Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

welp, the battlegrounds monetization strategy has been published:

https://hearthstone.blizzard.com/en-us/news/23831408/announcing-battlegrounds-season-2

Notably, the 2 hero selection bonus is now being hard-locked behind $$.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

The intermediate currency purchase thing is just the V-bucks/Robux/every-gatcha-game mechanic to exploit money out of kids and irresponsible spenders. So it's the token that goes in the slot machine.

Conversely, Loot boxes are the masquerading slot machines.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Is Kaelthas Sinstrider a safe craft or nah

The concept of "safe craft" hasn't existed for about a year and a half now.

e.g. one of the best uses of Kaelthas, Control Shaman, was gutted in the last round of nerfs, no refund.

There is a clear next round of nerfs incoming.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

https://www.vicioussyndicate.com/vs-data-reaper-report-239/

quote:

Demon Hunter decks are not good. Contrary to popular perception that they are somehow competitive, they range from bad to very, very bad.

quote:

We’ll give Enrage Warrior some credit. It got a lot better thanks to the buffs, it was just so far away from being remotely playable that even adding 8% in its overall win rate leaves it deep in Tier 4.

quote:

Paladin got buffed and yet it somehow got worse. While DH and Warrior made some progress away from being gutter trash, Paladin jumped head first into the dumpster.

:laffo: and this is what got published AFTER ZachO got all the salt out of his system

AnacondaHL fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Aug 25, 2022

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Patch Notes also posted:
https://hearthstone.blizzard.com/en-us/news/23831411/24-2-patch-notes

This change seems cool for BGs:

quote:

Players can now exceed 10 Gold when selling minions or otherwise gaining Gold during the shop phase. The start-of-turn maximum is still 10 Gold.

But otherwise lol at the monetization

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I queued up XL Spooky Mage three days ago for some quests.

Immediately ran into aggro druid and aggro DH, crushed them.

Felt dirty, logged off.

Today, needed to finish my monthly legend climb and do more mage/hp quests.

Started on PLATINUM 3 with a winstreak:

:barf:

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Quotey posted:

the genius beancounters at blizzard have done it. rather than the typical, more predatory thing of having expensive bundles with more value, they have done the complete opposite in many countries! 10% off if you buy 8k in 500 increments. transaction fee problem uh, solved (well, the UK and Mexico so far, but i'm assuming it's a rounding thing and they hosed it up loads of places)

you'll still be able to buy prepurchases, the tavern pass, non bundle packs (and the golden miniset) with cash. otherwise, yeah, runestones.

This can't be real.

I refuse to believe this is real.

:lmao:

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

RatHat posted:

Yeah I think this is just a mistake with converting from USD because the USD prices don’t have this issue

The USD prices actually also had this issue, just not to this degree.

The USD prices were just $0.01 off, so 8000 Runestones in 16 small purchases would be $79.84 versus buying directly for $79.99

But 63.84 versus 69.99 is a tad more of a difference :lmao:

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

NorgLyle posted:

I already miss the easy to complete Battlegrounds quests showing up as part of the weekly rotation. Boy I love playing Infuse cards...

I re-roll the Play 30 Infuse weekly. It's so bad.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

The tavern brawl is the most rigged poo poo ever, what in the actual gently caress

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

The change to Guff is like a 6-7 mana nerf. Harsh, but fair.

Firebert posted:

We waited weeks for this??

Not seeing it; these changes are so minor

In general minor changes do way more than players think they do, but even moreso in this meta. Just one -1/-1 change killed Imp Warlock, for example.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Firebert posted:

I wonder if Shaman will still play Kael (if that deck is even playable), since you can still Kael-Bolner-Denny? No shot Druid runs it since Guff is still gonna be played in all ramp.

Double doubt on Shaman, as
1) Shaman will still be dead because Snowfall is just awful, and
2) having the multiple ways to combo was important for that deck, especially because the 40 health was necessary.

The only reason Druid was sometimes running Kaelthas was to sometimes hedge for if you didn't draw Guff, but after enough games it turned out this was not necessary and going all in on finding and playing Guff was better. After the nerf I don't see the end result changing, but the reason for not playing Kaelthas of course is now different.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

BRJurgis posted:

Pray you get me as an opponent for your next arena run. Years of playing this game off and on, and 7 is my one time high from a norm of 2-3 wins. Even when I have what I think is a lucky pool and build some nice combos, I feel hopelessly outclassed after a third win.

Back in the day I read guides and breakdowns trying to get better, I remember them! I don't play regularly enough to learn metas, i usually use the deck it gifts me when I come back to the game.. so arena should be perfect for me! guess I figured I'd get better with time, but that does not seem to be so!

Meet me in the arena then, chances are when I conclude my deck sucks and so do I I'll just burn all my moves completing quests, then face attack your minion to suicide. Just trying to burn through these tavern tickets and put this behind me. Sucks to suck!

Recommended to use a simple tierlist to assist with your draft, such as https://www.heartharena.com/tierlist

Just following the values will set you up with a deck good enough to grab wins, even without knowing the meta or all the available cards.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Boatswain posted:

Does anyone have a list for the Aggro DH mentioned in the last VS podcast? Relic DH is fun but I'm facing too many Theotars right now :saddowns:

:ssh: (this is probably the list that will be published tomorrow) :ssh:

### Aggro Nathria
# Class: Demonhunter
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Hydra
#
# 2x (0) Dispose of Evidence
# 2x (1) Fury (Rank 1)
# 2x (1) Irondeep Trogg
# 2x (1) Metamorfin
# 2x (1) Peasant
# 2x (1) Vicious Slitherspear
# 2x (2) Battleworn Vanguard
# 2x (2) Bibliomite
# 2x (2) Chaos Strike
# 2x (2) Fel Barrage
# 2x (2) Fossil Fanatic
# 2x (2) Multi-Strike
# 1x (3) Lady S'theno
# 2x (3) Magnifying Glaive
# 2x (3) Predation
# 1x (6) Kurtrus, Demon-Render
#
AAECAea5AwKHiwT7vwQOwvED9PYDifcD9fgDtp8EyZ8E4aQEjrAEiLIEmLoEwMoEpeIEq+IExuIEAA==
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone
# Generated by HDT - https://hsreplay.net

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Shockeh posted:

Guff nerf helped, but the very existence of Ramp Druid having the clearance it does means to exist, Aggro needs to be crazy dumb/quick. Cards like SoO being functionally a cheaper (or rampable) ‘Twisting Nether gently caress you everything is gone’ gives you the option of either end the game before Turn 7 or lose for aggro.

I think the Guff nerf itself was ‘correct’ - It’s still a rock solid Hero card. Just there’s core issues with the Druid pool that messing with it alone won’t address.

And then the necessity of Aggro (lol Druid again) being as quick as it is to be viable pushes a bunch of middling concepts out of existence. It’s quite an interesting problem, in a way.

I made a prediction a while back and a few nerfs ago that Scale of Onyxia would not get nerfed, because it felt like a card that they instead would want to naturally phase out of the meta with gentle power creep.

Instead they lit everything on fire, then doused it, leaving Scale soaked and still the secondary lynchpin of Druid's "either I have it and live or die" strategy. So RIP that prediction!

Oenis posted:

I thought the meta of ramp druid and mage was much more enjoyable than the absolute dominance that wallet midrange hunter presents. Very boring. Worst part is, it's likely to stay this way until the mini set. Ugh.

I'm playing Naga Priest until the end (because it's the only deck I have left after all the nerfs and dusting, and because somehow my brain just knows the right plays with the deck despite the disgust at playing Priest), and it's at least challenging the Hunter dominance

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Im getting thrashed playing naga priest but its a really fun deck with a lot of complex decision trees. Is the meta moving against it or am i just bad? Would any particular streamer play it enough to be worth watching? Any good written guides to the deck?

1) Deck still strong in the meta
2) Aside from figuring things out by trial and error, I learned by watching NoHandsGamer play it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZXHA4xoTpU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NMW3a3Ec3g
3) not that I know of

CAVEAT: Time's up though, everything could change tomorrow

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Sounds like the Paladin Jailer combo deck has been refined enough to be playable, or at least a fun meme in Standard:

Combo core:
1x (10) The Jailer
1x (8) Kael'thas Sunrider
1x (5) Calvary Horn
2x (4) Invigorating Sermon
2x (3) Stonehearth Vindicator
2x (2) Order in the Court

Spice:
2x (2) Gankster

Rest:
1-drops
(edit:) Great Hall
maybe Prince Renethal

AnacondaHL fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Sep 28, 2022

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Adding to ^,

Shockeh posted:

I don’t think you can. Literally, the only reason Guff isn’t 100% of Ladder is that Hunter deck exists, and the moment you drop it, he’s back. Game is actually hosed right now.

The decks to watch out for would be Mage and Imp Warlock. Something proactive would have to be done to those decks as well to prevent them from just replacing Hunter as meta tyrants.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Mayveena posted:

VS is showing Beast Hunter from 18-21% of the meta. How much of any given meta (or this meta) should a deck be played on competitive ladder (ie D4 and above). Curious to read folks' thoughts on this.

https://www.vicioussyndicate.com/vs-data-reaper-report-243/

This concept is addressed in the now-infamous "Airing of Grievences" VS podcast

but in general, in the 10-class era, anything over 15%18% probably indicates diversity is being hampered

AnacondaHL fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Oct 7, 2022

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Mayveena posted:

Good point. Should matchup favorability be considered when they nerf?

The matchup matrix is the main driver that causes a deck to be played more or played less on ladder, so therefore is a key to determining nerfs/buffs. Again, this was the argument made in the grievences podcast, and it's a pretty good argument.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

giant minion piles are cool and fun actually

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

RatHat posted:

I think they forgot to turn on drops for the stream

They are on now, I had to refresh to see it

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Toshimo posted:

For next Tuesday's stream?

Yes, but also for the Fall Championship happening all weekend

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Reminder: 2.5 hours until the ~Announcement~, i.e. free pack

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Elblanco posted:

SO I just jumped back in, got 80 packs and cracked them all and have some stuff to dust and such. Which of the 6 loaner decks can be upgraded to a meta deck the easiest? It looks like priest to me but I don't want to gently caress up and pick a deck that might just no longer be good a month from now.

There are no established meta decks right now because everything just changed 2 days ago with the additions of Sunwell + KOTFT cards to the pool.

Also a month from now the expansion is releasing, so a deck that is still good a month from now will be the exception, not the rule.

Just pick what looks fun to you!

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

frajaq posted:

If I disenchant old cards that are on Wild sets, and if in the future Blizz decides to put some of the old stuff in a new Core set, I'm not gonna get hosed right?

On the other hand I assume some cards on Core set that go away are not gonna magically appear in my account once they're gone

The answer to both of your questions is Yes and Yes, they are just worded weirdly.

e.g. Core set last year included Cogmaster and Baron Rivendare, I did not have the Goblins vs Gnomes version of Cogmaster before, but I have the original Baron Rivendare from Naxxramas.

When both of these cards rotated out for Core Set 2022 the core versions of both are gone, but my Naxx Baron Rivendare is still in my collection.

edit: changed example to actual reality

AnacondaHL fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Nov 5, 2022

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

this next expansion is gonna suck for F2P if they keep this pricing structure of 2000g for the DK cards

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

afaik it's a completely separate set, same as Demon Hunter Initiate was, only instead of being free it's 2000g/$

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

NorgLyle posted:

Oh wow, I hadn't realized that they were going to charge for it. How is that even supposed to work? From a gameplay perspective it seems unusual at best to lock the Core cards for theoretically one and only one of the main playable classes behind a paywall.

Apparently it is included in the Mega Bundle so I got it but I don't think everybody in the game should be expected to shell out $80.

Well they didn't lock all the core cards behind a paywall. They split it up across 3 things to try and mask what they were doing.

https://hearthstone.blizzard.com/en-us/news/23852696

32 free DK cards added to Core

10 as part of March of the Lich King set

26 in Path of Arthas, for 2000g/1500 Runestones

If they release a Miniset later then this sucks.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Oenis posted:

Also, so far we got Frostmourne, Anti Magic Shell, Army of the Dead and Obliterate, I think it's pretty safe to assume that we'll get the rest of the Lich King set in some form as well.

https://youtu.be/D11auLUWnwA?t=486

"It has been confirmed that the following cards did not match the DK identity:
Death Coil
Death and Decay
Death Grip
Doom Pact"

so 4 out of 8 is all

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm going to submit an early hot take and say that any of the triple rune DK builds will have to be super focused with big payoff, and so far none of the payoffs look good enough. The 1-rune cards are overall stronger, and it would have to take way more than what we've seen to not do hybrid builds.

example: All the 1-frost cards that do flexible burn damage are stronger and fit better with 2-unholy cards than 3-unholy stuff does.

AnacondaHL fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Nov 9, 2022

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Kalko posted:

I'm liking blood the most so far. It has that classic control feel plus some hand buff which is often bad but fun to imagine working well.

All the handbuff cards are 1-rune and splashable, and almost certainly won't be put into the triple blood decks (edit: if into anything at all).

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

If the 40 card Ramp Druid deck still exists after this expansion, that card will be part of the list.

Less likely but still likely same with Control Shaman and Quest Priest.

Playing both 1st and 2nd forms on 7 mana on the same turn with benefit is a great design: 7-mana 7/7, Deal 2 damage, Gain 5 Armor. Doing all three on the same turn for 15 mana also looks good.

fake edit: It's probably faster to just say the card is making the cut in 40 card lists, should any still exist.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

bravesword posted:

My experience trying to make Pyros work in a much lower-powered format makes me immediately skeptical of this thing.

I actually think it’s better in Shaman, though. Bolner + the third version is 32 missiles, and there’s lots of places elsewhere in the curve to squeeze in the first two pieces.

This card is the clear 3rd iteration on the Pyros/Snowman design, where they are like "ok, FINE, we'll make the card playable by giving useful battlecries to each form"

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Also it depends on how this card text is interpreted, but I'm p sure if you do Bolner/Brann stuff with Astalor you will only get the Battlecry portion doubled, not the Manathirst portion.

So you're only getting two copies of the next form, or on the final form only doubling the initial 8 damage. Which is still really good, but anyways.

e.g. so Druid can do a cute 15 mana play of Brann + Astalor 1 + Astalor 2 + Astalor 2 = 15 mana 14/16, Deal 2, Gain 10 Armor, put 4 copies of Astalor 3 into hand

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Blessed be every Wronchi card reveal animation we get
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvfVLNjNWG8

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Those discard cards seem like there were specifically designed for Wild, and/or to be combined with something ~possibly in the future sets~ should they feel like supporting it.

Same with the Shaman cards that are hilariously and hamfistedly odd mana cost

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Man, I guess it has been a while since Hand of Guldan was a thing, but it was still playable in Wild upto this year. Does that not "count" as discolock? All that stuff was fine and worked.

Also they definitely design cards for use in Wild (i.e. not-Standard and not-Arena), not only because it's interesting for the deckbuilding Johnnys out there, but it also helps smooth out the power curve of available playables in Standard. Like even this current expansion, all the totem Shaman cards are pretty blatantly designed for Wild-only so that Standard didn't accidentally get something too good to make Control Shaman become dominant.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

The format for Day 2 is also really convoluted at first glance, muddled further by when the casters said something that directly contradicted the words on the screen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Firebert posted:

https://twitter.com/ben_heathstone/status/1594783477395853313

lol so that's how no minion demon hunter would work, you lose a ton of consistency cutting the discover minions though

A touch hamfisted, but there was no way this was gonna work without allowing Jace/etc. into these decks, but I like the look so far