Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I travel a lot for work, usually near various military installations. I go to estate sales and see if there's any cool stuff, and sometimes I buy it.

Recently went to some old dude's house and saw this circuit board (3$), mounted on a wooden pedestal, in a place of honor. Nothing around to give away what the heck it is from. Guy had a lot of rocket and space stuff in his home.

Previously you goons helped me translate an old WWII letter I picked up that was kinda interesting (https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3925697). I hope some of you might be able to also figure something out about this thing too.

What is this thing from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
So that's where the control board to my cum pump wound up

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Destroy it before Cyberdyne creates Skynet with it.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

You Are A Elf posted:

Destroy it before Cyberdyne creates Skynet with it.

Uuuh, did you not read the part where I paid 3 dollars for it? I'm not just going to waste that kind of money. :colbert:

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

horrifying circuit pattern. extremely cursed hand drawn etch. i hate it.

between that and the 100% through hole solder construction, but not on bakelite, i'm going to say late 60s. that's all i have though cause i'm a mech eng. and i hate electricity

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Yeah it's from a factory OP

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

wait i missed the ICs on the right. i'm gonna revise to early to mid 70s

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
OP i googled the number on the board.

well see ya.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

maybe a early predecessor to a PLC board? It has ICs on it

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

horrifying circuit pattern. extremely cursed hand drawn etch. i hate it.

between that and the 100% through hole solder construction, but not on bakelite, i'm going to say late 60s. that's all i have though cause i'm a mech eng. and i hate electricity

So probably some old man's garage project?

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

spacetoaster posted:

So probably some old man's garage project?

no that was very much made in a factory

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
Nothing on the model numbers on the PCB that I can find. The capacitors are mil-spec though so it could be military, space, aviation, who knows might just be from some lab gear. Looks like date codes on the components in the 70s and the look of it tracks for that age. A youtuber called CuriousMarc is doing teardown and restorations on a bunch of Apollo gear and some of those things have plug in boards like that in the subassemblies.

Any markings on the metal strip clamped along the top edge there?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

MrQwerty posted:

no that was very much made in a factory

Told you

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

That's the master ice controller board from the old 700 series of margarita machines, they haven't been used in newer models since the late 80's.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
that's a sharp x 68000 motherboard duh. you can tell by the flux capacitors. see how they're inverted?

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

I can tell you that is some top-quality IPC3 soldering before IPC3 was a thing, and the components say the solder is leaded

The underside may have been waved, the ICs are definitely hand-soldered.

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Aug 23, 2022

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Isomermaid posted:

Nothing on the model numbers on the PCB that I can find. The capacitors are mil-spec though so it could be military, space, aviation, who knows might just be from some lab gear. Looks like date codes on the components in the 70s and the look of it tracks for that age. A youtuber called CuriousMarc is doing teardown and restorations on a bunch of Apollo gear and some of those things have plug in boards like that in the subassemblies.

Any markings on the metal strip clamped along the top edge there?

Whoa, yeah there are.

How can you tell the capacitors are military?

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

spacetoaster posted:

Whoa, yeah there are.

Those are component markings for drop probably, they tell you what part number goes in what position based on a diagram. Match component markings with positions.

This board is specifically missing R28, R10 and R9 on the topside, so that gives you an idea that it's a new version or revision. Revision seems likely with the cutout circuit, it could possibly a prototype of a revision reducing parts that was hand-etched.

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Aug 23, 2022

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

spacetoaster posted:

Whoa, yeah there are.

Just googled the numbers and pulled up data sheets.

The numbers on the top edge line up with the blue packages which googling tells me are variable resistors with little screws for adjustment, so yeah it's something that needed calibrating perhaps.

This is a video of Marc's where at 1.20 ish you see what it reminded me of
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66LK1UxKHAM

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
It’s from a missile, space vehicle, or satellite OP

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Looks like parts have been de-soldered from the board including either a multi-position switch or a vacuum tube.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Power it up OP, what’s the worst that could happen ?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Have you tried putting it in your anus?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
That's where he got it from, idiot!! I'd say it's a rare expendable item designed to generate 3 dollars for the owner. The specifics of its arcane design is lost to ages.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Who What Now posted:

OP already said it was displayed in a place of honor

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Who What Now posted:

I mean it does have ASSY printed right on the board.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

That's the motherboard for the 🅱️lamess 🅱️-🅱️ot. He needs it to forgive student loans op, give it back

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
its for an Electro-Harmonix FartBlaster guitar pedal - makes your guitar playing sound like, well....your posting, OP

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The missing resistors look like they connect into a bunch of components that are there, so they might have pulled the components they wanted for something else.

Either the previous owner or whoever awarded it to them.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

If you eat a capacitor you might gain deeper knowledge of its purpose and perhaps a degree of its forgotten power

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I bet it’s part of an Apollo or a shuttle and the dead guy had some hand in building or designing it or was just a collector and his lovely family had no idea and just sold his prized piece off to some rando for 3 bucks.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Looks like a 3 stage buffer with some transformer interrupts, probably for some kind of control input.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

Can you throw it in the small fire youve constructed in your backyard while safely recording the whole experience with your digital camera for the sole purpose of our collective entertainment op?

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

I bet it’s part of an Apollo or a shuttle and the dead guy had some hand in building or designing it or was just a collector and his lovely family had no idea and just sold his prized piece off to some rando for 3 bucks.

it does appear to be a 70s aerospace controller based on the molex connector and milspec components, but other than that i've exhausted my usefulness

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

I’ve got some wood that needs identifying

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

I'll get the microscope :xd:

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Colonel Cancer posted:

I'll get the microscope :xd:

:mad:

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
it's goatse, op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life
I tried to look them up but got nothing. Does anyone know what those 69xx series ICs do?

They seem like the kind of thing that’s standard. It’s also weird to see surface mount ICs like that in such an old piece of tech.

Could you get any dates or anything off this?