Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
https://twitter.com/G2Thijs/status/1771539023900590152

very easy legend for me today with thijs' warrior deck, very fun to play

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Armor
May 5, 2023
I played against a few of those yesterday. One of them had a tendril that played that Mage spell that transforms all the minions in your hand to be +3 cost ones. They conceded a couple of turns later.

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Cats like optical fibers.
Normally I don't have too accurate an opinion on the Standard meta to make worthwhile recommendations. But I think these might be good:

1. Odyn -> either "The first time you gain armor in a turn, gain that much attack" or "Whenever you would gain armor, gain attack instead".
2. Deputization Aura -> either "Your left most minion has +3 attack" or "the first time on your turn the leftmost minion attacks, give it +3 attack and lifesteal".
3. Forge of Wills -> either "...summon a giant with its stats and taunt and can't attack" or "...summon a giant with its stats and rush that dies at the end of your turn".

However, given that these are system changes rather than stat changes, it would be understandable if they just increased the cost. I'm sure others may have better ideas or targets.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Jolly Jumbuck posted:

What list are you using? I'm hoping to try taunt mech Warrior during some work meetings today.

haven't been using anything in particular, just some nonsense I've thrown together so far. It's not very successful lol

I'm sure there are good lists out there by now but I haven't had much time to play lately so I haven't been digging into it yet

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Firebert posted:

very easy legend for me today with thijs' warrior deck, very fun to play

was watching dane earlier and he was playing spectral cutlass sonya rogue against someone running this deck. dane was on the ropes and the guy slammed a bunch of tendrils down, rolling double table flip at least five tendrils in a row. dane lost to a sunset volley eventually but it was very funny while it lasted

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

It turns out that a shadow stepped Sonya into a swashburgled lightning reflexes gives you a lot of weapon damage on turn 7

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
E: Ignore.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Mar 24, 2024

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

World War Mammories posted:

was watching dane earlier and he was playing spectral cutlass sonya rogue against someone running this deck. dane was on the ropes and the guy slammed a bunch of tendrils down, rolling double table flip at least five tendrils in a row. dane lost to a sunset volley eventually but it was very funny while it lasted

I won a game vs a Shudderblock shaman who bricked like this like 6 times in a row, felt good lol

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
does anyone know what happens if you cast 10-mana tendrils with Shudderblock? do you still get Sunset Volley but it can’t go face, or do you always get Flip the Table or whatever it’s called

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Julio Cruz posted:

does anyone know what happens if you cast 10-mana tendrils with Shudderblock? do you still get Sunset Volley but it can’t go face, or do you always get Flip the Table or whatever it’s called

Sunset Volley *can* go face because it’s “random” and not targeted

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Sandwolf posted:

the card text specifically says “can’t damage”, so if it can go face that seems like a bug?

e: just seen MarkMcKz has a video on this today

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
It's not a bug - it can go face because it's not, strictly speaking, the Tendril's battlecry doing the damage, but rather a spell cast by the Tendril's battlecry. It's why, for example, Shudderblock wouldn't work with Denathrius but does work with Kalimos' "deal 6 to the enemy hero" effect

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Sandwolf posted:

Sunset Volley can go face, but not for that reason. Shudderblock specifically stops the parts of a battlecry that say "do X damage to the enemy hero". Effects like the random spells from Tendril battlecries or Kalimos' elemental evocations? That's effectively just "battlecry: play another random card" and Shudderblock's effect doesn't look at that second card at all.

When Pigs Cry
Oct 23, 2012
Buglord
e: beaten xd

There was a Twitter post a few days before the expansion and iirc because the battlecry is "cast x" the spells can go face, just battlecries that would actually deal damage to face wouldn't

Doji Sekushi
Dec 26, 2006

HI
I know pally gets a lot of poo poo for being op, but the aggro hunter list low key ruins all the current meta decks. It’s insane. If pally gets (justly) nerfed, this will run rampant. I’ve pulled some bullshit during games I should have lost.

### Aggro
# Class: Hunter
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Pegasus
#
# 2x (1) Awakening Tremors
# 2x (1) Bunch of Bananas
# 2x (1) Sneaky Snakes
# 2x (1) Thornmantle Musician
# 2x (1) Vicious Slitherspear
# 2x (2) Barrel of Monkeys
# 2x (2) Jungle Gym
# 2x (2) Observer of Myths
# 2x (2) Patchwork Pals
# 2x (2) Remote Control
# 2x (3) Saddle Up!
# 2x (4) R.C. Rampage
# 1x (5) Barak Kodobane
# 1x (5) Leeroy Jenkins
# 2x (5) Mantle Shaper
# 1x (6) Aggramar, the Avenger
# 1x (0) Zilliax Deluxe 3000
# 1x (3) Pylon Module
# 1x (4) Ticking Module
#
AAECAfm0BgTX+QXHpAb95Qbm5gYN5soF5PUFl/YFyPYF0vgFy44G0o4GkJ4G8aUG8qUG/6UGkqYG1/MGAAED87MGx6QG9rMGx6QG6N4Gx6QGAAA=
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

Also random nerf ideas—

Leeroy — summon 2 whelps with taunt (still can get the otk if you have a board, which is the problem right now)
1 cost pirate guy — rush instead of charge (1 mana charge, gently caress that)
Plush tiger — add 2 mana cost or lose mini (just compare it to the DK that requires you to have all 3 runes)
Shroomskavate — gently caress this card, pally should never have access to windfury. Should be more like “add +2, +1 and divine shield to a minion, excavate.”]

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
saddle up is just miserable to play against

also like half the beasts they get seem to be mechs so you have to deal with some very stupid interactions

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

I do wonder if shroomscavate might get a "it can't attack the enemy hero this turn" like blessing of authority back in scholomance or whenever it was

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
Pretty much every suggested nerf I’ve seen suggested for Shroomscavate makes it completely worthless

It’s obviously a problematic card with neutral charge minions back in the format, but it’s also a core piece of the excavate package for two classes, and I’d hate to kill those decks with splash damage. Like, remember how pathetic excavate Warrior was when Blast Charge cost three

Honestly I’m still not sure why they brought back neutral charge in the first place. I get that they’re worried about lethality and that Leeroy is an iconic card, but there are way too many ways to make him a from-hand OTK in modern Hearthstone. And was anyone really nostalgic for Deckhand? Cut that annoying guy and put Amalgam of the Deep in the Core Set instead

Powered Armor
May 5, 2023
For what it's worth, I was watching pocket_train yesterday after I tried out some new decks from that guru site and he said Shroomscavate and Leeroy are fine, the main problem with Paladin is lifesteal (mostly in the form of Tigress Plushie) which makes a certain amount of sense because that deck takes a while to come online and aggro decks would finish them off a lot more often if they couldn't recover their entire HP total in a couple of attacks. I know the air is more rarified in the 1-50 ranks but I found it really interesting to hear his opinions about the current meta.

He said Paladin and Odyn Warrior are the top two decks (duh) with Wheel Lock up there too. Hunter is complete garbage at the top end but can most likely get work done elsewhere, and Mage is currently the worst class by far everywhere. Shaman has one deck that might be really good against Paladin (he played it a bit but I wasn't really paying attention) and I think he made a comment at some point in response to a question that when trying to build a new deck you shouldn't try to beat Warrior, which maybe speaks volumes.

I tried a couple variations of the Zarimi Priest deck and that big "Extra Turn" button is a nice dopamine hit but it's hard to keep a board most of the time to make use of it since it's only really good as a finisher. I also tried Window Shopper DH, which has a nice one-trick in the title card getting discounted by the weapon. Decent aggro minions, Red Card to remove taunts, and classic DH reach to finish makes it pretty fun to play but I haven't worked out all the kinks. I'll probably go back to my Wishing Well Rogue soon but I wanted to try out some new cards from other classes.

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Cats like optical fibers.

Powered Armor posted:

...the main problem with Paladin is lifesteal (mostly in the form of Tigress Plushie) which makes a certain amount of sense because that deck takes a while to come online and aggro decks would finish them off a lot more often if they couldn't recover their entire HP total in a couple of attacks.

I was thinking Deputization Aura but this makes sense too.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
So Priest felt almost good for the first couple days, but it's rapidly becoming apparent that the class just doesn't have the juice to hang with the big boys. The new cards are, individually, very powerful but every actual deck has some crippling weaknesses when compared to everyone else. The dragon package simply isn't good enough in the early game for Zarimi to seal the deal, the hero power package can't reasonably deal enough damage without needing a ridiculous OTK setup that doesn't work against Warrior anyway, and if you go control you still don't have a loving way to end the game in a world where Brann/Odin, Helya, Leeroy, Sargeras, and whatever the gently caress Shaman is up to exist as inevitable wincons. Everything the class does feels one turn too slow.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Paladin feels totally manageable without Leeroy Jenkins.

Annoying?
Yes.
(Buffed) sticky minions, neutering of big threats (Finley, Amitus, Tarim), removal (buffed rush with divine shield, Gnomelia), a poo poo ton of healing, tutoring of key cards (Trinket Master) ... even Shroomscavate CAN somehow be mitigated sometimes.

But Leeroy... come on. He's got to go, man.

Edit: Hovering at Plat 1 with two one star and the third Paladin in a row. JFC.
Gatekeeping much?

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Mar 25, 2024

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Strongly disagree about the current paladin problems.

I don't think the issue is Leeroy OR lifesteal. The problem is shroomscavate.

Handbuffing is slow and inconsistent, and being able to swing the board/hp back is a tool that the deck absolutely should have. Charge damage also isn't devastatingly OP when it's both telegraphed and able to be blocked by taunts. No other class has an issue with Leeroy or deckhands, it's just because of paladins specifically being easily able to assemble 25+ damage without much effort thanks to shroomscavate

Take away windfury and the class loses both a ton of reach as well as some of the most insane lifesteal swings

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

fanny packrat posted:

I played that list a bit, seems good. Shaman's zoo/burn deck is starting to get interesting. I need more reps with it, but it seems like it can get under paladin, burn out warlock, and concede against warrior.

### Custom Shaman
# Class: Shaman
# Year of the Pegasus
#
# 2x (1) Flowrider
# 2x (1) Lightning Bolt
# 2x (1) Lightning Reflexes
# 2x (1) Miracle Salesman
# 2x (1) Novice Zapper
# 2x (1) Pop-Up Book
# 1x (1) Spirit Claws
# 2x (1) Thrall's Gift
# 1x (2) Bloodmage Thalnos
# 2x (2) Dryscale Deputy
# 2x (2) Flash of Lightning
# 2x (2) Gold Panner
# 2x (2) Kobold Geomancer
# 2x (2) Needlerock Totem
# 2x (2) Wandmaker
# 2x (5) Crash of Thunder
#
AAECAfe5AgKXoASU5gYO6ucDo58E+Z8ExNAFze4FyvgFy/gFhY4G65gGzpwGnJ4GqKcG66kG7+YGAAA=
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

This deck is extremely legit and only really struggles against control warriors who know the matchup and focus on armoring up. Highly recommend people to try it - barely costs any dust and is very high power level.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Strongly disagree about the current paladin problems.

I don't think the issue is Leeroy OR lifesteal. The problem is shroomscavate.

Handbuffing is slow and inconsistent, and being able to swing the board/hp back is a tool that the deck absolutely should have. Charge damage also isn't devastatingly OP when it's both telegraphed and able to be blocked by taunts. No other class has an issue with Leeroy or deckhands, it's just because of paladins specifically being easily able to assemble 25+ damage without much effort thanks to shroomscavate

Take away windfury and the class loses both a ton of reach as well as some of the most insane lifesteal swings

Shaman has access to Shroomscavate yet I haven't seen a single one of them running Leeroy

When Pigs Cry
Oct 23, 2012
Buglord
The VS pod put the Leeroy Problem into words really well - the issue isn't really Charge, Windfury, or buffs. It's the combination of the three that's really hosed. Shaman can run Leeroy + Shoomscavate, but it isn't a problem because they can't make him a big rear end in a top hat

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

bravesword posted:

Pretty much every suggested nerf I’ve seen suggested for Shroomscavate makes it completely worthless

It’s obviously a problematic card with neutral charge minions back in the format, but it’s also a core piece of the excavate package for two classes, and I’d hate to kill those decks with splash damage. Like, remember how pathetic excavate Warrior was when Blast Charge cost three

Honestly I’m still not sure why they brought back neutral charge in the first place. I get that they’re worried about lethality and that Leeroy is an iconic card, but there are way too many ways to make him a from-hand OTK in modern Hearthstone. And was anyone really nostalgic for Deckhand? Cut that annoying guy and put Amalgam of the Deep in the Core Set instead
I think it would be ok, Shaman doesn't really care about Shroomscavate because their reward is a meme and anti-synergistic with it to boot.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

bravesword posted:

I don't give a gently caress, if Priest is taking strays for Druid breaking open their class cards why do other classes get a pass?

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
There's actually a Twist format right now? I had no idea lmao

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

ferroque posted:

This deck is extremely legit and only really struggles against control warriors who know the matchup and focus on armoring up. Highly recommend people to try it - barely costs any dust and is very high power level.

Yeah it feels consistent and powerful. Definitely worth playing around with.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

ferroque posted:

Yeah, this deck is fun and fast! Picking a line feels really satisfying and there's tons of flex.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Took The Boomobile as my T7 minion so of course the game refused to give me any mechs for the first five or six rounds, but once I managed to get a few Annoy-O-Trons, a cogwork copter, the scrap scraper & took the quest where playing a minion gives all your minions +1/+1 managed to beef up the board and sweep to victory

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012

Boatswain posted:

There's actually a Twist format right now? I had no idea lmao

Completely missed that, kind of a bummer. But it's just "every day we're getting a step closer to full wild", so not that exciting. Play queue is completely empty too, lol.

fanny packrat
Mar 24, 2018
Looks like there's a new aggro priest getting traction:

### Custom Priest2
# Class: Priest
# Year of the Pegasus
#
# 2x (1) Crimson Clergy
# 2x (1) Drone Deconstructor
# 2x (1) Funnel Cake
# 2x (1) Giftwrapped Whelp
# 2x (1) Miracle Salesman
# 2x (1) Ship's Chirurgeon
# 2x (2) Celestial Projectionist
# 2x (2) Power Chord: Synchronize
# 2x (2) Scale Replica
# 2x (2) Whelp Wrangler
# 1x (3) Benevolent Banker
# 1x (3) Pip the Potent
# 2x (3) Starlight Whelp
# 1x (5) Magatha, Bane of Music
# 1x (5) Timewinder Zarimi
# 2x (6) Thirsty Drifter
# 1x (7) Aman'Thul
# 1x (3) Pylon Module
# 1x (4) Ticking Module
#
AAECAd3cBQbm5AXP9gXDnAaknQbHpAbpqAYMougDu8cFoukF2voFuf4F44AGhY4GxpwG8ZwG6qgG66gG3PMGAAED87MGx6QG9rMGx6QG6N4Gx6QGAAA=
#

fanny packrat fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Mar 26, 2024

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

This meta feels pretty good in terms of which classes have viable decks.

What those decks are is a bit more of an issue though.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

This meta feels pretty good in terms of which classes have viable decks.

What those decks are is a bit more of an issue though.

Honestly it feels like one of the most balanced set releases they've had in a long time. Sure stuff is annoying but there's no DH or Galakrond-level ridiculousness that would make me swear off Standard for a while.

Edit: Just got OTK'd from hand on turn 4 by someone playing that shaman deck listed above...maybe that's problematic haha

Sloppy fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Mar 26, 2024

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
It feels like a very fast standard. Like most games are on a 7- 9 turn clock.

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/ZachODR/status/1772283203996221476

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

yeah handbuff paladin fed on unrefined decks but I think a light touch is what's needed to be honest

or nerfs that also hit flood paladin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

I’m so sick of loving warriors gaining like 60 Armor by turn 6. That needs to be stopped. No decks have that kind of reach.