Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

NorgLyle posted:

When are we going to get a new Rager? I hope the min-set fixes this glaring omission from recent expansions.

We sure got Playerbase Rager with the announcement today :v:

It's intensely funny that this dropped on page 1 of the thread reboot.

NA server: (username) poundsign one + the weed number - though I operate on Korean (read: Japan) hours so YMMV

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

Lurks With Wolves posted:

Yeah, the only actual economy changes are the battlegrounds pass no longer being available for gold and switching to a runestone system (which in theory shouldn't change anything until they start actually selling things for less than $5, given how they implemented it).

Uh, yeah, they're already doing this. There are a bunch of individual skins in the BG shop right now that cost 150 stone. Which I'm fine with, because that's exactly the kind of thing I would like to be able to pick and choose.

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

Toshimo posted:

What exploit?

Probably that Ritual Dagger gives a permanent boost to any beast that dies while it has the Leapfrogger DR on it, which seems like an unintended reaction until you consider that it makes Sneed slightly less worse. Get it early enough in the lobby and all of your beasts bloat to the point of nigh unkillability especially once you have parrot shenanigans going.

I hesitate calling it an exploit only because if it only applied to native deathrattles Sneed would suck worse than he already does.

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

Navaash posted:

Probably that Ritual Dagger gives a permanent boost to any beast that dies while it has the Leapfrogger DR on it, which seems like an unintended reaction until you consider that it makes Sneed slightly less worse. Get it early enough in the lobby and all of your beasts bloat to the point of nigh unkillability especially once you have parrot shenanigans going.

Following up, I finally got to try this myself last night. Easiest 2nd place ever. The only reason I didn't win was because the winner was playing Al'Akir and got Theotar's Parasol, so his golden Baron was completely hidden and I was unable to find Zapp (and it would have been a crapshoot if I could have even hit him, because it was just as likely I would have slammed the Rat Pack first, to say nothing of that Zapp wouldn't have even killed him the first time around and would have had to survive a whole go around to get another shot).

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

peer posted:

what would battlegrounds look like if neutrals were sometimes excluded from the pool, like any other tribe?

Assuming you mean just neutrals, and also not tribe-specific neutrals: Beasts, pirates, and menagerie would be basically bottom 4 bait (beasts would be slightly playable if you get Dagger online quickly). It would come down to murlocs killing any tribe that didn't reliably have access to Divine Shield, and even then gold Young Murk-Eye + gold Swolefins would probably be enough to overwhelm almost anything. George would be OP and possibly have to be banned.

If you're deleting tribe-specific neutrals as well, that's a whole other can of worms. Murlocs still maintain their power because they don't have any. No Nadina undermines the entire dragon build. Demon early game is undercut due to no Wrath Weaver and no Soul Juggler. Elemental scaling would be entirely dependent on getting Rag. Mechs probably do okay except for losing Apprentice, but every game would devolve into Deflect-o/Mecherel refresh chains. Naga, no change outside of the minor loss of Orgozoa. Quillboar depends on if you ban Agammagan or not - if you remember, initially he was coded to not appear if Beasts were banned.

But yeah, just my amateur thinking about it for 15 minutes says this probably isn't a good idea.

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

Man, I can't even. This was a game where I had the first Nomi on turn 7 and tripled it on turn 12.

His board was Leeroy/Leeroy/three poisoned murlocs, one of which was a Felfin Navigator/two Mantid Queens. The left Queen rolled DS. Cyclone goes right into one of the Leeroys, thud. Second Leeroy kills the Molten Rock. Gold Wildfire goes RIGHT into the shielded Mantid Queen and falls over with a fart. One of the Navigators goes into Nomi and doesn't get hit again. Second Wildfire gets splatted before it can attack. End result: 5 + 3 + 6, which is enough to exact lethal me.

That doesn't happen, I likely win the lobby (I knew what everyone else had) or get 2nd at worst. Going out 5th just sucks even more now with getting 0 XP out of it.

He was the only player with Murlocs too.

edit: I was also getting 2 elementals/turn from the quest too. also I should point out that I had not played this AFKay all game and only saw "Murlocs 3", and they had lost the last 2 rounds in a row, so I had no idea what was coming.

Navaash fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Sep 17, 2022

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Not really unless he’s actually miles ahead of everyone else, there’s still 5 players left. He lost a 1-in-10

I was also getting 2 elementals/turn from the quest too. Also I should point out that I had not played this AFKay all game and only saw "Murlocs 3", and they had lost the last 2 rounds in a row, so I had no idea what was coming. (edited into the initial post)

1-in-10, more like 1-in-66 to die. Just bad beats all around.

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

This game was very amusing, 3 on 3'd, then 4 on 4'ed due to a bad shop and on the first roll on turn 5 got the 2 Tunnel Blasters, and completed the quest that same turn because it was lose or tie 2 combats. Watching every combat degenerate into dynamite flies, everyone dies was extraordinarily amusing.

Eventually transitioned into a beast build and got an easy 2nd place; only didn't win outright because LK went full scam build specifically to deal with me (didn't find a 3rd Baron but I don't think it would have mattered).

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

Man the end of the Mighty-posesi elimination match was some crazy poo poo.

Mighty was desperately trying to find his Purified Shard to before posesi found his Astalor in Ramp Druid in the final match of their elimination set, and both were just cycling through their decks like crazy, seemingly unable to find their wincon. Mighty finally finds his Shard, but is unable to play it since he had to draw into it... and Posesi topdecks Astalor on a 1-in-6 and slams down his entire combo to eliminate Mighty.

Really that entire series was just a bunch of insane lucksacking for posesi.

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

mcbexx posted:

I got bad news for you then, but I'm sure you have found out by now ...

Uhh?

PATCH NOTES posted:

This time, players who have the Signature version of Anub'Rekhan as of December 20th at 10am PST will receive a grant of 1600 Arcane Dust at login, later that week.

Also they didn't go far enough with the Renathal nerf. Just banish it from Standard already. (though if Genn/Baku are precedent, they'll turf it with the next set rotation, but are letting it stay for now in its nerfed form)

aw frig aw dang it posted:

I've been surprised to see a bunch of people upset over the Renathal nerf on the official forums and on reddit. Maybe it's because I hate fishing for cards but I barely ever ran it due to it creating a 40-card deck. I don't get the appeal.

It hard murdered the control archetype for classes not called Guff Druid and in particular murdered Warrior to the point of unplayability.

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

Starsfan posted:

Yeah... kripp's arena streams were what got me into hearthstone, no question about it.. I'm sure I'm one of tens of thousands on that front too. Too bad the arena meta was and is so awful it killed his love for the game

Well, that and a literal cabal of griefing assholes coordinating over Discord waiting in the wings with god decks to snipe his runs. I can't blame him for moving to a mode where it's nearly impossible to do that.

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

Oenis posted:

Wait, I don't get it. Why can you transform the Chemist when it's not an Undead?

It is an Undead. The tag was added with the MLK* patch.

*this is an unfortunate acronym

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

NorgLyle posted:

I can't figure out why anyone would AFK grind or Control Warrior / Priest grind any more when Mercenaries exits.

Because you have an entire legion of idiots whose entire raison d'etre is to wear never interacting with Mercenaries like some kind of twisted badge of pride. You most often seem them in the wild on Reddit, of course.

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

That didn't take long (first game of the patch). Putricide rocks.

(the other 1st place was a crazy elementals non-murlocs game where I got Secret Sinstone and nobody could get past a 400-health golden Garr)

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

oh my loving god I can't even get out of platinum no matter what I do

my luck in constructed in the last week has been so rotten that it would make peer blush

edit: complaining worked as always, I still stand by my second statement

Navaash fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Mar 26, 2023

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

Capped posted:

Pretty lovely to put a ghost into the lobby for any reason so you deserve to have that quest stuck forever

People are still dying by turn 8 so the 15 damage cap sticking around until then is making early droppers way less relevant.

Also by that logic someone dying on turn 8 makes them lovely for putting a ghost into the lobby, or any time someone's connection craps out, or when anyone dies with an even number of players remaining. Come on, man.

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

That would only apply if you're out of bonus stars though, right? If you have any multiplier at all, you're matched based on your hidden MMR, which means humans all the way. I should know, my internal MMR is probably bloated despite never making it to Legend so I constantly get beat on by trick decks and nut draws from the dumpster Legend ranks until (if) I exhaust my stars for the month and am lucky to have a win streak at all.

When I ventured into Classic for shits and giggles with 0 bonus stars I easily cleared the 12-win achievement and got as high as 21 wins playing almost nothing but bots who made illogical plays and only used basic cards.

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

gently caress, I am doing badly with Outcast DH. 3-10 with the only wins coming against a rogue and 2 druids (a third druid got both attack-increasing idiots in the opening hand and I was dead on 7, and the fourth druid I just alt-F4'ed out of the game in disgust after they summoned two 3/33 quilboars).

Is there just too much that can go wrong? Either I draw S'theno/Rowdy Fan too early or I get low-cost Outcast cards just jammed between my highest-cost cards, or the opponent just draws the nuts.

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

Math You posted:

Has anyone else found battlegrounds to be really stingy lately?
Like being the only person playing a tribe, rushing 6 and never finding a 6 drop from that tribe? Or never getting a golden copy of a core piece for your build?

Like it always sucks to get squeezed out of the pieces you need to pop off but usually there's at least other players chasing those pieces.

Yeah, even the pros have been getting really pissy about this buddy meta (I hang out on the competitive discord). The minion pool is the most bloated it's ever been, especially at T6, so you have even less of a chance to hit the card you want, the highrolls have gotten dramatically higher, and buddy play patterns make a lot of heroes nonviable at higher levels.

Like, if you don't have scaling online by turn *6*, you're probably looking at 5th place at best. At least on NA, battlegrounds is extremely hostile to anyone who can't find/isn't playing tempo.

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

skaboomizzy posted:

is Hearthstone Deck Tracker broken for anyone else since this update?

It was earlier. It got caught in some kind of deadlock-like loop and started to heat up my CPU like mad until I force-closed it (was easy to tell being on my laptop at the time). That having been said, hsreplay is showing games registering so maybe try closing and reloading it?

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

NorgLyle posted:

I've been trying it out this weekend just to get a sense of how broken it actually is and my anecdotal evidence is that a lot of Pure Paladin games end on turn 6 when you play the weapon and your opponent hovers over it and then counts the cards in you hand and then just stops trying.

Or if you're me they just drop the viper that they were already holding or drew into that turn, leading me to never drop it on 6 unless I already have the backup in hand.

That having been said, the deck finally pushed me to 500 wins with pally, so I can't complain that much.

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

^^ So then reword the card to "Whenever your hero attacks, set this weapon's Attack to 3, and if attacking a minion, its stats are set to 3/3." Would preserve the spirit of what it's intended to do while also killing its face burst potential. Only worry is if it would be considered too much text on a card, even though we aren't anywhere near any of the novel-length single card game texts in Magic/YGO.

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

Hey if he ragequits a W is a W. I had a game the other day where it was down to three and the third place player (I was facing him and in second) abruptly threw the waving murloc emote and quit. He shouldn't have since his ghost hit me for 11 and basically left me to my last strike.

I ended up winning that game with a Bristlebach board that constantly refreshed my two Tough Tusks*, and on the final round was able to refresh my Pufferquil's* venom because I found a Glowscale shield cycling through cards. It took 7 full turns including 4 ties to do so because the Patchwerk was running the grandest murloc scam with Mrrglrs, Breams, Belchers, 4 hand minions' worth of Bassgills (the two breams mentioned before and two Rotgills) and a Leeroy to taste. I don't think anything other than the build I bumblefucked into can beat that, and even then I had to luck into a golden Selfless Hero to fully break the deadlock.

*Non-gold! Bristlebach resets wont work if these are gold!

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

quote != edit

Also won my first offering of Hogger today. First triple was Dealer, second was Dealer, and third Tethys. The Hogger HP synergy is gross with Dealers. Also pretty lucky Tethys didn't abruptly toss me a third Dealer and muck up my board.

Navaash fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jun 26, 2023

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

Titans are Mercenaries in function for their first three actions. It's the same behavior!

You will never be free of Mercs :classiclol:

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

With the Gunslinger Kurtrus reveal and someone on the BG Discord calling him Kurt it just clicked with me that his whole name is one of Blizzard's pop culture references.

KURTRUS aShfaLLEn. (transpose the E 2 places left)

They played the long game here.

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

Orange Crush Rush posted:

This game is in a funny state right now, because Aggro Paladin is one of (and quite possibly the) best decks in the game, and nobody seems to want to play it. And at the same time, that deck gets brutally countered by another very, very good deck; Enrage Warrior. Which most people don't realize how good it is, because again nobody wants to play it.

Speak for yourself, I keep queueing into that loving deck. And since I already have 500 wins for pally, I'd rather make progress elsewhere for the time being.

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

My ideal paladin nerfs:

- blast the class into the ground

It's okay to wreck a class for a while for the sake of the meta. The biggest problem cards are going to rotate out of Standard soon, it's loving okay to torch them until they're rotated out. Boogie Down while not rotating will lose a hell of a lot of its power once Sous Chef/Sanguine Soldier are gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

Mercs was fun for what it was. The PvE was a kind of best hits of classic WoW if you count Karazhan as content that was originally supposed to be in Vanilla before it was moved to TBC (save for Sunken City/Siege of Orgrimmar which got shoehorned in to fit the one expansion theme). Yes, it was flawed - fire comp was so dominant in PvE that they had to put in bosses specifically with fire resistance to make it a challenge - but it was something they were trying to address.

This is speculation, but there was still active development when the dev team was abruptly yanked off of it (unfinished versions of Serena and Leorokk were showing up in the random enemy merc pool in PvE) and the reason it stopped getting updated was that they lost the biggest source of the mode's income - the Chinese playerbase. The Netease contract fell apart on 11/17/2022 but officially on 1/23/2023, and Mercs had its final update shipped on 2/7/2023, leading me to believe that they were hoping something could be salvaged to the last second.

flatluigi posted:

astonished mercs outlived duels but I guess there must still be people spending money on mercs

There was that new year's Merc bundle that must have escaped notice in the game code that people were gawking at. I'm certain a few people bought it.