Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
Droppin' in to say the game is getting better every patch ever since the change in management and it is quite literally the best time to start playing or return!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

where the red fern gropes posted:

a builds section in the OP would be neat with some starter builds like rifle mechanist or power reaper or untamed

I don't do a whole lot of instanced content so I usually just grab whatever is popular on metabattle for open world builds: https://metabattle.com/wiki/Open_World#General_Builds. They probably get you to a good combination of traits/weapons/gear stats since some are better than others. The builds often skip out on hard crowd control (so push/pull/knockdown etc) so I'd try adding one if possible as it's good for bosses. You can also try mixing in a stun break or condition cleanse.

They've got a build for each class that uses the core/free to play traits and skills, and also a few "low-intensity" builds that emphasize passive healing/survival and weapons not needing much rotation.

For newer players getting set up at level 80, it can be advantageous to choose a power-based build to start which typically use Berserker stat gear. The level-80 exotic Berserker armor is cheap, just buy a set of "Devona's" armor on the trading post for <1 gold a piece. Weapons can be more, just set up a filter on the Trading Post (level 80, exotic, containing power, precision, and ferocity stats) and look for the cheapest option. Usually the cheapest is a named variant (for example, https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Bonetti%27s_Rapier for sword). And for getting gold, you can get 2 gold for completing 3 of the daily achievements and it's usually pretty quick.

Gaukler
Oct 9, 2012

I came back a couple months ago and it’s been good. I still hop around max level alts constantly meaning that my gearing is all over the place and I have no focus for getting AR, but I’ve been having a ton of fun.

Currently playing a bunch of Rev in fractals, strikes, and WvW and enjoying the hell out of it.

I was hoping that the 10th anniversary would come with a discount on the living world stuff because I’m still missing all of LS3 and IBS but no dice yet :(

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Started playing this again a few days before the steam release, having fun but did some WvW last night and poo poo the pace of combat in WvW is on steroids from what I remember.

It was always faster paced compared to other MMO's but now everyone zips around teleporting with star trek shields on

Also GW2 won't connect for me if I use my VPN and I am not sure why, any thoughts?

BadLlama fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Aug 24, 2022

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Hey OP just FYI you linked Vindicator instead of Willbender in the guardian section of the OP.

Also you missed this from the sPvP bit which is understandable but also it deserved to be preserved for another thread. PvP is my favourite gamemode so it's important it's properly represented.

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

so you've decided to try pvp

so, you've ran around the world a bit, and you've killed a few thousand flags on sticks. what's this pvp people talk about? well, i was just like you, friend, and i decided to try it out last night. the first thing you need to is click the pvp button (i think it's two crossed swords, but that could have just been the two dudes banging in world chat distracting me). join a pvp lobby??? you bet!

you will arrive in a tutorial world. this place is useless and i recommend you treat every friendly npc as if they were an enemy counterintelligence officer trying to confuse you. revive my allies? why the heck would i do that?!

you will next arrive in the mists, or something, i don't really know. there will be a bunch of people yelling about nerf guns, i think. at the top, there's a button that says 'find pvp match'. click it, then choose unranked, because your dad was right, you're too scared of risk, and that's why no one went to prom with you.

after reading about two charrs screwing for a while, you'll find a pvp match! vote for whatever map you think sounds coolest. i voted for the legacy of foo fighters, I think, but other people picked Sky Hammer so we had to have our rumble there.

the objectives
there are three points in gw2 pvp: home, mid, and far. i will break them down briefly.

home is the point where you go to inexplicably be killed by 5 of your enemies appearing from the fog, like a grim specter of vengeance.

mid is the point where most of the action happens. this means you will be the only person on your team to make a meaningful effort to appear there.

far is the point where your team goes to lose 4v1s against the opponent bunker guardian, at which point your team will tell you that you are a fucker.

the teams
now, let's break down the teams. as this is your first game of gw2 pvp, the enemy team will consist of five Europeans with over a million games who share a single consciousness and whose hivemind allows them to coordinate to a startlingly preternatural degree. they have long forgotten the concept of mercy, and the only joy they feel is when the opponent team does not score above 50 points. even if you could beat them (you can't), it would be cruel to deny them their fleeting happiness.

your team will consist of you, a family of vaguely organized salamanders, a phone book on a keyboard, a 1990s lego mindstorm trying to play using a primitive light sensor and a shoddy series of if-then statements, and a well-trained feline who will immediately change their class so as to be as redundant as possible. let's do this!

the match begins
four of your team immediately rush to capture the nearest point (home). this will be the last time you see three of them, so i suggest you do not become too attached. you should go mid and see if you can beat the opposite team there (you can't). when you see four of the opposite team on mid, you should attempt to pull back and find your team. an enemy thief will immediately appear behind you and begin the process of humiliating you. i either could not find the proper hotkey or else i did not assign the skill where my character comically falls on his butt, killing the thief, so i did what i am pretty sure is 100 percent correct play: died. while the opponent is trying to kill you, throw a bunch of rocks at them. in this way, the thief will live up to his name, and fall victim to his own hubris, and then you can awkwardly die next to each other, just like in titanic. you could have shared the door, kate.

you check the sidebar, and realize what you feared: three of your team are repeatedly throwing themselves off of cliffs. the cat, your 3rd engineer, has become distracted and is trying to stack turrets on top of each other. at this point, there will be an announcement that the skyhammer is online, or something. i don't know what it is, what it does, or how to turn it online, nor will i ever, because i paid a wizard to lay a cantrip upon me that will kill me if i ever have to play skyhammer again.

at this point, your team will begin to complain about how they are the best player on your team, and it is unfair to be matched with untouchables such as you. the enemy team will sense this and immediately collapse upon whoever is typing. the salamander's final words will be 'noob war doesn't even hambossssssss6'. at this point, the skyhammer will again be online. you will still not be sure what it does. is it scrambling your teammate's brains? i think so. the phonebook has been making remarkably unsound choices.

after a few more minutes, the enemy team will reach 500 points (you will have somehow acquired 20, although no one on your team is sure how or will accept responsibility). the opponents will all thank you for your time and offer a few helpful tips to improve your play, which your teammates will drown out with hyphens, either unwilling or unable to accept that there is a profanity filter, or else really trying to explain the concept of subtraction.

that wraps up your first game of guild war 2 player versus player! i hope you had as much fun as i did, and join me next time, when i explain how to play pvp when the person yuo are queuing with has level 80 in pvp!

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

gw2 is still good

thanks for reading

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

Deformed Church posted:

Hey OP just FYI you linked Vindicator instead of Willbender in the guardian section of the OP.

Thanks for catching that.

The sPvP write up is very good, yes.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Oh good, a new thread to mostly lurk in.

I need to fire this back up soon. I miss my tree lady and large lady

I also miss how GW2 is, of all things, the best-feeling MMO to just move around in.

Mazed fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Aug 24, 2022

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

GW2 has simultaneously some of the best looking scenes still in an MMO and also the worst, it is very weird. I'll look left and be like drat that is a nice looking view, then look right and be disgusted at what appears to be a 1996 N64 art asset.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

BadLlama posted:

GW2 has simultaneously some of the best looking scenes still in an MMO and also the worst, it is very weird. I'll look left and be like drat that is a nice looking view, then look right and be disgusted at what appears to be a 1996 N64 art asset.

Did the DX11 update ever happen, and if so, did it fix some of the draw distance issues?

The environmental art direction in itself is just phenomenal. I love how well it conveys the temperature of a scene.

Full disclosure, I have yet to even try expansion areas. Though I've heard some are frustratingly designed, I kind of like it when it feels dangerous to wander off, so maybe that won't be an issue.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
Dang this plays surprisingly well on the Steam Deck after switching to community binding

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I've been playing on and off for the whole 10 years (and GW1 & LotrO before that), seems crazy. Last few years have not been as active and I've mainly been just logging in to do the story, really.

The 10 year achievements for the armor & stuff are easy enough, but it kinda hammers home the point that I may be past the world boss trains and doing mindless events mashing buttons for hours on end.

The armor is dope, though, and it looks great on my sylvari mesmer (virtuoso) who was my first character and who I picked up at EoD to complete the story with, to close the circle. (too bad the leggings make your waist super wide as usual and don't look like they fit with the chestpiece)

Welcome to new players though! Don't get overwhelmed with all the stuff that's available to you. (also I wish we could've had a raptor to start out with back in the day!)

Mazed posted:

Full disclosure, I have yet to even try expansion areas. Though I've heard some are frustratingly designed, I kind of like it when it feels dangerous to wander off, so maybe that won't be an issue.

First expansion HoT areas are the toughest, and even they have been nerfed down. But it really feels like a hostile, maze-like environment, which may or not be incredibly frustrating and fun at the same time. The name of the game is verticality. Later PoF they toned it down a lot and the maps are super open and wide and generally a lot easier to travel.

Here's my sylvari glowy lady, Aurys of Dusk.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Aug 24, 2022

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Mazed posted:

Did the DX11 update ever happen, and if so, did it fix some of the draw distance issues?

It did and it should be the default setting when you log in, now. I don't think there's any specific benefits besides general performance increases, though

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I rolled a new toon and am having a really good time, a bit bummed that most builds (at least the better necro builds in the link Deformed Church posted) require expansions. Not sure if I'm going to be getting into this so much that I'll be buying the expansions but we'll see!

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

explosivo posted:

I rolled a new toon and am having a really good time, a bit bummed that most builds (at least the better necro builds in the link Deformed Church posted) require expansions. Not sure if I'm going to be getting into this so much that I'll be buying the expansions but we'll see!

You can probably clear the whole game as a necro minionmaster with ease.

Some of the more OP builds require expansion elite specs, yea, but necro has a lot of good core options.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

TeaJay posted:

You can probably clear the whole game as a necro minionmaster with ease.

Some of the more OP builds require expansion elite specs, yea, but necro has a lot of good core options.

I think I did, lol. My necro is my level 80 but it's been so goddamn long since I played so I was looking for something new. I just said gently caress it and started over anyway as something new but that's good to know the necro minions are still pretty viable.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

TeaJay posted:

First expansion HoT areas are the toughest, and even they have been nerfed down. But it really feels like a hostile, maze-like environment, which may or not be incredibly frustrating and fun at the same time. The name of the game is verticality. Later PoF they toned it down a lot and the maps are super open and wide and generally a lot easier to travel.

It's amazing how much difference just getting the first two PoF mounts makes in terms of quality of life. HoT is what made me quit playing for like 5 years - everything felt overtuned, you couldn't walk 5 steps or even pause to look at your surroundings without being aggroed by some annoying-rear end trash mob, and the sheer verticality of the maps made the minimap all but useless.

Seeing a spot you want to get to above you and just being able to use a springer to say "nope, not dealing with this bullshit" and jump up to it instead of navigating ten miles of twisting vines and gliding through the canopy is a huge quality of life upgrade.

They still never really fixed how obnoxious the mastery grind is, but mounts made it mostly a non-issue. Not being able to use any of the actual mobility mechanics in the HoT maps until you've basically cleared the entire expansion multiple times over was an incredibly poor design decision.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I am finding PoF more of a slog, I cannot get the second mount because I do not have enough mastery points. Anywhere to get the points requires that mount so... yeah

and after typing that I found a whole area unexplored in crystal desert with the mastery point I needed.

BadLlama fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Aug 24, 2022

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I'm in the same position as others in that I played a while ago (I think when HoT released), just came back, and I'm lost looking at my characters with all of their rankings and inventories full of crap. It looks like I have 1200 gems I didn't spend which is nice. Are inventory upgrades character specific? I have an 80 engineer and 80 mesmer and I remember I used to enjoy running around with the WvW zerg. Looks like at some point I bought tools that don't wear out, a raven glider, and a copper fed salvage thingee which I don't remember what it does. I assume I should look into using gems for the story? The shop is a little disorientating. Also, I don't have any non-HoT expansions since I was kind of hoping for a sale.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I'm in the same position as others in that I played a while ago (I think when HoT released), just came back, and I'm lost looking at my characters with all of their rankings and inventories full of crap. It looks like I have 1200 gems I didn't spend which is nice. Are inventory upgrades character specific? I have an 80 engineer and 80 mesmer and I remember I used to enjoy running around with the WvW zerg. Looks like at some point I bought tools that don't wear out, a raven glider, and a copper fed salvage thingee which I don't remember what it does. I assume I should look into using gems for the story? The shop is a little disorientating. Also, I don't have any non-HoT expansions since I was kind of hoping for a sale.

There are going to be daily sales at some point during the 10 year anniversary stuff, and utility items will go on sale, so save your gems untill what you want goes on sale in the next few weeks.
Bag slots are character specific, bank slots and shared inventory are account wide.
I have one character I spend more time on than any other, so I don't mind spending money on bag slots for that character, but if you split your play time between multiple characters, you might be better off with bank slots or shared inventory, I would be very tempted to buy a shared slot at least for that copper fed salvager, and maybe for the tools, although that would require unequipping them every time you swap a character.
Shared slots are also good for stuff like stacks of unid gear, because you can split stacks and whatever you leave in the shared slot won't be salvaged.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

What should I do?

A part of me wants to start a new character and level up like normal, but that doesn't seem right.

On the other hand, nobody can tell me what to do and I am my own person.

On the other hand, I bet new content is good and better than slaying centaurs alone or whatever.

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo

jokes posted:

What should I do?

A part of me wants to start a new character and level up like normal, but that doesn't seem right.

On the other hand, nobody can tell me what to do and I am my own person.

On the other hand, I bet new content is good and better than slaying centaurs alone or whatever.

How far did you get before

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

jokes posted:

Not sure it'll be alone, noob zones seem to be packed full of people with mentor tags absolutely frothing at the mouth to find a newbie to be nice and helpful to.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

BadLlama posted:

I am finding PoF more of a slog, I cannot get the second mount because I do not have enough mastery points. Anywhere to get the points requires that mount so... yeah

and after typing that I found a whole area unexplored in crystal desert with the mastery point I needed.

I think story missions get you mastery points, too

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Pesterchum posted:

How far did you get before

I have like 10 80s from just randomly logging on and collecting birthdays and scrolls and poo poo. I also have one ascended weapon that I have from doing a GoomTEQ. I also played most of HoT and PoF and, apparently I killed Zhaiten. I have a roller beetle!!!!!!

I have never done a fractal, a strike, a raid, or anything that isn't a map meta or the story, really. I think I did WvWvWvWvW many years ago, and some sPvP grinding to get trans charges.

I think I'll make a new character.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

jokes posted:

I have like 10 80s from just randomly logging on and collecting birthdays and scrolls and poo poo. I also have one ascended weapon that I have from doing a GoomTEQ. I also played most of HoT and PoF and, apparently I killed Zhaiten. I have a roller beetle!!!!!!

I have never done a fractal, a strike, a raid, or anything that isn't a map meta or the story, really. I think I did WvWvWvWvW many years ago, and some sPvP grinding to get trans charges.

I think I'll make a new character.

Just don't delete your old ones, so you continue to get your birthday presents!

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
Mesmer supremacy! Axe Mirage is still the funnest build of any class in any mmo I’ve ever played.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

I'm just hoping they bring volatile tools back for the sale. Let me give you my money Anet.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

i miss running around doing events and stuff as a minion reaper, is that still a thing?

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Minion Necro is still a thing for sure. Take death and blood specs and just hang out passively healing and spamming marks randomly. If an enemy has the audacity to engage you personally as an equal go into death shroud. Works for most open world. Not fast but you could almost akf it.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Lordshmee posted:

Mesmer supremacy! Axe Mirage is still the funnest build of any class in any mmo I’ve ever played.

good taste detected :hfive:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Wanna buy that roadrunner mount and turn it into a chocobo

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

A decade of WvWvWednesday went swimmingly! 45 minuites of singlehandedly holding SMC then taking it back singlehandedly after those perfidious pubbies lost it. Reminder that if you like WvW SFD runs it at least once a week on Wednesday! https://discord.gg/starfleetdental!

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

BadLlama posted:

That's a good way of putting it.

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO

I dunno why people on Maguuma cry so much instead of just Getting Good like me.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

BadLlama posted:

Getting enough masteries in pre-expansion or HoT was an actual concern (Before they added a few more Tyria masteries around PoF and LW3 episodes) but PoF masteries are plentiful.
Did you check the Mastery Insight category in achievements? That lists all the mastery points that you can just go and grab without having to clear a story mission. There are only a couple that are difficult and just a single one that outright requires a specific game feature (you NEED the griffon/skyscale for one of them)

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

i'm so far behind. i haven't done any of the latest expansion and i still have some of that "return to.." stuff left to finish

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
The PoF masteries were by far the least painful to me. I returned to the game while LS4 was running and just went through the PoF story first and did map completion and almost always was ahead with points vs. mastery XP to use them. The story mission achievements give a bunch, and the mastery insights are fairly easy to find and pick up. Many of the "core" PoF quest/achievement mastery points are also not a big hassle but you might have to spend some time or /wiki them.

I thought it was a decent progression speed when I did it, and that's good because you unlock cool new mounts and useful abilities for them - and it's nowhere near as bad as core tyria if you're starting fresh, let alone HoT/LS3 (hope you like adventures!). And the LS5/IBS masteries start easy, but then they ramp up and require a bunch of bullshit grinds to finish. However: the later, expensive IBS mastery levels aren't nearly as useful so while it feels bad(TM) to not have them yet or seeing your XP bar stuck, you're not missing out on much in terms of mechanics/benefits.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

By the way, they are now selling the First Gen mount skins with a mount select license - something that was told years ago was "impossible" by the devs and basically said "it will never happen". So now I am incredibly tempted to finally get that Starbound griffon skin with the gems I have saved up over a few years. (I dig the starbound mount skins, haven't bought any other ones than those).

I have no idea how long this has been a thing but it certainly wasn't last time I played actively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mohawk Potato
Jan 15, 2008

So I started a new character as the thread suggested and man I’m leveling at twice the speed as before. I’m not even out of the starter human zone and I’m already level 23. Just turbo speed leveling.