Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

I can't find a Twitter thing to embed but apparently the Sun Belt managed to renegotiate their TV deal with ESPN. They were actually paying to access ESPN the last several years - about $100k per school annually - now they'll be paid about $600k each. Plus, ESPN is subletting some Sun Belt games to the NFL Network and the Sun Belt will double-dip on those games.

I know they get like 100x less money than the SEC schools but being paid is better than paying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Making 6x back what you paid out last year is a great deal, yeah.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
Speaking of Fun Belt

https://twitter.com/TroyTrojansFB/status/1562183870228971521?t=2VztzBp4fbxltcAsu51mcA&s=19

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

dirty shrimp money posted:

I can't find a Twitter thing to embed but apparently the Sun Belt managed to renegotiate their TV deal with ESPN. They were actually paying to access ESPN the last several years - about $100k per school annually - now they'll be paid about $600k each. Plus, ESPN is subletting some Sun Belt games to the NFL Network and the Sun Belt will double-dip on those games.

I know they get like 100x less money than the SEC schools but being paid is better than paying.

I think paying for a network to show your games is pretty standard for start-up professional leagues, so I'm not surprised it's shown up in college sports too. But yeah that's pretty smart of the Sun Belt to work it that way. I mean look at what the CUSA deal is just in terms of who shows their games. It's a loving mess, and I doubt makes them much money at this point. Better to pay to be on ESPN to at least be visible to people.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

This is great.

The left footed professor bombing away.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Second dude's legs ripped AF

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013
"Oregon has reportedly ‘initiated preliminary discussions’ with Big Ten to join conference"

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Yeah I'm sure they have; though I wouldn't take Oregon calling the Big Ten as meaning a whole lot.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I to have contacted the big ten about joining

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

D.N. Nation posted:

Second dude's legs ripped AF

Shoe came off, I think he's dead.

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

CharlestheHammer posted:

I to have contacted the big ten about joining

You’ve got as good a chance of eventually winning a conference title as Rutgers, welcome aboard!

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

If we make a predictions thread, I'll move it. Anyway, here's my bold predictions for the Iowa State Cyclones.

Last year was a disappointing 7-6 season, which is wild to say because I used to be ecstatic about any season that ended in a bowl game. Expectations were high though, and as usual, ISU failed to meet them. A ton of talent has left that team, so it's lots of fresh new faces. I pretty much have no clue how this team will do, so I expect most of these to be wrong.

9/3 - Southeast Missouri State - W - If we don't win this one, it's going to be a baaaad season. ISU always struggles in the first game, but they should still win this one.
9/10 - @ Iowa - W - Ok, I don't really think this will be a win, but it's Iowa, so I have to have faith. Matt Campbell has yet to beat Iowa, maybe he'll break that curse this year.
9/17 - Ohio - W - This is the tune up game before the Big 12 grind starts. Just assuming a W here.
9/24 - Baylor - L - It's at home, but Baylor should way overmatch ISU this year.
10/1 - @ Kansas - W - They still suck until proven otherwise. Should be the only easy conference game.
10/8 - KSU - W - KSU has been down lately, but these are usually tough games. Since it's at home, I'll say a W, but I think it's 50/50.
10/15 - @ Texas - L - Hey, maybe Texas will be hilariously bad again, but they should still beat ISU.
10/29 - OU - L - Even at home, I expect Oklahoma to crush us. This is when a promising season will start to fall apart.
11/5 - WVU - L - WVU got us last year, and I think it'll be the same this year.
11/12 - @ Okie State - L - OSU is likely competing for the conference championship, and ISU will be officially out of the race.
11/19 - Texas Tech - W - I don't know, another 50/50 game I put as a win because it's at home and in November when some Texas kids have to battle in the cold.
11/26 - @TCU - L - Probably a loss unless TCU has gotten way worse than I expected. Both teams likely fighting for bowl eligibility at this point, so may be a good one.

Regular season record - 6-6 and ISU sneaks into some mid-December bowl game. This year, I will consider 6-6 a success. Anything more than that will be a pleasant surprise. I'd say worst case scenario should be 4-8, best case is 8-4.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Not sure if already posted, but Nick Saban got a massive extension

Guess he's not retiring anytime soon :sigh:

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
I mean, do we really expect anything less than Saban dying in his office at this point?

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Does anyone have recommendations for a VPN I can use to spoof a US IP address? I'm going to be in Poland in mid-September. I can probably forgo the Ohio game, but the Penn State @ Auburn game will be at 9:30 Warsaw time, so I would like to try to watch it.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Komet posted:

Does anyone have recommendations for a VPN I can use to spoof a US IP address? I'm going to be in Poland in mid-September. I can probably forgo the Ohio game, but the Penn State @ Auburn game will be at 9:30 Warsaw time, so I would like to try to watch it.
I love Private Internet Access. Works on desktop and mobile for at least three devices, not sure what the limit is.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Thanks. The game is on CBS anyway, so this next part is irrelevant for this game, but there was once a time before Fox took over Big Ten Network streaming that you could stream BTN without any kind of location enforcement whatsoever. I haven't tried to watch a game abroad since 2015

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Minnesota went 9-4 last season including a win over WVU in the very prestigious Guaranteed Rate Bowl. The season was a lot of ups and downs and like most Minnesota years a somewhat hard team to get a read on. Opening week last year they played tough to a good Ohio State team. Mohamed Ibrahim had a great game against Ohio State but had suffered a ruptured achilles in the 3rd quarter. He still ended up with 163 yards and two TD's. If he can come back this season as even close to what he is/was capable of the Minnesota running game should be solid. QB is a big question. Tanner Morgan is somehow still eligible to play even though he looks older than PJ Fleck. 2019 was a special year for him but the next two he's seemed feeble. Can't push it down field particularly well.

My predictions: Pretty straight forward. They'll beat who they should beat and lose to the superior teams. However, they have a couple close call games every year. It would not shock me at all even with this weak schedule that they drop one of the first 3 games and I also feel like they'll lose to a frisky Big 10 team like Nebraska or Rutgers. It just feels like that will happen as it's Minnesota.

9/1 - New Mexico State - W
9/10 - Western Illinois - W
9/17 - Colorado - W
9/24 - Michigan State - L
10/1 - Purdue - W
10/15 - Illinois - W
10/22 - Penn State - L
10/29 - Rutgers - W
11/5 - Nebraska - W
11/12 - Northwestern - W
11/19 - Iowa - L
11/26 - Wisconsin - L

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Have you looked to see if there’s an “American” bar anywhere nearby that could play it for you?

I’ve already been looking around London and Munich for games during my trip

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.
Go Ducks!!! Ain't no stopping the quack this year!

9/3 - Georgia - W
9/10 - Eastern Washington - W
9/17 - BYU - W
9/24 - Wazzu - W
10/1 - Stanford - W
10/8 - Arizona - W
10/22 - UCLA - W
10/29 - Cal - W
11/5 - Colorado - W
11/12 - Washington - W
11/19 - Utah - W
11/26 - OSU - W
12/2 - Pac 12 championship - Utah - W
12/31 - Fiesta Bowl - tOSU - W
1/9 - CFP Championship - Bama - W

15-0 gonna be so sweet :smug:

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Texas Aggies:

Overall thought on the schedule is that the conference slate is as favorable as it's going to get- catch LSU and Florida in reset years, Auburn may be a mess, and Ole Miss has a lot to replace from last year. App State and Miami make for a spicy non-conference.

9/3 Sam Houston State - W, but in the future maybe don't schedule a recent FCS champ who's also in a transition year where they're ineligible for postseason play of any kind and have nothing to lose

9/10 App State - W, but again, please don't schedule this team; it's a no-win

9/17 Miami (FL) - W, one of several teams that I'm glad we're getting this year and not in a year or two (NOTE: it's very possible we play them again in a year or two, I haven't checked)

9/24 Arkansas - L, I think we go 2-1 against Arkansas and the Mississippi schools; I'm going to arbitrarily predict this one as the loss

10/1 at Mississippi State - W see above

10/8 at Alabama - L

10/22 at South Carolina - W, since we get two weeks for the bruises to heal

10/29 Ole Miss - W, see Arkansas entry

11/5 Florida - W

11/12 at Auburn - W, odds on this being Harsin's last game?

11/19 UMass - W, really the only true gimme of the season

11/26 LSU - L, this game is always stupid; I don't think they're very good this year but we may find a way to lose it

9-3. Media will giggle at Jimbo some more and post more bad-faith infographics comparing him and Sumlin's records through x games, but with all the young talent that's a successful season IF we've found a quarterback for 2023.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Aug 24, 2022

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
Nebraska Sadboys:

Northwestern - August 27th - L
North Dakota - September 3rd - W
Georgia Southern - September 10th - W
Oklahoma - September 17th - L
Indiana - October 1st - W
Rutgers - October 7th - W
Purdue - October 15th - L
Illinois - October 29th - W
Minnesota - November 5th - L
Michigan - November 12th - L
Wisconsin - November 19th - L
Iowa - November 25th - L

5-7, which will result in much wailing and gnashing of teeth over whether Frost keeps his job. I honestly give him a 50/50 shot of coaching here again next year.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Michigan State in a likely back-down-to-earth year:

9/2 vs. Western Michigan: Win by at least two scores
9/10 vs. Akron: lol. Blowout W
9/17 at Washington: I just moved out here and am going to this game! UW has home field and Michael Penix being familiar with MSU is a bonus for them, but DeBoer likely has more work to put in. Win by a touchdown.
9/24 vs. Minnesota: Win by a score
10/1 at Maryland: Taulia will put up some numbers on our secondary but Maryland can't stop anybody. Win.
10/8 vs. Ohio State: We'll be hovering around the top 10 and lose by 45, as is tradition
10/15 vs. Wisconsin: Interesting matchup here, as Wisconsin's strengths in theory play into ours. But I will go with the Badgers.
10/29 at Michigan: Win as usual in Ann Arbor, especially with a bye to prepare.
11/5 at Illinois: Win by 10
11/12 vs. Rutgers: Win
11/19 vs. Indiana: Win
11/26 at Penn State: Loss.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Henchman of Santa posted:

9/17 at Washington: I just moved out here and am going to this game!

Buddy and I went to the OU-UW game in Seattle back in '08; we had a total blast. Cool vibes around there (I appreciated the guy quietly standing next to the line of OU fans entering the stadium holding a sign saying "Dude, where's my NBA team?"), and the stadium has been totally redone since then. Have fun!

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Flawda Gators

Napier’s first year, thin at receiver, decent backs, talented but unproven QB. D should be pretty good but also thin. D line has some real potential breakout talent.

Utah Utes: L

I want to think we have a punchers chance in this but with no warm up, I think we take a pretty healthy beating.

Kentucky Wildcats: L

Kentucky might be better than last year and we are likely to be worse.

USF Bulls: W

Tennessee Volunteers: W

We have a hex on them currently (somehow) and I’m not going to question it.

Eastern Washington Eagles: W

A real chance for a Georgia Southern redux here but I think/hope we get it done.

Mizzou Tigers: Tossup

I don’t have a feel here. Mizzou always seems to have our number. Gut says loss.

LSU Tigahs: L

Too talented. Hopefully there’s a classic Kelly QB cockup here and they won’t play up to their potential. But they’re loaded.

Georgia Bulldogs: L

:laffo:

Napier pulls this off and expectations will be so high he won’t survive for long. It won’t happen anyway.

TAMU Aggies: L

At college station, shiny stable full of expensive defensive stars. Jimbo likes to outclever himself on offense, but I think there’s too much firepower here.

South Carolina Gamecocks: tossup

Beamer has made believers of this team and they should be better if Rattler gets his loving confidence back. Otherwise, I think it’s a likely win.

Vanderbilt Commodores: W

Vanderbilt is Not Good. But you never know!

Florida State Seminoles: W

Somehow still a dumpster fire.

I really only see 4-5 likely wins here. Several tossups. If Napier steals games against Kentucky, Tennessee, SC and TAMU I’d consider it a success.

2022 is going to be painful, I’d reckon.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Judgy Fucker posted:

Buddy and I went to the OU-UW game in Seattle back in '08; we had a total blast. Cool vibes around there (I appreciated the guy quietly standing next to the line of OU fans entering the stadium holding a sign saying "Dude, where's my NBA team?"), and the stadium has been totally redone since then. Have fun!

Yeah I'm looking forward to the stadium because I've heard it's gorgeous. Downside is that classes don't start until the end of the month, so idk what the crowd is gonna be like. I'm expecting a surprising amount of green in the stands actually.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Manoueverable posted:

I mean, do we really expect anything less than Saban dying in his office at this point?

Saban's time at Alabama will only end one way: by failing to meet the expectation level of a fanbase with an exponentially increasing level of entitlement.

At some point he'll go 14-0 and get fired because he failed somehow to go 15-0. Or, more earnestly, he'll have a 4 loss season, we listen to a summer of THE MAN'S EIGHTY-EIGHT PAWWLLL NOBODY KEEPS IT FOREVER" then an unexpected loss in like week 2 to Missouri or something and the recently hired AD will shitcan Saban

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
I'm not even going to try to pick this season for Florida.

If the Gators win @ Tennessee then :lol:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Yeah I'm looking forward to the stadium because I've heard it's gorgeous. Downside is that classes don't start until the end of the month, so idk what the crowd is gonna be like. I'm expecting a surprising amount of green in the stands actually.

If it’s anything like Oregon was, people will come back for the big out-of-conference game in September. Plus a lot of UW students are in Seattle anyway, so it’s not like they even have the same drive as UO students from Portland down to Eugene. At worst they sell some of the student sections as GA for that game.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

2022 Georgia Bulldogs

Last year: :smuggo:

Departing: A whole bunch of guys

Returning: Stetson Bennett IV, who legitimately turns 25 this season; the BEEFDOZER® (TEs Brock Bowers, Arik Gilbert, Darnell Washington, and Oscar Delp, who should all be on the field at the same time running tunnel screens because it'd be hilarious), Kenny McIntosh, taking over at RB1; Jalen Carter, taking over as That Dude on the DL; LB Nolan Smith, who was once the #1 recruit in the country and has had a fine enough career at UGA but still seems like he has something to prove; Kelee Ringo :smuggo:.

Schedule:

Oregon (in Atlanta)
Samford
@ SCAR
Kent State
@ Mizzou
Auburn
Vandy
Florida (WLOCP)
UT
@ Miss. State
@ UK
GT

Georgia will be favored in all of these, usually by double digits. That said, they lost a TON of talent and flipping the knob from "historically great defense" to "probably great defense" could make things a little wonky. The '21 offense had the benefit of knowing that D just wasn't gonna let anyone score; what happens when they have to work a little? Also the punting situation is apparently not great.

Best case: Repeat. It's a stretch, but this is a runnable regular season table.

Worst case: Start with a greasy upset against Oregon, lose @ SCAR, get right enough to come back and win the East only to get obliterated by Bama and head to the Citrus or something.

Likely case: 11-1, SEC East champs, lose to Bama again with no mulligan this time, go to a NY6 bowl as a lowkey close to the Stetson Era. Flags fly forever, baby.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

UW was super fun when I went up to the Nebraska game in 2010. There's beer/liquor tents right next to the stadium which is super convenient. Just don't poke the bottom of the beer glass :v:

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

I'm gonna post the predictions thread I saw you all!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4010717

Lets make it happen! Fill those posts!

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Aug 25, 2022

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Komet posted:

I used windscribe free tier. Caps at 10 GB a month which is plenty for me.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
What’s the best way for watching games without cable? Finally cut the cord and not sure what the best service is these days

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Demon Of The Fall posted:

What’s the best way for watching games without cable? Finally cut the cord and not sure what the best service is these days

YouTube TV has basically everything you’d want except PAC-12 Network, which no one has. All the ESPNs (including SECN, ACCN, and LHN), access to whatever is on ESPN3, CBSSN, FS1, and Big Ten Network. Probably just want to make sure it carries your local network stations (it usually does, but there can be exceptions).

General Dog fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Aug 25, 2022

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

General Dog posted:

YouTube TV has basically everything you’d want except PAC-12 Network, which no one has. All the ESPNs (including SECN, ACCN, and LHN), access to whatever is on ESPN3, CBSSN, FS1, and Big Ten Network. Probably just want to make sure it carries your local network stations (it usually does, but there can be exceptions).

And if they don't get your rear end an antenna

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Only other caveat is that they don’t carry any of the Sinclair (formerly Fox) RSNs anymore, but I’m pretty sure their CFB inventory is extremely limited these days, anyway.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

History's Greatest Champeens, Knights of the Piggly Wiggly
Your Alabama Crimson Tide
utah state - w
texas - w
ulm - w
vandy - w
woo pig - w
aggie - w
tennessee - w
clanga - w
lsu - w
ole miss - w
austin peay - w
auburn - l (just one of those things)

11-1, win sec, go back to playoff, roll tide roll tide roll tide

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
university of michigan, the champions of the west, the winningest team of the Big 10

CO State - w
Hawaii - w
Connecticut - w
Maryland - w
Iowa - w
those drat hoosier bastards - w
penn state - w
michigan state - w
rutgers - w
nebrasks - w
illinois - w
osu - w

will get washed immediately out of the playoffs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak

General Dog posted:

Plus YouTube TV is reportedly adding multi-picture viewing, so you'll be able to watch up to 4 channels at once.