you could with an actual hologram. An actually holographic display would be interesting because you could display something far away and have the eyes and the lenses in the eyes focus on the same plane, whereas in fake 3D screens the eyes focus on the plane of the object, but the lenses on the plane of the screen, causing all manner of eye strain.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Mooey Cow posted:

They're not holographic, they are advanced lenticular displays. Like the 3D effect on the Nintendo 3DS, only instead of two pictures sent in two directions via cylindrical lenses, they send 40-something views in various directions using spherical lenses. It's still just a flat image with no depth information, and you can't e.g. refocus the image like you could with an actual hologram. An actually holographic display would be interesting because you could display something far away and have the eyes and the lenses in the eyes focus on the same plane, whereas in fake 3D screens the eyes focus on the plane of the object, but the lenses on the plane of the screen, causing all manner of eye strain.

Kind of, but not really. You should really try one if you get the chance.

And the point of my post wasn't to argue hologram semantics, it's to point out that there isn't actually anything useful or even that interesting one could do with one beyond some pretty narrow applications.

chaosbreather fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Aug 27, 2022

Le Faye Morgaine
Feb 1, 2022

steinrokkan posted:

What does vaporware mean? Nothing to do with vaporwave music, I assume?

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Le Faye Morgaine posted:

poo poo that got hyped but never manifested. Duke Nukem Forever, essentially.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side

steinrokkan posted:

No.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/d/hololens-2/91pnzzznzwcp?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

The nice thing about it is it's untethered (no cables to a pc), but, its picture quality is kind of sucky.

It's like a transparent screen that you wear and it overlays the image on the screen, behind the world which you just see through the transparent lens.

The Finnish Varjo XR-3, on the right (I posted a pic earlier), is much more lifelike. Instead of projecting an image on a transparent screen, it has cameras, which then render what you're looking at in 4K along with the added elements, giving it a super realistic result, since the goggles "seal" over your eyes. But it has downsides: it's tethered (two display port cables to a PC I believe), is very bulky and heavy, and gets pretty hot with continued use, to the point of discomfort. The major thing however, is that it is significantly more expensive than the Hololens, and you can't even use the thing without paying another hugely expensive licensing fee. An "offline unlock license" which I assume is for 1 PC only (or doesn't "unlock" the hardware so it can be used anywhere, by anyone, on any PC... again I'm assuming that's the case), costs 70% of the goggles themselves:

https://unboundxr.eu/varjo-xr-3

If someone legit wanted to buy these and ship them to the USA, and avoid the VAT taxes, you'd first have to buy them which can only be done with a bank transfer. That's a big trust, because when you do that, they can keep your money and not ship you anything, and there's little you can do about it expect try to blast them on the Internet as having stole your money. After that, you'd need to ship to the USA, which they won't do, so you'd have to use a forwarding service like forward2me. Most of their intermediary destinations have VAT. They have a new one in Turkey that you can ship to (if the seller ships there) that means no VAT. But again it's a pretty big trust to have such an expensive thing go through a forwarding service like that. Finally you'll probably have to pay customs duty taxes (not to mention the two shipping fees.. one to the seller, and one to forward2me), since larger, well known forwarding services won't/can't be sneaky like Chinese sellers who sell legit expensive stuff on AliExpress and downclaim the prices of what they ship to something like $100. Then you're at the mercy of Varjo to be there and have their servers online years later just so you can "unlock" and use the expensive as hell piece of hardware you bought.

Bula Vinaka fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Aug 27, 2022

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

Le Faye Morgaine posted:

there's hardware which is hard, software which is... soft... and vaporware which seems to exist but just disappears into thin air

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Le Faye Morgaine posted:

It is indeed the root word in a sense, taking the concept of technology that never truly existed and wondering what that would sound like.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side

Dr. Quarex posted:

It is indeed the root word in a sense, taking the concept of technology that never truly existed and wondering what that would sound like.

It would have lots of reverb, cycling EQ making it sound like bad tape, and also a lot of high frequency noise, giving it a very "airy" sound, like vapor (sorry I mean vapour).

Le Faye Morgaine
Feb 1, 2022

Dr. Quarex posted:

Is that what vaporwave music is supposed to emulate, concepts that dont exist but this is what the tune would be like? I always thought it just sounded like low quality regular EDM.

nvm addressed above

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
Well, EDM doesn't have technology, or even fast food mascots from the 80's and 90's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hI0qMtdfng